View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Mahinmi injured/to miss summer league

TMTTRIO
06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Spurs Notebook: First-round draft pick to miss summer league
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...k.30eda8b.html
Web Posted: 06/24/2007 11:28 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' 2005 first-round draft pick, will not be able to play in summer league after tearing a muscle in his chest during the team's minicamp.
Mahinmi tore his right pectoralis minor, a muscle that helps stabilize the scapula, when he went up for a dunk. He also strained the latissimus dorsi muscle.

While Spurs officials said Mahinmi will be sidelined indefinitely, such injuries typically take six to eight weeks to heal. Mahinmi, a 20-year-old forward from France, is expected to remain in San Antonio during the rehabilitation process.

The Spurs had planned to assess Mahinmi during the NBA's upcoming summer leagues in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City to determine whether he warranted a place on the team's roster next season.

Asked whether the injury assures that Mahinmi will begin next season in Europe, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, "It's too early to make a decision."

While Mahinmi remains a raw prospect in many respects, the Spurs have been pleased with how his body has developed over the past year. Compared to a year ago, he was much more aggressive at taking the ball to the rim in two days of workouts during the minicamp.

Carlesimo waiting: The Spurs don't expect the Seattle SuperSonics to make a decision on whether to hire P.J. Carlesimo as their new coach until after Thursday's draft.

The Sonics aren't expected to bring in candidates to meet with owner Clay Bennett until this weekend at the earliest. Carlesimo interviewed with Seattle general manager Sam Presti — the Spurs' former assistant general manager — last week.

Former Minnesota head coach and Seattle assistant Dwane Casey and Sacramento Kings assistant Scott Brooks reportedly are among the other candidates the Sonics are considering.

Free-agent deadline: Michael Finley has yet to inform the Spurs whether he will opt out of his contract and become a free agent. He has until Saturday to decide.

Barring a last-minute change, the Spurs plan to fully guarantee next season's contracts for Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry. The players have to be waived by the end of this week to avoid the guarantee.

Spurs officials have said they want both to return next season.

timvp
06-25-2007, 12:33 AM
:madrun :pctoss :depressed

This was going to be an important summer league for Mahinmi. He was the player I most wanted to watch.

Kori Ellis
06-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Well that sucks.

whottt
06-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Barring a last-minute change, the Spurs plan to fully guarantee next season's contracts for Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry. The players have to be waived by the end of this week to avoid the guarantee.

And that doesn't suck.

Let's face it...Mahinimi wasn't likely to crack the rotation this season anyway...he was going to be on the Jack, Butler, White plan...and that probably hasn't changed.

timvp
06-25-2007, 12:39 AM
And that doesn't suck.
Guaranteeing Bowen and Horry was a no-brainer after the playoff run each of them had.

Let's face it...Mahinimi wasn't likely to crack the rotation this season anyway.. He was going to be on the Jack, Butler, White plan...and probably still will.

He could have gained some valuable experience and the Spurs could have gotten more of an idea of what they had. Plus timvp would have been able to watch him in Vegas.

whottt
06-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I chose personal comfort over a Spurs repeat

:tu

whottt
06-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Seriously though...it's not the end of the world. I think he's still going to make the roster. I don't think the Spurs are particularly happy with his development with Pau this season...I have a feeling they are going to take matters into their own hands in developing him. Put him on the roster, put him in the D-League. I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen.

SequSpur
06-25-2007, 12:52 AM
ian isn't that good... give me a break

whottt
06-25-2007, 12:55 AM
ian isn't that good... give me a break

Actually...he is pretty good in terms of NBA potential. He's got NBA athleticism, he hustles, he's got a good work ethic, and it appears he can do what the Spurs ask of him(in this case putting on some muscle). Now he just needs some polish....only time is going to produce that.

Admidave50
06-25-2007, 12:58 AM
it really sucks, it was an important summer for him and we would have the opportunity to see if he really improved or not!

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Actually...he is pretty good in terms of NBA potential. He's got NBA athleticism, he hustles, he's got a good work ethic, and it appears he can do what the Spurs ask of him(in this case putting on some muscle). Now he just needs some polish....only time is going to produce that.

boris diaw on a contract year....

whottt
06-25-2007, 01:05 AM
it really sucks, it was an important summer for him and we would have the opportunity to see if he really improved or not!

He hasn't. In fact he may have regressed in terms of polish and perhaps confidence. But he has gotten bigger, which was the main thing he needed to do last summer.

Tek_XX
06-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Dude sucks, forget about him it ain't gonna happen.

Steve-O-Matic
06-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Actually...he is pretty good in terms of NBA potential. He's got NBA athleticism, he hustles, he's got a good work ethic, and it appears he can do what the Spurs ask of him(in this case putting on some muscle).
Notice you didn't mention anything in the way of basketball skills there.

His day may eventually come, but its still a looong way off, never mind this season.

