PDA

View Full Version : Bears release Tank Johnson

mardigan
06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Bears decide to move on, waive Tank Johnson
ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- The Bears waived troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson on Monday after he was pulled over for speeding in Arizona last Friday.

Johnson already is suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFl sason after violating probation on a gun violation.

"He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't and we have decided to move on," general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement.

Police in the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert said Johnson was stopped for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone at 3:30 a.m. Friday and the officer made observations that led him to believe Johnson was impaired.

Sgt. Andrew Duncan, a police spokesman, said Johnson was arrested for "DUI Impaired to the Slightest Degree" but was released without being booked or charged.

Duncan said Johnson was taken to the Gilbert police station, where officials drew blood for a blood-alcohol content test before his release. He described Johnson as "very cooperative."

The officer had probable cause to make an arrest, Duncan said. Test results aren't expected for up to two weeks, and they would be sent to Gilbert town prosecutors for consideration of any charges.

Earlier this month, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Johnson for half the regular season for violating the league's toughened personal conduct policy.

At the time Johnson, who recently spent two months in the Cook County jail for violating probation, called his suspension an "opportunity for me to move forward."

Goodell said the suspension could be reduced to six games if Johnson has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound defensive tackle's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

That charge stemmed from Johnson's 2005 arrest after a Chicago nightclub valet reported seeing Johnson with a handgun in his SUV. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

Two days after last December's raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. Last month, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge stemming from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail. He was ordered to serve 45 days, which he served concurrently with the sentence for violating his probation.

"A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank; players, coaches and our front office," coach Lovie Smith said. "We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal"

djohn14
06-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Yep, I was about to post this. I don't get why players like he and pacman have to be so stupid, and ruin there God-givin talent.

greenroom
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Yep, I was about to post this. I don't get why players like he and pacman have to be so stupid, and ruin there God-givin talent.

So he is stupid for getting a speeding ticket?? I hope the next time I get a speeding ticket that I am not fired?

mardigan
06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
So he is stupid for getting a speeding ticket?? I hope the next time I get a speeding ticket that I am not fired?
Suspision of d.u.i., pending blood test for charges

FromWayDowntown
06-25-2007, 05:17 PM

If your boss tells you that you have "no room for error" and then you screw up anyway, then I think you forfeit the benefit of the doubt.

I'm glad to see at least one NFL team have the courage to say enough is enough. These guys have to learn at some point that having great talent to play the game of football doesn't give a person license to violate societal rules without any accountability.

greenroom
06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Suspision of d.u.i., pending blood test for charges

Suspeision of DUI.. is a big difference than being charged with a DUI. IF he is busted for a DUI then yes I can agree, but if the blood comes clean which I have a feeling it will then this is a dumb move by the Bears. I would think that Tank would not have been so easy to give up his blood if he had been drinking..IMO

Stand by a guy when he is convited of gun charges but drop him for a speeding ticket?

greenroom
06-25-2007, 05:28 PM
If your boss tells you that you have "no room for error" and then you screw up anyway, then I think you forfeit the benefit of the doubt.

I'm glad to see at least one NFL team have the courage to say enough is enough. These guys have to learn at some point that having great talent to play the game of football doesn't give a person license to violate societal rules without any accountability.

Well I only hope that my Broncos will sign him. To get a guy with fresh legs after week 8 will be huge.

If he gets busted with a DUI then I would change my thoughts, but at this point every other team I am sure would welcome him.

FromWayDowntown
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Well I only hope that my Broncos will sign him. To get a guy with fresh legs after week 8 will be huge.

If he gets busted with a DUI then I would change my thoughts, but at this point every other team I am sure would welcome him.

They shouldn't. He's one strike away from getting Pac-Man'd I suspect. I wouldn't be willing to trust my team's future, in any amount, to a guy who is that close to being run out of the league. You can't convince me that Goodell is just going to look the other way on any future transgressions by Tank Johnson -- in fact, you can't convince me that the punishment for Tank won't be more severe than it would be for guys who don't have any disciplinary history.

