duncan228
06-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Short, sweet.
If high school students watch will the ratings go up? :lol

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/News/FlipSide/2007062231

San Antonio Spurs change my opinion of NBA

By Katlin Stinespring
Hurricane High School

Recently, the San Antonio Spurs swept the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2007 NBA Finals, winning their fourth championship in a decade.

I’m still pondering what spurred me to watch this particular game rather than my typical sport of choice, Major League Baseball, because throughout my 17 years I’ve developed a strong abomination for anything NBA-related. I think it’s a collection of overpaid men attempting to out-dunk each other in a game that lacks any real play calling or effort.
However, the San Antonio Spurs are beginning to change my opinion — or attempting to anyway.

What I saw in them was a prolific combination of teamwork and legitimate talent. Rather than a team idolizing one individual (as is the case with Cleveland and LeBron James), the Spurs are loaded with capable contributors who can make key plays.

This was exemplified in the final by Manu Ginobili hitting a three-pointer to put the Spurs ahead, Tim Duncan laying in a teammate’s missed free throw and the team maintaining substantial possession throughout the end of the fourth quarter. An ABC analyst even made the comment, “Think of how many weapons the Spurs have” during the last 60 seconds of the game.

The Cavaliers should take a page out of the Spurs’ book. Instead of putting all the emphasis on superstar James, they should focus on getting the ball to the open players. This is especially necessary in tight situations when James is double and triple teamed. The Cavs have never won an NBA championship and will most likely struggle to make the playoffs next year without valuable draftees and trades.

There is much debate as to whether this Spurs team has earned the ranking of dynasty. I think it has.

No other professional sports team has won more than three championships in a decade. The Spurs won the NBA championship in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007. While there were no consecutive wins, this team has been a contender in every championship in the last five years.

Led by MVPs Tim Duncan (the first three titles) and Tony Parker (this year’s championship), the San Antonio Spurs have given me a new perspective on the NBA. They have pushed aside the drama more common to A-list Hollywood celebrities and become true athletes and champions.

Nathan Explosion
06-24-2007, 08:23 AM
No other professional sports team has won more than three championships in a decade. The Spurs won the NBA championship in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007. While there were no consecutive wins, this team has been a contender in every championship in the last five years.

To be fair, he got this part wrong, or said it wrong at the very least. I think what he meant is that in this past decade, no professional sports team has won more than 3 titles (Lakers, Pats).

There have certainly been teams that have won more than 3 titles in a decade (Celtics, Lakers, Bulls).

AnotherArgie
06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I wanted to stop reading after "a game that lacks any real play calling or effort". But nice article for a 17 year older.

CubanMustGo
06-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Always good to get validation from a 17-yo girl in West Virginia. Up next: a 72-yo widow from Podunk, ND.

koopa
06-24-2007, 02:21 PM
To be fair, he got this part wrong, or said it wrong at the very least. I think what he meant is that in this past decade, no professional sports team has won more than 3 titles (Lakers, Pats).

There have certainly been teams that have won more than 3 titles in a decade (Celtics, Lakers, Bulls).

he didn't have to add in this past decade because if you use a little common sense it should tell you what he means

CubanMustGo
06-24-2007, 02:23 PM
SHE, people:

San Antonio Spurs change my opinion of NBA

By Katlin Stinespring
Hurricane High School

smeagol
06-24-2007, 03:33 PM
His favorite sport is baseball? :vomit:

J.T.
06-24-2007, 03:39 PM
She loses serious points for not having a Facebook account.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
She's developed a stong abomination alright.

Extra Stout
06-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Whew. I feel validated now that a high school student in West Virginia approves of the Spurs.

resistanze
06-24-2007, 09:05 PM
I prefer the superior play-calling and effort of the Texas Rangers as opposed to the disorderly dunkfest that is provided by Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.

E20
06-24-2007, 09:47 PM
This bitch is a moron. MLB over NBA is an abomination.

The Cavs have never won an NBA championship and will most likely struggle to make the playoffs next year without valuable draftees and trades.

This is a horrid take, it's abominable. Cavs will be the favorites coming out of the East until the Lebron era is over. What a moron. Please dont' write articles on subjects which you don't know jack shit about.

Signed,
Every person on the planet.

Struggle to make the playoffs? In the West maybe, but not the East, holy shit. Know something.