PDA

View Full Version : New Trade Proposal - KG to Suns? Amare to Hawks?

Gino20
06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
On ESPN News, there will be breaking news regarding a new trade proposal between the Celtics, Wolvs, and Suns right now!

Gino20
06-26-2007, 09:45 PM
This proposal is still in the works, but this is what it is thus far:

Suns: get KG
Celtics: get Marion
Wolves: get 5th pick in the draft

There will obviously be other players involved like Kurt Thomas and stuff...It really comes down to Marion signing an extensions with the Celtics. He has stated that he has no intention to resign. However, the Suns are persuading him to do it. So far, this move sucks for the Wolves I think!!!

MrChug
06-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Wolves get the Al Jefferson the #5 pick and Troy Hudson.
Celts get Shawn Marion and #7 pick.
Suns get KG.

Just kidding, I'm guessing but I'm probably not too far off.

Findog
06-26-2007, 09:51 PM
The Wolves are not going to take the #5 pick only for KG. Not when the Mavs are offering a package centered around Howard. Minny wants a combination of promising young players, picks and expiring contracts. I only see one of those elements present.

Gino20
06-26-2007, 09:54 PM
The Wolves are not going to take the #5 pick only for KG. Not when the Mavs are offering a package centered around Howard. Minny wants a combination of promising young players, picks and expiring contracts. I only see one of those elements present.

I agree...if the Wolves dont get a player like Amare, I dont see this happening. It was just reported by Jim Gray...I also dont think Marion would resign in Boston, especially if Pierce goes....

dbreiden83080
06-26-2007, 09:56 PM
I agree...if the Wolves dont get a player like Amare, I dont see this happening. It was just reported by Jim Gray...I also dont think Marion would resign in Boston, especially if Pierce goes....

Marion is not going to resign in Boston they can forget that. Suns had better face up to the fact that if they want KG Amare has got to go. Plus Marion for the 5th pick he is not worth that, not even close. Bowen kicks his ass every year in the playoffs. If Ainge wants to get fired he would do that deal and lose the 5th pick.

picnroll
06-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Bird, McHale and Ainge made a hell of a team but they are the all time worst GMs. Billy Knight should have played for the Celtics to complete the quartet.

spursreport
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Howard alone wont be enough. Croshere and Stack wont cut it either. Better add in Harris and possibly Ager or the Mavs wont come anywhere near close to improving their chances of landing KG. That deal still doesnt do wonders for the Mavs. You now have 2 stars who arent clutch and arent leaders. Plus KG would rather play with Nash than Dirk.

dbreiden83080
06-26-2007, 10:16 PM
So they just said this depends on Marion signing an extension Ainge needs brain surgery. How is he worth giving up your 5th pick for? so you can keep Pierce happy. Pierce is not a big time player Danny, trade him for more picks you idiot.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 10:16 PM
The Wolves are not going to take the #5 pick only for KG. Not when the Mavs are offering a package centered around Howard. Minny wants a combination of promising young players, picks and expiring contracts. I only see one of those elements present.Looks like #5, Ratliff and some other player like Al Jefferson.

Findog
06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Howard alone wont be enough. Croshere and Stack wont cut it either. Better add in Harris and possibly Ager or the Mavs wont come anywhere near close to improving their chances of landing KG. That deal still doesnt do wonders for the Mavs. You now have 2 stars who arent clutch and arent leaders. Plus KG would rather play with Nash than Dirk.

Considering how much they want for a guy on the books next year for $25 mil, I'm not interested.

monosylab1k
06-26-2007, 10:26 PM
where is james jones in these talks? i'm not sure how a super talent that is supposed to net Phoenix a top-10 pick isn't in high demand during these trade talks.

mFFL03
06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
can we please not give the Suns more ammo....f'ing idiots

StylisticS
06-26-2007, 10:43 PM
from a poster on Dallas-Mavs.com

Phoenix Trades : Shawn Marion, Kurt Thomas, #24, Atlanta's 1st rounder,
Phoenix Recieves : Kevin Garnett

Boston Trades : Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, #5 pick, Minnesota's future first
Boston Receives : Shawn Marion

Minnesota Trades : Kevin Garnett
Minnesota Recieves : Theo Ratliff (exp), Kurt Thomas (exp), Sebastian Telfair (exp), Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, #5, #24, Atlanta's future 1st, Minnesota's future first

oh wow Boston. Ainge needs to be fuckin fired if this goes down.

ducks
06-26-2007, 10:52 PM
spurs still own suns

td4mvp3
06-26-2007, 11:02 PM

Boston Trades : Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, #5 pick, Minnesota's future first

