PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many believe...

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 06:37 PM
...that the Spurs will use 28th pick on a domestic player? That has trade or Europe written all over it.

bigdog
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
because its happened every year for a while now. but i dont think theyll do it this year. there is too much talent and i think a good player from the US will be there that could fit in

exstatic
06-25-2007, 06:40 PM
??? Our roster is already down one, minus Oberto. Finley's next. Udrih may be going for a pick. We're going to have a shit load of roster spots to fill in '08. No time like the present.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
because its happened every year for a while now. but i dont think theyll do it this year. there is too much talent and i think a good player from the US will be there that could fit in

The Spurs also had a shot at Howard or Barbosa and passed in favor of other objectives. Right now they are looking at lux tax territory for 2007-08 and a limited number of available roster spots. In addition, they can pick up a similar talent at #33 for a much lower price.

timvp
06-25-2007, 06:43 PM
If The 2008 Plan is still the plan, the Spurs will pick a foreigner or trade it.

FromWayDowntown
06-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Our roster is already down one, minus Oberto.

Oberto's a restricted free agent. It's quite reasonable to think that he opted out because he can get a couple more years and a few more millions from the Spurs. I wouldn't close the book on Fabri quite yet.

I'll concede, however, that if the Spurs start pick a couple of young bigs, Oberto might be leaving town.

timvp
06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll concede, however, that if the Spurs start pick a couple of young bigs, Oberto might be leaving town.

Yeah if the Spurs go with Fazekas, McRoberts or Splitter in the first round, that could mean they are going the economic route as far as replacing Oberto is concerned.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 06:47 PM
??? Our roster is already down one, minus Oberto. Finley's next. Udrih may be going for a pick. We're going to have a shit load of roster spots to fill in '08. No time like the present.

Spurs re-up Oberto and Vaughn (rather likely) and how much room is there at the inn, exactly? Spurs already have White as a swingman prospect. Mahinmi's reportedly coming over this summer. If Oberto leaves the Spurs won't replace him with a draftee.

The real spot of need which could be helped in the near term out of the draft would be at point and the Spurs can get as good of a prospect at #33 that they can get at #28. But that player replaces Udrih.

exstatic
06-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Well, we disagree. I think they let Oberto walk. If a late pick affects '08, a larger contract for Oberto does, times 4 or 5.

It's not like they get ALL of the non-allocated dollars next summer. The league charges a min salary for each empty roster spot. Might as well have some youngsters one year along in training filling some of those spots.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 06:52 PM
They've passed on far too many picks before with much greater uncertainty.

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2007, 06:55 PM
If they want to spenp the MLE I think they'll trade

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 06:55 PM
If the $400k in cap savings is more important to them next season, they'll trade or stash.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
The commitment is more than that on 1st round contracts. Right now they have White with nothing guaranteed and he's as good of a swing prospect as any domestic player they can pull at #28. Unless there is a domestic point guard they believe is going to blow up they can get the same talent at #33 with much less guaranteed than at #28.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:05 PM
The commitment is more than that on 1st round contracts. Nope. That's the difference between a signed first-rounder from this year and and empty roster spot charge next summer.

bdictjames
06-25-2007, 07:08 PM
I dont know, Spurs trust Europeans rather than Americans to forget about money and rather focus on winning?

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
There are only 2 foreign players worth the 28 pick and both may be gone before then - Fernandez, Belinelli. Otherwise they can truly reach for Gasol or Fesenko.

Past behavior is not predicate of future choices. They're working out way too many American players to think the 28 is necessarily gonna be international.

T Park
06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
so no Jared Dudley?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Right now they have White with nothing guaranteed and he's as good of a swing prospect as any domestic player they can pull at #28.He'll count $100k more than an empty roster spot next summer.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Nope. That's the difference between a signed first-rounder from this year and and empty roster spot charge next summer.

How many years? That's why a high 2nd rounder is of much more value than a low 1st to the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
There are only 2 foreign players worth the 28 pick and both may be gone before then - Fernandez, Belinelli. Otherwise they can truly reach for Gasol or Fesenko.

Past behavior is not predicate of future choices. They're working out way too many American players to think the 28 is necessarily gonna be international.

With the Spurs it has been so.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:14 PM
I dont know, Spurs trust Europeans rather than Americans to forget about money and rather focus on winning?

No. They can draft and stash international talents.

coachmac87
06-25-2007, 07:14 PM
...that the Spurs will use 28th pick on a domestic player? That has trade or Europe written all over it.

maybe because u posted like a million domestic draft prospect threads!!! just mabye i dunno

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
How many years? That's why a high 2nd rounder is of much more value than a low 1st to the Spurs.What are you talking about? I'm talking about the cap charge in the summer of 08.

BTW, the difference in the 08 cap hit between #28 and #33 signed this summer would be about $150k.

Solid D
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
The Spurs know the college talent is much better this year. The Spurs went out and hired George Felton for the purpose of evaluating domestic talent. I'd say the chances of the Spurs going with a college player is greater than 50-50.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:20 PM
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the cap charge in the summer of 08.

