PDA

View Full Version : can any1 hook me up w/ david robinson's 71 pt. game on dvd?

rowancv
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
my email is [email protected]

i asked previously but got limited answers, and the one person who DID have it hasn't responded to any of my messages.. thanks guys.

- rowan

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
It wasn't on TV. You'd have more luck on a Clippers forum.

MajorMike
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
That has always been one of the major bitches about that game. No one televised it. The only video clips of it was the local news highlights.

conqueso
06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
That has always been one of the major bitches about that game. No one televised it. The only video clips of it was the local news highlights.

I've mentioned this before in the various threads that pop-up about this, but, even though the Clippers royally sucked at the time, this is the MODERN ERA, where EVERY game is televised either locally, nationally, or on PPV. This isn't the 60s, where no one thought to bring a camera to some random game in Hershey or whatever. At the very least, the NBA privately televises and archives ALL games played (ostensibly for the purposes of referee training but probably also for liability reasons), so even if for some reason a professional franchise in the NBA decided that they just didn't want to make any money off of televising games for an entire season just because that would make too much sense, the NBA has its own personal copy sitting on a shelf somewhere. Plus, and this is just basic logic here, if there was video to actually edit and splice into highlights for the local news, that means at least someone had a fully copy of the game at one point...they didn't just say "Oh shit, it looks like David's going to dunk on this play, let's turn the camera on to get a clip!" So while copies may be hard to find, it's not like they don't exist.

rowancv
06-26-2007, 03:10 PM
agreed.. i know people do have it, but haven't gotten in touch w/ someone who was willing to share. or sell.. so i'm hoping one of the hundreds of spurs fans here might -=o\

MajorMike
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
I've mentioned this before in the various threads that pop-up about this, but, even though the Clippers royally sucked at the time, this is the MODERN ERA, where EVERY game is televised either locally, nationally, or on PPV. This isn't the 60s, where no one thought to bring a camera to some random game in Hershey or whatever. At the very least, the NBA privately televises and archives ALL games played (ostensibly for the purposes of referee training but probably also for liability reasons), so even if for some reason a professional franchise in the NBA decided that they just didn't want to make any money off of televising games for an entire season just because that would make too much sense, the NBA has its own personal copy sitting on a shelf somewhere. Plus, and this is just basic logic here, if there was video to actually edit and splice into highlights for the local news, that means at least someone had a fully copy of the game at one point...they didn't just say "Oh shit, it looks like David's going to dunk on this play, let's turn the camera on to get a clip!" So while copies may be hard to find, it's not like they don't exist.

Ok, great. Next time Don is on the ticket, why don't you call and ask him, so he can explain for the 1,000th time about how disappointed everyone in SA was that this game was not televised and there are no game copies of it.

And furthermore, Mr. Basic Logic, I'm sure that every time someone has a camera at a game, they are filming the entire game and not just there to get random highlights.

conqueso
06-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Ok, great. Next time Don is on the ticket, why don't you call and ask him, so he can explain for the 1,000th time about how disappointed everyone in SA was that this game was not televised and there are no game copies of it.

And furthermore, Mr. Basic Logic, I'm sure that every time someone has a camera at a game, they are filming the entire game and not just there to get random highlights.

Yes, it's true, the game was not televised in SA. And Don is kinda an idiot, so it wouldn't surprise me that he wasn't resourceful enough to track down a copy through some channels.

But seriously, do you honestly think that the Clippers FO just said to themselves, "You know, we suck so bad that it would be wrong for us to record/broadcast our regular season home games this year. We don't need the money from a television contract. And we only average about 11K people per game, so clearly NO ONE wants to see Clippers games."

Does that make sense to you?

That's not definitive proof, but when the INDUSTRY STANDARD is to record and broadcast every home game, I think the people claiming that it wasn't broadcast or recorded have the burden of proof.

This wasn't the Dark Ages of the NBA, where Finals games were tape-delayed and there weren't any cameras even available to record Wilt averarge 50 per night. This was 1994. That being said, it's still possible that there aren't any extant full recordings since all we've ever seen is the baseline footage, but I suspect, based on sound reasoning, that at least that footage is lying around somewhere in complete form. After all, who records a 71 point game, splices out 4 or 5 highlights, and leaves the rest on the editing room floor?

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 07:01 PM
I bet you if Shaq had scored 71 points in LA that night, the game would be available in some form.

MajorMike
06-26-2007, 07:32 PM
But seriously, do you honestly think that the Clippers FO just said to themselves, "You know, we suck so bad that it would be wrong for us to record/broadcast our regular season home games this year. We don't need the money from a television contract. And we only average about 11K people per game, so clearly NO ONE wants to see Clippers games."

Does that make sense to you?

But seriously, do you honestly think that the Spurs FO just said to themselves, "You know, we suck so bad that it would be wrong for us to record/broadcast our regular season home games this year. We don't need the money from a television contract. And we only average about 11K people per game, so clearly NO ONE wants to see Spurs games."

