PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill to San Antonio finally?

twilo73
06-26-2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

ploto
06-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Especially if Finley opts out.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
That would be the only way I'd want him here, though I'd rather replace a fossil with a young guy.

mardigan
06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
SPURRED TO SAN ANTONIO: There are those in the Raptors organization who think they will lose out on Grant Hill not to Detroit or Phoenix but to San Antonio.

The Spurs may be willing to give Hill a starting role – bringing Mike Finley and Manu Ginobili off the bench – and Hill would get a chance to finally play alongside Tim Duncan, seven years after they were supposed to hook up in Orlando.

I know the Raptors are going to put on a full-court press but it might not be enough.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
The Spurs may be willing to give Hill a starting role – bringing Mike Finley and Manu Ginobili off the bench

:lol Manu, Finley, Barry, White .. that's a lot of wings off the bench.

As mentioned, I would think Hill might be here only if Finley and/or Barry were gone.

spursreport
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss NO! God damnit we dont need any more senior citizens.

AnkleBreaker21
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
omg please no more has been oldies

florige
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM

As mentioned, I would think Hill might be here only if Finley and/or Barry were gone.

Anyword on Horry yet. Whether we re-sign him or not?

naico
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1814580#post1814580 (http://) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 02:08 PM
There are worse things than Grant Hill as your 11th man.

florige
06-26-2007, 02:08 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1814580#post1814580 (http://) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Nothing is coming up smartass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Seems like a good fit. The Spurs would finally get another scorer on this team that can pressure the D and get to the line. He's not the best shooter, but I'd say the Spurs should go after him if Finley does opt out.

naico
06-26-2007, 02:27 PM
its already been put on the free agent thread...which is obviously useless apparently..

naico
06-26-2007, 02:29 PM
nywayz i would definitly want him on the team..He's got something to proove on a championship team and once here he'll be hungry as hell

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd like him to be non-critical, replacing a similar non-critical player, like Barry.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Me too. If for some reason Barry is gone, bring him in. If not we have enough geriatrics.

ducks
06-26-2007, 02:32 PM
he better then barry

SenorSpur
06-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Precisely!

Even though the FA period starts on 7/1, I wonder if the Spurs would allow this to drive their decision as to whether they draft a young wing player.

Grant Hill may a long three man, but he's an old three man.

jag
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Finley > Hill at this point

and he knows his role

plus Grant hill is kind of a douche bag

T Park
06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Grant Hill is a total class guy. Would be a typical Spur player, get out of here with that douche bag stuff.

Id take Grant Hill on one foot over Brent Barry on two any day of the week...

BigBeezie
06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Meh, I don't really like Grant Hill's game. IMHO, Barry and Finley will do more to spread the floor for Timmy.

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
It's Finley or Hill and I hope it's Fin

ArgSpursFan
06-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Hill wont come to the spurs to play as a wing,He is already old,and slow for that.If he sings with the spurs ,it will be to play the buckup PG mostly for the Playoffs.Book it,He´s done it before with the Pistons and Magics.

SenorSpur
06-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Meh, I don't really like Grant Hill's game. IMHO, Barry and Finley will do more to spread the floor for Timmy.

Say whatever about Hill (injuries and all), but this guy is still a more well-rounded and versatile player than Finley has ever been.

He can easily fill a stat sheet in a variety of ways. Aside from basic scoring, he rebounds, assists, steals, blocks.

Finley may be a better standstill, pure shooter, but that's all he does.

ImpartialObserver
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Please don't let this happen. I don't want to ever have to root for the Spurs. Don't make me talk myself into saying things like a 69-65 game was played "the right way" and wasn't boring as long as we won.

T Park
06-26-2007, 03:00 PM
:lol @ the bozo saying "Barry > Hill"

MoSpur
06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I would not be excited about Hill coming to S.A. I think he still has health issues.

coopdogg3
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Please don't let this happen. I don't want to ever have to root for the Spurs. Don't make me talk myself into saying things like a 69-65 game was played "the right way" and wasn't boring as long as we won.

How does adding an offensive weapon, but a defensive liability, like Hill create a lower scoring game?

T Park
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
BTW, I noticed this is on Hoopshype.

So, Im officially depressed that Grant Hill will more than likely NOT come to SA.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Saying Hill has "health issues" is an understatement....

BUT, to say that he's too old or too slow to make a difference is just flat-out wrong. Hill played 65 games last year, averaging 30MPG, 14PPG, 3RPG, 2APG on 51% shooting...and again, what's important is HOW he did it....by slashing to the basket and creating contact, which the other Spurs don't do enough of.