Bruno
06-25-2007, 01:48 AM
It sucks for Mahinmi. Missing summer leagues isn't a big deal but missing French NT should be a huge disapointment for him.
I don't think this injury will change something about Spurs decision to sing him or not. The main factor for Spurs choice is Spurs roster state.

Solid D
06-25-2007, 02:01 AM
That's a shame, although I'm not sure if he is ready for the NBA anyway. Would the Spurs be any better with the athletic, foul-prone Mahinmi over any of the current Spurs pivotmen? Better than Elson?

Another disappointment has got to be the showing that Victor Sanikidze had this year in the ACB playing in Madrid for Estudiantes. 2.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg in only 80 minutes of PT. Granted, he was weakened by surgery to remove his appendix in March, but Sanikidze still remains a young Spurs' prospect that will need much more seasoning before being ready for prime time.

whottt
06-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Notice you didn't mention anything in the way of basketball skills there.

Right, because he really doesn't have any beyond what his athleticism gives him, from what I have seen.

He does have NBA rebounding, shotblocking and agressiveness from what I have seen, but he's no Tim Duncan when it comes to scoring on the block. His biggest issues were being pushed around on D because he's so ligh...it sounds like he's taken steps to correct that.

His day may eventually come, but its still a looong way off, never mind this season.

I think he'll develop more skills playing against Duncan in practice and playing in the D-league than he will logging third string scrub minutes for Pau. If he' not playing for Pau(and he really isn't), then he might as well not play for the Spurs...at least he can work on picking up the D.

Kori Ellis
06-25-2007, 02:42 AM
I only said it sucks because we were contemplating going to summer league to watch him.

whottt
06-25-2007, 02:45 AM
I only said it sucks because we were contemplating going to summer league to watch him.

That does suck...

Since I never see Summer Ball...I am just thinking in terms of next season and whether or not he will be here.

Bruno
06-25-2007, 03:58 AM
BTW, I've just seen in a french forum that they have measured Mahinmi at Pau this year and he was 2m09 (6'10.3") high without shoes.

timvp
06-25-2007, 04:00 AM
BTW, I've just seen in a french forum that they have measured Mahinmi at Pau this year and he was 2m09 (6'10.3") high without shoes.

Damn, that's borderline a seven-footer now.

timvp
06-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Would the Spurs be any better with the athletic, foul-prone Mahinmi over any of the current Spurs pivotmen? Better than Elson?

Mahinmi can hopefully fill the Elson role once Elson's contract is over. From what I've seen, Mahinmi has the running and jumping part down ... and that's almost all of Elson's game.

mathbzh
06-25-2007, 04:23 AM

By the way, how many 20yo players are ready to crack the defending champ rotation? In those, how many are late first round pick? Ian didn't developed the way we hoped this season. But he has now an almost NBA ready body.
As you said he need more time, but I am still optimistic on his future.

yavozerb
06-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Spurs Notebook: First-round draft pick to miss summer league

Web Posted: 06/24/2007 11:28 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' 2005 first-round draft pick, will not be able to play in summer league after tearing a muscle in his chest during the team's minicamp.
Mahinmi tore his right pectoralis minor, a muscle that helps stabilize the scapula, when he went up for a dunk. He also strained the latissimus dorsi muscle.

advertisement

While Spurs officials said Mahinmi will be sidelined indefinitely, such injuries typically take six to eight weeks to heal. Mahinmi, a 20-year-old forward from France, is expected to remain in San Antonio during the rehabilitation process.

The Spurs had planned to assess Mahinmi during the NBA's upcoming summer leagues in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City to determine whether he warranted a place on the team's roster next season.

Asked whether the injury assures that Mahinmi will begin next season in Europe, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, "It's too early to make a decision."

While Mahinmi remains a raw prospect in many respects, the Spurs have been pleased with how his body has developed over the past year. Compared to a year ago, he was much more aggressive at taking the ball to the rim in two days of workouts during the minicamp.

Carlesimo waiting: The Spurs don't expect the Seattle SuperSonics to make a decision on whether to hire P.J. Carlesimo as their new coach until after Thursday's draft.

The Sonics aren't expected to bring in candidates to meet with owner Clay Bennett until this weekend at the earliest. Carlesimo interviewed with Seattle general manager Sam Presti — the Spurs' former assistant general manager — last week.

Former Minnesota head coach and Seattle assistant Dwane Casey and Sacramento Kings assistant Scott Brooks reportedly are among the other candidates the Sonics are considering.

Free-agent deadline: Michael Finley has yet to inform the Spurs whether he will opt out of his contract and become a free agent. He has until Saturday to decide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2007, 06:14 AM
No news on Oberto? Today is the deadline for him

drmvp
06-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Blessing in disguise?

I think most doubt that Ian would make any substantial impact for the Spurs next year. Yes, being on the Butler/Jackson/White plan this year might expedite his chances to break the rotation (in, i.e., 08'-09' as opposed to 09'-10').

However, Ian's presence this year would take up a roster spot. With his injury, do the Spurs now look at the draft differently? Is it more likely that they keep all of their picks and choose individuals who can compete now?