Minnesota Recieves : Theo Ratliff (exp), Kurt Thomas (exp), Sebastian Telfair (exp), Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, #5, #24, Atlanta's future 1st, Minnesota's future first

minny doesn't come out too well with that either. betting so much on the draft when those players usually take years to develop if ever is putting a lot in the air.

monosylab1k
06-26-2007, 11:03 PM

WOW there's no way that can be true. Boston would be absolutely fuckin stupid to do that. Marion would never re-sign because that team would be 2x worse than it is right now.

dbreiden83080
06-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Marion would be nuts to resign there. His best option if i was his agent i would tell him to say no play out your last year in Phoenix and then you can sign for probably the same money with a contender. This is a lousy deal for the Cletics and a dumb move on Marion's part if he agrees.

monosylab1k
06-26-2007, 11:21 PM
If the Suns do manage to acquire Garnett and don't get fleeced in the process (which hey, they're dealing with McHale and Ainge - there's no doubt they'll get the best of those dumbfucks).....the Mavericks MUST make a push for Kobe.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
So Phoenix would give up Marion and Thomas for KG? Go ahead.

Xylus
06-27-2007, 12:26 AM
So basically our frontcourt would consist of Amare, KG, Boris Diaw, and.......Pat Burke? We're going to need more depth than that, Jesus.

Assuming that the Suns sign Grant Hill, would this be our new starting lineup?

Nash
Bell
Hill
Amare
Garnett

With Diaw, Barbosa, and James Jones (or the 8th pick) coming off the bench. I was hoping we'd be able to keep Kurt Thomas somehow, but if it means picking up KG...

Shred
06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Marion would be nuts to resign there. His best option if i was his agent i would tell him to say no play out your last year in Phoenix and then you can sign for probably the same money with a contender. This is a lousy deal for the Cletics and a dumb move on Marion's part if he agrees.

He'd be much better off in Phoenix where everyone would know he cost them a shot at Garnett?

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 06:34 AM
The trade talk actually includes Amare now...

Garnett talks now include Suns' Stoudemire and third team
By Chad Ford and Marc Stein
ESPN.com

There was a growing sentiment around the league Tuesday night that the Kevin Garnett sweepstakes are nearing a conclusion and that the Phoenix Suns are the most likely winners, with two trade scenarios emerging that could potentially land Garnett in the desert by draft night.

With the Los Angeles Lakers' attempts to construct a multi-team deal or a direct trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves collapsing, ESPN's Jim Gray reports that talk of a potential three-team trade that would involve Minnesota, Boston and Phoenix has been rekindled, in which the primary cost to the Suns would be All-Star forward Shawn Marion moving to the Celtics.

Yet an even bigger trade concept, ESPN.com has learned, was hatched Tuesday by the Wolves, in which Phoenix would likely be asked to trade away the player it has been trying not to trade, All-NBA center Amare Stoudemire, who would go to the Atlanta Hawks.

Either way, indications from various NBA front-office sources suggest that Garnett being moved in conjunction with Thursday's draft looks more likely than ever before, with the Suns -- identified by ESPN.com last week as KG's first choice for a new home -- in prime position to make the big score.

In the scenario reported by Gray, Garnett would go to Phoenix, Boston would land Marion and the Wolves would receive a package featuring the No. 5 overall pick in Thursday's draft along with undisclosed players from the Celtics and Suns.

The key stumbling block for Boston would be Marion's reluctance to play for the Celtics, which sources say was conveyed to both teams last week when the idea of a three-team trade involving these clubs was first made public. With Marion possessing the right to opt out of his contract after next season and become a free agent in July 2008, Boston would undoubtedly be seeking assurances from Marion's camp that he's interested in signing an extension with the Celtics, even though league rules technically would preclude such negotiations until after July 1 (and after the trade).

Another possible stumbling block: Minnesota, sources say, has been adamant that any trade with Boston would include Al Jefferson. The Celtics, in turn, are willing to part with Jefferson only if they're the team that gets Garnett. It remains to be seen if either side softens its stance in the final hours before the draft.

In the newer trade scenario, sources say, Minnesota is looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Suns. To participate, Atlanta wants Stoudemire from Phoenix.

Such a trade would hold significantly greater appeal to Minnesota than any Celtics' offer that didn't include Jefferson. The Hawks, meanwhile, would be able to reunite Stoudemire with ex-Suns teammate Joe Johnson and immediately field a promising big-and-small core to build around and make Atlanta competitive, given the current state of the Eastern Conference.

The Suns, though, are understandably reluctant to part with Stoudemire after he made the All-NBA first team in what appears to be the most successful comeback from microfracture knee surgery that the NBA has ever witnessed.

The Lakers, meanwhile, haven't abandoned all hope of partnering Garnett with the increasingly frustrated Kobe Bryant just yet. Another concept in circulation Tuesday raised the possibility of a multi-team trade in which the Indiana Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal would go to Atlanta, with Lakers forward Lamar Odom and young center Andrew Bynum heading to the Pacers. That package, at worst, would send the No. 3 pick in the draft to Minnesota as the main payoff for Garnett.

