PDA

View Full Version : Sonics To Offer Luke Ridnour To Hawks For 11th Pick?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Sources: Sonics working on Ridnour trade
By GARY WASHBURN
P-I REPORTER

The Sonics are eager to begin the restructuring of their roster and have offered the Atlanta Hawks point guard Luke Ridnour for the No. 11 pick in Thursday's NBA draft, according to three NBA sources.

The Hawks have long coveted Ridnour and he could be the point guard they have sought for years. Atlanta passed on New Orleans' Chris Paul and Utah's Deron Williams in the 2005 draft in favor of Bremerton's Marvin Williams.

The Hawks signed Charles "Speedy" Claxton as a free agent, but he played in just 42 games last season because of knee problems and shot 33 percent from the field. Ridnour, according to those close to him, has expected a trade since the conclusion of last season, a disappointing one for Ridnour.

He averaged 11 points and 5.2 assists in 71 games and his numbers dropped considerably in the final four months of the season, when he lost playing time to Earl Watson. The deal would have to get done by the draft or the No. 11 pick turns into a salary slot and the two clubs would have to match salaries and players to complete the transaction.

Atlanta also has another deal on the table from a third team for a point guard and is mulling that offer. If the Hawks accept Seattle's offer, the Sonics would own two of the first 11 picks and four of the first 35 and almost certainly would deal the No. 31 and 35 picks for perhaps another first-rounder or future picks.

With the 11th pick, the Sonics could nab a point guard prospect such as Texas A&M's Acie Law, who worked out for the club earlier this month, or Georgia Tech's Javaris Crittenton, a freshman who would probably need a few years of seasoning before taking over the starting position.

Either way, the trade would allow the Sonics to move in another direction at point guard. Ridnour was considered the team's point guard cornerstone when he became Gary Payton's eventual successor in 2004-05, but he had yet to reach his potential and the past two years have been plagued by bouts with confidence issues and maddening inconsistency.

Atlanta is seeking a pure point guard who can serve as a distributor. The best-case scenario for the Hawks is that he turns into a Steve Nash-type who becomes a master of running their up-tempo offense. Atlanta wants to compete in the Eastern Conference immediately and taking Crittenton or freshman Mike Conley Jr. would be a pick for the future. Ridnour, 26, could be entering his prime and has proven to be a solid passer with a dependable jumper -- when he is at his best.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/321366_sonx27.html?source=rss

CubanMustGo
06-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Fluke Ridenour, just what the Hawks need to turn it around. :rolleyes

Wait, let's offer them Beno!!

Kori Ellis
06-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Funny.

A lot of Sonics fans for some reason prefer Ridnour to Watson, and thought Watson would be dealt. I guess Presti is carrying over that defense first mentality to Seattle.

SenorSpur
06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Hawks GM Billy Knight is a true dumb ass. If he does this deal, it will overshadow his previous dumb-ass gaffes. He's his choice of young PGs in this draft and he's drooling over Ridenour? C'mon.

timvp
06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Props to Presti for apparently figuring out that Ridnour sucks. He's one of the most overrated players in the league. He has been in the bottom three on the Sonics in plus/minus each year of his career and even had a negative mark in '05 when the Sonics were actually good.

Ridnour for the 11th pick would be a steal for Presti.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Sonics fans are already talking about getting Acie Law with the #11. :lol

Borosai
06-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Atlanta's FO is crap. No surprise here.

Russ
06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
And the Hawks may be dumb enough to do it.

T Park
06-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Presti is gonna prove out to be twice the GM that Buford is.

Kept the wrong fucking guy.

SHIT.

picnroll
06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
How does Billy Knight keep his job?

mikejones99
06-26-2007, 08:38 PM
wrong category fuckface and the only reason that scrub plays is cuz he is white. He will be out of the leaugue soon. :sleep

Morphgizmo
06-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Charles "Speedy" Claxton

:wtf

kyleo
06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Presti is gonna prove out to be twice the GM that Buford is.

Kept the wrong fucking guy.

SHIT.
If he makes this deal, and I'm a Sonics' fan, I'm feeling like I'm in pretty good hands.

Is Ray Allen next?

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
How does Billy Knight keep his job?

He stuck with the current owners during their ownership dispute over the Joe Johnson fiasco a couple years back....and they rewarded him with blind loyalty.

Having said that, I don't think this is the dumbest move in the world, as most others are suggesting. The Hawks need a pass-first point guard that can contribute right away and it seems as if they're deadset on drafting Al Horford, who has clearly established himself as the #3 guy in this draft....so they wouldn't have gotten Conley Jr. and apparently weren't sold on the project, Crittenton, or the scoring guard, Law.

