PDA

View Full Version : Butler Rumor

Russ
06-24-2007, 12:37 AM
For what it's worth, "Daily Hoops" has a rumor that the Spurs are trying to move Jackie "Papers" Butler. Utah looks like a possibilty according to this source.

Two rumors have been flying around in recent hours, the first is very minor and the second is even less important. The first rumor is that San Antonio is looking to move Jackie Butler, Butler was signed by the Spurs last off-season but he never made the rotation. Butler is seen as somewhat of a head case by the Spurs brass and they are looking to move his contract. One suitor for a possible deal with the Spurs is the Utah Jazz, Jazz Owner Larry Miller stated on a local radio show that the Jazz are looking at moving up in the second round of the draft. The Jazz and Spurs could possibly swap Butler and the 33rd pick in draft for Jarron Collins. Collins is a player that the Spurs have looked at twice, once in 2002 and last year before he re-signed with the Jazz. The second rumor is that the Dallas Mavericks are looking to trade the 60th pick in the draft, the only team which has even a little interest in this pick could be the Toronto Raptors, who don’t have any picks in this years draft. The Raptors trading for the last pick in the draft is highly unlikely however, since they recent traded two second round picks to Detroit and wouldn’t risk trading a pick beyond 2011.

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Giving up the 33 just to get rid of the Butler contract? Fuck no.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2007, 12:40 AM
:lmao Butler+#33 overall pick for Jarron Collins! :lmao

objective
06-24-2007, 12:42 AM
the express had reported before the all-star break that the Spurs were looking to move Butler, so it should be expected for him to still be on the block.

re: Collins

sure the salaries match, but no cutting option on Collins in summer 08, so if the 08 plan is still breathing Collins doesn't help. Besides, giving up the 33 just to get Collins? Seems like a waste to me.

Beno Udrih
06-24-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't even know where to begin.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't even know where to begin.
You can begin next season in Cleveland.

Beno Udrih
06-24-2007, 12:45 AM
You can begin next season in Cleveland.
:depressed

koopa
06-24-2007, 12:46 AM
why would they want to move a 22 year old that has a shitload of potential with a small contract??? that's just fucking retarded to even think about.......i hate the media, they bring up some stupid ass shit

and why would we give up him and #33 pick for a fucking bum?? we might have well just kept rasho

Beno Udrih
06-24-2007, 12:46 AM
:depressed
I still bang more chicks than you though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2007, 12:49 AM
I still bang more chicks than you though.
:lol Touche!

objective
06-24-2007, 12:57 AM
why would they want to move a 22 year old that has a shitload of potential with a small contract??? that's just fucking retarded to even think about.......i hate the media, they bring up some stupid ass shit

Maybe he doesn't have as much potential as people think. He was a fat guy who put up okay numbers with a lot of garbage buckets on a terrible team A n inexperienced system-wise Oberto ran Butler's butt off in a game in 06, he made Oberto look like Elson.

Ludden is the one iirc who reported earlier this year on how the Spurs were looking to move him. If Ludden puts it out there, consider it an officically sanctioned story. Maybe it was done to motivate Butler, but remember, the Spurs had such little faith in Butler that they traded mid-season for Melvin Ely. That should verify how little they care for him.

I suppose the best way to look at it was they gambled on offering contracts to two RFAs, hoping that one would pan out. So far one has, somewhat. The other (Butler) was a calculated risk.

The only thing I find undesirable is having to give up the 33 just to get another bottom of the bencher in Collins. No need to do that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Regardless of the Spurs offseason transactions concerning the frontcourt, Jackie Butler should get at least 10mpg next season.

objective
06-24-2007, 01:01 AM
anybody heard anything about whether Butler would be in the summer league? Only thing I've seen was when announcements were first made for the Vegas league only James White and Mahinmi were listed.

Butler pulled out of summer league for the Knicks last year because of his free agent status at the time, and considering his lack of time this season, he should be on that team if he's still a Spur.

Beno Udrih
06-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Maybe it was done to motivate Butler, but remember, the Spurs had such little faith in Butler that they traded mid-season for Melvin Ely. That should verify how little they care for him.
Um wasn't the Ely trade for cap reasons?

baseline bum
06-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Maybe it was done to motivate Butler, but remember, the Spurs had such little faith in Butler that they traded mid-season for Melvin Ely. That should verify how little they care for him.

