PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Wallace Officially Opts Out

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Saw this just a minute ago. The number that struck me was $10M/year. If it's true, he's definitely priced out of the Spurs range for even a S&T.

Forward set to become unrestricted free agent
Associated Press

Updated: June 26, 2007, 3:15 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace will become an unrestricted free agent Sunday after deciding not to extend his contract for another season.

Gerald Wallace

Forward
Charlotte Bobcats

2007 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
72 18.1 7.2 2.6 .502 .691

Wallace's agent, Rob Pelinka, said Tuesday that Wallace -- who led Charlotte in scoring last season at 18.1 points a game -- will explore all options. Wallace, who made just over $5.5 million last season, will likely command at least $10 million a season under a new contract that could run as long as six years.
Vice president of basketball operations Bernie Bickerstaff is expected to fly to Los Angeles to meet with Pelinka shortly after the negotiation period begins Sunday. New general manager Rod Higgins will also be involved in trying to lock up Wallace.

"Rod and Bernie have indicated to me and Gerald that re-signing him is a top priority for their franchise," Pelinka said. "Starting at midnight on July 1, Gerald and I will start evaluating his options and ultimately make a thoughtful decision on what his future will be."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917333

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I think I'll avoid this thread for a while.

mardigan
06-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeesh, 10 mill plus? Seems pretty steep

MoSpur
06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
How many teams have that kind of money to throw at him?

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Bucks, Magic, Grizzlies, and Hawks....so not many.

Of course he could just re-up with the Bobcats, who have a bunch of $$$ at double his original salary....

Oh, and theoretically, the Sonics do if they let Rashard go...

TheSanityAnnex
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
why the kings let go of him i will never understand.

Bruno
06-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Bobcats want to re-sign him and he wants to be back with them.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 02:43 PM
He is officially overrated.

T Park
06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
He was overrated when he was with the damn Kings.

BigBeezie
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM

None of the good teams have that kind of money. He is not a franchise player IMO either.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
None of the good teams have that kind of money. He is not a franchise player IMO either.

Franchise players don't make $10M....they make $20M.

Fringe all-stars and legitimate second options make that much...

Not saying he qualifies, but he's still very young, active on defense, and put up great numbers despite still having a shaky jumpshot.

If Dunleavy can get $9-10M, so can this kid...

MoSpur
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
He would be a good fit for Seattle.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-26-2007, 03:10 PM
would be incredible wity the Spurs

dude get bang on the boards

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Franchise players don't make $10M....they make $20M.

Fringe all-stars and legitimate second options make that much...

Not saying he qualifies, but he's still very young, active on defense, and put up great numbers despite still having a shaky jumpshot.

If Dunleavy can get $9-10M, so can this kid...Using this past season's cap number, the most Gerald or any player with five years' experience could make in his first year is $12.455 million.

Vito Corleone
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I could see Denver going after him if they can do a sign and trade for Kenyon. Not saying Charlott is interested in Kenyon but I'm sure someone would like to have a overpaid overhyped injury prone prima donna, this is the NBA.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Using this past season's cap number, the most Gerald or any player with five years' experience could make in his first year is $12.455 million.

My guess is that you're implying a $10M/yr deal would be close to the max dollars that a franchise player receives....

If so, I'll make the distinction. Max-type players get $12.5M their first year, but the % escalation is such that it averages out to between $15M and $20M per year.

The contract I assume Wallace will be asking for will AVERAGE $9-10M per year.

If I inferred incorrecty and you were implying something else...sorry.

coachmac87
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
whats the most money the spurs can offer this guy???

spurscenter
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
denver goes for anyone that plays

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 03:39 PM
whats the most money the spurs can offer this guy???

MLE...a little less than $6M per year

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 03:39 PM
The salaries don't increase that much anymore. There are still some guys who make more like Duncan and Garnett, but that's mostly because they signed contracts when the max was high, the contracts could be longer and the yearly increases were higher.

