PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Bones is History In SA

davi78239
06-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Just like I figured, Smoking Bones has shut down in San Antonio. Too bad because I actually liked that place for bbq chain. I guess this is Bill Miller Town and who would go there out to eat over all these other chains like Roadhouse, Chili's and TGI's right? That sucks but o well.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2007, 01:53 PM
That place/location was awesome when it was Razzoo's.

I didn't like Smokey Bones at all.

Flea
06-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I heard smokey bones was horrible.

marini martini
06-23-2007, 02:37 PM
I didn't like it at all :sick

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2007, 02:39 PM
:lol Guess that's why it closed huh?

exstatic
06-23-2007, 02:42 PM
I liked their food, but they died because their lunch menu was microscopic, and if you strayed from it, you were paying $11^ for fucking lunch.

Duff McCartney
06-23-2007, 02:51 PM
We need more BBQ joints in SA. I'm anti-Bill Millers...I've never liked any of their food.

T Park
06-23-2007, 02:53 PM
smokey bones was very good.

Twice the slop that is Bill Miller's joke of food.

Their grilled chicken club sandwich was the shit for lunch.

A shame. Shit resteraunts like China Harbor and Bill Millers survive and good places like Smokey Bones goes under.

This sucks as much as On the Border closing.

ggoose25
06-23-2007, 02:55 PM
On the Border blows ass

Sapphire
06-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Smokey Bones was way over-priced, and the food was not that great. We only gave it one chance, though. Maybe it was better on other days. I just remember feeling really ripped off when we left there.

Flea
06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
We need more BBQ joints in SA. I'm anti-Bill Millers...I've never liked any of their food.

The only thing I like from Bill Millers is their chicken strips.

davi78239
06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Actually I just went to their website and under the locations link, there were none listed in texas anymore so that means the ones in houston and the one they just built not too long ago in Austin closed too. They are all mostly situated on the east coast and the southern states it looks like and they wanted to give Texas a shot and it didn't work. Must be all the bbq in Texas already.

Shelly
06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I never heard of them!

scott
06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
smokey bones was very good.

Twice the slop that is Bill Miller's joke of food.

Their grilled chicken club sandwich was the shit for lunch.

A shame. Shit resteraunts like China Harbor and Bill Millers survive and good places like Smokey Bones goes under.

This sucks as much as On the Border closing.

Great post until you mentioned On the Border... this is San Antonio, and you want national-chain Mexican food? You should have your citizenship revoked.

davi78239
06-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Great post until you mentioned On the Border... this is San Antonio, and you want national-chain Mexican food? You should have your citizenship revoked.

Just like the El Chico's. They went all out of business in S.A too. Then again, Smokey Bones took a big chance coming into Texas being that Texas is already big for all the local BBQ eateries and stuff.

ZStomp
06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I also did not like Smokey Bones.

I went there ONCE. ONCE.

http://www.nitro-shopping.co.uk/images/db/movies/Johnny%20Dangerously%20(1984).jpg

T Park
06-23-2007, 06:24 PM

I'll leave the dumps and dives for you guys.

I prefer my plates and forks to be clean thanks.

On the Border was VERY good, and had some nice items, like their grilled chicken and shrimp fajitas.

Great stuff.

lebomb
06-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I had a pulled pork from Smokey Bones.....I thought it was good.

Bill Millers fuckin sucks.....their sausage tastes like rubber.

Fuck Bill Millers wack ass BBQ.....brothas hate that shit. Rudys is 10 times better.....so is Bobs smoke house. The place in Cibolo is good too.

TheTruth
06-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Smokey Bones sucked.

scott
06-23-2007, 06:59 PM

On the Border was VERY good, and had some nice items, like their grilled chicken and shrimp fajitas.

Great stuff.

Well, at least you followed one stupid statement up with another! There are TONS of great Mexican restaurants here in San Antonio with "clean plates and forks" if you just venture outside of the Chili's/Applebees/Joe Crab Shack mentality. La Hacendia will be featured on the food network coming up - a puffy taco throwdown with Bobby Flay. I guess Bobby and Food Network just thought filthy utensils were part of the charm.

scott
06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
nevermind

lebomb
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Smokey Bones sucked.

Maybe, but it was a HELL of alot better than Bill Millers.....that shit is a SAD excuse for BBQ. The BBQ sauce is like watered down ketchup..... :vomit:

The BBQ doesnt even taste bar b qued.....it tastes boiled and baked.