The trade for Ely was about cutting salary. I can see the team having to make a move like this to clear room to pay Oberto and possibly bring Scola. Fabricio's definitely earned a raise, and would be crazy if he didn't opt out.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:04 AM
That would be the dumbest trade in Spurs history. If the Spurs think Butler sucks after next season, they can just not pick up his player option.

Why would the Spurs give up the 33 pick for a guy who will be a third string center at best and is under contract for the next two seasons?

No part of the trade makes sense.

Russ
06-24-2007, 01:05 AM
With Elson looking like a steal and Oberto rising from the dead this year, Butler may be the odd man out. He also has a relatively large contract for a taxi squad guy.

The Spurs have enough intriguing players (and draft picks) now that roster spots are becoming precious. Horry's coming back and Elson and Oberto are keepers. Butler may be baggage they can no longer afford to carry.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:05 AM
The trade for Ely was about cutting salary. I can see the team having to make a move like this to clear room to pay Oberto and possibly bring Scola. Fabricio's definitely earned a raise, and would be crazy if he didn't opt out.

This move add $600K to the books and another fully guaranteed season.

Slinkyman
06-24-2007, 01:07 AM
i can the spurs trading butler for collins since collins actually makes 500,000 dollars less then butler over the next 2 years, but i can't see them giving up that 33rd pick for basicly nothing.

koopa
Maybe he doesn't have as much potential as people think. He was a fat guy who put up okay numbers with a lot of garbage buckets on a terrible team A n inexperienced system-wise Oberto ran Butler's butt off in a game in 06, he made Oberto look like Elson.

Ludden is the one iirc who reported earlier this year on how the Spurs were looking to move him. If Ludden puts it out there, consider it an officically sanctioned story. Maybe it was done to motivate Butler, but remember, the Spurs had such little faith in Butler that they traded mid-season for Melvin Ely. That should verify how little they care for him.

I suppose the best way to look at it was they gambled on offering contracts to two RFAs, hoping that one would pan out. So far one has, somewhat. The other (Butler) was a calculated risk.

The only thing I find undesirable is having to give up the 33 just to get another bottom of the bencher in Collins. No need to do that.

ludden is a bum too lol, i don't care, i hate the media, they are all full of shit and half the time never right...........

and the part i put in bold is what makes this whole rumor full of shit........ there is no way you give up a legit center and the 33rd pick in a deep draft up for a peice of shit that ain't nowhere as good as his twin brother, and that's pretty sad cause his brother sucks complete ass too

baseline bum
This move add $600K to the books and another fully guaranteed season.

Shit, the team must be really sour on him then. While Jackie Butler most likely sucks, we already know 100% that Jarron Collins does.

exstatic
Collins is fucking horrible. I can see them maybe moving Butler, but not Butler and a beautiful high second round pick for a bum like Collins.

Mr. Body
Obviously it takes little to run an NBA rumor site - just make shit up. It's fun reading the quoted section above and figure out at what point the fantasy starts. Shopping Butler? Sure. For this bitch-ass deal? Nuh-uh.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 01:08 AM
With Elson looking like a steal and Oberto rising from the dead this year, Butler may be the odd man out. He also has a relatively large contract for a taxi squad guy.

The Spurs have enough intriguing players (and draft picks) now that roster spots are becoming precious. Horry's coming back and Elson and Oberto are keepers. Butler may be baggage they can no longer afford to carry.

I can't believe you said Elson was a steal and a keeper.

He sucks.

timvp
Butler may be baggage they can no longer afford to carry.

That could be the case. But this trade is the opposite of what the Spurs would do. To shed Butler's contract, why would they trade for a guy who makes more money with more guaranteed years? :lol

And on top of that, give up 33.

koopa

fab is not worth a big raise though, this dude better not think he's worth a 3 year deal, the most i'd give this old ass dude is a 2 year deal and about a million dollar raise.........

Beno Udrih
06-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Throw in Millsap and you got a deal.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:10 AM
i can the spurs trading butler for collins since collins actually makes 500,000 dollars less then butler over the next 2 years, but i can't see them giving up that 33rd pick for basicly nothing.