But the Suns increasingly look like the favorites, given that Phoenix is Garnett's preferred destination if he has to leave the only NBA city he has ever known and with the Suns clearly possessing more trade assets. The Wolves are looking for a combination of high draft picks, top young talent and expiring contracts to provide cap relief. The Lakers don't have a draft pick higher than No. 19 to offer and Minnesota, sources say, is not interested in Odom because of the two years and nearly $28 million left on the lanky lefty's contract.

It's believed that the Suns will continue trying to keep Stoudemire out of any deal, but sources say that the athletically gifted 24-year-old is not untouchable -- not with the Wolves having finally made the philosophical commitment to end the Garnett Era after years of speculation and with Phoenix feeling as though there is no better player it could acquire to counter San Antonio's Tim Duncan, who is seen as the Suns' biggest obstacle to getting out of the Western Conference playoffs.

Sources say Minnesota, furthermore, clearly hopes to complete a Garnett trade before the draft begins in hopes of securing a pick in first half of the lottery to go with its own No. 7 selection. The fact that Wolves owner Glen Taylor left the country for China on Tuesday afternoon for his honeymoon doesn't appear to have slowed the Wolves down at all.

Yet it remains to be seen if the Hawks, who have been notoriously reluctant to make roster moves of any sort for months because of their uncertain ownership situation, will actually commit to join in on a trade of this magnitude.

In any case, it's a trade that, even without completion, has seemingly eclipsed one of the most anticipated drafts in years.

Shred
06-27-2007, 06:37 AM
The trade talk actually includes Amare now...

It always did, but it ain't gonna happen that way, if it happens at all.

johngateswhiteley
06-27-2007, 07:19 AM
...i was skeptical of anything really happening with KG, but it appears he really will be traded this off season, crazy. though, i can't imagine Amare not going somewhere if KG is traded.

as for Kobe....fuck, who the hell knows.

Leetonidas
06-27-2007, 07:21 AM
This is getting nuts. Boston is going to be the fucking laughing stock and Danny Ainge should be drawn and quartered if this shit happens.

Armando
06-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Hopefully Ainge agrees to the Marion deal. (Would not shock me if he did.) Personally I hope the Suns keep Amare. If to see what a frontcourt of Garnett/Stoudemire can do in the playoffs.

Armando
06-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Although if Amare goes to Atlanta it will be a great thing for the East. You will have Shaq, Dwight Howard and Amare in the same division playing against each other 4 times a year.

MadDog73
06-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Although if Amare goes to Atlanta it will be a great thing for the East. You will have Shaq, Dwight Howard and Amare in the same division playing against each other 4 times a year.

Sarcasm? Watching Mavs, Suns and Spurs will still be more exciting.

Cut it anyway you like, the three best teams in the NBA are in the West.

Armando
06-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Sarcasm? Watching Mavs, Suns and Spurs will still be more exciting.

Cut it anyway you like, the three best teams in the NBA are in the West.

True but Amare if he goes to the Hawks given how bad the Easti s he will at least get the Hawks to the playoffs. Now what I don't get about this trade is why the Hawks will even do the trade. Stoudemire did not get along with Johnson in Phoenix why will Atlanta be any different? I would think the Marion to Boston trade is the better one. If the Suns trade Amare for KG then they have not done anything to get past the Spurs. Putting Amare and KG together gives them a better chance to get past the Spurs then trading Amare for KG.

MadDog73
06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Putting Amare and KG together gives them a better chance to get past the Spurs then trading Amare for KG.

True, but why would the Wolves trade KG for a number 5 pick?

Armando
06-27-2007, 09:06 AM
True, but why would the Wolves trade KG for a number 5 pick?

My guess is they are trying to rebuild and are cutting thier losses. Besides with McHale who knows..

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
There's added incentive for Marion to go East. He'll no longer be "underrated" ... he'll be praised for his defense, rebounding, stats and will probably garner more votes for his defensive ability.

Phenomanul
06-27-2007, 11:27 AM
There's added incentive for Marion to go East. He'll no longer be "underrated" ... he'll be praised for his defense, rebounding, stats and will probably garner more votes for his defensive ability.

Nash >>>>> Delonte West

That's probably Marion's point of contention.... no more freebies.

