PDA

View Full Version : So who is going to get an iPhone on Friday?

ToughActinTinactin
06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Any of you gadget geeks biting at the bit to get one? I know there has to be somebody who just "has" to have one.

Melmart1
06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Too expensive for me, plus my contract with Sprint isn't up until August. If it's less expensive then, who knows.

My friend is getting one, he is already with att and has moolah. He is pretty pissed at me, cus he didn't even know about it till about two weeks ago when I told him about it, and now he doesn't think he can resist getting one.

nsrammstein
06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
I'll wait a few years to get it, I suppose in a few years the price will drop significantly, But my son's birthday is coming up he's turning 15 and I have a feeling he's going to ask me for this phone.

boutons_
06-25-2007, 07:18 PM
bleeding edgers, get ready to hemorrhage profusely.

Expensive to buy, very expensive to operate over ATT/cingular.

Wait a year for the bugs to be fixed and reports from the bleeding edge.

Corps are pre-emptively banning iPhone due to security concerns.

nsrammstein
06-25-2007, 07:19 PM
What do I tell my son if he wants it? Do I just tell him NO?

Richard Cranium
06-25-2007, 07:56 PM

I don't see any problem with it. It's not like you are buying him an SUV or anything.

nsrammstein
06-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't see any problem with it. It's not like you are buying him an SUV or anything.

You're right, it's just a god damn phone that is close to 400$ dollars.

cornbread
06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
What is an iphone? Whatever it is, if I need one, I'll wait a few years so that the kinks can get hammered out and competion can force the price to drop.

monosylab1k
06-25-2007, 08:17 PM
this thread might as well be titled "who is a pathetic douchebag who wants to compensate for his tiny dick by getting Apple's latest table scraps to show off to the chicks that will be rejecting him at the club Friday night?"

resistanze
06-25-2007, 08:18 PM
The hell does a 15 year old need an iPhone for? A cell phone for that matter?

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2007, 08:18 PM
i can't believe this thread.

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2007, 08:19 PM

thank you.

nsrammstein
06-25-2007, 08:22 PM

Most of his friends have a cellphone so I figured that he was going to ask me for one sooner or later.

NorCal510
06-25-2007, 08:31 PM
i need this iPhone so i can get some pussy

TheThinkingMan
06-25-2007, 08:35 PM

I think getting an iPhone is the least of your problems.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Boston Pancake
06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
you's fucks don't know fuckin' shit. iPhone is gonna be wicked awesome.

Borosai
06-25-2007, 09:01 PM
iPDA is more like it. It's too big and expensive, but there are plenty of people who will buy it.

dallaskd
06-25-2007, 09:07 PM
i would but i already have an ipod

marini martini
06-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Can't u just get a hooker? It would be cheaper?

Melmart1
06-25-2007, 09:12 PM
So.. how old does a child need to be before he gets his own cell phone? I mean seriously, 15 is an acceptable age, imho. In this day and age, a kid needs it to get a hold of people. There are barely any (working) pay phones left anywhere and lots of households no longer have archaic land lines. So how the fuck are they supposed to get a hold of people, you know, like parents and stuff?

NorCal510
06-25-2007, 09:26 PM
id say 14 is youngest for a cell phone.

NorCal510
06-25-2007, 09:26 PM
or right at the start of high school

ToughActinTinactin
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
i can't believe this thread.

What is so hard to believe? The iPhone comes out on Friday.

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2007, 09:39 PM
i didn't get a cell phone until i was 24...not that everyone should wait that long, but i don't like being called or tracked down. i leave the house to get away from all that. another thing i find funny is those who say what if you need to contact someone, or something happens....blah, blah, blah. what did people do before cell phones?...and yes, its a relevant question.

ToughActinTinactin
06-25-2007, 09:44 PM
i didn't get a cell phone until i was 24...not that everyone should wait that long, but i don't like being called or tracked down. i leave the house to get away from all that. another thing i find funny is those who say what if you need to contact someone, or something happens....blah, blah, blah. what did people do before cell phones?...and yes, its a relevant question.

Can't argue with that. But once the human race advances there is no way in hell it'll turn back.

Sonia_TX
06-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I would like one but they're going to be too expensive. Besides, my two year contract doesn't end until next summer with AT&T/Cingular so hopefully by then they'll be cheaper and I can get it. If not I am just going to get the Blackberry Curve. :)

Melmart1
06-25-2007, 09:59 PM
They used pay phones and landlines, both of which are getting scarce in a hurry.

resistanze
06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Meh, I don't see the necessity of a cell phone for a 15 year old. Mondays to Fridays the kid's in HS for most of the day. I don't know how the needs of 15 years olds in 2007 has changed drastically from 1997.

And teens hardly use cell phones to call their parents, that's for sure. My friends that had cell phones in HS used it as a portable game system/talking to friends during school hours. I'd hate to see them with $500 iPhones @ that age.