Oh wait, the Spurs didn't televise it. Why is it so hard for you to believe that the Clipps didn't want to televise it anymore than the Spurs did?

Kori Ellis
06-26-2007, 07:41 PM
agreed.. i know people do have it, but haven't gotten in touch w/ someone who was willing to share. or sell.. so i'm hoping one of the hundreds of spurs fans here might -=o\

Anyone who told you they have the whole game is probably lying.

It doesn't really exist.

There's only a few clips of it in existence.

I know conqueso doesn't believe it but the story is that it wasn't televised, and there was some game footage shot by the Clippers but most of that was taped over or destroyed. That's why you only have seen a few clips.

TradeManu4Kobe
06-26-2007, 07:53 PM
a few clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2spfOIb-uwQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUn7BvZ-4ZQ

conqueso
06-26-2007, 08:21 PM
But seriously, do you honestly think that the Spurs FO just said to themselves, "You know, we suck so bad that it would be wrong for us to record/broadcast our regular season home games this year. We don't need the money from a television contract. And we only average about 11K people per game, so clearly NO ONE wants to see Spurs games."

Oh wait, the Spurs didn't televise it. Why is it so hard for you to believe that the Clipps didn't want to televise it anymore than the Spurs did?

Well, back in the day, not every single Spurs ROAD game was televised. But I've never in my entire Spurs watching life heard of a Spurs HOME game that wasn't televised locally, even if it was on PPV. Totally different story for home games broadcast locally by the home team.

rowancv
06-26-2007, 08:23 PM
thanks for the reply guys.. i was going by someone on this forum that said he had a copy, but in really really bad quality.. but i believed it was a copy nonetheless. but if it wasn't televised, you're right, i wouldn't know how a copy (bad quality or not) would have been produced.. -=o\ inside people spreading copies?? ...the search continues....

conqueso
06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
This has seriously aroused my curiosity, so I think I'll register on a Clippers board and ask some of the old-timers if they ever watched this game on TV. While not definitive, it could indicate whether or not we should be feverishly searching. At the very least, I can find out whether it was standard procedure to NOT televise home games, which I find ridiculously absurd, even for a team as sucky as the Clippers were back then.

SANANTOJAMES
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
go on youtube

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Hmmm so mookie2001 was telling an all out lie when he said he watched this game with his dad as a young san antonian boy.

FromWayDowntown
06-26-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure that its a safe assumption to believe that every home game for every team in the league was broadcast in 1993-94. conqueso is right that Spurs home games were generally televised at least on PPV, but I'm not sure that the same is true for every team in the NBA at that time. For crissakes, in 1995, there were Spurs home playoff games that were available in SA only by PPV. Until the Spurs reached the WCF, I'm pretty sure that the home playoff games available on broadcast television were weekend games broadcast by NBC. I have a vivid recollection of sitting in my kitchen listening to WOAI as my sole source for knowing what was going on with games like Game 5 of the 1995 WCSF against LA. I also know that I wasn't able to watch Game 2 of the 1995 WCF in SA without going the PPV route because there were local blackouts until Game 3.

Given how difficult it was for Spurs fans in San Antonio to see home PLAYOFF games around that time, it's not surprising to me at all that Clippers games would have gone on without any local broadcasts. That Clippers team was pretty bad and I'm not sure that even a PPV broadcast would have provided sufficient revenue to cover the costs of airing such a broadcast.

Conqueso'sWorstEnemy
08-01-2010, 12:06 AM
jesus, this offseason is getting boring very quickly

so.........BUMP!

and as much as I hate him, I think conqueso deserves some props for calling this one pretty much spot on.

David Robinson's 71-point Game (video) (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134557)

Nathan89
08-01-2010, 12:24 AM
jesus, this offseason is getting boring very quickly

so.........BUMP!

and as much as I hate him, I think conqueso deserves some props for calling this one pretty much spot on.

David Robinson's 71-point Game (video) (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134557)

Hey, did you forget your password and just now remembered it on the sh*t*er.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Wow that was bad ass how the Clippers crowd was getting into it and cheering David on.

Conqueso'sWorstEnemy
08-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Hey, did you forget your password and just now remembered it on the sh*t*er.

No, it's just that with all the gray posters running around mucking up the board (ahem), it's really not worth contributing anymore. Lurking is much more...palatable.

gospursgojas
08-01-2010, 03:16 AM
spursdotcom posted the most comprehensive video of that game to date

Bender
08-01-2010, 10:35 AM
that spursdotcom thread on the 71-pt game reminded me about whottt...

whatever happened to him anyway?

Obstructed_View
08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow that was bad ass how the Clippers crowd was getting into it and cheering David on.

The Clippers players were getting into it and cheering David on.

ohmwrecker
08-01-2010, 06:04 PM
"His first dunk of the game, Shaquille O'Neal fans!"