PDA

View Full Version : Hornets head into first game action with new coach

ducks
10-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Hornets head into first game action with new coach, new system
WESTWEGO, La. (AP) _ The New Orleans Hornets play their first exhibition game of this new season Wednesday night after only 10 practices _ which Tim Floyd says is not nearly enough time to learn the new plays and defensive strategies he's brought in.

``I'd like about two more weeks of practice,'' Floyd said Tuesday. ``We're not close to being ready. We know that. The players know that. It's a whole new system of play.''

The game, technically part of the Hornets' home preseason schedule, will be played in the Maravich Assembly Center in Baton Rouge against the Orlando Magic, which played its first preseason game Tuesday night in Dallas. Tracy McGrady, among the most prolific scorers in the NBA, is expected to see limited playing time for the Magic.

Orlando won't likely see any of the sets the Hornets ran from a half-court oriented offense last season.

Floyd is asking his team to play a high-pressure defense meant to create more turnovers and fast breaks, with numerous players involved.

``Winning isn't imperative right now,'' Floyd said ``What's imperative is that we try to get some sense of organization out on the floor, which could be a scary movie.''

Those who played last season under Paul Silas _ all of the Hornets' starters and several key reserves _ have been careful about drawing comparisons between their new and old coaches. Most of the Hornets liked playing for Silas.

Starting point guard Baron Davis said this training camp seems to be more rigorous than the previous four he has been through.

``It's a lot more to learn than what I expected. That's a good thing, though. High demands call for a lot of focus,'' Davis said. ``I think everybody's playing a lot harder.''

But Davis wasn't yet ready to say whether the new system is preferable.

``We haven't played a game. It's going to take time to really get a feel for it,'' he said. ``I won't be able to answer that question until later.''

In addition to Floyd's intense coaching style and the increase in running, the reserves are getting more attention, something players such as shooting guard Courtney Alexander appreciate.

``It's a lot more fun than last year,'' Alexander said. ``We did a lot more standing around (last season) and sometimes that was reflected in our play _ we relied so heavily on Baron and (Jamal Mashburn). I think Tim Floyd realized we had other players who are capable and everybody feels involved.''

Floyd expects all 17 players on the training camp roster to see some time on the floor against the Magic, but he says this first preseason game won't likely be a major factor in determining who makes the 12-man regular season lineup.

``It's not big at all. We've got so much new information that's been thrown out. We're just trying to figure out where we're going,'' Floyd said. link (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=24292698)