IMO there just ain't much going on in the life a 15 year old.

exstatic
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
What are you going to do if your 15 YO hates the huge fucking phone? It's a fucking brick compared to normal cel phones. Just get him a flip phone that plays music. Teens are WAY irresponsible. He'll be losing it about every 6 months.

Oh, and I'll save you a little aggravation. Buy an unlimited texting package. They're going to do it like crazy. Also, inquire into disabling features like game and ringtone downloads and internet browsing. They won't tell you about it. You have to ask. A co-worker bought cel phones for her two kids, and they texted, downloaded everything possible, and generally acted like teens. Her first phone bill was seven or eight hundred dollars.

Borosai
06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
If your kids need to make a call, tell them to borrow their friend's phone. It's a win-win for everyone.

marini martini
06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
When they get a drivers licence is when u should get him one. Ask me, my kid almost died when she was almost 17. Pay phone............too old skewl!

marini martini
06-25-2007, 10:13 PM
But need to be taught!!!!

Flea
06-25-2007, 10:19 PM
We have an extra cell phone, a family phone, that my kids use. Whichever one is gone (friends house, basketball game, etc) gets to use it. It has saved me a lot of aggravation and worrying. We live 11 miles from their school and sometimes I need to reach them if I am running late to pick them up or if they need to ride the bus, etc.
I made it quite clear that it still MY phone. :)

Fillmoe
06-25-2007, 10:56 PM
rockin a blackberry 8800..... FUCK A IPHONE!

RogerIsEatingASandwich
06-25-2007, 11:13 PM
iPhone costs wayyyyy too much. I'm happy with my Blackjack.

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2007, 11:32 PM
They used pay phones and landlines, both of which are getting scarce in a hurry.

not really, i see pay phones and land lines everywhere. furthermore, while cell phones can be helpful they are also a crutch and promote laziness. you can get yourself out of any situation without a cell phone...

...but let me be clear, i am not against cell phones (even though i usually leave mine at home when i go out anyway), i don't see the need for high schoolers let alone junior high schoolers to have them.

LuvBones
06-25-2007, 11:47 PM
not really, i see pay phones and land lines everywhere. furthermore, while cell phones can be helpful they are also a crutch and promote laziness. you can get yourself out of any situation without a cell phone...

...but let me be clear, i am not against cell phones (even though i usually leave mine at home when i go out anyway), i don't see the need for high schoolers let alone junior high schoolers to have them.Welcome to 2007. :p:

leemajors
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
iPhone costs wayyyyy too much. I'm happy with my Blackjack.
iPhone pricing is not really out of line with any major phone release. i believe the blackjack cost around the same when it debuted.

jaespur21
06-26-2007, 12:45 AM
i havent had a cell in almost 2 years but this iphone makes me want a phone again. hopefully ill get one soon enough.

my boss has a blackjack thats cool but its no iphone. this iphone is fuckin cool

The Red Hood
06-26-2007, 01:56 AM
So.. how old does a child need to be before he gets his own cell phone? I mean seriously, 15 is an acceptable age, imho. In this day and age, a kid needs it to get a hold of people. There are barely any (working) pay phones left anywhere and lots of households no longer have archaic land lines. So how the fuck are they supposed to get a hold of people, you know, like parents and stuff?

I don't think any 15 year old NEEDS an Iphone they may want one but they don't need it the thing has a blackberry it plays movies and music and has Internet if a kid needs a cell phone for emergencies than fine but since when does a kid need a blackberry for emergencies plus I think it would be better to wait till they get all the bugs and kinks out

BeerIsGood!
06-26-2007, 02:11 AM
I think a kid needs a cell when they are old enough to be out of the house without their parents in a non-school related manner - probably 15 to 16.

As for cell phones - I have one and it's my only phone. I cut off the land lines and haven't looked back.

That said, I have grown to absolutely hate the damn thing. It's an electric leash and anyone can get ahold of you at anytime. I like to get away from people for a while so most of the time during the days I just put it on silent and stick it in the center console in the car. I'll check it a couple of times to see if anything is urget, but other than that I ignore it.

BeerIsGood!
06-26-2007, 02:12 AM
I'm not buying another phone until one comes out that has satellite TV capabilities where I can catch the game while I'm sitting in waiting rooms or on the benches at shopping centers waiting for the better half to perform her instinctual shopping duties.

iminlakerland
06-26-2007, 05:10 AM
I pretty much heard that the iphone still needs a few kinks and bugs worked on, so if you want one, it is probably best you wait. I in particular could care less about the phone but hey thats me.

As far as kids are concerned, these days i've seen kids in elementary school have cell phones. WTF?!?! Back in high school when cells were first in and the pager was becoming extinct...lol everyone had one tho...my mom said wtf do you need one for? Pretty much didnt get one...I got my cell phone at the age of prolly 18/19 at this point i dont recall.

