PDA

View Full Version : Mavs enter KG bidding

Findog
06-26-2007, 07:51 AM
http://dallasbasketball.com/newmainArticle.asp?id=170

DallasBasketball.com has learned that the Mavs have quietly laid the groundwork necessary to be bidders in the Kevin Garnett Sweepstakes, with a backup plan that could land an impact lottery-level player in Thursday’s NBA Draft.

“We know what’s going on out there,’’ Mavs president Donnie Nelson tells DB.com. “If there is a way to get something like that done, we’ll probe it.’’

From what we can gather, Dallas has done more than probe. NBA sources say Minnesota has been very clear in talks what they would require from the Mavs: A draft pick between No. 3 and No. 7 overall; a package of expiring contracts; and a future young star.

And the Mavs, we’re told, have informed the T’Wolves that “we are not scared of the money part’’ and that “we are interested.’’

Nelson would not confirm those details except to say, “A deal like this is unlikely because there are so many moving parts. It’s sexy to talk about. But that being said, we won 67 games. We were in the Finals last summer. We love our team.’’

There’s no denying that the Mavs could stand pat and remain elite. At the same time, there is so much logic (and just enough whispers) to affirm that the necessary homework is being done. For instance, some details on what we’ve learned:

* The Mavs believe they are shy in the “expiring contracts’’ department. Austin Croshere is a potential piece, as is Jerry Stackhouse. But Stack’s situation is complicated: The Mavs would prefer not to part with him. And, he’d have to agree to sign his way to a trade to Minnesota. We get strong indications that his agent would balk at that request.

DB.com's very clever David Lord tosses out a wildly creative notion: With Dallas still technically owning the rights to Keith Van Horn, can they "invent an expiring contract'' and throw him into the deal?

* There are those in the organization that visualize the acquisition of superstar Garnett happening without sacrificing Dallas’ collection of young talent. But the overriding feeling is that “we’d be awfully stripped down,’’ as one staffer put it. “It’d be Dirk and KG and a bunch of supporting guys. We’d look like LA with Kobe and KG and a bunch of guys. We might have no (quality) 1’s or 2’s or 3’s. Does that really make us better?’’

* From an X’s-and-O’s standpoint, the answer to that question seems to be, “Yes.’’ One NBA assistant tells us that “KG is like Dirk’’ in the sense that he can create for himself, so Avery Johnson’s desire for a premier and pure point guard would be lessened.

* In theory, the Mavs would be forced to part with Josh Howard and Jason Terry (and maybe Devin Harris?) if involved in a three-way deal. Part of that package would go to a lottery team in order to get a premier pick, which would be shipped to Minnesota along with the rest of the talent. We are certain the Mavs have spoken with Boston at No. 5 – but we are also told as of very late Monday night that a deal with the Celtics is “unlikely.’’

* Why? Probably because the No. 5 spot is too far down the draft to nab Florida’s Al Horford, who we have learned is the apple of the T’wolves’ eye – and the apple of the Mavs’ eye, too. Dallas sees him as the Brand/Boozer sort of power forward we’ve been clamoring for around here for years. And if a premier pick were acquired by the Mavs but then a deal with Minny not consummated, a young Brand/Boozer would be a terrific consolation prize for Dallas.

* Horford, however, will not get past Atlanta at No. 3, the Mavs believe. Therefore, we assume Dallas is in conversation with the Hawks. Meanwhile, the Mavs think highly of Chinese 7-footer Yi Jianlian. (Who, by the way, is more known by Del Harris than by another other coach on the planet.) And they do not think highly (in terms of his being a top-five guy) of Florida’s Joakim Noah. (“His hustle makes him appear to be more talented than he is,’’ says one voice. “You’d love to have him. But he’s not a difference-maker.’’) So you might be able to laugh off the rumor of Jason Terry being swapped for Noah.

* Put another way: As a Mavs staffer tells us, “We can’t just create a top-seven pick out of mid-air.’’ And in a related issue: Can Mavs rival Phoenix create something like this out of mid-air? Well, yeah. With two No. 1 picks this year and Atlanta’s No. 1 next year, the ammunition seems easier for the Suns to load up.

* One more thing about draft order (and while it might not necessarily be Mavs-related, you still get to hear it here first: Sources with knowledge of the thoughts of a variety of NBA teams swear Yi won’t get past Milwaukee at No. 6. And if Don Nelson has his way, the Warriors make a leap from No. 18 and Nellie gets himself another unique foreign talent.