TheTruth
06-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm with you on that LeBomb. But there are so many other great BBQ options in San Antonio, that there is no reason to shed a tear over Smokey Bones. There BBQ sucked in comparison to other places in San Anto.

TheTruth
06-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Even Bill Millers has really good Fried Chicken and Chicken Strips.

ZStomp
06-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I had a pulled pork from Smokey Bones.....I thought it was good.

Bill Millers fuckin sucks.....their sausage tastes like rubber.

Fuck Bill Millers wack ass BBQ.....brothas hate that shit. Rudys is 10 times better.....so is Bobs smoke house. The place in Cibolo is good too.

Bill Milllers sausage is the bomb!!
The freaken sausage is delicious!!

Why you hating on Bill Millers? They are obviously good because they are still around.

Can't beat the price either.

ShoogarBear
06-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Bill Miller's ice tea rules after an afternoon of hoops or tennis.

The rest, eh.

ObiwanGinobili
06-23-2007, 08:12 PM
oh god I love bill millers tea.

lebomb
06-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Bill Milllers sausage is the bomb!!
The freaken sausage is delicious!!

Why you hating on Bill Millers? They are obviously good because they are still around.

Can't beat the price either.

You obviously have not had good sausage before......try Lockhart and Luling sausage. Hell, try my BBQ'd sausage :spin

I have to admit....Bill Millers tea, and chicken is good....thats IT! Their pies arent bad.....but the BBQ..........YUCK!!!!

katyon6th
06-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Bill Miller's tea and brownies ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

SCdac
06-23-2007, 09:09 PM
I wonder how much they payed for all those TV's in there. I guess if you can't get away from sports for an hour it's cool, but I thought it was bit much (tacky I suppose). Only went to Smokey Bones once, felt like I was paying for everything but the food. Thought the sides were better than the meat. Didn't ever go back there. Had less to do with me not liking it, and more to do with me not being too impressed.

As for Bill Millers, it's good stuff. Used to eat the ribs alot as a kid, not too much anymore. The fried chicken is decent. Everything is pretty decent (the brisket can be hit and miss). But I wouldn't really call it anything more than fast-food. I agree that nothing really tastes grilled or "barbequed", but it's still ok, as long as you consider it as fast-food.

bendmz
06-23-2007, 09:19 PM
The only thing I like from Bill Millers is their chicken strips.

I like them girls in them blue jeans mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wow

Sapphire
06-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Has anyone tried Blue Cactus Cafe on Wetmore? They have good bbq, and it's a fun place to go eat.

blackbucket
06-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Smokey Bones had the BEST ribs. The Carolinas were absolutely delicious. I was sad to see they had shut down. Something about that location. Nothing can make it there and it a nice building, mature oaks and off of 281. It is a bit pushed back from the frontage however. That and the oaks do make it tough to see from the highway. Maybe that has something to do with neither restaurant being able to make it.

ZStomp
06-23-2007, 11:41 PM
You obviously have not had good sausage before......try Lockhart and Luling sausage. Hell, try my BBQ'd sausage :spin

I have to admit....Bill Millers tea, and chicken is good....thats IT! Their pies arent bad.....but the BBQ..........YUCK!!!!

If you're talking about the one named Cruz Barbeque or something like that...no thanks. Had it and didn't like it.

mrsmaalox
06-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Never went there because all the reviews were bad. I should have tried for myself!

SA210
06-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Everytime I go to Austin I gotta brink back some Sam's BarBQue. If only they had that here.

UtownSpur
06-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Smokey Bones had the BEST ribs. The Carolinas were absolutely delicious. I was sad to see they had shut down. Something about that location. Nothing can make it there and it a nice building, mature oaks and off of 281. It is a bit pushed back from the frontage however. That and the oaks do make it tough to see from the highway. Maybe that has something to do with neither restaurant being able to make it.

I agree...the BabyBacks at Smokey Bones were awesome! I went to eat dinner there about a month ago and it was gone! Thats too bad. The pulled pork was great there too. I liked how they had the 3 different styles of sause as well.

T Park
06-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Yeah their sauces rocked too.

As for Bobby Flay going to places for throwdown.

he went to Pink's hotdogs for a hot dog throw down.