That and of course the fact that Boston is not considered a contender.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Marion averaged 20-10-2-1 for the three seasons without Kidd and Nash. Slow, deliberate, ball dominating Marbury and ayoung, out-of-control Barbosa were the PGs for those three years. If he can average 20-10-2s-1b back then in a 95 ppg team pace, then I'm sure he can average similar now.

monosylab1k
06-27-2007, 12:46 PM
It's just shocking that James Jones still hasn't surfaced in these discussions. If I were Minnesota I'd demand an incredible talent like that be a part of the trade.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
It's just shocking that James Jones still hasn't surfaced in these discussions. If I were Minnesota I'd demand an incredible talent like that be a part of the trade.

No kidding...

Xylus
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
This joke wasn't funny the first time you used it.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
It was funny the first time.

monosylab1k
06-27-2007, 01:07 PM
This joke wasn't funny the first time you used it.

It's not a joke. I've been told that legitimate trade rumors have James Jones and 2 late first rounders netting a top-10 pick. The person who reported it has been at this forum longer than me, so he must know what he's talking about. If James Jones has that type of trade value, then I'm shocked Minnesota wouldn't want him. That's all. Is what I'm saying the joke, or is the joke that discussion-worthy trade rumor? If you don't like it then don't click it.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Now it's not funny.

DudleyDawson
06-27-2007, 02:01 PM
KG won't make the Suns any better. Stoudamire has like a 35 point average against Duncan in the playoffs. KG wont give you that kind of production.

Tippecanoe
06-27-2007, 02:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnaMX71LYocL2k0ImFm.6a45nYcB?slug=aw-nbadraft062707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

NEW YORK – Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

ADVERTISEMENT
The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the national NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Tippecanoe
06-27-2007, 02:04 PM
folks, this one might actually happen

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 02:09 PM
That's actually a pretty decent deal for everybody.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Sorry but I missed this part (separate from the KG deal)... who are the Suns trying to trade to the Bobcats to get #8?

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:14 PM
That's actually a pretty decent deal for everybody.

I'd think that the Suns might get something besides KG in return, and also we'd probably throw Marcus Banks in (considering we're desperate to get rid of him and that Hawks need a poitn guard).

mardigan
06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Something about Kurt Thomas, the #24, and future considerations

But I also read that it wasnt likely

Slinkyman
06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Sorry but I missed this part (separate from the KG deal)... who are the Suns trying to trade to the Bobcats to get #8?

i read Kurt Thomas and the 24th.

wow, in that deal minny gets 2 lottery picks plus the one they already have! damn good trade for them, better then lamar odem! :lol

Tippecanoe
06-27-2007, 02:16 PM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92272

this source claims kurt thomas + suns first round (24th) for bobcats first round (8th). but i doubt that's gonna happen

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92272

this source claims kurt thomas + suns first round for bobcats first round. but i doubt that's gonna happen

I think that it's both of our first rounders and ATL's next year.

Tippecanoe
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I think that it's both of our first rounders and ATL's next year.

that makes more sense. thank you. :toast

monosylab1k
06-27-2007, 02:20 PM
KG & Marion scares me alot more than KG & Amare did.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:24 PM
KG & Marion scares me alot more than KG & Amare did.

Yeah, without Marion, you'd have to put Nash on a good perimeter player in most cases. Nash just doesn't have the athleticism to stay with those guys, and I'd be much happier if we can keep him on the Bruce Bowens of the world.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Suns are a mess if that trade goes through. To make salaries match they'll either be packaging Banks and Jones, which I'd love, or more than likely, Thomas, which mean they trade both their centers. They also will still be in CAP hell, and won't have a high enough pick to grab an immediate impact center.

I like have the option of Marion on Parker, Bell on Manu and Garnett on Duncan, but I'd like it much better if Thomas and Diaw were available off the bench. Not sure that's going to be the case.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered my question, I could have just looked it up myself. But hey, why leave SpursTalk. :lol

Supergirl
06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhiYaoz_iC8BzS5XsC9yC0u8vLYF?slug=aw-nbadraft062707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Even if the Wolves are trying to rebuild, I fail to see why they would accept so LITTLE (2 scrubs and a couple draft picks????) for a franchise player they will not ever see again in Kevin McHale's lifetime.

Trading him to the Lakers for Bynum and Odom would make more sense, and even that seems like too little. If this deal goes down, it will be the biggest disaster for any NBA franchise in NBA history. At least the Lakers got SOMETHING when they traded Shaq. The TWolves will be getting raped on this deal.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 02:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhiYaoz_iC8BzS5XsC9yC0u8vLYF?slug=aw-nbadraft062707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Even if the Wolves are trying to rebuild, I fail to see why they would accept so LITTLE (2 scrubs and a couple draft picks????) for a franchise player they will not ever see again in Kevin McHale's lifetime.

Trading him to the Lakers for Bynum and Odom would make more sense, and even that seems like too little. If this deal goes down, it will be the biggest disaster for any NBA franchise in NBA history. At least the Lakers got SOMETHING when they traded Shaq. The TWolves will be getting raped on this deal.

