PDA

View Full Version : Lakers in trade talks to get Garnett

freedom&justice
06-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Lakers in trade talks to get Garnett
Trade discussions involve sending Odom and Bynum for the Timberwolves star in a possible four-team deal. Bryant is not part of the possible trade.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
12:00 PM PDT, June 25, 2007

The owners of the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves have begun talks for a trade that would involve sending Kevin Garnett to the Lakers, league sources said Monday.

A multi-team trade discussion is underway involving the Lakers, Indiana, Minnesota and possibly a fourth team, with the Lakers getting Garnett and the Pacers getting Lamar Odom and teenage center Andrew Bynum from the Lakers. Another minor player will likely be added to make the deal work financially.

Jerry Buss and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor spoke by phone for 20 minutes Friday. Buss reportedly ended the conversation by suggesting that Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale would continue the discussion Monday.

Such a move could address the concerns of Kobe Bryant, who has demanded to be traded for more than four weeks.

Bryant met with Kupchak for about an hour Friday, a day after Garnett rejected a trade that would have sent him to Boston.

Bryant did not step down from his desire to be traded. However, Kupchak, Buss and Lakers Coach Phil Jackson met later that day to discuss options based on the assumption they would still have Bryant, The Times has learned.

Garnett, 31, has never formally asked for a trade while signaling his distress in recent years as the Timberwolves fell from top-notch status. The No. 1-seeded team in the Western Conference in 2004, they lost to the Lakers in the West finals and haven't made the playoffs since then.

The Timberwolves finished 33-49 in 2005-06 and 32-50 last season, tied for 12th in the West with Portland.

Garnett can opt out of his contract after next season. He wants an extension, which Buss reportedly told Taylor he was willing to offer. Garnett is due to earn $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the last year of his contract.

Garnett, a 10-time All-Star, averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.7 blocked shots last season while showing few signs of slowing down, other than spending the last five games of the season in Los Angeles — he has a home in Malibu — to rest a sore right quadriceps.

Bynum, 19, started his second NBA season with a flurry, including a memorable game against Minnesota in which he had 20 points,14 rebounds and three blocked shots last November.

But Bynum struggled during the second half of the season and finished with averages of 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds a game. The Lakers have been criticized by Bryant for not trading Bynum at the February trade deadline in order to get Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Odom, 27, was acquired three years ago as part of the trade that sent Shaquille O'Neal to Miami.

Odom averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season and missed 26 games because of knee and shoulder injuries. He had a torn labrum in his left shoulder repaired last month and is expected to return in time for training camp in October.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers26jun26,1,6107504.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true

Spurminator
06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Good.

I kind of miss the Spurs/Lakers rivalry.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
What about Boozer?

SequSpur
06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
wtf does minny get

CubanMustGo
06-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Just what I was thinking - Indiana gets something, Lakers get a big something, and Minny gets screwed? I know they have the worst GM in the league but even McHale's not that stupid.

JamStone
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
it was all a matter of time. thought it was less likely since the kobe drama, but if kg goes to the Lakers, kobe will be more than likely sticking around.

Sec24Row7
06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
So they lose Odom... and get... SUPER ODOM...

Sue me if I'm still not scared...

samikeyp
06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
So they lose Odom... and get... SUPER ODOM...

http://www.f3design.com/images/black_superman.JPG

:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
:lmao

dbreiden83080
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
wtf does minny get

Seriously Odum and Bynum and maybe a pick would be a good deal for the Wolves to part ways with KG but why would the Pacers get that and what is left to satisfy the Wolves.

Johnny RIngo
06-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Seriously Odum and Bynum and maybe a pick would be a good deal for the Wolves to part ways with KG but why would the Pacers get that and what is left to satisfy the Wolves.

I guess Minny would get JO. Odom, Bynum, and a pick is a better deal though so this whole scenario doesn't make sense.

dbreiden83080
06-25-2007, 03:49 PM
I guess Minny would get JO. Odom, Bynum, and a pick is a better deal though so this whole scenario doesn't make sense.

I would not want O'neal he seems to be declining and is due a ton of money in the next few years. This feels like the Lakers last attempt to shut Kobe up and make him happy by getting KG. If they don't get KG then Kobe is probably going to be traded.

joeyjfive
06-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah I'm thinking Indiana is gonna throw in Jermaine O'Neal and now he will be stuck doing nothing in Minny, tho he wasnt doing much in Indiana anyways.

DDS4
06-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Window dressing.

I'll believe it when I see it.

spurscenter
06-25-2007, 04:33 PM
MINNY is so stupid. McHale is a joke.