BTW, the difference in the 08 cap hit between #28 and #33 signed this summer would be about $150k.

The actual guaranteed money committed to the player. They can structure the contract for the 33rd pick pretty much however they want. With the 1st round pick they don't have the option.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:21 PM
The Spurs know the college talent is much better this year. The Spurs went out and hired George Felton for the purpose of evaluating domestic talent. I'd say the chances of the Spurs going with a college player is greater than 50-50.

Given the high 2nd they have it's not hard to see that as the reason.

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Marcus - if you're so het on them drafting an international, who do you think it'll be?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
The actual guaranteed money committed to the player. They can structure the contract for the 33rd pick pretty much however they want. With the 1st round pick they don't have the option.Again--

what?

You have to actually pay a second rounder. The number I gave was for the least a second rounder could make that season if signed this summer.

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Given the troubles with Fernandez and a possible future of good European players getting priced out of late first round contracts, it'd be smarter to take the European (whoever he is) with the 33 and the American (whoever he is) with the 28.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Marcus - if you're so het on them drafting an international, who do you think it'll be?

On talent, I think Fernandez then Belinelli. If neither are available, Splitter would make a lot of sense for them. Gasol is another, perhaps. Then again they may leave us with another head scratcher like Mahinmi in '05 (the Brazilian kid Silva whatshisname this time).

But I see a trade coming down the pike. My guess is the Spurs deal it to a team for a future 1st.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Again--

what?

You have to actually pay a second rounder. The number I gave was for the least a second rounder could make that season if signed this summer.

How many guaranteed years do you have to give a second round draft pick?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
How many guaranteed years do you have to give a second round draft pick?So the Spurs would waive the second rounder after one year? Is that the plan? That would save $240,000

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:29 PM
So the Spurs would waive the second rounder after one year? Is that the plan?

If he's unworthy. Unfortunately you can't do that with a 1st without paying for more than the 1st season.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
So your conclusion is the Spurs want to save the $400k no matter what.

Why are we talking about re-signing Oberto then?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 07:34 PM
So your conclusion is the Spurs want to save the $400k no matter what.

Why are we talking about re-signing Oberto then?

My conclusion is that the Spurs will go with the most cost-effective solution given the situation. They know how to structure a 2nd round pick's contract so as to minimize the obligation yet give them the opportunity to own the player's full Bird Rights. They won't be bringing in two rookies next season. #33 it is.

coachmac87
06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
ok marcus just curious..not trying to be a dick..but i dont get why u made this thread when u posted all of those domestic draft prospect threads?? i mean u had me going for a minute that the spurs were actually considering drafting a college kid at 28...but now ur telling us that were going international again...damnit! i knew reading all of those domestic threads were too good to be true :cry

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:36 PM
My conclusion is that the Spurs will go with the most cost-effective solution given the situation. They know how to structure a 2nd round pick's contract so as to minimize the obligation yet give them the opportunity to own the player's full Bird Rights. They won't be bringing in two rookies next season. #33 it is.
That's pretty much what I concluded awhile ago, but when have we ever guessed a Spurs pick?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
not trying to be a dickfailure.

coachmac87
06-25-2007, 07:39 PM
failure.

hey i tried :lol

A.H 21-50
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
the salary of a no.28 pick will not hurt the team basing on last year draft the pick no.28 will make less than 1,000,000 $ the first and the second year.

So it will depends on the workouts they had and on the roster spots available but IMO nothing is done yet

The FO have many options but probably they learn from the past drafts( barbosa , monta ellis or david lee were drafted after mahinmi and have done some good things ...)

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 09:01 PM
the salary of a no.28 pick will not hurt the team basing on last year draft the pick no.28 will make less than 1,000,000 $ the first and the second year.

So it will depends on the workouts they had and on the roster spots available but IMO nothing is done yet

The FO have many options but probably they learn from the past drafts( barbosa , monta ellis or david lee were drafted after mahinmi and have done some good things ...)

That may be $1 mil too much if the player sucks. They can structure the 33rd's pick to avoid that scenario.

A.H 21-50
06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
That may be $1 mil too much if the player sucks. They can structure the 33rd's pick to avoid that scenario.

For example $1 mil for a dudley type of player wouldn't sucks IMO
as for some guys in this draft who could be drafted by the spurs but we'll see

If the team wants to save some dollars for 08' the draft isn't a problem , this year FA with oberto who wants a good contrat , the Me( will they use it ? for how many years if they want a player like nocioni...) were major factors than the draft day

the only point i agree is the roster spots , the team don't have a lot of roster spots available .....

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Don't forget that they could very well bring Mahinmi in next season. So you'ld already have one rookie at a #28 pick's salary (albeit from the '05 scale) joining the club. Should they indeed use the #33 on a domestic player there's another rookie. Then they'll likely bring back James White. It makes way too much sense for the Spurs to deal the #28 or use it on a player likely to play abroad for a while than for them to use it and bring the player in.