But as far as pay phones are concerned, it is becoming very rare out here in southern cali atleast to find some. Half of them dont work and the others you probably dont want your child in that area.

But no way in hell should you get your 15 y/o son a damn iphone...if you do make sure you insure it, and you will still probably have to pay $$$ if he loses it to replace it. I as a parent would say no.

MoSpur
06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Would love to get one, but my contract w/Nextel runs until the new year. I would love to get rid of my i870's to get a new phone.

leemajors
06-26-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm not buying another phone until one comes out that has satellite TV capabilities where I can catch the game while I'm sitting in waiting rooms or on the benches at shopping centers waiting for the better half to perform her instinctual shopping duties.
time warner and sprint offer the piVot service.

leemajors
06-26-2007, 10:01 AM
http://www.apple.com/iphone/pr/20070626plans.html

AT&T Inc. and Apple® today announced three simple, affordable service plans for iPhone™ which start at just $59.99 per month. All three plans include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll-over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. With everything else already included, iPhone customers can easily choose the plan that’s right for them based on the amount of voice minutes they plan to use each month. In addition, iPhone customers can choose from any of AT&T’s standard service plans.

doesn't seem like a bad deal with unlimited data.

ComfortablyNumb
06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I think it'll be bad ass.

DJREN37
06-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm in line on friday at noon, sold my ipod and sk3, no phone is perfect, but I do love the FULL internet in my pocket not the baby internet u get with the treo or blackberry, also its an ipod. The optical quality glass screen that is a touchscreen sold me also. The ipone also features a full os, mac os 10, how many other phones run vista or xp for that matter. Don't hate the iphone, u kbnow u want one lol.

Thunder Dan
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I was planning on it awhile back, but I ended up getting a new Blackjack for only $75 w/ a 2 year plan a couple weeks ago. I'm sure they are cool, but I don't think I would ever spend $500 on a phone I know will be 1/5 of that in a year. Look at the RAZR, that thing was like $250 when it first came out. Now its the phone you get for free when you sign a plan.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm interested as to what all the iPod can do. They're not even advertising all of it's capabilities until you actually open it up for yourself.

MoSpur
06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
The fact that you can watch videos on that screen and browse the web is awesome. Plus you can download tons of music. All of it is touchscreen. I hate having a contract!!!

DJREN37
06-26-2007, 02:12 PM
1/5 is probobly all it will be worth in a year since the 2nd generation iphone will hopefully be out by may of 2008. I also like the visual voice mail, and the ability of wi-fi, both my job and apartment complex have free wi-fi. $600 for 8gb version, $50 for case, and $80 a month is a bit high, but we all have to treat ourselves sometime. I wore out my sidekick 3, and plan on doing the same with the iphone.

boutons_
06-27-2007, 10:27 AM
iPhone Total Cost of Ownership: Up to $5,914.76

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/06/iphone-total-co.html

boutons_
06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
June 27, 2007

State of the Art

The iPhone Matches Most of Its Hype

By DAVID POGUE

Talk about hype. In the last six months, Apple’s iPhone has been the subject of 11,000 print articles, and it turns up about 69 million hits on Google. Cultists are camping out in front of Apple stores; bloggers call it the “Jesus phone.” All of this before a single consumer has even touched the thing.

So how is it?

As it turns out, much of the hype and some of the criticisms are justified. The iPhone is revolutionary; it’s flawed. It’s substance; it’s style. It does things no phone has ever done before; it lacks features found even on the most basic phones.

Unless you’ve been in a sensory-deprivation tank for six months, you already know what the iPhone is: a tiny, gorgeous hand-held computer whose screen is a slab of touch-sensitive glass.

The $500 and $600 models have 4 and 8 gigabytes of storage, respectively — room for about 825 or 1,825 songs. (In each case, 700 megabytes is occupied by the phone’s software.) That’s a lot of money; then again, the price includes a cellphone, video iPod, e-mail terminal, Web browser, camera, alarm clock, Palm-type organizer and one heck of a status symbol.

The phone is so sleek and thin, it makes Treos and BlackBerrys look obese. The glass gets smudgy — a sleeve wipes it clean — but it doesn’t scratch easily. I’ve walked around with an iPhone in my pocket for two weeks, naked and unprotected (the iPhone, that is, not me), and there’s not a mark on it.

But the bigger achievement is the software. It’s fast, beautiful, menu-free, and dead simple to operate. You can’t get lost, because the solitary physical button below the screen always opens the Home page, arrayed with icons for the iPhone’s 16 functions.

You’ve probably seen Apple’s ads, showing how things on the screen have a physics all their own. Lists scroll with a flick of your finger, CD covers flip over as you flick them, e-mail messages collapse down into a trash can. Sure, it’s eye candy. But it makes the phone fun to use, which is not something you can say about most cellphones.

Apple has chosen AT&T (formerly Cingular) to be the iPhone’s exclusive carrier for the next few years, in part because the company gave Apple carte blanche to revise everything people hate about cellphones.