Does this change their potential draft-'n-stash strategy? Does this change their possible trade-your-picks-in-a-deep-draft-for-mysterious-reasons-and-spoil-the-fan's-excitement strategy?

I hope so. I'd love for the Spurs to at least try to pick up a Paul Milsap-type and/or a Micheal Redd-type (heck, even a Cuttino Mobely-type) later in the draft. We'll always have Ian for later, but I'm also desirous for the chance of adding other young, athletic and enthusiastic players who might contribute now.

One possible impact other than the draft: Does Ian's injury make the Spurs more aggressive in trying to sign Scola? :drunk

SpursWillOwn
06-25-2007, 08:38 AM
By the way, how many 20yo players are ready to crack the defending champ rotation? In those, how many are late first round pick? Ian didn't developed the way we hoped this season. But he has now an almost NBA ready body.
As you said he need more time, but I am still optimistic on his future.

Tony Parker

RC's Boss
06-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Tony Parker
No trying to get too technical, but SA were not champions when Tony was drafted.

picnroll
06-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Wonder what level team Mahinmi could hook up with for a year in Europe? Wonder if the Spurs want to take a chance he'd be sitting his butt on a bench like last year? I'm sure they weren't too thrilled with the Pau experience or lack thereof.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Euroleague was too high a level for him. The D-League should be pretty good for him regardless of the injury.

mathbzh
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Tony Parker

Actually I was thinking about PF/C but it also works for PG. Tony is the exception. It would have been a miracle to see Ian playing big minutes next season. Give the kid more time and see what happens.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 10:05 AM
If his recovery will take 6 to 8 weeks then he'll be back sometime in August. Relax you jumpy mofos.

Bruno
06-25-2007, 10:06 AM
However, Ian's presence this year would take up a roster spot. With his injury, do the Spurs now look at the draft differently? Is it more likely that they keep all of their picks and choose individuals who can compete now?

:wtf
I don't see how Mahinmi minor injury will change something about Spurs way to draft.
If they decide to draft more american players or more nba ready players, it won't be related with Mahinmi having a injury.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't see how Mahinmi minor injury will change something about Spurs way to draft.
If they decide to draft more american players or more nba ready players, it won't be related with Mahinmi having a injury.

Yeah, how exactly does this change anything? It's not like it's a career ending injury.

jag
06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NWyRr_fNJps

Not much of a highlight, but he's coming along

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-25-2007, 01:58 PM
He wasn't going to be ready this year anyway.

drmvp
06-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Simple. I realize Ian's injury isn't career threatening. However, he's such a borderline player at this point that the Spurs may feel any setback would jeopardize his suitability for a roster spot this year.

I've read some astute posters who've pointed out that the already fairly stacked Spurs' roster might be motivation for trading a pick or two. (The draft-'n-stash strategy might also be motivated by the desire to have maximal salary cap room for Summer '08.)

Hence, if the Spurs are jumpy about Ian's prospects this year, then that's one possible unaccounted roster spot that could be filled by a potential draftee.

Maybe I'm stretching, but, damn it, I'm trying to find a glimmer of hope that the Spurs will at least try using #28 and #33 this year and not pass up on another potential Josh Howard/Barbosa etc.

manufor3
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Man i wanted to see him play in the summer league

Bruno
06-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Maybe I'm stretching, but, damn it, I'm trying to find a glimmer of hope that the Spurs will at least try using #28 and #33 this year and not pass up on another potential Josh Howard/Barbosa etc.

You are stretching a lot.
It's possible and there is more than a glimmer of hope that Spurs use the 28th and/or 33rd pick on ready to contribute players but it will have nothing to do with Mahinmi injury.
It's almost like saying : the sky is blue today, great, I have now a glimmer of hope that Spurs will get a long SF.

BTW, welcome on the board.

coachmac87
06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
if the spurs get rid of butler...spurs might as well just bring ian on the roster. he may not be ready but he can only get better practicing with all his teammates and maybe get a few games in the regular season. he doesnt need to score so i dont care if he doesnt have any polished offensive skills. he just needs to bring energy and rebound..he wont get better if he doesnt go up against NBA talent everyday like he would if he was brought on the roster..so if the spurs get rid of jackie butler..why not bring him on????

MoSpur
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I was wanting to read and hear some updates on this guy during summer league. Maybe he will be a freak of nature and heal a lot sooner than projected. He is young.

Sam
06-25-2007, 05:20 PM
From what I'm hearing, they wanted to bring him over for summer league and depending on who they signed and who they traded then he MIGHT (notice a big might) have been on the team but would have been sent down to D League. However, now the Spurs are saying he will probably stay in Europe another season.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't know how this really changes the plan for Ian. France ProA/Euroleague is a little above his current level of development. D-League is below that, and is probably the best place for Ian to play next season if playing time is the most important factor.

If we don't sign him this summer, however, we need to get another shotblocker on the roster.