* Without a doubt, the Mavs have expressed to Minnesota that they believe they can top LA’s offer of Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom. “A flimsy offer,’’ one source scoffs. Dallas knows it is more likely it’ll have to pattern its proposal after the Boston-Minnesota deal that would’ve happened had KG not vetoed the swap: Garnett to the Celtics for young forward Al Jefferson, a lottery pick, and Theo Ratliff and his expiring contract. Dallas has enough talent to handle the Jefferson-like part. But how to get a lotto pick? How to add up to Ratliff numbers? How to throw in enough other pieces to satisfy what will certainly be Minnesota’s desire to dump into the deal overpaid players like Troy Hudson?

“Mark this down,’’ says a source. “You want in on this, you’re going to be taking on some of Minnesota’s bad contracts.’’

* Maybe that what the Mavs meant when they expressed to Minnesota that they don’t care about “the money part.’’ Or maybe it’s a message to not worry about waiting until after the draft to pull the trigger. On the surface, it would seem the Mavs should hope Minnesota waits until draft night and beyond to do anything because as time goes on, a commodity like Howard becomes a “base-year’’ player (after June 30) and therefore is more financially “filling’’ when it comes to trades. Our David Lord has pieced together a workable idea: Diop, Howard, Terry, Croshere and a No. 1 for KG and change. That can happen by mid-July.

But our impression is that Mavs owner Mark Cuban is willing to examine the right deal NOW as well.

* Using very round numbers here, understand that doing Howard-for-Garnett, one-for-one, leaves the Mavs about $17.5 shy of being legal. (J-Ho is worth $1.67 mil under the cap right now; after June 30 the number that Minny would count him for moves to $8.67 mil, but the Mavs can only take back $4.5 mil. See? It’s complicated.) Add JET, Erick Dampier and a pick and you get pretty close. Or try the Croshere/Van Horn idea as you search for whether Minny would rather have players like Terry and Damp or eventually cap room from "non-players'' Cro and KVH. ... Again. … lots of “moving parts.’’

* As one team exec puts it, “By the time real offers hit the table, the asking price is going to be outrageous. That’s the No. 1 reason I think nothing will happen: Minnesota’s going to end up wanting too much.’’

* Oh, and there’s this: One NBA staffer suggests to us that Minnesota isn’t enamored with the idea of getting Jason Terry. And apparently plenty of teams aren’t in love with the idea of acquiring Erick Dampier.

* We hate to even acknowledge the Chicago Tribune’s KG-to-Dallas angle, but we must: No, Dallas is NOT talking about getting Garnett by dumping Dirk Nowitzki. Dopes.

* It should be noted: The Mavs have no desire to lose Howard. And they still believe in Harris’ future. Terry, however, is clearly viewed as valued-but-expendable. One Mavs staffer says, “I think it’s a tough call. Jason’s a leader. He’s a chemistry guy. He’s important.’’ But, adds an NBA exec who has apparently been involved in phone conversations: “I think Avery will move him if he can.’’

* Kevin Garnett’s money comes up often. He’s got a trade kicker in his contract (we believe it's $3 million) though that could conceivably be waived. Still, the Mavs have in their minds thought of having to budget about $25 million a year for him. A 12-year vet, KG is due to make $22 mil this season and $23 mil next season, the final year of his existing deal. Oh, and Dallas can expect to be asked to give him an extension, too.

“Mark Cuban has never been scared of making the big move,’’ says one source.

And they don’t get much bigger – or much more complicated, or much more sexy – than this.

td4mvp3
06-26-2007, 08:00 AM
this is starting to sound like one of those summer rituals, the fourth of july fireworks, the string of 100-plus degree heat in texas, the rumors of kg departing minnesota ...

Findog
06-26-2007, 08:08 AM
And I bet nothing happens.

slacker77
06-26-2007, 08:17 AM
"we are not scared of the money part"..must be nice

Findog
06-26-2007, 08:19 AM
"we are not scared of the money part"..must be nice

You can't buy a ring. Still, as long as Cuban is willing to pay the luxury tax, we'll have a chance.

monosylab1k
06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Mike Fisher article = no chance in hell of it happening, and he probably fabricated the entire story.

Findog
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Mike Fisher article = no chance in hell of it happening, and he probably fabricated the entire story.

No, dallasbasketball.com is funded by Cuban and he pays Fisher to write for the site. That's why the site has a such a pro-Cuban slant. I'm not saying the Mavericks are going to wind up with Garnett, but generally speaking, what Fisher writes in that forum I take to be a somewhat accurate divining of what the Mavs' braintrust is thinking. If Fisher writes on db.com that the Mavs see Terry as a valued but expendable asset while Dirk is untouchable, I take that as true.

monosylab1k
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm more interested in the Al Horford talk than trading away all our assets for KG.