Butler's last year on his contract is a team option.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Shit, the team must be really sour on him then. While Jackie Butler most likely sucks, we already know 100% that Jarron Collins does.

Naw, it's just a made up rumor. And a bad one at that.

objective
06-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Um wasn't the Ely trade for cap reasons?

maybe so, but Ely still played more minutes in march (scant though they were) while Butler didn't play a game.

Maybe they were just giving Ely a little look, but it's one Butler didn't get.

and don't forget the story Ludden put out there of Butler having to be chastised into helping carry a Spur off the court. The signals have been there and fairly clear about the Spurs not being happy with him.

But trading him and 33 for Collins of all people clearly isn't the best solution.

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 01:13 AM
What trade of Butler + 33 to Utah even makes any sense?

spursparker9
06-24-2007, 01:13 AM
we still need elson to (try) guard dirk

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 01:14 AM
maybe so, but Ely still played more minutes in march (scant though they were) while Butler didn't play a game.

But Butler played five games in April and averaged 6.6 and 3.8 in 13 mpg.

T Park
06-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Doubtfull.

I think the Spurs are higher on Butler than the media thinks.

Johnny Ludden needs to shut his trap.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
we still need elson to (try) guard dirk

:lol

Elson can't defend much of anyone. He's definitely not on the Dirk stopping crew.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:15 AM

Butler got the garbage time at the end of the year. And suited up ahead of Ely a couple times while the Spurs were still trying to win.

and don't forget the story Ludden put out there of Butler having to be chastised into helping carry a Spur off the court. The signals have been there and fairly clear about the Spurs not being happy with him.

Ludden's Butler bashing became less and less as the season went on. Butler by the end of the year was one of Duncan's best friend on the team.

Horry For 3!
06-24-2007, 01:16 AM
This makes no sense for the Spurs. Which is why it is only a rumor. Plus Jarron Collins fuckin sucks.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:17 AM
A better made up rumor would be Butler and 33 to the Cavs for a future second round pick. The Cavs have a trade exception and don't have a pick in the draft.

If the Spurs are desperate to dump Butler's salary, that is a trade that makes way more sense than trading him to Utah for a guy with less potential and a worse contract :lol

objective
But Butler played five games in April and averaged 6.6 and 3.8 in 13 mpg.

Butler played big minutes like Ely in the dead games of the last week when the other guys were resting.

the games before that were minor minutes, and iirc was at a time when Ely was hurt, though I could be wrong.

Beno Udrih
This makes no sense for the Spurs. Which is why it is only a rumor. Plus Jarron Collins fuckin sucks.
Gives us something to talk about though.

koopa
06-24-2007, 01:18 AM

But trading him and 33 for Collins of all people clearly isn't the best solution.

butler actually started the last 2 games of the season, and played 11 games overall....... the 2 games he started he avg. 11 points, and 9.5 rebounds

ely didn't get the benefit of starting....... it was probably because butler is better then ely...........

and where do you read your shit??? i never read any of that stuff about butler being a problem..........

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 01:18 AM
A better made up rumor would be Butler and 33 to the Cavs for a future second round pick. The Cavs have a trade exception and don't have a pick in the draft.

If the Spurs are desperate to dump Butler's salary, that is a trade that makes way more sense than trading him to Utah for a guy with less potential and a worse contract :lol

Why dump both Butler and the 33 for a future pick that won't be nearly this good?

objective
06-24-2007, 01:19 AM
:lol

Elson can't defend much of anyone. He's definitely not on the Dirk stopping crew.

agreed on Elson.

I'd rather have Mahinmi play and Elson be gone. Not that Mahinmi would be any good, but he too can run, dunk, miss rotations, block a shot once in a blue moon, and lose minutes to Oberto just as well, and for cheaper.

T Park
06-24-2007, 01:19 AM
I think Butler is higher regarded by the team than the media and others think......

Beno Udrih
06-24-2007, 01:20 AM
and where do you read your shit??? i never read any of that stuff about butler being a problem..........
Before the trade deadline, Ludden wrote in a spurs notebook about the spurs not being so high on butler and shopping him around.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Why dump both Butler and the 33 for a future pick that won't be nearly this good?

That's the cost of dumping a contract.

But the Spurs would be dumb to trade Butler now. He doesn't much that much and at worst, you can just let him go after this season. It's not like he has a multi-year contract that will eat into the Spurs longterm plans.

