PDA

View Full Version : If I was taking a trip to Argentina...

spurschick
06-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Where should I go and what should I do? A friend and I are making plans to go next summer (July, August or September). I'm not all that interested in doing the touristy things. Suggestions?

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd imagine you're going to Buenos Aires?

johngateswhiteley
06-24-2007, 05:37 PM
mail me back Rocio Diaz.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Watch your purse and your posterior.

ZStomp
06-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Manu

Bigzax
06-24-2007, 05:55 PM
stone oak right? i'll house sit. no problem. anything for a friend. :tu

ZStomp
06-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Don't drink the water....or eat the food. :lol

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Watch your purse and your posterior.This is actually good information spurschick.

Are you going with another female friend? I'd consider inviting a fairly big guy with you, I'm not trying to scare you but you should watch your back, if it's just you two women, it's not even safe for you ladies to go out walking the streets at night.

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Don't drink the water....or eat the food. :lol?

The food's great.

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm also planning a trip for next summer with a friend, we're goin on a Eurotrip.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2007, 06:16 PM
:depressed

I'm going to Corpus on Tuesday for work.

:depressed

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm going to the outer banks on July 1st for a week

E20
06-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Go to Bahia Blanca.

spurschick
06-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes, it's another female friend who has actually been to BA a couple of times. I would imagine that BA is where we'll be spending most of our time. I have heard that La Boca is cool. I was just looking to really see some cool places that will give me the local flavor. I'm sure the Eva Peron balcony is cool and all, but it really doesn't interest me all that much. I did want to take a cemetary tour though.

06-24-2007, 08:14 PM
If you like to wing shoot I've been there a few times and can help with tips.

Extra Stout
06-24-2007, 08:56 PM
?

The food's great.
Many Americans assume all of Latin America is exactly like Mexico.

ALVAREZ6
06-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes, it's another female friend who has actually been to BA a couple of times. I would imagine that BA is where we'll be spending most of our time. I have heard that La Boca is cool. I was just looking to really see some cool places that will give me the local flavor. I'm sure the Eva Peron balcony is cool and all, but it really doesn't interest me all that much. I did want to take a cemetary tour though.The true way to tour a city is just walking it's streets, especially those famous places and then a little bit of each neighborhood. You should definitely walk around in the downtown area a bit to get to know it, walk around in Palermo and Belgrano which are both nice neighborhoods in the NW side. But even there....you have to be careful. Basically all of my family lives in Belgrano and 99% of them have been jumped before. Most of them a few times. And that's a calm area with many plazas/parks.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Where should I go and what should I do? A friend and I are making plans to go next summer (July, August or September). I'm not all that interested in doing the touristy things. Suggestions?

Try to learn as much Spanish as you can. And if possible with Argentinian accent/slang. There is a very good level of English in the tourist places, but outside that circuit you might find some people that don't speak it (maybe a taxi driver, or if you want to buy tickets for a show, etc).

There are some who might want to confuse you with the price (again, if you are moving outside the touristic circuit), but if you show them that you understand what they are saying, you'd probably won't get scammed. Watch for the Peso/Dollar currency and ask how much they will accept for your dollars (again, the touristic places have signs that show the currency change). Also, try to remember well the names of the places you are planning to visit, and where you are staying.

The key to be safe is try not to show off. I don't mean to dress a dirty t-shirt, but try not to look too rich :lol .

When walking, WATCH OUT, pedestrians are seen as dummies to test how endurable your car is. The traffic is quite chaotic, so if you handle Spanish well, the metro is a faster and cheaper choice to move in Buenos Aires. But my advise is don't take it during rush hour (7am-10am/4pm-6:30pm), unless you'd like to feel packt like sardines in a crushed tin box.

If you are coming to Buenos Aires, well there's a LOT you can do, depending what you like and how much you want to spend. Obviously, you are going to eat, so I recommend you to visit some Argentinian typical restaurants (parrilla), and eat some asado (the closest thing you guys have is a barbacue, but barbacues are to asados what Kenyon Martin is to Tim Duncan). The cattle calf meat is amazing, along Argentinian red wine is a nice choice. Also if you like beer there is the local brands (Quilmes is the best one) or some international ones (Stella Artois, Budweiser, Heineken, brazilian Brahma, Warsteiner), there are others, but in specialized bars. Oh, I must say, this is not the country to visit if you are vegetarian. From cow meat, going through pork, lamb, goat, chicken, fish...If it moves, breathes or moos, you can probably find it on the menu. The parilla grill, is the most popular form of restaurant, with the steaks usually coming well done.

There is also a heavy southern Italian influence, so you can find many variations of pizza and all kinds of pasta with different sauces. There are pleny of "ethnic" restaurants located in the Palermo neighbourhood, with Arab, Eastern European, Chinese, Japanse, Hindu, etc kinds of food.