I think he's a guy you sign for two years, with the second year being a team option or not fully guaranteed. Obviously the Spurs won't be able to offer the biggest role (likely Phoenix)....but if he thought the Spurs were the best place to come, I could definitely see it.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
BTW, I noticed this is on Hoopshype.

So, Im officially depressed that Grant Hill will more than likely NOT come to SA.Hoopshype <> Hoopsworld

The actually story linked from hoopshype is from the Toronto Star.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 03:22 PM
He's not an outside threat. He can't hit threes. But the rest of his stats are good and he played very well against Detroit when the rest of Orlando sucked in the playoffs. He's also a decent rebounder.

If he replaces Barry - yes. If he replaces Finley - no.

ArgSpursFan
06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
He's not an outside threat. He can't hit threes. But the rest of his stats are good and he played very well against Detroit when the rest of Orlando sucked in the playoffs. He's also a decent rebounder.

If he replaces Barry - yes. If he replaces Finley - no.

I like him in the point,he does that real good.And he has a great mid range shot.
If he plays the wings-not so sure
If He plays the Buckup PG-yes.

td4mvp21
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
How does this help us?

coachmac87
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
this will not happen unless finley opts out..and only that....spurs cant afford to lose two of their best shooters(barry/finley) for grant hill..dont want to see finley to leave..but unless spurs get rid of barry i wouldnt mind swapping barry for hill...

ArgSpursFan
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
How does this help us?

as a Buckup PG.It makes sense.

romain.star
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
hill for barry means back to back

spurscenter
06-26-2007, 03:38 PM
I take Hill any day

ShoogarBear
06-26-2007, 03:44 PM
If Barry leaves, Hill can replace him in the "Hot Wife" category.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Question is... who wants Barry?

jag
06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Grant Hill is a total class guy. Would be a typical Spur player, get out of here with that douche bag stuff.

Id take Grant Hill on one foot over Brent Barry on two any day of the week...

I dont really like Hill's game for the spurs. He's got a high BBall IQ though, that's about it. We need a shooter from the outside to spread the floor, hill is not that guy.

and i've talked to grant hill twice, he's kind of a douche...

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-26-2007, 03:57 PM
barry can leave anytime.

I'd help him pack too

Hill right now is 10x better then Finley or Barry

Streakyshooter08
06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
The funny thing is: I talked about an hour ago with my old coach where Grant Hill might end up and I said that SA might be interested. :) When he played he put up decent numbers. If you consider the limited role he would play at the Spurs he might work out, even at his age. I'd still prefer a young 3 though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Send him in. Ship Barry out.

T Park
06-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I dont really like Hill's game for the spurs. He's got a high BBall IQ though, that's about it. We need a shooter from the outside to spread the floor, hill is not that guy.

Yeah guys that can score, rebound, and defend are just such horrible fits fo this team :rolleyes

Fabbs
06-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Doing all that from the bench while injured. :rolleyes

T_Park who will you sniff more, Hill or Finley? Sounds like you may like Hill just as much. More?

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 04:30 PM
If he could grasp Spurs basketball, especially defense, he'd be a very nice add.

T Park
06-26-2007, 04:30 PM
sniff?

Whats the matter, still pissed that I was right about Pop and Finley?

Fabbs
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
sniff?

Whats the matter, still pissed that I was right about Pop and Finley?
Oh i am thrilled that your complete guess about Finleys shooting heating up in the playoffs coincidentally came true. That he played a bit of team D, rebounded and actually made some assists made me even happier.

That Barrys league leading reg season .666 true shooting % didn't carry over saddens me, but not enough to overtake the Championship joy. Plus Barrdog did finally contribute a bit in a few playoff games, altho you'd best die before admitting that.

So who do you like more, Findawg or Grant Hill? Or are you simply equal in the sandwhich?

bigdog
06-26-2007, 04:47 PM
i want finley back. he has to decide by saturday. and barry, i wouldnt mind him being traded. he has his 2 rings now, and i would love grant hill on the team. we doo need to get younger, so we'll see what the draft brings us too

T Park
06-26-2007, 04:47 PM
So who do you like more, Findawg or Grant Hill? Or are you simply equal in the sandwhich?

I will ignore your childish comments and answer the first part.

I like Grant Hill.

Finley is a shooter, and, thats about it.

Hill can defend, drive to the hole, you can also post up Hill decently.