I hope for Tank's sake, he's able to make things work out. But I'm not sure that NFL teams are going to be beating down the doors of guys who appear to have poor character and are on the commissioner's radar for past bad acts. This Commissioner has made clear that a finding of bad conduct no longer requires convictions.

BeerIsGood!
06-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Tank screwed himself over plenty of times prior to this. He's not going to get much consideration other than a rock bottom contract that a team can easily dump if need be without much cap hit.

greenroom
06-26-2007, 07:16 AM
They shouldn't. He's one strike away from getting Pac-Man'd I suspect. I wouldn't be willing to trust my team's future, in any amount, to a guy who is that close to being run out of the league. You can't convince me that Goodell is just going to look the other way on any future transgressions by Tank Johnson -- in fact, you can't convince me that the punishment for Tank won't be more severe than it would be for guys who don't have any disciplinary history.

I hope for Tank's sake, he's able to make things work out. But I'm not sure that NFL teams are going to be beating down the doors of guys who appear to have poor character and are on the commissioner's radar for past bad acts. This Commissioner has made clear that a finding of bad conduct no longer requires convictions.

But from everything I have read from what the commissioner is looking for. Traffic tickets is not what he is worried about.

And your crazy to think that NFL teams will not give this guy a shot this season. And the main reason is that they will get a decent/good player for at a discount.

samikeyp
06-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Doesn't he have to get signed by a team, then serve his suspension?

djohn14
06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
But from everything I have read from what the commissioner is looking for. Traffic tickets is not what he is worried about.

And your crazy to think that NFL teams will not give this guy a shot this season. And the main reason is that they will get a decent/good player for at a discount.

It's not just traffic tickets. That was just the final straw. They said "no more run ins with the law" then he gets a speeding ticket and might have been drunk. Teams will give him a look, just like if the Titans waived Pacman he would get a look because of talent.

MisterWhodat
06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Any contract he gets will have so many clauses in it, he will have to walk the straight and narrow.

mardigan
07-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Test results: Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072
ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 2, 2007, 6:52 PM ET

GILBERT, Ariz. -- Blood tests show former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson's blood alcohol level was below the legal limit when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving June 22, police said Monday.

Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072, under the presumptive limit in Arizona of .08 percent, Gilbert police Sgt. Andrew Duncan said. No charges have been filed pending results of a completed investigation, and Duncan declined further comment.

Under Arizona law, Johnson could still face a charge for "impairment to the slightest degree." The state has separate charges for blood alcohol levels of .08 or higher and .15 or higher. The "slightest degree" charge usually accompanies the other charges, but the state does not have to show any blood alcohol level to bring the minimum charge.

Were the Bears wrong to cut Tank Johnson?

Johnson, whose legal name is Terry Darnell Johnson, was arrested when officers pulled him over at 3:30 a.m. for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. Duncan said an officer placed him under arrest because he believed Johnson was under the influence of alcohol. He was released without being booked or charged after providing a blood sample, and police said he was very cooperative.

A message left with Johnson's agent, Bill Heck, was not immediately returned.

Johnson, 25, was released by the Chicago Bears three days after his arrest. The team said it was "upset and embarrassed" by the defensive tackle's legal troubles.

The Bears declined comment Monday.

Johnson had already had been suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFL season for violating probation on a gun charge. He spent two months in jail and was released in May.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound Johnson's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

Two days after the December raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. In May, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail.

Johnson was chosen by the Bears in the second round of the 2004 draft out of Washington. He played in 46 games, starting 15.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

L.I.T
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Despite this, I don't think the Bears are going to regret cutting him.

greenroom
07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Despite this, I don't think the Bears are going to regret cutting him.

I agree. As much as I am shocked a team would cut a player for a speeding ticket. The bears feel they have the depth to cover him being gone.

The only way they regret cutting him is if he goes to a NFC North team.