Give me a break. A dodger dog is better than pink's.

The best bar b q, does not rest in San antonio.

It rests in el Paso, Phoenix, California, and other assorted places.

Famous dave's bar b q.

The best sausage, the best ribs.

Come on Famous dave's.

Bring one to San antone.

Nevermind
06-24-2007, 03:48 AM
nevermind

I couldn't have said it.............oh, nevermind.

Po'Boy
06-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Bill Miller's is great but the locals just like to bitch.

T Park
06-24-2007, 03:58 AM
Bill Miller's is barely edible for dogs for christ sake.

ZStomp
06-24-2007, 04:27 AM

Yea, that makes sense because nobody eats there and they don't have any business. :rolleyes

Jekka
06-24-2007, 04:37 AM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/weezywantscoffee/blockheadtpark.jpg

Just because a kitchen is small does not mean it's dirty. Not to mention, unless I'm mistaken, you yourself are involved in a family-owned business, no? What exactly do you accomplish by condemning eateries that are often local family-owned businesses? Way to support your community.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 04:38 AM
This thread shows how much people's tastes differ. We tried Smokey Bone's twice and found it to be disgusting and overpriced.

The ribs were absolutely horrible - you could get better ribs almost anywhere in town. To me, there was literally nothing redeeming about the place and I was surprised it lasted this long.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2007, 04:49 AM
That place/location was awesome when it was Razzoo's.
Dude I loved that place. And they had huge drinks. I used to go there for happy our way back in 01-02 or so.

ZStomp
06-24-2007, 04:54 AM
http://www.starling-travel.com/wp-content/P1030788.jpg

:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

Po'Boy
06-24-2007, 07:18 AM

I guess there are many people hungrier than a dog in SA.

johnsmith
06-24-2007, 08:07 AM
You just had to know that the most passionate person posting in a thread about food would be T Park.

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Never been to Smokey Bones, but we like Bill Miller's. I guess we must be part of the "barely edible for dogs" crowd. The same crowd, btw, that has kept Mr. Miller and his 67 stores in business for over 50 years.

http://www.msnemotions.org/massuploads/emoticon/1076-shrug.gif

Buddy Holly
06-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Come on guys, give TPark a break, for christ sakes the guy justs drives down the freeway looking for frontage road restaurants. Do you think he has the time or the patience to drive outside the frontage road zone? He's a hungry fella.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.starling-travel.com/wp-content/P1030788.jpg

:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

LOL.....this shit is NOT BBQ.....boiled meat, baked and then processed at a location downtown to be distributed throughout the city isnt BBQ.

Gosh, if you people had real BBQ you would know the difference.

If you really, really want good BBQ, you have to hit Kansas City, or Memphis Tenn. But, that is another story all together.

Bill Millers is NOT BBQ any way you slice it or dice it.....Sorry!! :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
06-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Who cares what it is if its good?

CharlieMac
06-24-2007, 10:50 AM
T, I have witnessed way more health violations at the larger food chains than the few smaller restaurants I have worked at.

Plus, dont ever, EVER disrespect Bill Millers again.

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Gosh, if you people had real BBQ you would know the difference.

If you really, really want good BBQ, you have to hit Kansas City, or Memphis Tenn. But, that is another story all together.

This is really stupid. If I like it, I'm pretty sure it's good to me. And judging by the success of that restaurant, I'm not alone. :shootme

Funny, the few times I've been to Rudy's I wasn't impressed. Mostly because the meat was tough and dry and mostly burnt and I didn't like their sauce. But I really don't feel it necessary to insult people and try to tell them that they shouldn't like it because it doesn't meet my own standards. " :rolleyes "

CharlieMac
06-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Also, Bob's Smokehouse, (it might just be called "the smokehouse" now) off Rigsby and Walters has great BBQ.

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
And The BBQ Station @ Harry Wurzbach & 410 has always been pretty good, too. :fro

CharlieMac
06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Rudys has failed me the past two times. It's been really dry. Luckily I put so much BBQ sauce on it I dont really taste the dryness. I should also look into using a straw from now on.

leemajors
06-24-2007, 11:00 AM
it's all about the city market in luling, that place is badass. sams on east 12th street in austin is great too, esp for brisket.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Dude I loved that place. And they had huge drinks. I used to go there for happy our way back in 01-02 or so.