Hill rebounds VERY well for his position, and defends, and gets quite a bit of steals.

So if the Spurs swapped out Hill for Finley, IMO the team improves.

Fabbs
06-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I will ignore your childish comments and answer the first part.

I like Grant Hill.

Finley is a shooter, and, thats about it.

Hill can defend, drive to the hole, you can also post up Hill decently.

Hill rebounds VERY well for his position, and defends, and gets quite a bit of steals.

So if the Spurs swapped out Hill for Finley, IMO the team improves.
Well Barry did shoot .666 for the entire season. If you find that childish, whatever.

So are you figuring in Grant Hills injury history. An on the floor Finley or Barry in the playoffs is better then an injured for the 45th time Hill.
Seems wayy too risky for me.

texasqb2
06-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I love how everyone wants to get younger......I don't, I want to have guys that can help us now (old or young) before we get to the end of Duncan's career. This is the time to win as many titles as we can.

texasqb2
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Plus I think we would rather sign a guy like Hill to a one year deal instead of a project guy that we could afford such as a Jackie Butler type to a multi year deal hoping he would work out especially when we want to save all this money for next summer.

judaspriestess
06-26-2007, 05:02 PM
well shit why don't we just sign Anfernee Hardaway?

Budkin
06-26-2007, 05:02 PM
If we dump Barry sure, but Finley should not go anywhere... he was great for us this season once he got over his shooting slump. Grant Hill is a walking DNP.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2007, 05:05 PM
When I was watching Hill doing the commentary for ESPN I was picturing him in a Spurs uniform next season for some reason. I don't know how, but I think it will happen. I had just finished a SPAM salad sandwich prior to this premonition and the SPAM is rarely wrong.

T Park
06-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I agree, Id rather have Hill over Barry.

BUT.

Youve got to find a sucker errrrr taker for Brent Barry.

Well Barry did shoot .666 for the entire season

Regular season. Shot shit in the playoffs.

UNLIKE Michael Finley who you still like to hate on child.

T Park
06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
he was great for us this season once he got over his shooting slump. Grant Hill is a walking DNP.

He might be, but he played a pretty full season last year.

AlamoSpursFan
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
well shit why don't we just sign Anfernee Hardaway?

Can't. We don't have room for Little Penny under the cap.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/AlamoSpursFan/lil2.jpg

Fabbs
06-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Grant Hill DNP: He might be, but he played a pretty full season last year.

Regular season. Shot shit in the playoffs.

UNLIKE Michael Finley who you still like to hate on child.
Grant Hill. So you want to base it on one "pretty full" season vs 5 DNPs?
What do you want for us to acknowledge Finleys playoffs? Statues, bow and worship with you, send poor Findawg money since he was so nice to come here for only 17+3 million a year? If that is your definition of "hate", yes I and many other STs *hate* Finley.
Finley had a great playoffs, best in his career by far.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Though Grant Hill averaged 5.5 rebounds in 4 games in the postseason. He only has averaged about 3 1/2 rebounds in 30 mpg in the last two regular seasons. So I wouldn't really tout him as a "good rebounder" anymore, as many people in this thread are doing. Finley and Barry would average about 3-3 1/2 each themselves in those minutes, I would guess.

Anyway, I don't want him as a starter and I'd still want another younger, capable wing if Barry/Finley are both gone. Because Hill is always just an ankle sprain away from being finished.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Who gives a fuck about Dirk and Dallas, this topic is about Grant Hill. Move along.

RC's Boss
06-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Id take Grant Hill on one foot over Brent Barry on two any day of the week...I completely agree. Maybe a lot of posters don't have league pass. But unlike most people, I'm a Grant Hill fan. he can still ball. He was always a very smart and heady player as well. And while IMO he still has the talents to be a no.2 guy, he accepts a lesser role in Orlando, so why would it change if he came here. Plus he can pass well and rebound.

Creation88
06-26-2007, 05:59 PM
he doesn't play a lick of defense.

RC's Boss
06-26-2007, 06:01 PM
he doesn't play a lick of defense.
:rolleyes Hill is an all-around player.

T Park
06-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I completely agree. Maybe a lot of posters don't have league pass. But unlike most people, I'm a Grant Hill fan. he can still ball. He was always a very smart and heady player as well. And while IMO he still has the talents to be a no.2 guy, he accepts a lesser role in Orlando, so why would it change if he came here. Plus he can pass well and rebound.

great post, I agree.