Because they take Al Horford with the number 3 pick, who is going to be a freakin monster in the league. (Plus they get rid of KG and his salary)

monosylab1k
06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Atlanta would look great too.

PG - Banks
SG - Joe Johnson
SF - Josh Smith
PF - Marvin Williams
C - Amare

Atlanta would be a playoff team no doubt. Athleticism out the ass. They could outrun Phoenix. Not a lick of basketball IQ tho.

confined
06-27-2007, 02:34 PM

so they trade and all nba 1st team center for an all nba 2nd team power forward?

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Atlanta would look great too.

PG - Banks
SG - Joe Johnson
SF - Josh Smith
PF - Marvin Williams
C - Amare

Atlanta would be a playoff team no doubt. Athleticism out the ass. They could outrun Phoenix. Not a lick of basketball IQ tho.

I would think that Atlanta would be sending Marvin Williams to Minny (who Minny is supposedly high on). But really that's not a big loss. That lineup would be great for a team like Atlanta that is struggling for popularity. It would be really exciting and generate alot of interest, not to mention a top four seed in the East.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 02:35 PM

If you're rebuilding, you want any combination of: 1. multiple 1st round picks, perferably some lottery, 2. instant CAP relief, or 3. young, rookie-scale players with big potential.

The Lakers deal didn't really offer any of that, unless you count Bynum as a potential All-Star. Odom is long-term and expensive, the pick being thrown in was #19 overall, so hardly worth being the ONLY pick, and Bynum has a limited ceiling because of some physical limitations (has small hands) and mental limitations (isn't exactly basketball smart).

However, there are issues with salaries matching as the Suns would be trading 20 million, the Timberwolves 22 million and the Hawks just 7 million in salary. They aren't that far under the CAP that they can get away with that.

Yeah, they are only receiving 12 million, but they'll need to throw in another four or five million to make things work for the other teams because as it stands, Minnesota is trading 22 and only receiving 15. That doesn't work.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:36 PM
so they trade and all nba 1st team center for an all nba 2nd team power forward?

The All NBA 2nd team power forward is also a much better player than that All NBA 1st team center.

Xylus
06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Of all the teams we could send Amare to, why the FUCK are we sending him to Atlanta? We want Atlanta to be the worst team in the league this year, so we get a good pick in next year's draft.

mardigan
06-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Amare won it by default, Yao missed to many games.

And btw, what the fuck are the Lakers doing trading for J O'Neal, thye really think that will get Kobe back?

monosylab1k
Of all the teams we could send Amare to, why the FUCK are we sending him to Atlanta? We want Atlanta to be the worst team in the league this year, so we get a good pick in next year's draft.

Not if you're trading away that pick.

Supergirl
Because they take Al Horford with the number 3 pick, who is going to be a freakin monster in the league. (Plus they get rid of KG and his salary)

But that's not gonna get them a championship for at least 5 years.

I guess they are just officially throwing away the last decade, if this trade goes through. Seems kind of sad, but hey. Maybe they figure it's their best option.

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM

Horford is a nice player, but he is not as good a player as KG.
I can't see him putting up the kind of numbers KG put up.

If it was for Stoudamire, I would understand it. Amare has youth and can get it done, on offense at least.

Horford is only about 6'10". And most players who are undersized power forwards aren't going to dominate the league. Brand is an exception.

Horford is smart, has pretty good handles, moves pretty well defending high pick and rolls for a big, and has some good low post moves.

But let's not make him out to be a future mvp of the league, like KG was.

A perenial 20-10 guy with 2.5 blocks or better per game.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
But that's not gonna get them a championship for at least 5 years.

I guess they are just officially throwing away the last decade, if this trade goes through. Seems kind of sad, but hey. Maybe they figure it's their best option.

Well at least it's time a franchise takes a chance. I'm tired of all these GMs just standing pat. We got to shake things up.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM

If it was for Stoudamire, I would understand it. Amare has youth and can get it done, on offense at least.

Horford is only about 6'10". And most players who are undersized power forwards aren't going to dominate the league. Brand is an exception.

Horford is smart, has pretty good handles, moves pretty well defending high pick and rolls for a big, and has some good low post moves.

Did I miss something here? Since when is 6'10" undersized for a power forward? Amare is only 6'10".

mardigan
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM

6 '10 is a perfect height for a pf, and the guy is big and strong. Have you seen him play? He is a freaking monster, he could very well put up similar numbers to a guy like KG at some point, especially with his passing out of the post skills, he is going to be a good one

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:43 PM
6 '10 is a perfect height for a pf, and the guy is big and strong. Have you seen him play? He is a freaking monster, he could very well put up similar numbers to a guy like KG at some point, especially with his passing out of the post skills, he is going to be a good one

I think that he could be alot like Boozer (except taller).

monosylab1k
06-27-2007, 02:44 PM

I'd rather Atlanta take Horford and Acie Law....but I don't see how you can pass up a chance for Amare.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd rather Atlanta take Horford and Acie Law....but I don't see how you can pass up a chance for Amare.