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 01:21 AM
An intriguing trade might involve:

Ronnie Brewer = Jackie Butler + 33

Russ

He sucks.
I said it.

Much of the reason that Elson is a "steal and a keeper" is his salary (and his ability to run the floor). Unlike Butler, who can barely move, whose salary qualifies as a tax write off and whose personality makes Big Dog Robinson look bubbly.

Kori Ellis
Anyway, I don't know if this is just a rumor or some kind of wishful thinking on someone's part.

But anyway, the only rumors I've heard so far considering Butler (or any Spur) are about trading UP in the draft, not trading away a pick.

T Park
Beno, hit the road already.

For the person typing as Beno, Ludden is an idiot on some things, and hes way off base on how the Spurs feel about Butler.

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 01:22 AM
That's the cost of dumping a contract.

But the Spurs would be dumb to trade Butler now. He doesn't much that much and at worst, you can just let him go after this season. It's not like he has a multi-year contract that will eat into the Spurs longterm plans.

It's not even a contract you need to dump. I didn't even realize his third year is a team option.

koopa
06-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Before the trade deadline, Ludden wrote in a spurs notebook about the spurs not being so high on butler and shopping him around.

ludden is a tool, just trying to sale a paper with some bs

T Park
06-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Unlike Butler, who can barely move, whose salary qualifies as a tax write off and whose personality makes Big Dog Robinson look bubbly.

Yeah cause personality makes the player!!! LOOK AT DUNCAN!!

barely move?

You obviously didn't watch the games vs Memphis and Denver very well.

he moved quite well, and looked quite good.

I like Elson, but even Im ready to get rid of him if it means more minutes for Butler.

Kori Ellis
I said it.

Much of the reason that Elson is a "steal and a keeper" is his salary (and his ability to run the floor). Unlike Butler, who can barely move, whose salary qualifies as a tax write off and whose personality makes Big Dog Robinson look bubbly.

Just my opinion but, any steal or keeper value gets thrown out the window when 90% of the time when he's on the floor he's out of place defensively, missing rotations or getting yelled at by his teammates.

But hey, he runs fast and is awesome at rebounding when absolutely no one is near him.

objective
FWIW

a possible destination would be Philly.

They have 3 first rounders: 12, 21, and 30 as well as pick number 38 in the second.

And since Larry Brown is still there . . . maybe there's a chance for a move up. Spurs would have to take back salary I suppose. Kevin Ollie only has one year left on his deal at 3.4, so maybe something could happen.

koopa
06-24-2007, 01:24 AM
I said it.

ummm..... butler lost a shitload of weight, and even then, before he came here, i always heard he ran the floor pretty good for his size....... so just because a dude is fat doesn't mean he's a rasho type player that can't move for shit

T Park
06-24-2007, 01:24 AM
But hey, he runs fast and is awesome at rebounding when absolutely no one is near him.

dear god, you also described Samaki Walker....

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2007, 01:25 AM
I like Elson, but even Im ready to get rid of him if it means more minutes for Butler.
:tu

Beno Udrih
06-24-2007, 01:25 AM
ludden is a tool, just trying to sale a paper with some bs
:lol WTF? You asked where he was getting his shit from, and I replied. Where in my post was I praising ludden?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2007, 01:26 AM
dear god, you also described Samaki Walker....
:lmao

koopa
06-24-2007, 01:28 AM
:lol WTF? You asked where he was getting his shit from, and I replied. Where in my post was I praising ludden?

oh, my response about how much i dislike ludden wasn't directed at you lol sorry about that......... but yeah, i can't stand ludden for some reason lol

phyzik
06-24-2007, 01:30 AM
without reading the thread, this shit doesnt make sense, the money just doesnt add up and it doesnt help the Spurs any... they would just be taking a step to the left/right rather thatn back/forward.

T Park
06-24-2007, 01:30 AM
I like Ludden, but hes got some stupid hate for Jackie Butler. He has all year.

IMO, Butler has worked too hard, and shown too much for the Spurs to think hes a headcase.

IMO hes the perfect compliment to Duncan, or perfect big to come off the bench for Duncan.

Good low post scorer, good rebounder.

God im jacked to see him get serious minutes next year.