The Hawks reached last year and took Shelden Williams at #5....if they don't feel Law or Crittenton are worth #11, then they shouldn't pay them.

This is one of the first moves Billy is considering that isn't TOTALLY rediculous....

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Hawks GM Billy Knight is a true dumb ass. If he does this deal, it will overshadow his previous dumb-ass gaffes. He's his choice of young PGs in this draft and he's drooling over Ridenour? C'mon.

I doubt this deal would overshadow passing on two future all-stars (Chris Paul and Deron Williams), then reaching for Shelden Williams with a guarantee at #5 when he was clearly a mid-first round talent that they could've traded back for....both were idiotic decisions regarding the draft that were probably worse.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
wrong category fuckface
If you don't know, it's been said by many veteran users that between the time that the offseason starts and the draft you can put any draft-related news in the Spurs Forum, fuckface. And Kori even said that if she feels like a thread doesn't belong she'll move it, and so far she looks like she doesn't have a problem with it.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
If I'm the Hawks though, I also ask for one of the project Cs...either Petro or Sene

picnroll
06-26-2007, 08:51 PM
He stuck with the current owners during their ownership dispute over the Joe Johnson fiasco a couple years back....and they rewarded him with blind loyalty.

Having said that, I don't think this is the dumbest move in the world, as most others are suggesting. The Hawks need a pass-first point guard that can contribute right away and it seems as if they're deadset on drafting Al Horford, who has clearly established himself as the #3 guy in this draft....so they wouldn't have gotten Conley Jr. and apparently weren't sold on the project, Crittenton, or the scoring guard, Law.

The Hawks reached last year and took Shelden Williams at #5....if they don't feel Law or Crittenton are worth #11, then they shouldn't pay them.

This is one of the first moves Billy is considering that isn't TOTALLY rediculous....
Ridnour for 11 in a strong draft? There are better PG options available for that pick. Knight is like Ainge making stupid moves because he knows if he doesn't rise to mediocricy this year his ass is fired.

ShoogarBear
06-26-2007, 08:54 PM

This is one of the first moves Billy is considering that isn't TOTALLY rediculous....I agree it's not horrible. There's no guarantee that the #11 pick would prove to be any better than Ridenour (you hope it would, but it's a crapshoot).

I had forgotten all about Watson when Presti signed with Seattle, and I had always thought he would have been the guy traded.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Ridnour for 11 in a strong draft? There are better PG options available for that pick. Knight is like Ainge making stupid moves because he knows if he doesn't rise to mediocricy this year his ass is fired.

Law is a playmaker and a scoring guard....but the Hawks already have enough of those guys....

Crittenton is EXTREMELY raw, and likely will need a couple years to get the system down.

Conley Jr. would NOT have been there at #11....

So who is the better option?

I'm actually kind of glad that the Hawks are talking Ridnour instead of Jarret Jack. Do I honestly think either is worth the #11 pick....probably not.

BUT....no pick FOR THE HAWKS at #11 will have been as beneficial as Ridnour could be for them.

BOTTOM LINE: Hawks have alot of talent and no one to get them the ball. If they think Ridnour could be the "Steve Nash" type....might as well give it a shot.

mikejones99
06-26-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks for the info kermit

T Park
06-26-2007, 08:59 PM
The more I think of it, this is a solid move for both clubs.

The hawks get their starting point guard who isn't totally bad.

The Sonics get another lottery pick.

Billy Knight has done worse deals than this thats for sure.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I agree it's not horrible. There's no guarantee that the #11 pick would prove to be any better than Ridenour (you hope it would, but it's a crapshoot).

I had forgotten all about Watson when Presti signed with Seattle, and I had always thought he would have been the guy traded.

I think Ridnour probably has more trade value than Watson...especially since he began his career as the starter (unlike Watson) and has stuck with one team in his career (unlike Watson).

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great deal for the Sonics if it happens...but the Hawks will not have gotten fleeced.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 09:01 PM
The more I think of it, this is a solid move for both clubs.

The hawks get their starting point guard who isn't totally bad.

The Sonics get another lottery pick.

Billy Knight has done worse deals than this thats for sure.

Sonics with #2, #11, #31, #35...in one of the deepest drafts in league history...

Gotta give Presti credit for putting his stamp on this team early with a potentially franchise-altering draft....

And the Sonics don't necessarily HAVE to draft a PG at #11...

Watson is making Starting PG money and Seattle could grab a backup at #31 or #35....If Presti takes Dowdell because he knows the Spurs covet him.... :pctoss

T Park
06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Letting Presti go could be as big a fuckup as letting Stephen Jackson walk.

ShoogarBear
06-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Sonics with #2, #11, #31, #35...in one of the deepest drafts in league history...

Gotta give Presti credit for putting his stamp on this team early with a potentially franchise-altering draft....