Amare puts asses in the seats. Not so much for Law and Horford. Plus, it's not like there's a huge difference in talent.

mardigan
06-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I think that he could be alot like Boozer (except taller).
I think the Elton Brand comparison is a good one myself, except a lot taller as well. his jump shot almost looks like Brands

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 02:49 PM

I watched him play a lot.

He may, in reality, be 6'9'. He seems noticeably shorter than Noah who is 6'11".

He is a good passer. But for a low post player like Horford, 6'11' would be much better.

For example, his height would hurt him trying to guard Tim Duncan in the post. Trying to guard Oden on a consistent basis (without the constant help of his teammates) would be difficult for him.

Stoudamire, despite his quickness and athleticism, has trouble and he is about the same height. Horford isn't nearly as athletic or quick as Stoudamire.

Maybe I am wrong, but he seems like a 16 or 17 point 8 rebound a game guy to me.

KG was a 23 point 12 rebound a game player.

There's a difference between good and great.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 02:52 PM

I didn't say he was going to be an MVP or as good as KG. And a little under 6'9 is the average size of a PF in the NBA these days. Brand is about 6'6 - he's undersized for a PF. 6'10 isn't undersized.

*Horford is 6'9 3/4 with shoes.

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 02:55 PM
It's a perfect trade for the Hawks, especially since their management is actually arguing on who to take Horford or that Chinese Player...!
With Amare and Joe Johnson, the Hawks can finally contend for a playoff spot and If josh Smith keeps improving they can actually pretty damn decent! Too bad they didn't take Chris Paul or D Williams now that would be on scary lineup.

Is there still a chance that Marvin Williams pick by them will turn out to be justified? Sure doesn't look like it.

mardigan
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but he seems like a 16 or 17 point 8 rebound a game guy to me.

KG was a 23 point 12 rebound a game player.

There's a difference between good and great.
He is a better scorer in the paint than KG, one of the reasons he will be a pretty good scorer. As his jump shot develops, he will become a very dangerous player in the post. Yea, he might not have the athleticism of Amare, or the height of Tim, but niether do Randolph, Brand or Boozer, and they do alright

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I didn't say he was going to be an MVP or as good as KG. And a little under 6'9 is the average size of a PF in the NBA these days. Brand is about 6'6 - he's undersized for a PF. 6'10 isn't undersized.

Okay. So, I guess you are saying that it is not as bad as it looks to lose KG.

They won't be as good as they were before with KG, but they won't be that far below what they were.

And they can use the money to build their team.

And I can see the logic of that.

And I think Horford will be a really good player, as you were saying.

So, maybe we didn't really disagree, we were just looking at it from different angles.

:fro

monosylab1k
Is there still a chance that Marvin Williams pick by them will turn out to be justified? Sure doesn't look like it.

Marvin Williams is developing well. He was a "project" player when drafted and nobody expected him to have a great rookie year. The way Chris Paul exploded made people forget that.

I think in time Atlanta will be happy with taking Marvin Williams over Chris Paul.

Kori Ellis
For example, his height would hurt him trying to guard Tim Duncan in the post. Trying to guard Oden on a consistent basis (without the constant help of his teammates) would be difficult for him.

Everyone will have trouble guarding Duncan

But he's only about 6'10 1/2 himself.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 03:00 PM

They won't be as good as they were before with KG, but they won't be that far below what they were.

So, maybe we didn't really disagree, we were just looking at it from different angles.

:fro

I'm saying it's not bad at all to lose KG who is miserable and aging to get the number 3 and number 11 pick in an awesome draft.

da_suns_fan__
06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Im not impressed by Horford at all..he's much closer to Ike Diogu than Elton Brand.

Not a lot of explosiveness to say the least.

bookmark this page...horford won't do much in this league.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 03:02 PM

:froMinnesota already sucks with KG.

Now they can suck without paying KG.

monosylab1k
06-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Im not impressed by Horford at all..he's much closer to Ike Diogu than Elton Brand.

?

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Minnesota already sucks with KG.

Now they can suck without paying KG.

Good point.

:bang

Spurs Brazil
Phoenix, Atlanta, Minnesota Three-Way Close?
June 27, 2007 - 3:53 pm
Yahoo! -
Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks , league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade. [READ]

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46747/20070627/phoenix_atlanta_minnesota_three_way_close/

Kori Ellis

I think he will average about 18 and 8 and play good defense within a couple years. Is that considered not doing much?