When it was Razzoo's, LJ and I used to hang there when I lived in L.A. and would visit San Antonio on the weekends. It was sort of our date place :lol I really liked that place.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:03 AM
This is really stupid. If I like it, I'm pretty sure it's good to me. And judging by the success of that restaurant, I'm not alone. :shootme

Funny, the few times I've been to Rudy's I wasn't impressed. Mostly because the meat was tough and dry and mostly burnt and I didn't like their sauce. But I really don't feel it necessary to insult people and try to tell them that they shouldn't like it because it doesn't meet my own standards. " :rolleyes "

Its not an insult.......Do you call Taco Bell mexican food?? :rolleyes

Its the same damn thing.......people who know what real BBQ is would agree.

And as far as Rudys being a bit dry....well, that is because it was on a BBQ pit and barbequed......Bill Millers is regulated in doors in an oven. LOL.....easy to keep it moist.

Also that Bill Millers sausage is the absolute worst crap ever.......most people enjoy Bill Millers BBQ because its cheap as dirt......it tastes like it.

:lol

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I have to mention that the worst BBQ place that we have been to in recent memory was the Grady's on Bandera Road. :vomit:

Grady's hasn't been horrible when we have gone there before, but this location was awful.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:05 AM
When it was Razzoo's, LJ and I used to hang there when I lived in L.A. and would visit San Antonio on the weekends. It was sort of our date place :lol I really liked that place.

I liked Razzoos also......my wife and i would share the seafood platter.......for $13 we could not finish it.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey, Im just stating my opinion like everyone else has......if someone likes Bill Millers baked meats fine, thats good...........personally I just like their chicken and pies......thats it.

PS. BBQ isnt supposed to be boiled and then baked IMHO.

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Its the same damn thing.......people who know what real BBQ is would agree.

And as far as Rudys being a bit dry....well, that is because it was on a BBQ pit and barbequed......Bill Millers is regulated in doors in an oven. LOL.....easy to keep it moist.

As far as being insulting, I was referring more to the "not fit for dogs" remark. And liking Bill Miller's and knowing what "real" BBQ is is not mutually exclusive. Although, if your definition of "real" BBQ is dry, burnt meat...then no, thanks. :drunk

And I don't like Taco Bell, but I do like Taco Cabana. Does that count under the ":rolleyes" category?

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 11:12 AM
And Grady's is probably the worst BBQ I've every tried. :vomit:

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
And Grady's is probably the worst BBQ I've every tried. :vomit:

Worse than Bill Millers??? How is that possible?

LuvBones
06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
My dad has ruined bbq for me at any other place.. nothing, i say Nothing beats his bbq!! :lol

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:15 AM
As far as being insulting, I was referring more to the "not fit for dogs" remark. And liking Bill Miller's and knowing what "real" BBQ is is not mutually exclusive. Although, if your definition of "real" BBQ is dry, burnt meat...then no, thanks. :drunk

And I don't like Taco Bell, but I do like Taco Cabana. Does that count under the ":rolleyes" category?

And rubbery meat (sausage)......and brisket that tastes baked and not BBQ'd with watery ketchup tasting sauce is OK with you?? LOL!! That deserves a :rolleyes

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
PS. BBQ isnt supposed to be boiled and then baked IMHO.

I don't know about boiled, but I've seen the chefs on the Food Network recommend baking (chicken, especially) before grilling as a great shortcut in making sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked. And that does work really well. :tu

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I don't know about boiled, but I've the chefs on the Food Network recommend baking (chicken, especially) before grilling as a great shortcut in making sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked. And that does work really well. :tu

I would love for you to taste my BBQ'd chicken.....I sear the outside.....move it to the other end of the grill.....lid down, and let it smoke for 1.5-2hrs.....juicy, falls off the bone and its real BBQ. :toast

Ginofan
06-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Bill Millers is good for what it is. A quick place to buy inexpensive dinner for the entire family. We aren't asking for a gourmet meal when we decide to go to Bill Millers. Why do you keep trying to compare it to GREAT BBQ places Lebomb?