For example, once the phone goes on sale this Friday, you won’t sign up for service in a phone store, under pressure from the sales staff. You will be able to peruse and choose a plan at your leisure, in the iTunes software on your computer.

Video
More Video »
Better yet, unlimited Internet service adds only $20 a month to AT&T’s voice-plan prices, about half what BlackBerry and Treo owners pay. For example, $60 gets you 450 talk minutes, 200 text messages and unlimited Internet; $80 doubles that talk time. The iPhone requires one of these voice-and-Internet plans and a two-year commitment.

On the iPhone, you don’t check your voice mail; it checks you. One button press reveals your waiting messages, listed like e-mail. There’s no dialing in, no password — and no sleepy robot intoning, “You...have...twenty...one...messages.”

To answer a call, you can tap Answer on the screen, or pinch the microscopic microphone bulge on the white earbud cord. Either way, music or video playback pauses until you hang up. (When you’re listening to music, that pinch pauses the song. A double-pinch advances to the next song.)

Making a call, though, can take as many as six steps: wake the phone, unlock its buttons, summon the Home screen, open the Phone program, view the Recent Calls or speed-dial list, and select a name. Call quality is only average, and depends on the strength of your AT&T signal.

E-mail is fantastic. Incoming messages are fully formatted, complete with graphics; you can even open (but not edit) Word, Excel and PDF documents.

The Web browser, though, is the real dazzler. This isn’t some stripped-down, claustrophobic My First Cellphone Browser; you get full Web layouts, fonts and all, shrunk to fit the screen. You scroll with a fingertip — much faster than scroll bars. You can double-tap to enlarge a block of text for reading, or rotate the screen 90 degrees, which rotates and magnifies the image to fill the wider view.

Finally, you can enlarge a Web page — or an e-mail message, or a photo — by spreading your thumb and forefinger on the glass. The image grows as though it’s on a sheet of latex.

The iPhone is also an iPod. When in its U.S.B. charging cradle, the iPhone slurps in music, videos and photos from your Mac or Windows PC. Photos, movies and even YouTube videos look spectacular on the bright 3.5-inch very-high-resolution screen.

The Google Maps module lets you view street maps or aerial photos for any address. It can provide driving directions, too. It’s not real G.P.S. — the iPhone doesn’t actually know where you are — so you tap the screen when you’re ready for the next driving instruction.

But how’s this for a consolation prize? Free live traffic reporting, indicated by color-coded roads on the map.

Apple says one battery charge is enough for 8 hours of calls, 7 hours of video or 24 hours of audio. My results weren’t quite as impressive: I got 5 hours of video and 23 hours of audio, probably because I didn’t turn off the phone, Wi-Fi and other features, as Apple did in its tests. In practice, you’ll probably wind up recharging about every other day.

So yes, the iPhone is amazing. But no, it’s not perfect.

There’s no memory-card slot, no chat program, no voice dialing. You can’t install new programs from anyone but Apple; other companies can create only iPhone-tailored mini-programs on the Web. The browser can’t handle Java or Flash, which deprives you of millions of Web videos.

The two-megapixel camera takes great photos, provided the subject is motionless and well lighted . But it can’t capture video. And you can’t send picture messages (called MMS) to other cellphones.

Apple says that the battery starts to lose capacity after 300 or 400 charges. Eventually, you’ll have to send the phone to Apple for battery replacement, much as you do now with an iPod, for a fee.

Then there’s the small matter of typing. Tapping the skinny little virtual keys on the screen is frustrating, especially at first.

Two things make the job tolerable. First, some very smart software offers to complete words for you, and, when you tap the wrong letter, figures out what word you intended. In both cases, tapping the Space bar accepts its suggestion.

Second, the instructional leaflet encourages you to “trust” the keyboard (or, as a product manager jokingly put it, to “use the Force”). It sounds like new-age baloney, but it works; once you stop stressing about each individual letter and just plow ahead, speed and accuracy pick up considerably.

Even so, text entry is not the iPhone’s strong suit. The BlackBerry won’t be going away anytime soon.

The bigger problem is the AT&T network. In a Consumer Reports study, AT&T’s signal ranked either last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major cities. My tests in five states bear this out. If Verizon’s slogan is, “Can you hear me now?” AT&T’s should be, “I’m losing you.”

Then there’s the Internet problem. When you’re in a Wi-Fi hot spot, going online is fast and satisfying.

But otherwise, you have to use AT&T’s ancient EDGE cellular network, which is excruciatingly slow. The New York Times’s home page takes 55 seconds to appear; Amazon.com, 100 seconds; Yahoo. two minutes. You almost ache for a dial-up modem.

These drawbacks may be deal-killers for some people. On the other hand, both the iPhone and its network will improve. Apple points out that unlike other cellphones, this one can and will be enhanced with free software updates. That’s good, because I encountered a couple of tiny bugs and one freeze. (There’s also a tantalizing empty space for a row of new icons on the Home screen.) A future iPhone model will be able to exploit AT&T’s newer, much faster data network, which is now available in 160 cities.