But I'm just nitpicking. I think $10 million is too much for Wallace.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
But I'm just nitpicking. I think $10 million is too much for Wallace.

I agree with your first statement....

He's officially moved into the "overrated" category.

coachmac87
06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
MLE...a little less than $6M per year

so basically the spurs have no chance what so ever to sign him...i would love to have this guy! he has bowens replacement written all over him..and i wouldnt mind seeing a lineup with

pg-parker
sg-wallace
sf-bowen
pf-duncan
c- i guess elson/or fab

and manu off the bench...i would hate to see finley leave i would take him over barry any day....but this will never happen if the guy wants to get paid..

MrChug
06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
nene/howard/prince money

...and he's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more valuable than those guys, so by that rationale I guess he's worth it.

But he was #1 on my wishlist so this makes me very sad :depressed

VERY SAD. He would have guaranteed us 2 more rings at least. Young, long, a defensive giant and a capable scorer.

coachmac87
06-26-2007, 03:47 PM
hopefully no teams offers him such a deal..but i actually see it happening he is only 24 and has a bright future..people say he was overrated but he was the star on the bobcats..not saying much but still...numbers were good and if he is put on a squad with good surrounding players he can be a solid pick up...it all depends if he just wants the $$ or a chance to win....

jag
06-26-2007, 03:50 PM
The guy doesnt even have a decent J.

coachmac87
06-26-2007, 03:52 PM

but still put up 18 a game and shot over 50% from the field on a team with nobody else...i say its very very impressive..and anybody can hit wide open 3's playing with tim duncan and tony parker...so his 3% would seriously increase. its easy to increase from 32% but hey...he fits really well in the spurs system...

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Antoine Carr and Tony Campbell were awesome on teams with nobody else on them too.

coachmac87
06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Antoine Carr and Tony Campbell were awesome on teams with nobody else on them too.

so do u think wallace woulndt be a good fit or a good pick up?? now we know they wont offer him the 10 mil he wants...but if some magic happened and we got em...i think that would be huge

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 04:16 PM
If money were no object, fine. But it is.

bigdog
06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Gerald Wallace making 7 or 8 mil a year might be about right. but 10 mil???? i dont think so. the guy is a great defender and amazing athlete, but i think its a little too epensive for him. barry+beno+TWO 2nd round picks for Wallace. do it. but we all know Bickerstaff and Jordan probably wont bite on that deal

Spurminator
06-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I think the MLE is pushing it for Wallace. Keep in mind the Charlotte Bobcats are a team that made Brevin Knight and even Jason Hart fantasy studs at one time. Don't be seduced by the numbers.

Budkin
06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Too bad we don't have a chance to get him.

SenorSpur
06-26-2007, 05:17 PM

TRue. I had high hopes, but not for that price tag.

mavs>spurs2
06-26-2007, 05:27 PM
He and Josh Howard put up very similar numbers last season. I'd say if Josh can get 10 mill a year, then so can Gerald Wallace.

danyel
06-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Walter Herrmann might get a chance to start...

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 05:57 PM
He and Josh Howard put up very similar numbers last season. I'd say if Josh can get 10 mill a year, then so can Gerald Wallace.
Josh Howard has a jumpshot.

whottt
06-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Over 2 blocks and 2 steals a game at the SF position seduces me...I'm sorry.

Sign him if it's humanly possible...and you don't put up those kind of defensive numbers without wanting to win real bad.

whottt
06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Elliott Fan, I was the biggest Benoit fan in the world...but the dude murdered his 7 year old child and wife...you really should get him out of your sig. Or at least stop honoring him as if he was some tragic figure that was a victim of fate...

He made himself a tragic figure, he sealed his own fate, and even worse, he made his family tragic figures. He was also a wife abuser.

He was a multi millionaire who had everything a man could ever want, that murdered his family, one of which was guranteed to be innocent and helpless...there is nothing there to memorialize.

I liked him too..but he was a bad guy.

You come off as a complete ass by having him in your sig like that.