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 11:19 AM
And rubbery meat (sausage)......and brisket that tastes baked and not BBQ'd with watery ketchup tasting sauce is OK with you?? LOL!! That deserves a :rolleyes

Yes, and I especially like it because I can pay for it with vbookie money. :rolleyes

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Too bad about Smokey bones....but, Oh well. Have a good week everyone. Im going to thaw out some chicken and sausage to BBQ this evening. Yall have made me crave some BBQ. Bye. :elephant

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Bill Millers is good for what it is. A quick place to buy inexpensive dinner for the entire family. We aren't asking for a gourmet meal when we decide to go to Bill Millers. Why do you keep trying to compare it to GREAT BBQ places Lebomb?

I will answer this quickly and then gotta go. The places I mentioned arent really expensive. The BBQ in luling, lockhart, Rudys and Bobs is pretty cheap. Its real BBQ also. I dont consider Miller real BBQ. Just my humble opinion. Later.

SpursWoman
06-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I would love for you to taste my BBQ'd chicken.....I sear the outside.....move it to the other end of the grill.....lid down, and let it smoke for 1.5-2hrs.....juicy, falls off the bone and its real BBQ. :toast

That's great. But after work I usually don't have 3 hours to spend making dinner, when I can go pick up Bill Miller's in 20 minutes or less. :spin

And I'm sure as hell not driving to Luling just to get food. :lol

TheTruth
06-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Jesus, if you guys want "REAL" BBQ come down to Floresville every other weekend and I'll let you try some of my ribs and brisket. It aint done if it takes less than 12 hours.

TheTruth
06-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I will answer this quickly and then gotta go. The places I mentioned arent really expensive. The BBQ in luling, lockhart, Rudys and Bobs is pretty cheap. Its real BBQ also. I dont consider Miller real BBQ. Just my humble opinion. Later.
Good thing those are on the corner on my way home from work.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Good thing those are on the corner on my way home from work.

Wasnt talking about convenience......was talking about real BBQ vs :( .

Have a great weekend everyone!!!! :toast

johnsmith
06-24-2007, 12:13 PM
I think it's funny that people are getting this upset at others calling Bill Millers garbage.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Its the same damn thing.......

Except the meat and beans at Taco Bell are powdered.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Also, Bob's Smokehouse, (it might just be called "the smokehouse" now) off Rigsby and Walters has great BBQ.That's the absolute best place in town, for my money.

johnsmith
06-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Except the meat and beans at Taco Bell are powdered.

Dude, you keep talking about powdered meat and beans and T Park is gonna go spend his savings at Taco Bell.

You don't want to be responsible for that do you?

DoubtingThomas
06-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I lived in Kansas City for 2 years and their BBQ ain't all that. Then of course this is coming from a man who grew up on Texas BBQ. KC is known for its BBQ but even at the great BBQ cook offs I went to you'd find a hundred different way to cook and they all swear their way is the REAL Way. :lmao I didn't believe a one of them.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I lived in Kansas City for 2 years and their BBQ ain't all that. Then of course this is coming from a man who grew up on Texas BBQ. KC is known for its BBQ but even at the great BBQ cook offs I went to you'd find a hundred different way to cook and they all swear their way is the REAL Way. :lmao I didn't believe a one of them.

Hehehehe.....just checkin back on this thread after I made some delicious BBQ'd chicken N sausage....at least IMHO.

We all have our own tastes......we should all know that. If someone likes Bill Millers.....cool. Anyhow, I love Texas BBQ the best also......east of the Mississippi.....they call Pork BBQ....they arent used to beef BBQ'd anything.

I think Memphis BBQ is awesome as well......2nd to Texas :smokin

KEDA
06-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Hehehehe.....just checkin back on this thread after I made some delicious BBQ'd chicken N sausage....at least IMHO.

We all have our own tastes......we should all know that. If someone likes Bill Millers.....cool. Anyhow, I love Texas BBQ the best also......east of the Mississippi.....they call Pork BBQ....they arent used to beef BBQ'd anything.

I think Memphis BBQ is awesome as well......2nd to Texas :smokin

dude, seriously

If your BBQ is so gotdamn special, like I have read over the past 4 pages, then sell the shit at a restaurant.

Congrats on making the best BBQ chicken this side of heaven, Im glad you are proud of it, but you have said it in almost every post that you have made in this thread.

Oh and Bill Millers is good shit, MY opinion!

scott
06-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree that Bill Millers is NOT real BBQ... the Taco Cabana analogy is a decent one. However, unlike Taco Bell I think Bill Millers is decent for a quick meal.