But even in version 1.0, the iPhone is still the most sophisticated, outlook-changing piece of electronics to come along in years. It does so many things so well, and so pleasurably, that you tend to forgive its foibles.

In other words, maybe all the iPhone hype isn’t hype at all. As the ball player Dizzy Dean once said, “It ain’t bragging if you done it.”

E-mail: [email protected]. For his regular column tomorrow, David Pogue will answer frequently asked questions about the iPhone.

The Red Hood
06-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I heard that you can't download music from your phone or you can't move music from your computer to your iphone you need to download music from your Itunes and then move it to your phone some or some shit like that :rolleyes

MoSpur
06-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I want to go get one tomorrow so bad. I know I don't need it, but I want it.

Let's see. I have an air hockey table I can sell. I have some chrome chevy rims up for grabs too. I can also sell my Nextel phones.

atxrocker
06-27-2007, 02:01 PM
i want one of them hoes

MoSpur
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
What? The air hockey table? cool. I sell it to you for $175. LOL

leemajors
06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I heard that you can't download music from your phone or you can't move music from your computer to your iphone you need to download music from your Itunes and then move it to your phone some or some shit like that :rolleyes
as with any iPod, there are ways around that. unless you're a total novice.

Shelly
06-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I think my husband's gonna get one. He's eligible to upgrade and we're already with ATT

xrayzebra
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM

What would you do with it after you got it???? :lol

Thunder Dan
06-27-2007, 03:39 PM
People considering paying that much on a phone should visit

www.feedthepig.com

Avitus1
06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Why do I need a phone to do all that? I think I'll pass.

fraga
06-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Thing looks bad ass...if I wasn't locked up with Sprint...I'd probably be getting one...

makedamnsure
06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Get a Blackberry Pearl. It plays music, you can put a memory card in it, it has a camera that takes decent pictures, it can go online. It just lacks a touch screen. But the Pearl is sweet.

All for 300 dollars less.

Insomniac
06-28-2007, 03:02 AM
I saw that there's been all these folks in line for days! Awaiting its release Friday.

Leetonidas
06-28-2007, 03:04 AM

Is that a serious question?

Shelly
06-30-2007, 08:56 AM
All the Apple stores were open until midnight. My husband went at 11:30 pm to the one at La Cantera and bought one.

Regardless of the cost, it's a really fucking cool phone and you acitvate it through iTunes.

Thunder Dan
06-30-2007, 09:06 AM
How do people with time to camp our for a phone have $600 to spend on a phone?

This is funny, the mayor of Philly took off work Friday to camp out for a phone hahahaMayor caught camping for IPhone (http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/29/philadelphia-mayor-caught-camping-for-an-iphone/)

SpursWoman
06-30-2007, 09:11 AM
How do people with time to camp our for a phone have $600 to spend on a phone?

This is funny, the mayor of Philly took off work Friday to camp out for a phone hahahaMayor caught camping for IPhone (http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/29/philadelphia-mayor-caught-camping-for-an-iphone/)

Looks like you answered your own question. :lol

Shelly
06-30-2007, 09:12 AM
He didn't have to stand in line. When he went, hardly anyone was there. He said the store said they sold about 200 phones.

If you order one through apple.com, it will take 2-4 weeks to ship.

leemajors
06-30-2007, 09:13 AM
i get a free one next month! :elephant

Shelly
06-30-2007, 09:15 AM
fyi...I've heard that people that aren't already with Cingular (the new AT&T) may have a hard time activating their phones.

leemajors
06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
fyi...I've heard that people that aren't already with Cingular (the new AT&T) may have a hard time activating their phones.
you're supposed to be able to activate them through iTunes 7.3, but there may be some bugs.

KEDA
06-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Ill take my Q over the Iphone!

The Moto Q is an EVDO phone, and as Johnny Blaze can tell you, it is super fast ANYWHERE I go.

Screw the Iphone, at least for now. Once other, better networks get it, it will be great!

Shelly
06-30-2007, 09:33 AM
you're supposed to be able to activate them through iTunes 7.3, but there may be some bugs.

I know...if you read my first post :)

He was able to activate it within 5 minutes. We're already with At&T, so it wasn't a problem...the problem is with people who are switching from another network.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Fuck the iPhone.

I want this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid932579976?bclid=932553050

SpursWoman
06-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Fuck the iPhone.

I want this:

Dayum! :wow :wow

leemajors
06-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I know...if you read my first post :)

He was able to activate it within 5 minutes. We're already with At&T, so it wasn't a problem...the problem is with people who are switching from another network.
yeah, i saw some people had to wait 24 hours for their current contracts to be deactivated. there would be no way i was getting one if it wasn't free. steve jobs is giving every Apple badged employee an 8GB iPhone. i'm stoked.