The Magic are my second favorite team so I try and follow them as close as possible, and Grant Hill last year while not being the superstud he used to, proved he can knock down that in between shot. He can make a jumper off the break. he can take it to the hole well still, and rebounds solidly for his position, defends well without a Duncan behind him.

IMO, I'd Push hard for a good 1 year deal for Hill.

RC's Boss
06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
great post, I agree.

The Magic are my second favorite team so I try and follow them as close as possible, and Grant Hill last year while not being the superstud he used to, proved he can knock down that in between shot. He can make a jumper off the break. he can take it to the hole well still, and rebounds solidly for his position, defends well without a Duncan behind him.

IMO, I'd Push hard for a good 1 year deal for Hill.
Don't forget, the injuries he's had since he came back, are the same injuries any Jo Blow can have. Ankle sprains happen to anyone and it doesn't make him a walking DNP. He and Finley can both hit mid-range shots. While ones a 3pt threat, the other's a slasher. Barry shoots 3's and can make some plays, but we have Fin, Bruce, Manu. And (maybe digging a bit here) hopefully it's a facet we'll see fom Tony. I think that's enough 3 pt threats. Hill makes plays as well IMO better than Barry. And like Fin this year, he wants to win b/c he's never done it before, which should elevate his game next May.

SsKSpurs21
06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
having old classy guys hungry for a ring is what seems to propel the spurs into actually trying for a ring. happened in 03 with steve smith, ferry, and kevin willis. happened in 05 with massenberg, and glen robinson, and happened this year with finley.

it seems like when there are old guys trying for their first ring, the team rallies around that as motivation.

i say bring in grant hill. hes a loveable classy guy and he can sucker the team into feeling sorry for him and push hard for a repeat!

Borosai
06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I still like Hill a lot. He's old, but he has a better all-around game than Finley or Barry at this point. Besides, like someone else mentioned, he could play point-forward. He's smart and attacks the basket. Now, if he takes

James White!

's minutes, then no thanks.

Tek_XX
06-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I hope Finley stays, maybe he'll finally be completly comfortable in his role next year. Has anyone seen Grant Hill play lately, does he have anything left?

Darkwaters
06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
James White!

jag
06-26-2007, 06:46 PM
He might be, but he played a pretty full season last year.

It's usually safe to assume that hill will play all 82. :rolleyes

L.I.T
06-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Last year Hill played 30.8 minutes per game. If he came to San Antonio he'd probably be looking at someone closer to 20-25 minutes per. Those extra minutes would probably translate to a couple of games during the season.

Also, Popovich is pretty good at regulating the minutes of his veterans; keeping them sharp but well-rested throughout the regular season. Last year Hill was in a situation where he was the only veteran and stabilizing influence on the team. In San Antonio, he'd have much less heavy lifting to do.

You can do much worse than Hill as a fourth or fifth option.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 06:49 PM
James White!
!

jag
06-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Last year Hill played 30.8 minutes per game. If he came to San Antonio he'd probably be looking at someone closer to 20-25 minutes per. Those extra minutes would probably translate to a couple of games during the season.

Also, Popovich is pretty good at regulating the minutes of his veterans; keeping them sharp but well-rested throughout the regular season. Last year Hill was in a situation where he was the only veteran and stabilizing influence on the team. In San Antonio, he'd have much less heavy lifting to do.

You can do much worse than Hill as a fourth or fifth option.

We could do a hell of a lot worse than hill, but you forget that hill was the highest paid player on the Orlando roster...not exactly sure what he's gonna want to play with the spurs.

L.I.T
06-26-2007, 06:56 PM
We could do a hell of a lot worse than hill, but you forget that hill was the highest paid player on the Orlando roster...not exactly sure what he's gonna want to play with the spurs.

I'm all for playing the Walton card; so Mr. Injury-prone, washed-up All-Star how would you like to 20 minutes a game and go out on top with a championship?

But yes, it would be interesting to see what he'll be asking for to jump ship. Is he any better than a 4 mil player at this juncture of his career?

jag
06-26-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm all for playing the Walton card; so Mr. Injury-prone, washed-up All-Star how would you like to 20 minutes a game and go out on top with a championship?

But yes, it would be interesting to see what he'll be asking for to jump ship. Is he any better than a 4 mil player at this juncture of his career?