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Philadelphia could use both Butler and Udrih. Depending on how much say Larry Brown has (as consultant), he's liked Butler in the past. They have a lot of roster spots opening up this summer and, as stated above, four draft picks. They don't need four rookies.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:34 AM
After all the bad press Butler got last year, he probably has negative value. For example, 33 and Butler probably gets you a pick in the 40's.

That said, he makes so little and his contract expires after this season, so there's no reason to get rid of him. I'd rather the Spurs buy him out (which they could probably do for close to $1.2-1.5M) than waste a second round pick in some form of salary dumping.

Besides, that Cavs trade exception has Beno's name all over it. If the Spurs get a point guard in the draft, Beno to the Cavs for a future second round pick makes too much sense not to happen.

objective
06-24-2007, 01:37 AM
apparently, Philly already offered mid-season something for Butler, only the Spurs didn't like it. Had the Spurs giving up a pick of all things.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022207.05D.BKNspurs.udrih.1817803.html

2-22-07 . . .

The Spurs also continue to explore trade opportunities for Jackie Butler.

Philadelphia executive Larry Brown, who coached Butler in New York last season and recommended him to the Spurs, has again shown interest in the young center. The 76ers seemed willing to do a trade if they also could get a draft pick, but the Spurs didn't like the contract Philadelphia was offering (possibly Kevin Ollie's) in return.

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 01:39 AM
I don't know why teams keep wanting to get Butler + a pick for junk.

Then they were trying to get Scola for a second round pick.

Why are teams trying to fuck the Spurs like a bitch?

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 01:39 AM
I think the Spurs would consider moving Butler (and Beno and Elson and Barry and ...) but I just don't think that this particular trade makes any sense unless they love Collins for some reason.

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 01:41 AM
I think the Spurs would consider moving Butler (and Beno and Elson and Barry and ...) but I just don't think that this particular trade makes any sense unless they love Collins for some reason.

Jarron Collins is about a third as good as Francisco Elson.

timvp
06-24-2007, 01:45 AM
With Oberto cementing his spot in the starting lineup and options like Mahinmi and Scola out there, I can see some scenarios where it'd make sense to trade Butler. However, a trade should result in an extra roster spot for the Spurs or at least bring back a contract as small or smaller than Butler's.

Russ
06-24-2007, 01:47 AM
I agree. Butler is overpaid for an IR guy but he doesn't make enough to give up value to trade him. They can cut him next year if need be.

Bruno
06-24-2007, 04:02 AM
It makes no sense at all for Spurs.
My guess : it's a rumor created by a Jazz fan after hearing the jazz owner interview on the radio.
On some website like hoopshype, Butler third year isn't a team option. I guess that he has imagined this fantasy trade without knowing that Butler third year was a team option.

spurscenter
06-24-2007, 05:16 AM

He sucks.

damn kori!

hes all right, but we need MARCUS CAMBY, i would trade for him or sign him and trade what we need to to get camby.

spurscenter
06-24-2007, 05:17 AM
collins sucks

picnroll
06-24-2007, 06:54 AM
So the Spurs are going to trade a guy for someone that the Jazz would love to get off their payroll, that totally sucks and was geeting no burn in the playoffs, that is more expensive than the Spurs traded player plus the Spurs have to throw in a high second round pick to accomplish all this? Either Jerry Sloan wrote this piece or the Spurs needed Presti a lot more than we think?

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2007, 07:22 AM
butler> collins

yeh thats right butler > the collins brothers together

this trade is a fuckn joke.

A.H 21-50
06-24-2007, 08:08 AM
collins sucks i really don't like the way he plays

to give butler and our second round pick ??? that make me laugh

IMO Butler is better than collins.......without any doubt

ploto
06-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Butler was signed by the Spurs last off-season but he never made the rotation. Butler is seen as somewhat of a head case by the Spurs brass and they are looking to move his contract.
Told you so...

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Horrid suggestion.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2007, 09:39 AM
The Spurs would be foolish to give up on Butler now. There's nothing terrible about his contract. He's a young raw talent who essentially joined the league out of high school. He's equivalent to a mid-1st round draft pick.

naico
06-24-2007, 10:05 AM
For what it's worth, "Daily Hoops" has a rumor that the Spurs are trying to move Jackie "Papers" Butler. Utah looks like a possibilty according to this source.

that would be the worst move ever!! collins?Are u fuckin kiddin' me?

wildbill2u
06-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Philadelphia could use both Butler and Udrih. Depending on how much say Larry Brown has (as consultant), he's liked Butler in the past. They have a lot of roster spots opening up this summer and, as stated above, four draft picks. They don't need four rookies.
Larry Brown supposedly sold Pop on the Butler deal. He should take him back if we want to get rid of him.