Im disgusted if they let go of garnett.

spurscenter
06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
wtf does minny get

Anal Ese -5 oz bottle

MadDog73
06-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I thought KG was going to the Suns...

alamo50
06-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Good.

I kind of miss the Spurs/Lakers rivalry.

Oh yes, please make this happen!

mardigan
06-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Its now being reported that it would be a 4 team deal
Lakers get KG
Boston gets J O'Neal
Pacers get Bynum and Odom
T-Wolves get number 5 pick and Al Jefferson

Lakers, Wolves reportedly in talks regarding Garnett
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 25, 2007, 5:37 PM ET

If the Lakers are trying to get Kobe Bryant to change his mind about leaving, they're off to a good start.

The Los Angeles Times cited league sources on Monday saying that the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves are in discussions that could bring Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles.

Trade discussions have involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and possibly a fourth team. The report says that the Lakers would get Garnett, while the Pacers would land Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. The Wolves would likely acquire a lottery pick and young players. Another team would also have to be involved to make the deal work financially.

Sources told ESPN and ESPN.com that the fourth team at this point is the Celtics, who would get Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers.

The Timberwolves will have to get enough in return to make this deal work, ESPN Insider's Chad Ford writes. He offers some possible scenarios. Blog

According to the Times, Lakers owner Jerry Buss and Wolves owner Glen Taylor spoke on the phone for about 20 minutes on Friday. Buss then suggested that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale carry on the discussions on Monday.

Bryant has repeatedly asked for a trade over the past month, saying that he doesn't feel that the Lakers are trying hard enough to improve. After losing in the NBA Finals four years ago, the Lakers missed the playoffs in 2004-05 and were out of the postseason in the first round the past two years.

Garnett has never publicly requested a trade despite the fact that the Wolves have struggled to remain competitive in recent years. Minnesota finished with a 32-50 record last season. The Wolves haven't been to the playoffs since 2004.

With Garnett able to opt out of his contract after next season, the time might be right for the Wolves to pull the trigger on a deal. McHale said last week that he has not been actively shopping his star, but that was a bit of a departure from previous statements in which he said he would not trade Garnett.

The 12-year veteran is owed $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the final year of his contract. He has requested an extension and the Times is reporting that Buss has told Taylor he would be willing to do that.

Garnett averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds and 4.1 assists last season. He is a 10-time All-Star.

Bynum's name has come up often in any trade talks concerning the Lakers recently. He averaged 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds last season but is only 19 years old and 7 feet tall.

Odom averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season, but he did miss 26 games because of injuries. He has shoulder surgery in May but is expected to return for next season.

dallaskd
06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
sportscenter says they are talking right now and may be close. they said it needs to be done by draft day or it may not happen.

missmyzte
06-25-2007, 06:18 PM
The 4-team trade talks have broke down, last word is a straight-up deal between LA and Minny is on the table:
KG for Odom, Bynum and Kwame

Xylus
06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
The 4-team trade talks have broke down, last word is a straight-up deal between LA and Minny is on the table:
KG for Odom, Bynum and Kwame
I wouldn't make that deal if I were Minnesota.

JMarkJohns
06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
ESPN is reporting that McHale doesn't seem interested in that, even if the Lakers threw in the 19th overall pick.

Per ESPN...
"Sources told the Times, however, that Wolves general manager Kevin McHale is not thrilled with the idea of getting Odom and Bynum, even if they come with the Lakers' 19th pick in the June 28 draft."

E20
06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
LMAO Boston gets 5th pick and Al Jefferson.

TheTruth
06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Man, if I'm a boston fan I'm thrilled that trade broke down. Why the hell would the they trade the 5 pick AND Jefferson to get a broken down J O'neal?

NBA Junkie
06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't think the Lakers have the pieces to pull this off. This could all be done just to see how Phoenix reacts. They don't want KG going to the Lakers, and might bite at the Wolves wanting Stoudemire in a deal, which is what Minny wants.

TheNextGen
06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I don't think the Lakers have the pieces to pull this off. This could all be done just to see how Phoenix reacts. They don't want KG going to the Lakers, and might bite at the Wolves wanting Stoudemire in a deal, which is what Minny wants.

So your syaing just to break the Lakers form having KG, they would give up a younger Amare for KG? :dramaquee

NBA Junkie
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the Suns call the Wolves bluff on this one. It's obvious that the Wolves want no part of Marion nor does Marion want them or Boston.