RC's Boss
06-26-2007, 06:09 PM

Sign him if it's humanly possible...and you don't put up those kind of defensive numbers without wanting to win real bad.
Shit, I just came :oops

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Talk about off-topic!

But seriously, yea I've been thinking about that same thing for a couple hours. But your right. I should change my sig.

jag
06-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Not sure if we're talkin about the same guy, or maybe you just need better sources. He averaged 2 steals a game and 1 block per game, and for 10mil he still wont find his jumper. His athleticism and overall game has been compared to Darius Miles, Does that seduce you?

whottt
06-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Not sure if we're talkin about the same guy, or maybe you just need better sources. He averaged 2 steals a game and 1 block per game, and for 10mil he still wont find his jumper. His athleticism and overall game has been compared to Darius Miles, Does that seduce you?

In 2006 he averaged 2.5spg, 2.1 bpg, 15ppg(on 53% shooting) and 7.5rpg.

Seductive.

He was hurt last year...

The 2.1 blocks would seem to be an aberration...but there is like one or two other SF's that have done that in NBA history...

Borosai
06-26-2007, 06:51 PM
10 mil is too much for Wallace, especially on the Spurs. That's Parker/Manu money... these guys earned those contracts by playing with the Spurs and proving they could perform within the system. I'm sure someone will pay him, just not the Spurs.

jag
06-26-2007, 06:53 PM
In 2006 he averaged 2 steals, 2.1 blocks, 15ppg and 7.5rpg.

He was hurt last year...

he played 72 games last season...the only thing that was hurting was his jumper

exstatic
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Ding, ding, ding. Great athlete. Shitty team. Unlimited shots.

whottt
06-26-2007, 06:55 PM
he played 72 games last season...the only thing that was hurting was his jumper

No...he was battling knee and groin injuries all season...he played injured(contract season), and his numbers suffered because of it.

exstatic
06-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Josh Howard has a jumpshot.
Josh Howard has a jumpshot out to three point range. Wallace breaks windows outside of 10 feet.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 06:56 PM
He was hurt last year...Why did he only play 55 games the season with the big stats?

whottt
06-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Ding, ding, ding. Great athlete. Shitty team. Unlimited shots.

Screw shots...show me when Carr and Campbell put up over 2 steals and 2 blocks per game.

And did Toine ever even come close to pulling down 7 boards per game at any point in his career?

Forget the PPG...it's the blocks and boards at the SF position that are appealing.

whottt
06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Why did he only play 55 games the season with the big stats?

He got hurt then too...and that might be a legitimate knock on him, that he is injury prone.

Still, I don't think there's any doubt he's capable of over 2 spg, he does that routinely...

And 55 games is a big enough sample for the 2bpg to be seductive to me anyway...fluke or not.

Care to provide me with a list of SF that have put up 2bpg over 55 games in NBA history?

AK47...maybe Josh Smith...

Who else?

jag
06-26-2007, 06:59 PM
No...he was battling knee and groin injuries all season...he played injured(contract season), and his numbers suffered because of it.

He was so injured that he averaged 37 min/game. and his fg % was still 50%(only cause he averages like 4-5 dunks a game). He was a star on a bad team, and like i said, so was darius miles.

In the end, you can get wet watching the guy shoot bricks at 12 feet.

He's still not worth 10mil/year

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Not enough room for another $10 million man.

whottt
06-26-2007, 07:03 PM
He was so injured that he averaged 37 min/game. and his fg % was still 50%(only cause he averages like 4-5 dunks a game). He was a star on a bad team, and like i said, so was darius miles.

In the end, you can get wet watching the guy shoot bricks at 12 feet.

He's still not worth 10mil/year

Who gives a fuck what he shoots?

We have plenty of guys to take shots...we don't have any shotblocking or rebounding, at the C position, much less at the SF position. That's the seduction.

The last thing that should be a priority for this team right now is signing another scorer...there's only one ball, and we have a 3 man core that does that well. Nothing fucks up a teams chemistry worse than having a bunch of guys that want the ball. Manu, Tony and Tim, are the guys that get the shots on this team, and there is barely enough to go around for them as it is.

whottt
06-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Not enough room for another $10 million man.