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I think he will average about 18 and 8 and play good defense within a couple years. Is that considered not doing much?

And that was about my estimate.

But since you say it, Kori, it is more authoritative because you actually know what you are talking about.

:elephant

Supergirl
06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I think the reason why this trade seem demoralizing (and I am guessing will FEEL demoralizing) for the Wolves is that they trade away their franchise player and get a prospect who MAY turn out to be very good...but that's a big maybe (who knows: injuries, stupid decisions, life changes, etc - no one can predict) and even if he does, no way will Horford ever be the kind of franchise player that KG is, or that TD is. No way is Randolph, Brand, or Boozer that kind of player, either.

And while that maybe be OK, in the long run (again, there's a lot of ifs before we know that), I can't help thinking that Minnesota fans are going to leave this whole deal feeling really, really crappy about their team. I can't IMAGINE how SA fans would have adjusted if TD had walked. Losing David to retirement was hard enough.

But, this may just be the best option out there, if the Wolves management have decided they're never going to be able to get enough talent to surround KG.

Atlanta looks like they make out like bandits on this deal.

Phoenix - we'll see. Who else do they have to give up - that's a big if. And can KG and Nash fare any better than Stoudemire and Nash? I predict possible chemistry problems. KG is used to being the Man, and has a history of being pretty hard on his teammates. Nash is the Man on the Suns, and runs his team very differently than KG.

da_suns_fan__
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Definately not an all-star then right?

For the number three pick? I would say so.

Kori Ellis
I think Minnesota fans will be happy. They will have some hope to have cap space in the future to try to build and they aren't winning now with KG anyway.

kingsfan
I love the idea of Amare in Atl. They can't draft worth a shit and they know what their getting with him. They still need a PG but they can trade for that.
I'd get to see Amare play a lot http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/hungry.gif

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Definately not an all-star then right?

For the number three pick? I would say so.

All Star maybe once or twice.

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
So, does this make Phoenix more of a threat to us?

It appears to me that it does.

Also, Can KG guard Dirk?

Prior to the trade, I felt that Phoenix was the better small ball team and thus Dallas was very, very unlikely to win a 7 game series against Phoenix.

As Dirk defenders go, Marion did as good a job as anybody.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
It's going to be funny to see how KG meshes with that whiny bitch Marion.

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:13 PM
It's going to be funny to see how KG meshes with that whiny bitch Marion.

So, Marion stays put.

I am confused.

Minnesota trades KG and gets #3 and #11
Atlanta trades picks 3 and 11 and gets Stoudamire
Phoenix trades Stoudamire and gets KG.

Am I even close?

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
So, Marion stays put.

I am confused.

Minnesota trades KG and gets #3 and #11
Atlanta trades picks 3 and 11 and gets Stoudamire
Phoenix trades Stoudamire and gets KG.

Am I even close?

Well it's not a done deal yet but the latest was

Pachulia, some other scrub, #3 and #11 to Minny
Stoudemire to Atlanta
KG to Phoenix

But I'm sure there are a couple other small things (like one more player leaving Phoenix) to make it all work.

da_suns_fan__
06-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Well it's not a done deal yet but the latest was

Pachulia, some other scrub, #3 and #11 to Minny
Stoudemire to Atlanta
KG to Phoenix

But I'm sure there are a couple other small things (like one more player leaving Phoenix) to make it all work.

Wow...for an "insider" you sure are clueless.

That deal is dead.

TheNextGen
06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Amare > Kg right now. Suns are dumb to do this trade.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Wow...for an "insider" you sure are clueless.

That deal is dead.

When did I claim to be a Suns insider? I am just reading on Yahoo and ESPN with the rest of you.

dallaskd
06-27-2007, 03:42 PM
If nothing happens by tommorow, this thing is dead.

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:46 PM
If nothing happens by tommorow, this thing is dead.

Did anyone else tell you that or did you figure that out on your own? :lmao

I wonder what major event in the NBA takes place tomorrow?

BTW, If Atlanta picks Horford and whoever else they think Minnesota would have picked at spot number 11, the effect would be the same.

dallaskd
06-27-2007, 03:47 PM
is that funny?

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:49 PM
is that funny?

You are acting like you are the only one who knows that draft day is tomorrow and of course Atlanta's part in the deal involves them trading picks 3 and 11.

So, that strikes me as funny.

I mean I am pretty clueless about this and even I know that since tomorrow is draft day and there would be picks involved in the trade that getting this done by tomorrow is important if it is going to be done at all.

Xylus
06-27-2007, 03:50 PM
According to Gambo, a local sports talk radio host, the Atlanta deal is totally bogus and will not happen. Gambo has very reliable sources in the Suns organization, so I believe him.

He also said that a Marion-to-Boston deal is very unlikely, as well.