Atlanta would probably demand Devin Harris and others? What would we be willing to part with for the #3?

dallaskd
06-26-2007, 09:07 AM
it aint happening.

Findog
06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm more interested in the Al Horford talk than trading away all our assets for KG.

Atlanta would probably demand Devin Harris and others? What would we be willing to part with for the #3?

I give them Devin Harris, Mo Ager and next year's #1. Do we have a pick in next year's first round? If they insist on Diop in place of Ager, fuck I dunno. That's three players for Horford. Might be worth doing though.

Diop is going to be on the summer-league team to work on his post moves.

Findog
06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
One thing I don't do is Howard, Terry, Diop, Croshere and a #1 for KG. They'd better be throwing Ricky Davis in that deal too. Croshere and the #1 I don't care about, they can have those, but Howard, Terry AND Diop is too much. They can have Terry or Diop but not both. There's no way they're passing on that package for Bynum, Odom and a #1. Some of what's being reported is pure garbage.

DDS4
06-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Gee, the Mavs don't want to give up their nucleus of Dirk, J Ho, and Devin Harris, but they want KG? Good luck.

The Wolves aren't gonna give up KG for the Mavs' table scraps.

Findog
06-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Gee, the Mavs don't want to give up their nucleus of Dirk, J Ho, and Devin Harris, but they want KG? Good luck.

The Wolves aren't gonna give up KG for the Mavs' table scraps.

No, the Mavs know very well J-Ho or Dirk is gonna be a part of any package for KG. But how much is too much to give up for him? I don't want to gut this team so it's KG, Dirk and 10 scrubs.

td4mvp3
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
No, the Mavs know very well J-Ho or Dirk is gonna be a part of any package for KG. But how much is too much to give up for him? I don't want to gut this team so it's KG, Dirk and 10 scrubs.
what's more, what would it accomplish to keep dirk and kg on the same team? they play the same position and have shown themselves incapable of playing center. so the starting line up would be lakers-esque with dirk and then, what, toronto-esqu with kg?

Findog
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
what's more, what would it accomplish to keep dirk and kg on the same team? they play the same position and have shown themselves incapable of playing center. so the starting line up would be lakers-esque with dirk and then, what, toronto-esqu with kg?

To me, Dirk and salary filler for KG and salary filler is a lateral move. KG is a better rebounder and interior defender, but offensively he's not the matchup nightmare that Dirk is. And Minnesota is asking too much for KG. It's not worth it to give up Josh, Terry, Diop, a top ten pick (which would probably cost Devin Harris) and Croshere in a S-n-T. Four guys, including three young members of our core, for KG.

Honestly, I would love to part with anybody on our roster/future first rounders/expiring contracts besides Dirk/J-Ho for Al Horford. Garnett's got a trade kicker and is going to eat up $25 million in salary next year for a new team. Horford would be on a rookie contract and would contribute immediately. Supposedly he's not slipping past Atlanta or Memphis, and I can't imagine the Hawks would take a 30-yr old decent but not great combo guard for that pick. It would probably take Harris, and expiring contract and another asset to get the #3 but I'd rather do that than take on Garnett's huge contract.

If I were to go after KG, I understand such a deal would be centered around Josh, and as much as I love him, KG right now is better. But I'm not going to gut this team to get him. Dirk is 29, Josh is 26, we are set at the forward spots for the next 6 years. You never say never and if you get a certain offer that's a slam dunk, you make a deal, but in my mind it would take a lot to break up Dirk and Josh. Dirk's going to be in his prime for the next three years and Josh just keeps getting better.

Bear Grylls
06-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I give them Devin Harris, Mo Ager and next year's #1. Do we have a pick in next year's first round?

Im pretty sure the Mavs cannot trade their own 1st rounder next year.

mFFL03
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
have terry, dampier, 2 of our round 2 picks this year.......works out perfectly.....

oh and make sure that KG wants to do a contract extension before hand....

otherwise he's just here for a year, and then he goes on the market...in that case, it wouldn't be worth it....

bottom line, keep harris, keep howard, keep dirk, KEEP DIOP, and get Garnett

Findog
06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
have terry, dampier, 2 of our round 2 picks this year.......works out perfectly.....

oh and make sure that KG wants to do a contract extension before hand....

otherwise he's just here for a year, and then he goes on the market...in that case, it wouldn't be worth it....

bottom line, keep harris, keep howard, keep dirk, KEEP DIOP, and get Garnett

Can't get Garnett without Howard. Simple as that.