AFBlue
06-25-2007, 09:59 PM

What happens when Fernandez, Splitter, and Belinelli are all off the board? Is Gasol or Fesenko or Barac really worth three years of guaranteed money? Nevermind when the Spurs would have to dole out the $$, the #28 pick is a guaranteed investment in the future, so are any of those guys worth it?

Obviously, that's something for the Spurs FO to decide. I DO think they'll factor the cap and roster situation into the draft this year, but ultimately I think they grab the guy they really want if he's available...no matter what position he plays and no matter where he currently plays.

If the Spurs like Pruitt at #28, they grab him...no doubt in my mind.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Nah, they deal the pick if they can't find an international they like. Of course, they could use it on the Brazilian (Silva) ala Mahinmi in '05.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Look at it this way, they have White and Butler to bring back if they so choose. Those two are basically draft picks for all intents and purposes. And they know a lot about them by now. Then you add to that whoever they pick at #33 and Mahinmi and that's 4 relatively inexperienced players on next season's roster. In addition that gives you a point guard prospect, a swingman prospect and two bigmen prospects. I just don't see them going much further with respect to young talent. Assuming that Mahinmi takes Ely's spot from last season and the #33 pick is used on a point who replaces Udrih, there's not that much room for new talent.

As for the possibility of Oberto leaving, the Spurs could very well bring Scola over if that happens.

spursreport
06-25-2007, 10:13 PM
:wtf :wtf :wtf Why do people keep assuming Finley is going to opt out? He doesnt need any more money. Cuban owes him 17 million next season.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
:wtf :wtf :wtf Why do people keep assuming Finley is going to opt out? He doesnt need any more money. Cuban owes him 17 million next season.

Maybe he wants more years. Now would be the summer to get that.

A.H 21-50
06-25-2007, 10:24 PM
here is the players we dont know yet if they will be spurs next year

mahinmi , scola , udrih , bonner , ely , vaughn
i didn't mention oberto because i think he will be there next season

with udrih , bonner , ely and vaughn we have 4 players that could gone : udrih and ely appears to left the team this summer.

the spurs want to resign vaughn and i don't know what they will do with bonner

mahinmi had an injury and he will not played the spurs summer league so it can change the FO plans
For Scola i don't know a lot of rumors : trade for a pick , stay in europe , come in SA

with all those not clear situaitons we could just say that the Spurs Fo know what they want and will act in order to fill their plans during draft day

what i mean is that it could be more roster spot available than we think and if the Spurs can have a player they like they wouldn't pass on him IMO

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Why would they replace any of the potential spots with a rookie? Aren't they trying to win a championship?

A.H 21-50
06-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Why would they replace any of the potential spots with a rookie? Aren't they trying to win a championship?

Replace Bonner , Udrih ,Vaughn and Ely for example by two rookies and two players by F.A will hurt the team ??? i really don't think so one second

I assum that this plan will give a year without a lot of minutes for the rookies but it works

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Replace Bonner , Udrih ,Vaughn and Ely for example by two rookies and two players by F.A will hurt the team ??? i really don't think so one second

I assum that this plan will give a year without a lot of minutes for the rookies but it works

The Spurs won't go with two rookie point guards.

A.H 21-50
06-25-2007, 10:46 PM

I agree i just mean that they could take two rookies in replacement of these guys but no mention to the postion.......

AFBlue
06-25-2007, 10:51 PM

Assuming that one of the two picks goes to the PG position, Beno would likely be out and Vaughn (or other veteran FA PG) would likely get the other PG spot.

Spurs could also lose Bonner to FA, but backfill him with Butler and have a rookie take Butler's spot on the IL/bench.

Ely's spot was actually Williams' spot before the deadline, and I would honestly like to see a combo forward in this spot again. Whether that combo forward is a draft pick or a summer camp guy (Melzer, etc.), I would like to see the Spurs at least add a player with that capability in this off-season. After all, is there really a need for 7 F/C?

objective
06-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Agreed.

I find it hard to believe that the Spurs paid this guy all year long to only give them his suggestions on who to give an unguaranteed contract to in the second round.

Holt will do a spittake when he realizes that he paid 'title of director' money and got nothing for it.

Rustyman
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
On talent, I think Fernandez then Belinelli. If neither are available, Splitter would make a lot of sense for them. Gasol is another, perhaps. Then again they may leave us with another head scratcher like Mahinmi in '05 (the Brazilian kid Silva whatshisname this time).

But I see a trade coming down the pike. My guess is the Spurs deal it to a team for a future 1st.

This is exactly my take on the issue. Everything the Spurs have done in the past 5+ years would indicate that they will take a foreign prospect or trade the pick. Marcus's ranking of the prospects is I think a consensus view. I'm hoping for a Barry/Beno trade so that the Spurs pickup a high/mid 2nd rounder and draft a domestic combo guard.