There is more traditional Argentinian food, I'll post some later.

I got some suggestions to places you can go to eat, I'll post them later if you want.

Oh, something else. Eating times at night. Dinner or Supper is never before 8pm, and sometimes people eat as late as 12pm. Many restaurants stay open until 2pm or even later.

Well that for the eating part in Buenos Aires. If you plan to visit some place else, I have some suggestions. I'll post more tips later, but now I need to sleep :lol

jman3000
06-25-2007, 02:04 AM
This is actually good information spurschick.

Are you going with another female friend? I'd consider inviting a fairly big guy with you, I'm not trying to scare you but you should watch your back, if it's just you two women, it's not even safe for you ladies to go out walking the streets at night.

im a fairly big guy :elephant

KEDA
06-25-2007, 08:25 AM
bring me back a present!

angel_luv
06-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Sounds like an awesome trip, M. I'm excited for you. :)

zekes
06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
If it moves, breathes or moos, you can probably find it on the menu.

:lol

spurschick
06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Try to learn as much Spanish as you can. And if possible with Argentinian accent/slang.

My friend is fluent in Spanish, so I'm pretty confident that she won't let me get ripped off in terms of prices, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I'd love suggestions for places to eat.

As for Quilmes, that stuff is crap! :lol I bought a case of it during the 2005 finals and, while it kept the Manu mojo going, it was tough to drink. I still have a 6-pack at home just in case Manu needs some extra help.

I'd heard that people don't go out and eat til late, so I'm prepared. :spin

Extra Stout
06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Keep in mind that in Argentina, July-September is the dead of winter.

While your friend may be fluent in Spanish, the Argentine dialect is rather different from the Mexican/Caribbean ones and will take some getting used to.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Keep in mind that in Argentina, July-September is the dead of winter.

While your friend may be fluent in Spanish, the Argentine dialect is rather different from the Mexican/Caribbean ones and will take some getting used to.its not THAT different. Is she speak Mexican spanish, she'll do fine here.

With regards to safety, Alvarez over there LOVES to exagerate. I don't know who his family is, but if they ALL got mugged, they're doing something wrong. Like in every major city there are places where one shouldn't go. I have to go now, but I'll post some suggestions when I come back.

By the way, when you get here let me know, I would love to meet a fellow spurstalker and Manu fan from San Antonio

spurschick
06-25-2007, 03:40 PM
By the way, when you get here let me know, I would love to meet a fellow spurstalker and Manu fan from San Antonio

Will do - I look forward to meeting the Argie peeps. :spin

Extra Stout
06-25-2007, 03:45 PM
With regards to safety, Alvarez over there LOVES to exagerate. I don't know who his family is, but if they ALL got mugged, they're doing something wrong. Like in every major city there are places where one shouldn't go. I have to go now, but I'll post some suggestions when I come back.
Are Alvarez and his family hanging out in the villas or something? I find it hard to believe that Bs.As. is that much more dangerous than an American city of similar size.

And isn't Argentina seeing something like 9-10% economic growth per year as it bounces back from the depression of '01? I would think that would take a chunk out of street crime.

spurschick
06-25-2007, 04:04 PM
And isn't Argentina seeing something like 9-10% economic growth per year as it bounces back from the depression of '01?

All I know is, I'm taking an empty suitcase with me 'cause I'M GOING SHOPPING!!!!! :elephant

Extra Stout
06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
All I know is, I'm taking an empty suitcase with me 'cause I'M GOING SHOPPING!!!!! :elephant
They don't call it "Paris at half price" for nothing!!! :elephant

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-25-2007, 07:29 PM
I believe Alvarez is exaggerating, I mean, this isn't Switzerland, but it isn't Iraq either. Just some common sense will keep you safe, and if it doesn't, you can always hire Manumaniac and me as personal bodyguards :lol .

Like Stout said, remember the winter thing, right now is pretty cold here, 11ºC (51º Farenheit if my calculations are correct), and it gets colder in July and August (around 41º F).

The Argentinian variation of Spanish is different to the Mexican, in words and accent (Spanish friends of mine say that we sound like Italians speaking Spanish :lol ) but it depends who do you speak to. Someone with decent education would be able to understand it and talk back to you without using too much slang.

Indeed we could organize an Argie GTG, finally, I believe we haven't made one in 4 years, we lazy bastards. Yeah, I know we Argies found the Internets useful only to bitch about Manu's playing time and watch stupid videos on YouTube, but we could start to arrange it.

About shopping, there is plenty for you to do, specially women clothes and the change is very favourable. Also things like music CDs or DVDs are quite cheap too. However, things like mp3 players, DVD players are quite expensive.