He's no more than what we're paying finley, barry...

exstatic
06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Hill doesn't help us. As Kori astutely pointed out, his rebounding has gone off a cliff to the point that it's only fractionally better than Bowen's. In addition, he can't shoot the 3 ball, never has and never will. I don't care if he can operate in the post, because that just draws his defender to Tim. If he goes outside, his defender sags in on Tim. I'd rather play Elson at the 3. He's a better jump shooter and rebounder than Hill at this point, and is laterally quicker on D.

jag
06-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Hill doesn't help us. As Kori astutely pointed out, his rebounding has gone off a cliff to the point that it's only fractionally better than Bowen's. In addition, he can't shoot the 3 ball. I don't care if he can operate in the post, because that just draws his defender to Tim. If he goes outside, his defender sags in on Tim. I'd rather play Elson at the 3. He's a better jump shooter and rebounder than Hill at this point, and is laterally quicker on D.

This is what i've been saying all along, as far as the spurs go, he's no better than finley. I dont know where you guys come up with him being a good rebounder and defender. Everyone know's he's old and extremely injury prone, and yet people still wanna swing from his nuts...

WalterBenitez
06-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Grant Hill to SA ... is he on vacation?

Fabbs
06-26-2007, 08:29 PM
This is what i've been saying all along, as far as the spurs go, he's no better than finley. I dont know where you guys come up with him being a good rebounder and defender. Everyone know's he's old and extremely injury prone, and yet people still wanna swing from his nuts... Another season of swinging? Well if it results in a championship I'll tolerate it but :elephant
Surely a better fit can be enticed to SA. Or will Findawg decide he can feed his families on 20 a year and decide to stay put? That would render the Grant Hill to SA moot, right?

T Park
06-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I'd rather play Elson at the 3. He's a better jump shooter and rebounder than Hill at this point, and is laterally quicker on D.

Elson.

Francisco Elson?

You people have lost your fucking minds.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Hill to the Spurs is a no-brainer if Finley opts out. Barry can replace Fin as the 3pt threat, and Hill adds another dimension to the Spurs role players with his slashing/posting ability.

Why are so many people against a guy that prefers to slash in the lane and draw contact, versus a guy that can only shoot?

A good team has one or the other, but a great team is one that has the ability to hit the outside shot, AS WELL AS create opportunities when the shots aren't falling.

Hill is a scorer, plain and simple....Spurs could use a guy like that.

texasqb2
06-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Bring on Hill for 1 year! Summer of 2008 is gonna be one for the ages

Darkwaters
06-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I wonder if the Spurs interest in Hill is an indication of Finley's lack of interest in SA?

T Park
06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Or they might have a sucker err trade partner for Barry.

E20
06-26-2007, 09:38 PM
One thing Grant Hill should do is NOT return to sportcasting/analyst. He's down right BAAAAAAAAAD.

Russ
06-26-2007, 10:14 PM
KLAC's Joe McDonnell (an unreliable source) in LA said that Grant Hill's "confidants" say he will go to Phoenix if he leaves Orlando. Don't know how informed this opinion is, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread.

Darkwaters
06-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Or they might have a sucker err trade partner for Barry.

The person taking Barry back in a trade isn't a sucker at all. Barry has a nice sized expiring contract that can either be used to dump a big contract now or used in reverse to pick up somebody else's cast off at the deadline. Not to mention that Barry isn't a complete stiff on the court.

Duncanoypi
06-26-2007, 10:40 PM
bring Hill...and then have a slogan.."this one's for Hill"

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-26-2007, 10:48 PM
omg please no more has been oldies

:wtf

Those "has been oldies" you describe have just led us to a championship!?

I agree that we need to get younger, but replacing Barry with Hill while some of the youth learn the system (you know Pop won't play guys until they know the system, and I bet Hill picks it up quickly like Finley did) is a good result.

BTW, love your sig. :lol

SenorSpur
06-26-2007, 10:53 PM
KLAC's Joe McDonnell (an unreliable source) in LA said that Grant Hill's "confidants" say he will go to Phoenix if he leaves Orlando. Don't know how informed this opinion is, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread.

I hope so. I very much want the Spurs to move on past the annual AARP eligibles and finally add a couple of young, athletes that can begin contributing and that can provide depth.

El_Mago
06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I rather White develop.

I don't want Grant Hill taking away minutes from a player like White who has actually earned the opportunity to gain some minutes next season.

White is full of potential and I am more confident in his abilities to do well in the Spurs system than Hill's.

texasqb2
06-26-2007, 11:20 PM
I wonder if the Spurs interest in Hill is an indication of Finley's lack of interest in SA?

I think at this point all we know is that Hill has interest in the Spurs not vice versa.....at least yet