Roxsfan
06-26-2007, 02:46 PM
straight up Dirk for KG?

Findog
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
straight up Dirk for KG?

Intrigues me, but I think that's a lateral move. Doesn't get us closer.

Roxsfan
06-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Intrigues me, but I think that's a lateral move. Doesn't get us closer.

Since Dirk (and nash) were originally Don Nelson's passion and not Mark Cuban's, why wouldn't Cuban pull the trigger on this? You give up 2 yrs in age, but you get a better/more agressive all around player/game changer imo. Both would get a fresh start and though the pressure to produce immediately would be there, you would be (imo) invigorated at the new opportunity..especially KG....Dirk, may feel screwed...but some say he his screwed in Dallas too

Is it that Minnesota wouldn't do that deal?

NBA Rumors How about Garnett for Nowitzki?
Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:58 am EDT

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki soon will be named the league's MVP, but the general sentiment in Dallas is he has to go.

Would the Minnesota Timberwolves now swap Kevin Garnett for Nowitzki? That would give Dallas the tough guy they feel they need after shriveling up for Golden State, and it would give the Timberwolves a star and a good guy.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Findog
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Since Dirk (and nash) were originally Don Nelson's passion and not Mark Cuban's, why wouldn't Cuban pull the trigger on this?

Garnett's a better rebounder and interior defender, but Dirk is more of a matchup nightmare on the offensive end. It's arguable, but I think Dirk is slightly better than Garnett. To make a deal like this, it has to be a slam dunk, not a gamble. Dirk has 8 series win and a Finals appearance under his belt, Garnett has been to the Conference Finals once.

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki soon will be named the league's MVP, but the general sentiment in Dallas is he has to go.

I wonder where Sam Smith got that idea from.

monosylab1k
06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
I wonder where Sam Smith got that idea from.

He's Sam Smith. He doesn't need to get proof of anything to put it in print.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2007, 06:37 PM
The mavericks are still a basketball team?!?!?????

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Cry Havoc
06-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Hawks were lined up to take Conley from OSU with the 3rd pic?

monosylab1k
06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Hawks were lined up to take Conley from OSU with the 3rd pic?

They've changed their tune on that. Now they want Horford at 3 and Acie Law at 11. Or so they say, I guess we won't know for sure until Thursday night.

2pac
06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Good luck Dallas. Howard is BYC. That should make things real easy. Of course the idiots writing about the Mavs don't understand that. It is a lot to learn when basketball has only existed for 5 years in Dallas.

Findog
06-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Good luck Dallas. Howard is BYC. That should make things real easy. Of course the idiots writing about the Mavs don't understand that. It is a lot to learn when basketball has only existed for 5 years in Dallas.

RTA, they covered your angle:

* Maybe that what the Mavs meant when they expressed to Minnesota that they don’t care about “the money part.’’ Or maybe it’s a message to not worry about waiting until after the draft to pull the trigger. On the surface, it would seem the Mavs should hope Minnesota waits until draft night and beyond to do anything because as time goes on, a commodity like Howard becomes a “base-year’’ player (after June 30) and therefore is more financially “filling’’ when it comes to trades. Our David Lord has pieced together a workable idea: Diop, Howard, Terry, Croshere and a No. 1 for KG and change. That can happen by mid-July.

Personally, if it's going to take 3 or 4 guys from our core to get KG and his $25 million cap figure for next year, no thanks.

johngateswhiteley
06-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Our David Lord has pieced together a workable idea: Diop, Howard, Terry, Croshere and a No. 1 for KG and change. That can happen by mid-July.

i don't think that makes dallas better, in fact, i think it makes them worse. Terry and Howard play fired up ball against us and Diop plays decent defense at times.

...i'm all for dallas making that trade.

Findog
06-27-2007, 01:34 AM
i don't think that makes dallas better, in fact, i think it makes them worse. Terry and Howard play fired up ball against us and Diop plays decent defense at times.

...i'm all for dallas making that trade.

and the #1 pick has to be in the top 10 and can only be acquired by moving up in the draft (i.e. Devin Harris). so to sum up: Terry, Harris, Diop, Howard for KG at $25 million cap figure after his trade kicker. No thanks. I pray Donnie Nelson isn't that dumb. I don't take as gospel anything these front office guys say publicly this time of the year anyway. It might just be a head-fake to get the Lakers or Suns to up their offer if they think they're actually competing with Dallas to get him.

spursfan09
06-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Doesn't matter, KG has been Tim Duncan's bitch for years now.