Extra Stout
06-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Are there many American expats in Argentina?

spurschick
06-25-2007, 08:49 PM
About shopping, there is plenty for you to do, specially women clothes and the change is very favourable. Also things like music CDs or DVDs are quite cheap too. However, things like mp3 players, DVD players are quite expensive.

I'll more than likely be looking for clothes, especially a leather coat.
:spin

marini martini
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Extra Stout]Keep in mind that in Argentina, July-September is the dead of winter.

Hey, I'd be willing to change my summers with winter anytime wih anyone in Argentina :toast

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm just saying two women walking around at night isn't the best idea...that's all. My mom doesn't feel safe there anymore, I always tell her it's fine, but she disagrees. We get into arguments where she brings this stuff that this crap happens more, that it's getting worse. I actually take the stand that you guys are against me right now against my mom.

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2007, 03:12 AM
With regards to safety, Alvarez over there LOVES to exagerate. I don't know who his family is, but if they ALL got mugged, they're doing something wrong. Like in every major city there are places where one shouldn't go. Who knows if they're all doing something wrong....my cousin working in a clothes store had a guy walk in and hold a gun to her head asking for money and took a jacket too. She was just doing her job.

Another cousin was coming home in broad day light recently had a guy hold a knife to him and asked for money. He led him into a mini store and my cousin slightly distracted him and took off running.

I'm not sure what's wrong with working in a store, trying to make some money as a college student, or walking home in broad day light...they seem pretty logical. Of course, these are only stories told to me, I wasn't personally there to see it with my own eyes, so it could be a bunch of bullshit.

Marhq
06-26-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm not trying to scare you but you should watch your back, if it's just you two women, it's not even safe for you ladies to go out walking the streets at night.
Ok, now you're talking out of your ass. :dramaquee I'm sorry if one of your relatives got robbed, but you don't even live here so STFU. Hundreds of women visit the city without a macho bodyguard team and have no problems whatsoever.

Spurschick, I don't know what kind of traveling you like to do (nature, cities, culture, food), how long you'll be staying or what's your budget, but I can give a couple of ideas.

Unless you're coming here on a ski trip or something like that I suggest you to come in September, when the days start getting warmer. That's a great time to visit all the regions without having to deal with too much hot or cold weather.

There are plenty of places to go and things to do, but there are 3 things that you HAVE to see IMHO:
- Buenos Aires (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi61DAYGIkE)
- Iguazu falls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx-_NnwuC3c)
- Perito Moreno glacier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJYN8qnirE)

I think is a good idea to read what other people are saying about their trips to Argentina; go to websites like www.bootsnall.com or www.virtualtourist.com and you'll find plenty of traveling tips from actual tourists.

Saludos.

Extra Stout
06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Who knows if they're all doing something wrong....my cousin working in a clothes store had a guy walk in and hold a gun to her head asking for money and took a jacket too. She was just doing her job.

Another cousin was coming home in broad day light recently had a guy hold a knife to him and asked for money. He led him into a mini store and my cousin slightly distracted him and took off running.

I'm not sure what's wrong with working in a store, trying to make some money as a college student, or walking home in broad day light...they seem pretty logical. Of course, these are only stories told to me, I wasn't personally there to see it with my own eyes, so it could be a bunch of bullshit.
Those vignettes sound like the sort of thing that happens everyday in large cities in the United States of America. I guess we all should be running for our lives.

Extra Stout
06-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Marhq brings up a forgotten subject.

The area between Mendoza, Argentina and Santiago, Chile is full of ski resorts. It's probably the only place one could escape to go skiing during what in the USA are the hot summer months.

spurschick
06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Unless you're coming here on a ski trip or something like that I suggest you to come in September, when the days start getting warmer. That's a great time to visit all the regions without having to deal with too much hot or cold weather.

I think that September is probably when we'll plan the trip. I really don't want to go in the dead of winter and I don't want to be gone during the Olympics in August.

Great suggestions! I appreciate everyone's input. In terms of safety, I've heard the same advice when I go to New York. First time I went to New York, I was told not to wear anything that looked like expensive jewelry. Bottom line is that you never know when something is going to happen and it's good to be prepared.

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2007, 09:03 AM
I think that September is probably when we'll plan the trip. I really don't want to go in the dead of winter and I don't want to be gone during the Olympics in August.

Great suggestions! I appreciate everyone's input. In terms of safety, I've heard the same advice when I go to New York. First time I went to New York, I was told not to wear anything that looked like expensive jewelry. Bottom line is that you never know when something is going to happen and it's good to be prepared.New York is one of the cleanest cities we have. People don't realize that..everyone hears NYC and thinks of Brooklyn, Harlem, Queens, etc. I've been there a lot of times, and that place is on a different level than most other large US cities. NYC's crime is very low compared to the size of the city.