And the Sonics don't necessarily HAVE to draft a PG at #11...

Watson is making Starting PG money and Seattle could grab a backup at #31 or #35....If Presti takes Dowdell because he knows the Spurs covet him.... :pctossThat's a good point. The extra draft pick will essentially put Presti in the position where he can both address team needs AND repeatedly screw the Spurs.

Darkwaters
06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Sonics fans are already talking about getting Acie Law with the #11. :lol

Yes we are! Over at the website I write for (www.sonicsbeat.com) we're loving the idea of grabbing him up. Of course, we're also an Oklahoma-based website vouching on them moving!

picnroll
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Ridenour, a guy who shoots .418 career averages 5.2 assists and gets beat out every other week for his starting position is the Hawks answer to their PG problems? Presti is damn smart ridding himself of a weak PG and conning the Hawks into a lottery pick for him.

T Park
06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Ridenour, a guy who shoots .418 career averages 5.2 assists and gets beat out every other week for his starting position is the Hawks answer to their PG problems?

Who else do they have thats better?

At 11, you'd have Law, hes not bad, but, hes unproven.

Javerious Crittenton? Come on, hes 19 and could flake out.

Ridenour is a solid veteran, who can shoot the three ball, and passes the ball well.

Darkwaters
06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
That would be one of the all-time most one-sided trades in history. A clutch player like Law for a routine choker like Ridnour (not to mention that Law will be on a cheap rookie contract for 4 years).

Darkwaters
06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Who else do they have thats better?

At 11, you'd have Law, hes not bad, but, hes unproven.

Javerious Crittenton? Come on, hes 19 and could flake out.

Ridenour is a solid veteran, who can shoot the three ball, and passes the ball well.

Apparently Portland offered Jarret Jack up for the 11 pick. Jack > Ridnour

exstatic
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Ridenour is Beno, minus the accent.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
thanks for the info kermit
You're welcome. :toast

exstatic
06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Apparently Portland offered Jarret Jack up for the 11 pick. Jack > Ridnour
Jack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ridenour. If Knight does this deal, I think it will ultimately be the final cause of his firing.

Buddy Holly
06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Beno and Scola for the number 11.

timvp
06-27-2007, 04:33 AM
I've read that the Raptors might be offer Calderon for the 11th pick. I do that if I'm the Hawks,

Calderon > Jack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ridnour

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 08:19 AM
That would be one of the all-time most one-sided trades in history. A clutch player like Law for a routine choker like Ridnour (not to mention that Law will be on a cheap rookie contract for 4 years).

Law is a scorer, not a distributor. Hawks don't need another scoring guard or scoring option.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 08:21 AM
I didn't realize the 11 was so cheap.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Jack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ridenour. If Knight does this deal, I think it will ultimately be the final cause of his firing.

Hawks were looking at Jack too, but his numbers don't indicate that he's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> much better than Ridnour.

Oh, and Knight won't get fired unless the ownership situation takes a drastic turn and the current ownership group is bought out.

Living in the area, I've long wished for Knight to get fired....but it ain't gonna happen.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 08:25 AM
I didn't realize the 11 was so cheap.

Has to do with need. Most of what will likely be available at #11 are SGs and SFs....which the Hawks don't need.

If I were them though, I'd try to snag Marcus Camby from the Nuggets for #11.

BeerIsGood!
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Shit, why not offer Beno + Barry + Scola for the #11. A passing (sometimes) PG, SG expiring contract, and the best European PF.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Shit, why not offer Beno + Barry + Scola for the #11. A passing (sometimes) PG, SG expiring contract, and the best European PF.

Hawks don't need a skilled PF or a SG w/ expiring contract....they need a legitimate Center and a starting pass-first PG (they have enough backups).

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Only thing I can figure is Sacramento will take Law at 10. Otherwise this is all stupid.

picnroll
06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Hawks don't need a skilled PF or a SG w/ expiring contract....they need a legitimate Center and a starting pass-first PG (they have enough backups).
Mo Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ridnour and he won't cost the Hawks a lottery pick. Knight is too stupid to breathe.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Mo Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ridnour and he won't cost the Hawks a lottery pick. Knight is too stupid to breathe.

It would actually have to be a S&T, because the Hawks are far enough under the cap to make him an offer significantly higher than the MLE.

But I totally agree with you on point #2.

td4mvp21
06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Interesting. Isn't there a rumor that Amare could be a Hawk? That gives them Joe Johnson, Ridnour, and Amare, if all these rumors are true. That's not a bad team.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Interesting. Isn't there a rumor that Amare could be a Hawk? That gives them Joe Johnson, Ridnour, and Amare, if all these rumors are true. That's not a bad team.

