PDA

View Full Version : The "Derrick McKey" Player

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Last off-season, Gregg Popovich was well known for his desire to acquire a 'Derrick McKey' type of player. Famously, we wound up beginning the season without that player. But who did Pop mean? Were we on the trail of somebody? Did the Spurs' front office even think there was a chance to get this guy?

So... who was Derrick McKey?

Derrick McKey was a quintessential jack-of-all-trades player who spent most of his career at Indiana after some years in Seattle, before retiring with Philadelphia in '02. He was a good defender and decent rebounder, tall at 6'9", and at his peak was the kind of player who shot a good percentage and could average a steal and a block per game, although he didn't hit threes at a great percentage.

So... who were the Spurs marking last year?

Coupled with the Spurs' insistence on a long three, McKey's height must play a major role in expectations. With the defense, the lack of range, the steal/block per game, the current player that comes to mind is Portland's Travis Outlaw. The other semi-available SFs are generally too short or have other character mismatches, such as Pietrus and Josh Childress. One wonders, too, if Andres Nocioni was on the menu. The question overall is... who the heck was available last year?

In this year's draft, it seems Jeff Green and Julian Wright match up, with Green having the size. But is there anybody available where the Spurs are actually drafting? Will we go yet another summer without a Bowen replacement and/or long three in sight?

ChumpDumper
06-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Will we go yet another summer without a Bowen replacementJames White!
or long three in sight?We've only been trying to pick up cheap ones in training camp. Given the logjam at the swing spots, that wasn't the worst idea but we never kept anyone. Here's hoping we get someone that fits the bill, I don't really care how.

AFBlue
06-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Last off-season, Gregg Popovich was well known for his desire to acquire a 'Derrick McKey' type of player. Famously, we wound up beginning the season without that player. But who did Pop mean? Were we on the trail of somebody? Did the Spurs' front office even think there was a chance to get this guy?

So... who was Derrick McKey?

Derrick McKey was a quintessential jack-of-all-trades player who spent most of his career at Indiana after some years in Seattle, before retiring with Philadelphia in '02. He was a good defender and decent rebounder, tall at 6'9", and at his peak was the kind of player who shot a good percentage and could average a steal and a block per game, although he didn't hit threes at a great percentage.

So... who were the Spurs marking last year?

Coupled with the Spurs' insistence on a long three, McKey's height must play a major role in expectations. With the defense, the lack of range, the steal/block per game, the current player that comes to mind is Portland's Travis Outlaw. The other semi-available SFs are generally too short or have other character mismatches, such as Pietrus and Josh Childress. One wonders, too, if Andres Nocioni was on the menu. The question overall is... who the heck was available last year?

In this year's draft, it seems Jeff Green and Julian Wright match up, with Green having the size. But is there anybody available where the Spurs are actually drafting? Will we go yet another summer without a Bowen replacement and/or long three in sight?

The only draftee that fits that bill remotely is Dominic McGuire. I guess you could include Wilson Chandler, but questions about his lack of motivation seem to make him an unlikely candidate to join the Spurs.

I think you're right about Travis Outlaw, and he is technically available as he is a restricted free agent. Having said that, I think it would take the Blazers drafting Kevin Durant to make Outlaw remotely expendable. Let's assume it actually happens that way, though...

In that case, I think the Spurs could trade Jackie Butler for him straight up, or they could do a sign-and-trade with Scola for him if they would accept that as well. I think either would be considered good deals as all players involve have talent, but have yet to prove it on this stage....what do you think?

Mr. Body
06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
The weird thing is, there doesn't seem to have been ANYONE available last year that fits the bill. The only conclusion I can make is that Pop's talk was simply wishful thinking.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Jamar Smith was in camp, as was Rich Melzer. Now they aren't McKey level players, but they are McKey type players. There is always someone available. It just depends on whether you want a turnkey solution or a project.

AFBlue
06-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Let me qualify that last post by again saying that I think the Blazers will make Oden the choice...but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they choose Durant.

On the situation as a whole, the Spurs have three options:

1) Sign/Trade for a relevant combo forward option that would be inserted into the rotation. In a trade scenario, one of the other rotation regulars would likely have to be included in the deal or traded seperately to make room for the new acquisition in the rotation (Barry?).

2) Draft/Sign/Trade for an inexperienced combo forward that can play in the summer leagues with the Spurs, spend time at the NBDL, and hopefully be ready to assume a rotation spot in the 08-09 season.

3) Do nothing significant at the spot, let the Spurs go one more year with Finley as the PF in the small ball option, and look to address the situation in Summer 08 with immediate help via the draft (not likely) or with the FA money that will be added b/c of the mass exodus of current role players.

Which do you prefer?

Bruno
06-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Hasn't too Pop said this year that he wants a player able to defend both forward spots ?

Nocioni can be this player.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2007, 03:05 PM
1) Seems tough unless we break the logjam at the swing spots.

2) Those guys are out there.

3) arf.

AFBlue
06-24-2007, 03:08 PM
1) Seems tough unless we break the logjam at the swing spots.

2) Those guys are out there.

3) arf.

Agreed on option 1. It seems that it would take a Finley opt-out or Barry trade, whether in the deal to bring in that player or as a deal to make room for that player.

I hear the Barry + Scola rights for Nocioni alot, but I'd like to see something like that being explored by the Spurs FO or speculated about in the media before I buy into it. Noc does seem like one of the only legitimate options to be that relevant combo forward next year....can anyone think of any others?

AFBlue
06-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Here's what I got...

Shareef Abdur-Rahim, though he might be too slow nowadays...

Eduardo Najera, the poor-man's Andres Nocioni....

Not exactly awe-inspiring is it?

ChumpDumper
06-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Again -- arf.

I'd rather try to develop a project than try to rehabilitate SAR or Najera.

alamo50
06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I still just want the "Willis/Outlaw/Armstrong" here.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 05:05 PM
A proven player who fits Pop's description is making at least $8 mil per in today's NBA.