Extra Stout
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
New York is one of the cleanest cities we have. People don't realize that..everyone hears NYC and thinks of Brooklyn, Harlem, Queens, etc. I've been there a lot of times, and that place is on a different level than most other large US cities. NYC's crime is very low compared to the size of the city.
It was a filthy, crime-riddled disaster 15 years ago. Then this former federal prosecutor named Giuliani became mayor...

CosmicCowboy
06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
If you like to wing shoot I've been there a few times and can help with tips.

:lmao

I was thinking dove hunting too but didn't think this crowd would get it.

smeagol
06-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Do you gals have a place to say?

If the Boss agrees (a.k.a. my wife), we could lodge you and your friend at chez smeagol for a couple of days.

spurschick
06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Do you gals have a place to say?

If the Boss agrees (a.k.a. my wife), we could lodge you and your friend at chez smeagol for a couple of days.

This trip is planned for next summer/fall, so I'm sure we'll have it covered by then. But thank you very much for the offer. :spin

smeagol
06-27-2007, 08:11 AM
This trip is planned for next summer/fall, so I'm sure we'll have it covered by then. But thank you very much for the offer. :spin
You're welcome :toast

Extra Stout
06-29-2007, 11:55 AM
The prices down there are awesome. If Buenos Aires is "Paris at half price," then Bariloche is "Lake Tahoe at 90% off."

Scratch that. It's a cross between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite... at 90% off.

I was thinking the vaction deals were already pretty reasonable... until I realized the prices were in Argentine pesos, and I needed to divide by 3.

I may have to retire there.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-29-2007, 12:29 PM
The prices down there are awesome. If Buenos Aires is "Paris at half price," then Bariloche is "Lake Tahoe at 90% off."

Scratch that. It's a cross between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite... at 90% off.

I was thinking the vaction deals were already pretty reasonable... until I realized the prices were in Argentine pesos, and I needed to divide by 3.

I may have to retire there.

As a long term plan, don't count on that, in 5 years time you may need to divide by 6 or don't divide at all. Macroeconomics isn't science here, it's more like gambling.

Bariloche is a great place indeed, but not my favourite place in Patagonia. There are lot of relatively unknown (and cheaper) options like San Martin de Los Andes, Villa La Angostura, El Bolsón, Chapelco, Trevelín, Esquel, etc. I went there for holidays last (Southern Hemisphere) summer, spend 22 days travelling up and down the Patagonia and was really worth every dime. The only thing that makes that kind of trip expensive is that you need a 4WD vehicle, because many of the roads there are gravel/mud in summer, or ice/snow in winter.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2007, 12:41 PM
As a long term plan, don't count on that, in 5 years time you may need to divide by 6 or don't divide at all. Macroeconomics isn't science here, it's more like gambling.

Bariloche is a great place indeed, but not my favourite place in Patagonia. There are lot of relatively unknown (and cheaper) options like San Martin de Los Andes, Villa La Angostura, El Bolsón, Chapelco, Trevelín, Esquel, etc. I went there for holidays last (Southern Hemisphere) summer, spend 22 days travelling up and down the Patagonia and was really worth every dime. The only thing that makes that kind of trip expensive is that you need a 4WD vehicle, because many of the roads there are gravel/mud in summer, or ice/snow in winter.hey, I backpacked all that region last summer, we might have met and don't even know it :lol

Hey Extra, I have to agree with MMLH here. San Martin, La Angostura, Bolson are all better than Bariloche right now. I have an apartment in Bariloche and I go there almost every summer, but I use it as base of operations :lol I don't stay in Bariloche much. Still it is worth checking out, there is some beautifull scenery there.

As for skiing Chapelco, Esquel etc, I've never actually been. All I know is Bariloche's skiing center in Cerro Catedral has done a lot to improve its facilities. I went there last winter to snowboard and it was really well maintained. Still, it has suddenly become small for the amount of tourism its getting. Bariloche has quickly become the choice of destination for South America. You should see the mountain now, one can scarcely ski or snowboard in peace on high season.

kolko
06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Definitely you should go to Patagonia in the south and, if you want, the northern part of Argentina (Jujuy, Salta) is also beautiful.

Extra Stout
06-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Salta and the surrounding area is Argentina's version of Arizona, sans the whiny Suns fans.

smeagol
06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Salta and the surrounding area is Argentina's version of Arizona, sans the whiny Suns fans.
ES, next time you are around, give me a shout.

Manumania and MMLH, we should get together one of these days.

Extra Stout
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
ES, next time you are around, give me a shout.

Manumania and MMLH, we should get together one of these days.
I'll try in 2010 or 2011.

You would be the first ST poster ever to see me in real life.