One thing I do know is that the last thing Phoenix wants is for KG to be in a Laker uniform, and will pull out the possible stops to keep it from happening. Whether they panic and throw in Amare remains to be seen.

td4mvp3
06-25-2007, 08:32 PM
well i'm hoping the la-kg thing tanks, kobe and kg are a point guard away from running amok for the lakers. denver still scares me for next year, though: ai, melo, nene, martin. if camby's not there, then that mitigates things a bit.

dbreiden83080
06-25-2007, 09:16 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the Suns call the Wolves bluff on this one. It's obvious that the Wolves want no part of Marion nor does Marion want them or Boston.

One thing I do know is that the last thing Phoenix wants is for KG to be in a Laker uniform, and will pull out the possible stops to keep it from happening. Whether they panic and throw in Amare remains to be seen.

They are scared of the Lakers with KG, why? I am not afraid of that team with KG on it at all. If they are so great they should mainly be worried about us and Dallas if they keep their heads on straight. KG and Kobe with the rest of that team is not good enough to win a title.

mavs>spurs2
06-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Anyone who thinks that KG and Kobe couldnt be a potentially deadly combination needs to quickly remove their head from their ass.

dbreiden83080
06-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Anyone who thinks that KG and Kobe couldnt be a potentially deadly combination needs to quickly remove their head from their ass.

What else have they got? Their bench is mediocre they have no PG play at all. They need more than KG to be a title contender.

td4mvp3
06-25-2007, 11:16 PM
What else have they got? Their bench is mediocre they have no PG play at all. They need more than KG to be a title contender.
yeah, but they wouldn't need too much more. jason terry is looking to be traded. hell, maybe the wolves include hudson if they decide to go througgh with this.

NBA Junkie
06-25-2007, 11:44 PM
They are scared of the Lakers with KG, why? I am not afraid of that team with KG on it at all. If they are so great they should mainly be worried about us and Dallas if they keep their heads on straight. KG and Kobe with the rest of that team is not good enough to win a title.

You may not be, but the Suns may be, especially if they were pushing so hard to get Garnett in the first place.

Nevertheless, I agree with your opinion that Kobe and KG still wouldn't pose a major threat in the West.

This trade won't happen if it's just between the Lakers and T'Wolves. McHale may be an idiot, but not so much to blow this team up for an inconsistent Bynum, an injury riddled and inconsistent Odom, and a total stiff in Kwame fucking Brown.

Switchman
06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
KG deserves better than being locked up with Kobe Kancer Bryant.

Medvedenko
06-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Well I guess we'll see if this happens...Of course I would love to have KG in P&G along side KB24....it would be a dream come true really. The best PF and the best SG along with the best coach...now flame away...plus it's hillarious to see everyone saying they won't fear this duo...please, take away all of the BS and you have the 2 most efficient scorers as well as defenders in the game. Will this happen, who knows...they would still need help rounding out the field, maybe a Billups signing for point....yeah, I can dream. Still, this is better than seeing all the headlines about Kobe being traded and the Lakers imploding. I want KG or Kobe out of La...have LA start over. One or the other.

DOMINATOR
06-26-2007, 12:07 AM
KG deserves better than being locked up with Kobe Kancer Bryant.
why? KG wants a ball dominating guard who better than kobe?
Farmar, Kobe, Luke Walton, Garnett and Kwame Brown is pretty good. not much of a bench though.

iminlakerland
06-26-2007, 05:22 AM
Well I guess we'll see if this happens...Of course I would love to have KG in P&G along side KB24....it would be a dream come true really. The best PF and the best SG along with the best coach...now flame away...plus it's hillarious to see everyone saying they won't fear this duo...please, take away all of the BS and you have the 2 most efficient scorers as well as defenders in the game. Will this happen, who knows...they would still need help rounding out the field, maybe a Billups signing for point....yeah, I can dream. Still, this is better than seeing all the headlines about Kobe being traded and the Lakers imploding. I want KG or Kobe out of La...have LA start over. One or the other.

The best PF? Come on i would love to see KG In a laker uniform, but he is not the best PF in the league right now.

TheNextGen
06-26-2007, 03:52 PM

:clap

Manu Pacquiao
06-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Kobe and KG. The 2 NBA superstars I cant stand. All the Lakers needs now is get a team composed of:

G- Jason Terry
G- Kobe Bryant
F- Kevin Garnett
F- Kenyon Martin
C- Danny Fortson

And they'll officially the "Players I hate so much" starting five.

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 08:57 AM

Meh. Look at Carmelo Anthony and AI. That was supposed to be a killer combination...