PDA

View Full Version : My World Series of Poker experience

Jimcs50
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
I am back. Here is my account of my tourney experience in an abridged version for those of you who are in to poker.

My tourney had a huge record field in a non main event event. There were 2778 players entered, including almost every pro you can think of. I sat 3 feet away from Joe Hashem who was at the table right next to me, and Chris "Jesus" Ferguson(finished in 31st place) was on the table on the other side of mine. Jesus was reading a book at the table, I guess he was bored. :)Hashem lasted 2 hrs and 10 mins, Phil Helmuth last 4 hrs, and I lasted 5 hrs 50 mins, just short of the 6th session, so it follows that Jimcs50> Hashem and Helmuth. :smokin :) Helmuth had one of his famous blowups when he went out. He had his pockets kings cracked when he went all in and a guy with pocket 8s called him. The guy caught another 8 on the turn and Phil proceeded to go into a rant about what kind of idiot player would call an all in with pocket 8s...blah blah blah. :lol I was card dead but kept alive by winning a few pots with so so hands and semi bluffs that made the other player fold.

Starting with 3000 chips and blinds at 25 and 50, you can not sit around and wait for great hands too much, because the blinds are such a huge percentage of your stack. That said, I could not even try to do anything at all for the first hour, because I did not get 2 face cards or suited connectors or pocket pairs for the first 25 hands(Must have had K,Q,J-2,3,4 or 8,7-2,3 fifteen times), I finally got a decent hand on the button with A-10 u in the 2nd session. I was lulled to sleep with getting horrible cards, so my mind wandered a bit, and I did not notice that the player under the gun in seat 1(I was in seat 9, so I could not see him all that well since he was hiding behind the dealer somewhat) had raised, and I thought I was only one in the hand except the blinds, so I announced a raise and threw in 200 chips, but since he had already raised to 400, I was commited to raise his 400 and had to put in another 350 chips. :oops He saw that I was hesitant, so right after I put in the extra chips he then went all in. :bang I could not risk my tourney life with my hand against a player that raised in that early position, so I had to fold. I just pissed off 550 chips. :bang He was nice enough to show his pocket jacks, so it was a good lay down as I knew he had either JJ, or QQ. Had I seen that he raised I might have called because I had position and if any ace or king flopped, I could have either won the pot or stolen it.

I kept my head above water with 2 all ins that I won, so by the end of the 5th session, I had 2200 chips. The blinds were 150-300 and the antes were 25, so I was getting desperate. I caught my 2nd pocket pair 7-7 in the cut off and when the player in 4th position raised to 900, I went all in. There was 1600 in the pot because of his 900 and the blinds and antes, so when he called I had a chance to get to 5200 chips, which would have bought me some more time and allowed me to be a little creative and maybe get my stack moving in the right direction. He had AK so we had a classic race situation. The flop drew him a blank, so did the turn....I held my breath but was feeling giddy because I had him down to a 12% chance of winning to my 88%......then a freaking king came on the river.

I took the beat like a man, congratulated him and shook hands with some of the guys that I was friendy with, and slinked out down the walk of shame. :depressed

The good news is I won some money in cash games the rest of the weekend.

All in All I had a great time, learned a lot and am now hooked of the World Series of Poker, so will make this an annual trip. :elephant

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Awesome man, I plan on making the trip within the next 3-5 years

MannyIsGod
06-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Nice job Jim. Good laydown with the AT. Hardest thing to do is laydown a medicore hand to hat you think is BS when you've been card dead. Nice.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
:clap :clap :clap

You did awesome, Jim. Thanks for telling the story. :lol@Phil

MaNuMaNiAc
06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey! NICE!! Now I can tell people I know a guy who outlasted Helmuth at a World Series Poker event! (of course I use "know" in the most loosely of forms, but they'll never know that! :lol) Congrats Jim, seems like a great experience

Marklar MM
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
If only I knew what the hell the terms mean, I would have been able to follow the story. :)

Thunder Dan
06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
any chance you will be on tv?