KEDA
06-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Fuck the iPhone.

I want this:

That is the sickest thing I have seen in a long time!

Shelly
06-30-2007, 10:09 AM
yeah, i saw some people had to wait 24 hours for their current contracts to be deactivated. there would be no way i was getting one if it wasn't free. steve jobs is giving every Apple badged employee an 8GB iPhone. i'm stoked.

That's really cool!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Fuck the iPhone.

I want this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid932579976?bclid=932553050eh, the iPhone looks a bit more mobile. I doubt I'd want to carry around that surface computer.

Phil Hellmuth
06-30-2007, 11:04 AM
this thing just screams for theft IMO.

BacktoBasics
06-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I didn't read all four pages but it was mentioned that some of you would wait until the price drops. Well you might see a slight drop in price but usually what happens is when the product get stale they simply pull it from the shelves and replace it with an updated version to avoid a big price drop. Simply renewing intrest in a redefined model.

I wouldn't expect huge price drops anytime soon.

DarkReign
06-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Fuck the iPhone.

I want this:

Dude, youre a harbinger of good will.

That is, by far, the coolest shit I have ever seen under the realm of plausible, useable, believeable technology.

That is something I am going to get when it comes out. No ifs, ands or buts.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2007, 12:23 PM
this thing just screams for theft IMO.easy vandalizing material

leemajors
06-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Dude, youre a harbinger of good will.

That is, by far, the coolest shit I have ever seen under the realm of plausible, useable, believeable technology.

That is something I am going to get when it comes out. No ifs, ands or buts.
it will be a while before it's available to the general public. it's gonna be used in retail only for a while from what i have heard.

leemajors
06-30-2007, 12:26 PM
this thing just screams for theft IMO.
no more so than any other expensive "smart" phone.

SpursWoman
06-30-2007, 12:28 PM
no more so than any other expensive "smart" phone.

....or car, jewlery, car stereo, laptops, whatever. I'm pretty sure insurace will cover it.

DarkReign
06-30-2007, 01:10 PM
it will be a while before it's available to the general public. it's gonna be used in retail only for a while from what i have heard.

If/When it does become available to the average consumer, that thing is mine. No matter the cost.

Remember being a kid, playing with the technology of the day, and dreaming of the future advancements?

That thing is the true first step. Mouse+keyboard be completely damned.

jaffies
06-30-2007, 03:08 PM
this makes me believe in karma:

bitch gets owned at apple store (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=66434CA6FE6500D6A04B9F946D779145 ?contentId=3641729&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1)

SpursWoman
06-30-2007, 03:27 PM

bitch gets owned at apple store (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=66434CA6FE6500D6A04B9F946D779145 ?contentId=3641729&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1)

Ouch. :lol

DJREN37
06-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Got mine and it is awesome, been stopped 8 times today by folks wanting to play with it, better than the q, dirtberry and peo750.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-01-2007, 01:18 AM

:lmao

Xolotl
07-01-2007, 09:50 AM

:clap that was the best thing I've seen since the surface computer

velik_m
07-01-2007, 11:23 AM
If/When it does become available to the average consumer, that thing is mine. No matter the cost.

Remember being a kid, playing with the technology of the day, and dreaming of the future advancements?

That thing is the true first step. Mouse+keyboard be completely damned.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk

Leetonidas
07-01-2007, 11:33 AM

:lmao

leemajors
07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk
looks a lot better than hunching over that table.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Some iPhone Customers Face Delays
By MAY WONG,AP
Posted: 2007-07-01 11:28:00
Filed Under: Business News

SAN FRANCISCO (July 1) - While many who snapped up Apple Inc.'s iPhone were using the latest must-have gadget even before leaving the store, some buyers were put on hold as they experienced frustrating delays in activating their cell phone service.

"A vast majority" of customers were up and running within minutes, said Michael Coe, a spokesman for AT&T Inc., the phone's exclusive carrier. But he acknowledged Saturday that some were facing delays because the high volume of activation requests were taxing the company's computer servers.

Tim Johnson of Collegeville, Penn., found himself still staring at a crippled - albeit sleek and sexy - gadget on Saturday afternoon, more than 18 hours after he had waited in line to buy the device.

"It looks cool, but I can't do anything with it," he said. "I'm angry and frustrated and feel like I wasted my time standing in line."

Coe wouldn't say how many customers were affected, or how long some of them would have to wait. The company was working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, he said.

Jennifer Bowcock, an Apple spokeswoman, said Apple was also working to minimize the problem for its customers.

The sleek, touch-screen cell phone that triples as an iPod media player and a wireless Web device went on sale at Apple and AT&T stores Friday evening after months of breathless hype and anticipation.

Apple has not disclosed how many were available at launch, but thousands were sold across the nation to eager customers who camped out in front of stores for as long as four days.

