PDA

View Full Version : Billups opted out

bigdog
06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I just saw it on NBA TV. can't find an article on it, but it said he opted out of his contract. Also, for those of you who were saying that the 25th was the day players had to decide whether to pick up their options or not, there was an article yesterday in the express-news (or on the website) that says that players have until this Saturday to decide on their player options. They talked about it because of Mike Fin's option, and also it said that Barry and Horry's contracts are only partially guaranteed next season, and the Spurs have to decide by the end of this week to keep them or not.

duncan228
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2915747

Billups will become unrestricted free agent July 1
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Chauncey Billups officially opted out of his contract Monday, making him an unrestricted free agent as of July 1.

"Chauncey's first intention is to come back to Detroit, and we'll continute to explore that as an option, but if we're unable to make a deal with the Pistons my obligation is to look at other possibilities that will provide long-term security for Chauncey and his family," agent Andy Miller told ESPN.com.

Billups was due to make $6,819,000 next season in the final year of his contract, which had an early termination option.

Pistons president Joe Dumars has consistently said he is confident the Pistons will be able to re-sign Billups, whose negotiating leverage will be impacted by the small number of teams with significant salary cap space.

Milwaukee and Memphis are two teams with cap space and a need for a point guard, but neither team is expected to have enough space to make a better offer than the one Billups will get from Detroit.

bigdog
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
I know the Billups part has nothing to do with the Spurs, but I thought I would let you guys know anyways

bigdog
06-25-2007, 11:31 AM
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2915747

Billups will become unrestricted free agent July 1
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Chauncey Billups officially opted out of his contract Monday, making him an unrestricted free agent as of July 1.

"Chauncey's first intention is to come back to Detroit, and we'll continute to explore that as an option, but if we're unable to make a deal with the Pistons my obligation is to look at other possibilities that will provide long-term security for Chauncey and his family," agent Andy Miller told ESPN.com.

Billups was due to make $6,819,000 next season in the final year of his contract, which had an early termination option.

Pistons president Joe Dumars has consistently said he is confident the Pistons will be able to re-sign Billups, whose negotiating leverage will be impacted by the small number of teams with significant salary cap space.

Milwaukee and Memphis are two teams with cap space and a need for a point guard, but neither team is expected to have enough space to make a better offer than the one Billups will get from Detroit.

ah, thanks man

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
First stop: Milwaukee.