Jimcs50
06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Nice job Jim. Good laydown with the AT. Hardest thing to do is laydown a medicore hand to hat you think is BS when you've been card dead. Nice.

Thanks Manny. Yeah, it was a no brainer because like I said, when a player raises 400% under the gun, he has either AK, JJ or QQ and maybe KK, because he really only wants either the blinds or one caller, max.

I had 2 hands that typified my weekend in cash games though.

1. At the Bellagio, I was in a 2-5 no limit game. I had KQ and raised it up to $15 in the cut off, had 2 callers from the 3 limpers. The flop comes 9, 10, J rainbow...flopped the nutz!!! 1st player checked, the 2nd player bet the pot, I am salivating to say the least, I smooth call and the 1st player folds. The turn is a blank of some sort(4 or 5). The guy checks, I bet 100, and he moves in...I quickly call. He has 10-J, two pair, he curses his luck, then the river brings another 10 and he gets a boat. I lost $240 on that hand.

2. At Harrahs on my last day, I am in a 1-2 no limit game. I am up about $300 after about 3 hrs of playing. I get AK hearts on the button and after 2 limpers come in, I raise it up to $10, the blinds fold and I get one caller. The flop is A K 4 with two spades . :elephant He checks, I check. The turn is another ace. I have a boat!!! he checks, I check. the river is insignificant, he checks.... I bet $10....he folds. I win a paltry $15 :bang

Oh well, not my weekend.

:)

Jimcs50
06-26-2007, 04:02 PM
:clap :clap :clap

You did awesome, Jim. Thanks for telling the story. :lol@Phil

Thanks Kori. :lol Phil is a such a baby. They had a banner congratulating him on his 11th WSOP braclet. They also had teeshirts for sale already that had Helmuths' 11 braclets. I do not like the guy, but a lot of people do, so people were buying them.

He could have learned a lesson from me when I got beat on the river. I really hate whiney poker players, or players that get all pissed when someone puts a bad beat on you. It is called gambling, you know. :)

Jimcs50
06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
any chance you will be on tv?

The ESPN cameras were everywhere and even shot in my direction because of Hashem right next to me, so maybe I will be on tv. We had to sign a waver that were were informed that we might be on tv and had to agree that it was ok, for you to be allowed to play in the tourney.

Jimcs50
06-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Here is a picture that they took of me. I was not aware that they took the picture. I can buy it if I want to, and I will. I think I look like a pro, yes?

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=worldseriesofpoker&gallery_id=737027&image_id=1

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?shopperid=J7DQMN77RD6K8P1FAWC RTLTWKN6P3R37&userid=worldseriesofpoker&tcount=24&scount=2&gallery_id=737027&image_id=1

MaNuMaNiAc
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
that you Jim?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Here is a picture that they took of me. I was not aware that they took the picture. I can buy it if I want to, and I will. I think I look like a pro, yes?

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=worldseriesofpoker&gallery_id=737027&image_id=1:lol nothing like I pictured you bro

ShoogarBear
06-26-2007, 04:16 PM
If only I knew what the hell the terms mean, I would have been able to follow the story. :)From what I gathered, Jim got his ass kicked, but spent a lot of words trying to make us think he didn't.

Just like all the rest of his posts.

katyon6th
06-26-2007, 04:57 PM

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=worldseriesofpoker&gallery_id=737027&image_id=1

I'd hit it.

:spin

Seriously, that's very cool you were there.

angel_luv
06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't know anything about Poker but am glad you had fun. :)

CubanMustGo
06-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Sorry you didn't get better hands to work with but at least it sounds like you had a good time.

But $69 for a downloadable version of your own mugshot? Cripes ...

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice, Jimmy! :tu

Two of my brothers are really into poker so I've started paying more attention to it the last year or so. I'm certainly not confident enough in my game to try the WSOP though.

SequSpur
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
gay......................

Jimcs50
06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
From what I gathered, Jim got his ass kicked, but spent a lot of words trying to make us think he didn't.

Just like all the rest of his posts.

:lol

:flipoff

Flea
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Nice pic, glad you had fun!