A feature that allows customers to activate their iPhone's cell phone service by logging onto Apple's iTunes software from their computers led many buyers to head straight home to christen the device. Some even logged on from their laptops outside the stores Friday and quickly started using the phone, saying the activation process took only minutes.

"It's amazing and it was so easy to set up," said Liz Cecchini of San Antonio, Texas. She and her husband lined up a day before the launch, enduring pouring rain to buy four - one each for themselves, their 15-year-old daughter and a friend.

But untold others were stalled Friday when they received a computer message saying the process "will take some additional time."

Bowcock would not disclose whether Apple stores were already running out of stock Saturday. The company's flagship store in San Francisco had sold out of the 8-gigabyte $599 model by Saturday but still had $499 4-gigabyte versions available.

Most AT&T stores had sold out of iPhones Friday night, but the company was still taking orders from customers to have the product shipped to them once more arrived, Coe said.

As of 4:45 p.m. EDT Saturday, eBay Inc. said about 745 out of 8,000 iPhone offerings had been sold on the online auction site at an average price of $962.

http://news.aol.com/business/story/_a/some-iphone-customers-face-delays/20070629121409990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

King
07-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Microsoft Surface Commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY)

DarkReign
07-02-2007, 05:10 PM
That linux touchscreen is cool and all, but nothing compared to that table deal.

The fact that it reacts to things you put on it, such as a camera and flash drive, allows instant interactivity (obviously, the components have to be bluetooth/wifi/wireless capable) is beyond the touchscreen.

But cool link nonetheless.

T Park
07-02-2007, 05:19 PM
so can you hang up on someone by like punching the table?

Burn531
07-02-2007, 06:09 PM
500,000 iPhones sold over the weekend (http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9738446-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1001_3-0-5)

boutons_
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
500K, Apple better not have any/many firmware bugs.

There must bet 10s of 1000s 1000s of lines of code in there, some flashable and some fixed in logic arrays.

500K, and counting, is huge hardware beta test to correct.

Shelly
07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Hubby has no complaints. Only problem he has is with Bluetooth in his car as he keeps disconnecting. But the problem is with Bluetooth as it works fine with my car's BT.

DarkReign
07-02-2007, 07:11 PM
so can you hang up on someone by like punching the table?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

leemajors
07-02-2007, 07:24 PM
500K, Apple better not have any/many firmware bugs.

There must bet 10s of 1000s 1000s of lines of code in there, some flashable and some fixed in logic arrays.

500K, and counting, is huge hardware beta test to correct.
i believe it's running a version of macOS, which is pretty stable.

boutons_
08-02-2007, 02:43 PM
This story appeared on Network World at

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/080107-why-the-iphone-wont-infiltrate.html

5 reasons the iPhone won't infiltrate your business

By Thomas Wailgum, CIO, 08/01/07
Sponsored by:

The hype around Apple's iPhone is dizzying. As the iPhone makes its debut, we're going to stay grounded and seek answers to this question: Will it infiltrate corporate America? To understand why it won't, read on. To scan a list of reasons why it very well could, see here. After reading both lists, tell us what you think is going to happen to the iPhone and the enterprise--a marriage made in heaven or a disaster waiting to happen?

1. The cost

For those cost-conscious CIOs who love a good deal (meaning: deep discounts for bulk purchases), that's not going to happen with the iPhone. AT&T is not offering any kind of discount on the device. On Tuesday, Apple and AT&T announced that charge-by-the month plans start at US$59.99 (for 450 minutes) and run up to $99.99 (for 1,350).

A recent IDC survey found that just 10 percent of users researching their next cell phone purchase were OK with paying the full price for the iPhone and inking a two-year contract with AT&T.

In addition, many analysts and pundits have pointed out that there may be plenty of bugs and problems with iPhone 1.0, and that could turn many people off. "I am the quintessential early adopter, and I'm not doing it anymore," says Richard LeVine, a security and risk expert for mobile devices at Accenture. LeVine says he bought a Suzuki Sidekick when it first came out, but adds, "I'm not buying a first-gen V1 iPhone." He's a huge Apple fan (he bought a first-generation iPod), but with the iPhone, "I expect firmware and patch releases and bug fixes." So he's going to wait on the iPhone. In addition, he claims like many others that he doesn't like iPhone's touch screen because he "wants a phone with physical buttons."

2. Apple's never been enterprise-driven

The BlackBerry's turf is mobile corporate users. RIM has more than 8 million CrackBerry fanatics right now, and that's going to be tough to crack. Even more difficult for Apple is the fact that RIM recently delivered new devices with more multimedia capabilities--the Curve and the Pearl--that work just like other "corporatized" BlackBerrys.

Apple-related products (Macs) are usually just too different and too expensive for most companies. The iPhone runs the Mac OS, and according to a report on the iPhone from Jack Gold, founder and principal analyst at researcher J. Gold Associates, "this is a major constraint, since few third-party application vendors (for example, Good Technologies for a push e-mail client) run on the Mac."