Isn't there some kind of warranty on players being as advertised? Sheesh, who can Pop trust if he can't trust his friend Brown (who he helped to strip the Knicks of millions of dollars.)

AFBlue
06-24-2007, 11:27 AM
For all the hate on Collins in this thread, he does one thing really well...plays hardnose defense. And that's an endearing quality to this Spurs coaching staff and FO...so any suggestion that the Spurs are interested in him doesn't seem to farfetched to me.

Having said that...this would be one of the worst trades for fringe players in history. Butler is clearly just starting out in his career, has so much more offensive game and still has defensive potential. Spurs should keep him through the Summer League and see if he's got what it takes to pass Elson on the depth chart.

If he plays great in the Summer League and the Spurs still want to trade him, his value will have increased exponentially to that point. As of now, he's got no trade value and this would be rediculous...

bigdog
06-24-2007, 11:28 AM
i think that quote is total bullshit. i dont believe it. and if it is true, then its still total bullshit. i've seen Collins the past few years, and he seriously sucks, as does his brother. I hate the fact that the Spurs would even consider this.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2007, 12:10 PM
dailywho.net?

Bruno
06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Butler is a very young player : if he had decided to go to college, he would just have finished his junior year.
He has too shown some nice thing at the end of the season. It's too soon to give up on him.

picnroll
06-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Told you so...
Could be a worse deal. It could be getting Rasho back.

T Park
06-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Told you so...

You told us jack shit.

Your going off of a goddamn false bullshit article.

STFU.

Russ
06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Young big guys with upside are so scarce that they tend to get overvalued. The Lakers think Andrew Bynum is a budding Shaq Oneal and untradeable. To me he just looks like another Kevin Duckworth -- solid not great.

Mayber Butler will be good, but I'm skeptical. I think everyone here expected him to get playing time this year. Instead, he got the Menk Bateer treatment.

Slinkyman
06-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Told you so...

# of spurs championships with Rasho starting = 0
# of spurs championships with Oberto starting =1
Oberto>Rasho

YODA
06-24-2007, 04:31 PM
I dont have any insider word, but isnt obvious with the change in centers throughout the year(oberto starting to elson, then back to Oberto) Even during these changes, the Spurs never even gave Butler a chance. We were having problems at Center and Butler was never even condidered. Obviously the Spurs had little faith in him.
For the arguement of that Butler had great games at end of season, must I remind that the other teams were playing their 3rd stings too, not to mention he played as the only big when he did play. He looked slow and a little uneasy. I heard when we first got him how he had all this potential, but havent seen anything to make me believe it. Heck, I feel better about White next year.
Maybe if he plays in the summer league he will show something we have not seen yet. I just dont see him making the team at this point or if he does, having any PT. I like to know why he never played in the D league. At least there we could get a feel for the guy.
As far as trades are concern, the ones for Collins is jsut horrible. I would like the salary dump myself. I have no suggestions on how to trade him, but know Collins is just plain bad.

Spaces on next years team wil be hard to come by. I had hoped Horry would retire, but looks like one more year or Horry, Finley, and Barry. This will make it that much harder for him to get in PT. Not even gonna bring uop about Bonner and Ely, way to much to go over.

Yoda
Do or DO NOT, there is no Try.

texasqb2
06-24-2007, 04:45 PM

He sucks.

I can't believe you bashed me a while back when I said Butler was overweight and a bust.....Elson is ten times the player Butler is or ever will be and that's not saying much

timvp
06-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I can't believe people are taking the rumor seriously. Go to their website and email the 15 year old who runs it and ask them where the rumor came from.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I can't believe you bashed me a while back when I said Butler was overweight and a bust.....Elson is ten times the player Butler is or ever will be and that's not saying much

Butler is 21 and Elson is 31. I'm still waiting to make that assessment.
10 times better is an extreme exaggeration even at this point though. Elson is a 5/5 player in 20 mpg. If Butler was 10 times worse, he'd average .5 and .5 in 20 mpg. :lol

Budkin
06-24-2007, 05:18 PM
We're not getting rid of Butler. No way.