What about a S&T?

jag
06-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Who gives a fuck what he shoots?

We have plenty of guys to take shots...we don't have any shotblocking or rebounding, at the C position, much less at the SF position. That's theOb seduction.

The last thing that should be a priority for this team right now is signing another scorer...there's only one ball, and we have a 3 man core that does that well.

What the hell about 10mil/year do you not get??

Obviously it would be nice to get an athletic SF who can play D for after bruce leaves. But Gerald Wallace isnt worth it at this point.

And after Bruce leaves we wont have our Shooters anymore. Brent and finley will be gone. It would also be nice to have a guy that can shoot past the free-throw line.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
What about a S&T?Jordan is a bad GM, but not that bad. I can't think of anything outside the big three in which Charlotte could possibly be interested.

whottt
06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Like I said before...there are maybe 2 others guys in NBA history that have put up 2blocks and 2 steals per game playing SF...if that's isn't seductive to you, especially on this team...you're just stupid.

Those numbers should easily get him 10 mil per season. Just based on potential.

whottt
06-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Jordan is a bad GM, but not that bad. I can't think of anything outside the big three in which Charlotte could possibly be interested.

As opposed to losing Wallace for nothing?

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 07:09 PM
As opposed to losing Wallace for nothing?To whom?

Not us -- we don't have that buying power this summer. If Wallace is willing to sign here for the MLE, I'll see you in four years after parade #8.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
It's funny, but from a quick glance it only looks like about three other teams might have the cap space to make Wallace a big offer. Milwaukee, Washington and Memphis. Of the three, Memphis makes the most sense to pursue him, and even that is a bit of a stretch. Wallace may have done better had he waited one more season, but his injury history may have precluded that in his agent's mind.

Big P
06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
I think the MLE is pushing it for Wallace. Keep in mind the Charlotte Bobcats are a team that made Brevin Knight and even Jason Hart fantasy studs at one time. Don't be seduced by the numbers.

He just came off a contract making $5.5 mil per, why would he opt out & take a MLE contract?

Wallace wanting $10 mil is not a surprise, he has been throwing that number around since he made it known he was going to opt out.

whottt
06-26-2007, 07:48 PM
It's funny, but from a quick glance it only looks like about three other teams might have the cap space to make Wallace a big offer. Milwaukee, Washington and Memphis. Of the three, Memphis makes the most sense to pursue him, and even that is a bit of a stretch. Wallace may have done better had he waited one more season, but his injury history may have precluded that in his agent's mind.

I'll be surprised if Milwaukee throws that kind of jack at him, as SF really isn't their need...but then again, there's a reason they are Milwaukee.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Milwaukee's gonna be spending their money on Chauncey.

whottt
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
To whom?

Not us -- we don't have that buying power this summer. If Wallace is willing to sign here for the MLE, I'll see you in four years after parade #8.

Fair enough...if he's going to walk somewhere Jordan may be willing to do a S&T(who says it has to be 10 million if he can't get it) rather than losing him for nothing...

SenorSpur
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
I just wonder if this guy hasn't overestimated his worth in the marketplace. There just aren't many teams out there that have enough cap space to spend frivolously.

T Park
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Does Milwaukee have the kind of capspace to sign a Billups, or now, a Gerald Wallace :lol

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Fair enough...if he's going to walk somewhere Jordan may be willing to do a S&T(who says it has to be 10 million if he can't get it) rather than losing him for nothing...Seeing as he's not even 25 yet, I'm inclined to think he would go to the place that would offer the most money and have some combination of players that Charlotte would want. I'm not confident San Antonio is that team.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Does Milwaukee have the kind of capspace to sign a Billups, or now, a Gerald Wallace :lolI would suppose one or the other. If Simmons comes back it would make more sense to pursue Billups, however unlikely an actual signing might be.

whottt
06-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Seeing as he's not even 25 yet, I'm inclined to think he would go to the place that would offer the most money and have some combination of players that Charlotte would want. I'm not confident San Antonio is that team.