Lastly, the iPhone can't edit Microsoft Office documents and there are issues with Windows Outlook or Lotus Notes e-mail applications, which the iPhone doesn't support right now. (But, really, who even uses those anymore?)

3. Security issues (and that Glass Touch Screen!)

There's been a lot made of security vulnerabilities and the fact that the iPhone is just another new and untested device that falls in a long line of mobile devices users would like to hook into CIOs' networks. In a recent Computerworld article, Andrew Storms, director of security operations at nCircle Network Security, called the iPhone "a nightmare for security teams. What I'm afraid of is that enterprises are going to get pressure from, say, sales, to bring this in. And even if it's not approved, people will try to connect it to their corporate networks. It has no place in the enterprise."

According to the article, Storms' issue with the iPhone is the lack of a security management tool that could enforce enterprise policies about which devices connect to the network. "There are no central management tools. If there was a product that integrated with [Mac] OS X Server, it would be a totally different story," said Storms in the article. "Apple has been quiet about enterprise security, so we have to expect and plan for the worst."

And what about that glass touch screen? Indeed, the iPhone is beautiful, like a delicate piece of china. However, we all know what happens to a delicate piece of china when you drop it. As a recent report from CurrentAnalysis points out, "A hardened glass screen may be durable--Motorola is also using glass on its RAZR2 product--but it sure sounds like something that ought to crack. The commentary on gadget enthusiast sites is already replete with jeering critics cheering the expected rash of smashed screens. Sure, most of these people aren't materials scientists--some are probably 12 years old--but 'glass breaks' is a message Apple will have to overcome." (To see a video spoof as an example of the potential "fingerprint smudge problem, go here.)

4. Enterprises aren't huge fans of multimedia devices--yet

Although this trend is starting to change, CIOs and security chiefs are still hesitant to allow mobile devices that have these newer capabilities on the network (or even in the building: the digital camera feature is Exhibit A). So just how important is it that a company pay for its sales staff have MP3 or video players on their mobile devices?

According to a 2007 report from In-Stat, few of the more than 800 respondents to a mobile handset survey who did not own a multimedia handset had any desire to purchase one. In addition, In-Stat analyst Bill Hughes says that while there has been a recent increase in the number of multimedia devices sold in the United States, "the growth in multimedia handsets has more to do with operators pushing multimedia handsets to the market, rather than a strong desire by consumers to adopt multimedia handsets or use multimedia services." For example, he found that more than 80 percent of users with handsets that have these capabilities rarely, if ever, use the features.

And when compared with the rest of the world--Japan, India, South Korea and most of Europe--the United States has historically lagged in utilizing mobile devices for anything more than making phone calls or checking e-mail. "I hesitate to call the U.S. a laggard, but it's a different cultural environment," Hughes adds.

As to the iPhone's success, Hughes hedges a bit. "I believe the iPhone will be moderately successful," he says, "but I don't believe they'll get 1 percent of the phone market."

5. Carrier, content and network issues

From a historical viewpoint, there's been a lot of frustration with wireless carriers--and most businesses have been reluctant to partner with the carriers to develop mobile solutions.

Most of the frustration with carriers stems from three areas: inconsistent networking standards among competitors, the two-year customer lock-in agreement, and the slower speeds on those networks. "The mobile networks are incredibly bad quality in the United States compared with Europe and the more advanced countries in Asia," says Web usability expert Jakob Nielsen, a principal of the Nielsen Norman Group.

Verizon Wireless's launch of its EV-DO (or Evolution-Data Optimized) 3G service last year has certainly helped spur growth in the consumer realm, but enterprises still aren't sold. And because AT&T is the exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone, there's been much grumbling about the two-year contract and the fact that the iPhone will run on AT&T's EDGE-based data network, which many analysts point out has slower speeds than 3G and has been called ancient by some. "The bigger problem is the AT&T network," writes Pogue in his iPhone review. "In a Consumer Reports study, AT&T's signal ranked either last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major cities. My tests in five states bear this out. If Verizon's slogan is, 'Can you hear me now?' AT&T's should be, 'I'm losing you.'"

Nielsen says that while the iPhone "is a nice piece of hardware, in most of the United States it's not going to work," he says. "Have you seen the coverage map?" He also points to one fact which the iPhone won't be able to gloss over with it's pretty interface and bells and whistles--the pervasiveness of "dead zones" in U.S. mobile coverage areas and dropped calls. "Even now, with just making a cell phone call, we don't have a stable resource," Nielsen says. "And that one thing explains it all."

All contents copyright 1995-2007 Network World, Inc. http://www.networkworld.com

leemajors
08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
you can easily edit microsoft excel sheets and word documents using google docs and spreadsheets - and it's free. i wouldn't have paid $600 for the iPhone, but since i got one for free i have one. it's one of the coolest toys i have ever had.