With that said, Texas does have great BBQ, just not so much in San Antonio. Best BBQ I've ever had was the Railhead in Ft. Worth. I'll take good authentic Texas BBQ over KC, Carolinas, or Tenn. style BBQ (unless its pulled pork, then it has to be Carolinas), but that's just personal preference... I like a little heat to my sauce.

GoldToe
06-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Bill Millers is real enough for me. To say it not real BBQ is BS. At all the BBQ's I've been to there is brisket, sausage, chicken, fajitas, burgers, hot dogs. It is meat cooked over heat. Don't need a college degree do you?

Shelly
06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Salt Lick is pretty damn good too!

katyon6th
06-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Fuck BBQ, it's too messy.

GoldToe
06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Fuck BBQ, it's too messy.

There are other things that are messy but I still love 'em!!

Mark in Austin
06-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I've been very disappointed the the original Rudy's out on I-10. The franchised location on 360 in Austin is pretty damn consistantly great.

Lockhart has some damn fine 'que.

Bill Miller is more affordable than any of the "great" 'que places talked about here, and is good when you're in a hurry. It's not the best, but as long as you stay away from the chop, it will work in a pinch. Plus, I like the apple pie.

The absolute worst I've ever has was at a chain called Rib Crib. Christ was it awful.

Oh, and the only "Tex-Mex" food worse than On the Border is Don Pablos. But they're both shit. One or two decent offerings on a menu does not attone for trying to open a chain restaurant that appeals to what people from Iowa think is Mexican food in TEXAS.

CheapBastard
06-24-2007, 06:18 PM
I enjoy a nice hot McRib sammich myself.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2007, 06:39 PM
McRib.

:lmao

exstatic
06-24-2007, 07:10 PM
McRib.

:lmao
McRib is to BBQ what pressboard is to mahogany.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 07:14 PM
dude, seriously

If your BBQ is so gotdamn special, like I have read over the past 4 pages, then sell the shit at a restaurant.

Congrats on making the best BBQ chicken this side of heaven, Im glad you are proud of it, but you have said it in almost every post that you have made in this thread.

Oh and Bill Millers is good shit, MY opinion!

STFU.....you are an idiot and dont know shit about BBQ if you think Bill Millers is end all as you say. You obviously CANT make it your gottdayum self either. :rolleyes

lebomb
06-24-2007, 07:15 PM
If yall truly knew how they make Bill Millers yall would.......... :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2007, 07:18 PM
STFU.....you are an idiot and dont know shit about BBQ if you think Bill Millers is end all as you say. You obviously CANT make it your gottdayum self either. :rolleyes

I fail to see where he said Bill Miller's was the "end all."

The UTSA Alumni Association called, they'd like you to stop embarrassing them.

DoubtingThomas
06-24-2007, 07:26 PM
If yall truly knew how they make Bill Millers yall would.......... :lol

If you knew how most food was made you'd blow chunks. BBQ can be made so many different ways it is useless to trully say you know anymore about BBQ than I do. Yeah, that goes for you too Bobby Flay!

katyon6th
06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
lebomb is serious about his BBQ, don't fuck with him.

Richard Cranium
06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
lebomb is serious about his BBQ, don't fuck with him.

Yeah, for him BBQ is lebomb.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 07:54 PM

lebomb
06-24-2007, 07:55 PM

lebomb
06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Ya know what......Yall are right....excuse me. Im sorry to offend Bill Millers.....its a great value.....great BBQ for the price. Im sorry. Please forgive me.

Im sorry UTSA.....forgive me.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
:rolleyes ..............and what is your alumni association??

http://star.txstate.edu/templates/rhuk_solarflare_ii/images/header.png

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
But seriously, you're calling Billy an idiot for calling Bill Miller's something he didn't call them.

Who's the idiot here?

lebomb
06-24-2007, 08:02 PM
But seriously, you're calling Billy an idiot for calling Bill Miller's something he didn't call them.

Who's the idiot here?

Man....its not that big of a deal. Bill Millers is cool. I dont care for it, but that doesnt mean it sucks to everyone else.

Oh by the way no wonder we dont see eye to eye.....Texas State???

LOL

katyon6th
06-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Ya know what......Yall are right....excuse me. Im sorry to offend Bill Millers.....its a great value.....great BBQ for the price. Im sorry. Please forgive me.

Im sorry UTSA.....forgive me.