Usually a S&T is a case of a team being lucky enough to get something other than nothing...it's usually the FA that has all the leverage, he usually gets to go where he wants to go...and the former team usually ends up taking what it can get...

Sin,

Spurs and Smitty 2002

whottt
06-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Anyway...IMO, Gerald Wallace is the best SF this team has the chance of getting.

And PT should not be a problem for him here, although shots might.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Usually a S&T is a case of a team being lucky enough to get something other than nothing...it's usually the FA that has all the leverage, he usually gets to go where he wants to go...and the former team usually ends up taking what it can get...

Sin,

Spurs and Smitty 2002The team bidding for said free agent usually has to pay out the ass, often much more than said free agent is worth.

Sin,

Blazers and DA 2002

exstatic
06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I just wonder if this guy hasn't overestimated his worth in the marketplace. There just aren't many teams out there that have enough cap space to spend frivolously.

There's a "Bonzi" every year, seems like...

whottt
06-26-2007, 10:05 PM
The team bidding for said free agent usually has to pay out the ass, often much more than said free agent is worth.

Sin,

Blazers and DA 2002

Only if that was where said FA preferred to play period. And seeking team had one of the dually most stupid and most free spending front offices and GM.

Sin,

Blazers and DA 2000

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I skipped over Orlando for some reason. They could be quite a player if they move quickly on Darko.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Only if that was where said FA preferred to play period.

Sin,

Blazers and DA 2001Get back to me when Wallace says he wants to play here as the fourth option.

whottt
06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Get back to me when Wallace says he wants to play here as the fourth option.

Get back to me when he's going to be one of the first options for any team other than the Bobcats.

Big P
06-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Anyway...IMO, Gerald Wallace is the best SF this team has the chance of getting.

And PT should not be a problem for him here, although shots might.

Seriously? We have a way better shot of getting Nocioni or Pietrus. Wallace has said he wants to stay with the Bobcats & the Bobcats have said they want to keep him. They have plenty of money so I look for him to resign. Seattle or Orlando could also be options for him. We have about as good of a shot with Wallace as we do with Rashard Lewis.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Why should the Spurs make Wallace their 2nd highest paid player, again?

whottt
06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Seriously? We have a way better shot of getting Nocioni or Pietrus.

I'd agree with that...that doesn't make them better than Wallace though, and they aren't, which is what I was saying.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Get back to me when he's going to be one of the first options for any team other than the Bobcats.Exactly the reason he'll probably stay in Charlotte.

Findog
06-26-2007, 11:46 PM
If it's true, he's definitely priced out of the Spurs range for even a S&T.

Thank God, I most definitely do not want to see that guy in the silver and black.

MrChug
06-27-2007, 12:04 AM
To whom?

I completely agree and that was the argument I made long before he officially opted out. Dude's a monster, young, and coachable.

whottt
06-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Exactly the reason he'll probably stay in Charlotte.

Whatever...but if he can't get the money he wants, he may want to win...and if the Spurs can get him for up to 10 mil a year via S&T...I'd say they should attempt it...it still puts hte Bobcats in a position of getting something in return instead of nothing.

Sin,

Spurs and DA 2001

The Spurs do have good trade relations with the Bobcats...and as you said, Jordan isn't exactly the greatest GM in history.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 12:43 AM
and if the Spurs can get him for up to 10 mil a year via S&T:lmao :lmao :lmao

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Damn. Let someone else make that mistake. And yeah, the Spurs would be highly unlikely to be that team.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Everything would be just dandy if Wallace couldn't get $10 million a year from another team AND the Spurs actually wanted to give him $10 million a year AND Jordan preferred to take back Brent Barry and Francisco Elson instead of just rolling with over $20 million of cap space that he didn't want to use on a guy like Wallace in the first place.

Yes, that would be great.