Darkwaters
06-24-2007, 05:19 PM
For the arguement of that Butler had great games at end of season, must I remind that the other teams were playing their 3rd stings too

I seem to remember that during the Memphis game when Butler got the start he was logging serious minutes against Pau Gasol. Hes not exactly a 3rd stringer. In fact, Memphis was playing their starting lineup against the likes of Matt Bonner, James White and Heavy Paper Butler.

I like to know why he never played in the D league.
Because he wasn't elligible. You can only go down to the D-League in your first two years in the league. As far as I know that was technically Butler's 3rd year.

lotr1trekkie
06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
[ :donkey FONT=Arial]undefined[/FONT] :donkey First and formost the Spurs are not going to help the Jazz and Collins doesn't help us. The Oberto/Elson combo is solid for next year. Butler will go to an East team if at all. Isaiah Thomas can always be had[see Marbury & Francis].

coopdogg3
06-24-2007, 06:05 PM
[ :donkey FONT=Arial]undefined[/FONT] :donkey First and formost the Spurs are not going to help the Jazz and Collins doesn't help us. The Oberto/Elson combo is solid for next year. Butler will go to an East team if at all. Isaiah Thomas can always be had[see Marbury & Francis].

It would be like Isaiah to let Butler go, and then bring him back. Losing picks in the process.

spurtime
06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Is it possible that Pop and RC are engaged in a double reverse smokescreen where they float the rumor that we're unhappy with Butler and he's a head case so that other teams will be less willing to accept him as filler in a larger deal that we may be working? I've always felt like our management was playing chess against a league full of front offices playing checkers.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2007, 06:30 PM
It's entirely possible if not likely that this "reporter" just kept the EN story about shopping Butler in the back of his head these past few months and then saw a story about Utah's trying to move up in the Tribune or on a realgm forum and decided to Sam Smith them together.

exstatic
06-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Over/under on ploto emailing the tool that runs that site with the rumor....

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Why the fuck are people still posting like this is a legitimate idea?

It's pretty obvious the reporter just went and looked at salaries to find one to match Butler.

It's even worse that he speculated that we would somehow hand away a pick like that to the Jazz because their owner was trying to trade up.

Fucking let it die already.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Is it possible that Pop and RC are engaged in a double reverse smokescreen where they float the rumor that we're unhappy with Butler and he's a head case so that other teams will be less willing to accept him as filler in a larger deal that we may be working? I've always felt like our management was playing chess against a league full of front offices playing checkers.

Uh, why would they make it harder for themselves to work a trade? That makes no sense.

spurtime
06-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Uh, why would they make it harder for themselves to work a trade? That makes no sense.

If we would rather include a guy like James White than Jackie Butler as salary matching filler in a larger deal than it isn't outside of reason that we would float a "Jackie's a head case" rumor so that our trading partner would be more willing to take the guy that we want to get rid of more...in this hypo, James White.

Steve-O-Matic
06-24-2007, 09:28 PM
If we would rather include a guy like James White than Jackie Butler as salary matching filler in a larger deal than it isn't outside of reason that we would float a "Jackie's a head case" rumor so that our trading partner would be more willing to take the guy that we want to get rid of more...in this hypo, James White.

That's an absurd theory that would be a lose-lose for the Spurs either way. By painting Butler as a head-case, they either...A) significantly diminish their ability to trade him (or at last get anything of value in return) if they DO want to trade him.....or B) paint a false impression in Butler's mind that the organization considers him a headcase if they actually DON'T want to trade him, thereby creating a malcontented player who would rightfully feel back-stabbed.

spurtime
06-24-2007, 09:35 PM
That's an absurd theory that would be a lose-lose for the Spurs either way. By painting Butler as a head-case, they either...A) significantly diminish their ability to trade him (or at last get anything of value in return) if they DO want to trade him.....or B) paint a false impression in Butler's mind that the organization considers him a headcase if they actually DON'T want to trade him, thereby creating a malcontented player who would rightfully feel back-stabbed.

2 good points...My theory was absurd. I blame the day long hangover.