If Amare were to be a Hawk (a rumor that sounds so good to be true that I automatically dismiss it), it would likely take both the #3 and #11 picks.

But at least then the Hawks would have a legitimate C prospect....

Lonestar
06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Being a Spurs fan in the Seattle area I'm glad to see Presti moving forward and showing some "cojones". The Sonics organization, much like every other organization in this state, needs to grow a pair, make some sound choices and move forward with some purpose. Bring on PJ and let's see them start building an organization that we can proudly call Spurs Northwest! (which is fine by me as long as the real Spurs keep kicking the crap out em).

This town will never be SA but opening up a Bill Millers and somebody selling some decent breakfast tacos would sure help.

MoSpur
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I think if the deal gets done, the Sonics will address the needs of a SF since Lewis is out the door. They have Watson. I don't think they'd use their 11th pick on another PG. That's what I think at least.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I think if the deal gets done, the Sonics will address the needs of a SF since Lewis is out the door. They have Watson. I don't think they'd use their 11th pick on another PG. That's what I think at least.

Agreed....

Any one of the following could be available at #11:

Corey Brewer
Jeff Green
Al Thornton
Julian Wright
Thaddeus Young

They could then take one of Zabian Dowdell, Taurean Green, Ramon Sessions, etc...with either of their top second rounders (#31 & #35) to back up Watson, who would be the new starter.

Then, if they let Lewis go, they could make a play for someone else...

MoSpur
06-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I wish Presti the best.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Random thought. Between the #28 and #33 plus Barry and Beno's expiring contracts the Spurs could be active on draft night. Now that they know Finley is coming back Barry is free to be moved. He's still a name and for a team looking for a shooter he could be attractive. Plus his salary isn't that bad (~$5 mil).

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Now that teams are considering crap decisions like trading a perfectly good #11 pick for a suspect fantasy guy like Luke Ridnour, maybe Barry is worth at least 10-15 places in the draft.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Now that teams are considering crap decisions like trading a perfectly good #11 pick for a suspect fantasy guy like Luke Ridnour, maybe Barry is worth at least 10-15 places in the draft.

Spurs could offer a team an expiring contract and a low 1st/high 2nd pick (or both). Beno's obviously not in the Spurs' future and neither is Barry, IMO. As has been covered in here, the Spurs have a fairly full roster as it is. The only catch is that I haven't seen the Spurs linked to any workouts of talent likely to go in the mid-teens.

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
That would be unreal if you could take the 28 Barry and Udrih and turn it into a top 14 pick.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
In that article it references other deals on the table....

Another one was that the Warriors were considering sending Monta Ellis (yes, this year's most improved player) for the #11 pick. I'm guessing that Jack has been discussed, and I wouldn't be suprised if the Hawks looked at Devin Harris either.

Barry only gets you the #11 if a team is in dire need of shooters and there's not one readily available at that spot.

Case in point....if Utah was in the teens, I bet the Spurs could trade Barry to them, because they're in dire need of a shooter and there's not really a pure shooter in the first half of the draft.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
The only catch is that I haven't seen the Spurs linked to any workouts of talent likely to go in the mid-teens.

I'd imagine that we are only aware of about 5% of people who work out for the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
That would be unreal if you could take the 28 Barry and Udrih and turn it into a top 14 pick.

To do that you'd likely have to take back an unattractive contract.

MoSpur
I think Beno, #28, and #33 could get the Spurs a higher pick. Maybe not top 15, but closer to get that long 3.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd imagine that we are only aware of about 5% of people who work out for the Spurs.

Yeah, but as much as we hear about who else the Spurs have worked out you would think if they were looking at mid-1st round talent that a name would leak out as it has with the other guys they've had in.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 01:32 PM
The Spurs were just going to trade out of the first round (via Cavs); now they're looking to trade up?

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I think Beno, #28, and #33 could get the Spurs a higher pick. Maybe not top 15, but closer to get that long 3.

Spurs are reportedly thinking about trading out of the first round....not higher up into the first round.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Spurs are reportedly thinking about trading out of the first round....not higher up into the first round.

A rumor started in a sub-marginal hoops website.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Just speculating. Trading out for a future pick is still much more likely. They could also move Barry along with the #28 for someone who addresses a need.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:36 PM

It fits with their history as well as their current situation. There's not a lot of room as it is.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't think Finley disclosing his intent to remain a Spur before the draft was coincidence.

Vito Corleone
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
If Presi is cleaning house, the big question isn't what they will do with Ridnour but what they will do with Ray Allen. He is a 2nd tier all-star that could make a huge splash with the right team. Allen and Dirk would make Dallas a really tough team to beat. Hell, If minnie decides they can't get value for Garnette they could offer the 7th pick for Ray, making them an instant contender over the next 2 years.