Screw that. Don't stop with your bill-miller's-is-crap-i'm-the-BBQ-king banter. It's entertaining.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Screw that. Don't stop with your bill-miller's-is-crap-i'm-the-BBQ-king banter. It's entertaining.

Nope...aint worth it. Yall are like the Spurs when it comes to Bill Millers.......GREAT DEFENSE!!!!

blizz
06-24-2007, 08:10 PM
count me in on the smokey bones sucked balls bandwagon. horrible food and service. the salt lick owns!

CharlieMac
06-24-2007, 08:45 PM
I used to get furious sitting in class at UTSA when I was a junior and I would sit next to a few seniors. I wondered "How the fuck are these people so close to getting a degree?!?!"

This thread reminds me of those moments.

lebomb
06-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I used to get furious sitting in class at UTSA when I was a junior and I would sit next to a few seniors. I wondered "How the fuck are these people so close to getting a degree?!?!"

This thread reminds me of those moments.

I used to make the juniors carry my books. :p:

ObiwanGinobili
06-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Salt Lick is going to feed me next sunday.
they better be prepared 'cause I'm not eating starting friday night so I'll be good and ready! :spin

davi78239
06-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Salt Lick is going to feed me next sunday.
they better be prepared 'cause I'm not eating starting friday night so I'll be good and ready! :spin

Where is Salt Lick at? Back to Smokey Bones, yes it was pricey but it was a good alternative as far as eating out and what I got they served you plenty. The sauces kicked ass and their baked beans and fries were the bomb! Oh and how can I forget those bag of donuts for dessert!

Shelly
06-24-2007, 11:28 PM
http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

BeerIsGood!
06-24-2007, 11:46 PM
I really liked Smokey Bones in Raleigh, NC when I was working there for a few months a couple of years ago. I would hang out there with some people from Duke and UNC and watch the College ball wars - great time.

As for Bar-b-que, my favorites are in remote locations so I don't get to go often -

Cooper's Pit Bar-b-que in Mason, Texas is my fav for the mesquite smoked goodness.

IceColdBrewski
06-25-2007, 05:28 AM
Bill Miller's sucks ass. How anyone can stomach that stuff is a mystery to me. Their tea is great, but other than that, gagsville. The best Que in the world comes right off the grill in my own back yard, but if I have to settle for the fast food variety, I'm going with Rudy's or Grady's.

Po'Boy
06-25-2007, 05:50 AM
In our breakroom I can almost guarantee you'll find someone having Bill Miller's for lunch,

ShoogarBear
06-25-2007, 05:55 AM
LMAO at the number of people in here who don't know they're only in the running for second place when it comes to backyard BBQing.

lebomb
06-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Bill Miller's sucks ass. How anyone can stomach that stuff is a mystery to me. Their tea is great, but other than that, gagsville. The best Que in the world comes right off the grill in my own back yard, but if I have to settle for the fast food variety, I'm going with Rudy's or Grady's.

Im stunned, I thought I was the only one in The Club that doesnt like Millers, other than their chicken, pies and tea.

For quick BBQ I go to Rudys or Gradys also.

Backyard is the best.

batman2883
06-25-2007, 08:14 AM
rudy's is the best place in town

KEDA
06-25-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Granzins in New Braunfels. That is my favorite, next is Rudy's, and Bill Millers for a quick fix.

And Im talking about the walk-up BBQ joint, which is different than the meat market.

ToughActinTinactin
06-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Call me crazy but I like Tom's Ribs.

samikeyp
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I like Bill Millers and Shoog was right on about their tea.

Its not the best BBQ but for quick and cheap, I always liked it.

Rudy's absolutely rocks and, I don't know if its open still or not but Keno's in New Braunfels used to be pretty good as well.

Then again....in Lansing any decent BBQ would be nice! :lol

Po'Boy
06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
I like Bill Millers and Shoog was right on about their tea.

Its not the best BBQ but for quick and cheap, I always liked it.

Rudy's absolutely rocks and, I don't know if its open still or not but Keno's in New Braunfels used to be pretty good as well.

Then again....in Lansing any decent BBQ would be nice! :lol

Check out Smokey Jones (http://www.smokeybones.com/Menu/default.asp) Not bad.

Or you can check out Texas Roadhouse over on Edgwood Blvd.

samikeyp
06-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Or you can check out Texas Roadhouse over on Edgwood Blvd.

I have been there...its actually very close to my house and also next to Hooters. :)

I will have to try Smokey Jones. :lol

mrsmaalox
06-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Call me crazy but I like Tom's Ribs.
You are crazy! But then so am I because I really like Tom's also. The BBQ is very consistent (eat-in or takeout); brisket and chicken always excellent, ribs and sausage very good. I've been let down by the other places (Rudy's/Grady's) because once they are great then the next time it's dissapointing. Haven't done Bill Miller's in over 10 years, because I didn't care for it, but I think it's time fora re-try.

Spurfect
06-25-2007, 09:55 AM
my co-workers go to Bill Miller's often. I myself have only ever had their white meat chicken salad. that's all i have ever tasted from there, so I can't say if it is good or not. But I'm with those of you who said Salt Lick. best place for bbq i've ever had and my friend agrees :tu

degenerate_gambler
06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
count me in on the smokey bones sucked balls bandwagon.

smokey bonez fucked up by their lack of research. BBQ tastes are regional.

In Texas, beef (brisket) is king.

They thought they could cruise into the state with their pork bullshit and it blew up in their face.

Go back east fuckers.

lebomb
06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
smokey bonez fucked up by their lack of research. BBQ tastes are regional.

In Texas, beef (brisket) is king.

They thought they could cruise into the state with their pork bullshit and it blew up in their face.

Go back east fuckers.

Actually their pulled pork was delicious. :huh

degenerate_gambler
06-25-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Granzins in New Braunfels. That is my favorite, next is Rudy's, and Bill Millers for a quick fix.

And Im talking about the walk-up BBQ joint, which is different than the meat market.

smart man.

Boris
06-25-2007, 10:41 AM
If Bill Miller's was open late at night I guarantee they'd have partiers showing op to stuff the holes in their faces.

The sone
06-25-2007, 10:49 AM
me gusta el "Beel Meellers"...

mrsmaalox
06-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey, about 10-15yrs ago my husband used to come here on business and we always heard about a place called "Bun & Barrel". I believe it was on Austin Hwy and was real popular with the Ft. Sam lunch crowd. Maybe it's just a bar now but it was supposed to have decent BBQ. Anybody know of it?

SAtoDallas
06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey, about 10-15yrs ago my husband used to come here on business and we always heard about a place called "Bun & Barrel". I believe it was on Austin Hwy and was real popular with the Ft. Sam lunch crowd. Maybe it's just a bar now but it was supposed to have decent BBQ. Anybody know of it?
Yeah, I've never heard of their food though. When I was growing up in SA people used to take their hot rods and hang out on weekends.

The best thing about Bill Millers is the tea, fried chicken and pies the bbq isn't all that, not bad if you don't have time to cook yourself and it's cheap. Bob's on the eastside is way better.

Soul_Patch
06-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I never get the bbq at millers, just the chicken.

I like rudy's quite a bit...and Bob's on the east side is the shit.

samikeyp
06-25-2007, 12:02 PM
The best thing about Bill Millers is the tea, fried chicken and pies the bbq isn't all that, not bad if you don't have time to cook yourself and it's cheap. Bob's on the eastside is way better.

Also...if you get there right before closing, you can get stuff really cheap...they would rather sell it for something than throw it out.

PM5K
06-25-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm surprised at how peoples opinions differ...

I for example can't stand Bill Millers chicken, it's not bad per say, but compared to what I can get at Church's for half the price, I'd much rather have that, especially their spicy chicken...

AlamoSpursFan
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
As for Bar-b-que, my favorites are in remote locations so I don't get to go often -

Cooper's Pit Bar-b-que in Mason, Texas is my fav for the mesquite smoked goodness.

Haven't been to that one, but the Cooper's in Junction and the Cooper's in Llano are outstanding.

And if you're in Austin on a late Sunday morning, hit up Stubb's for the Brunch buffet.

PM5K
06-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Haven't been to that one, but the Cooper's in Junction and the Cooper's in Llano are outstanding.

And if you're in Austin on a late Sunday morning, hit up Stubb's for the Brunch buffet.

I like their sauce, the original tastes similar to Rudy's, and their chicken marinade is quite tasty...

SpursWoman
06-25-2007, 03:21 PM

We just had that today ... and it was excellent. That place has been around since Austin Hwy was a dirt road.