I don't think Kevin Garnett is coming to Phoenix, folks.

dallaskd
oh ok :lmao

dallaskd
:lmao :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Supergirl, why would Minnesota be bummed? They get rid of their salary cap albatross from hell, and end up with the 3, 7, and 11 pick in a ridiculously deep draft year, and they get to add those parts to a young stud in Randy Foye.

They would be young, but they could field a lineup of:

Law
Foye
Davis
Horford
Noah

or similar next year, and have cap relief from KG's stupid contract.

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
According to Gambo, a local sports talk radio host, the Atlanta deal is totally bogus and will not happen. Gambo has very reliable sources in the Suns organization, so I believe him.

He also said that a Marion-to-Boston deal is very unlikely, as well.

I don't think Kevin Garnett is coming to Phoenix, folks.

Thanks for the information.

Well I was faked out.

:downspin:

Slinkyman
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
It'd be awesome to see minny pick horford, brewer and noah

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Supergirl, why would Minnesota be bummed? They get rid of their salary cap albatross from hell, and end up with the 3, 7, and 11 pick in a ridiculously deep draft year, and they get to add those parts to a young stud in Randy Foye.

They would be young, but they could field a lineup of:

Law
Foye
Davis
Horford
Noah

or similar next year, and have cap relief from KG's stupid contract.

Does Noah go at 7 or at 11?

Law is a great player.
Adding Horford and Law and Noah would be a significant boost to the team and make them young.

So, there is some upside although losing an mvp in KG is still losing an mvp Kevin Garnett no matter how it is dressed up.

Mavs<Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:56 PM
It'd be awesome to see minny pick horford, brewer and noah

Would you pick Brewer over Law?

Brewer is versatile, a great defensive player, but I like Law even better.

The continuity, no doubt, would be unbelievable.

In my opinion, this Florida team was one of the very, very best to ever be assembled.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I was thinking:

3 - Horford
7 - Noah
11 - Law

I'm taking a swag at Noah at #7, but Horford and Law would be easy picks at those two slots.

IcemanCometh
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Uhm why wouldn't Minnesota just take Amare. Hes worth more than 3 and 11

Slinkyman
06-27-2007, 04:07 PM
I was thinking:

3 - Horford
7 - Noah
11 - Law

I'm taking a swag at Noah at #7, but Horford and Law would be easy picks at those two slots.

i agree with that, brewer probably isn't on the board at 11 anyway. Law and Foye make a good backcourt with Horford and Noah on the front. If only the wolves can dump some of their overpaid scrubs (davis, blount, hudson) they'd have a really good team in 2 to 3 years.

dallaskd
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
the deal aint gonna happen anyway. get over it.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Amare > Kg right now. Suns are dumb to do this trade.

LOL! You do watch basketball right?

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 05:39 PM

If you get KG the big issue with him which you will see is he is not clutch at all. So you had better give the ball to Nash because KG may want it but he won't make the shot.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 05:44 PM
If you get KG the big issue with him which you will see is he is not clutch at all. So you had better give the ball to Nash because KG may want it but he won't make the shot.

KG is fine in the clutch. And as you said, he isn't "the man" on this team. I'd be fine with the way his post season averages have played out for his career, because in the end it will be Nash and not Garnett.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 05:59 PM
What Xylus said. I didn't here Gambo, but I've heard that the Suns never considered any Minny/Atlanta deal that involved Amare. Way too many issues.

As I said, first, it didn't work as reported.

Minny trades Garnett (22 million
Minny receives Thomas (8 million), Pachulia (4 million), Johnson (3 million)

Um, that's a 7 million dollar difference.

Atlanta trades Pachulia (4 million), Johnson (3 million)
Atlanta receives Amare (12 million)

Yeah, that's a 5 million dollar difference.

Basic math and a internet salary page tells you this cannot work as reported.

Plus, then there's the issue of Phoenix trading both it's centers for a PF, with no center on their roster worth a damn, and no ability to add one.

Then there's the issue the Suns helping Atlanta get better when they want the Hawks to crash and burn since they get their 2008 1st no matter where it lands.

Finally, if the Hawks issue isn't an issue because the Suns are including the pick, then there's the "WTF" for Phoenix fans with the Suns trading Amare, Thomas and a 2008 potential lottery pick for GARNETT? Are you freakin' kidding me?

No... just no...

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 06:02 PM
KG is fine in the clutch. And as you said, he isn't "the man" on this team. I'd be fine with the way his post season averages have played out for his career, because in the end it will be Nash and not Garnett.

Sounding less and less likely that you are getting him. According to Bucher the Suns are not pushing this Hawks deal the Wolves are and Marion to the Celtics looks like it is dead. The Lakers should jump back in this at the 11th hour and try to offer them something.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Minny trades Garnett (22 million
Minny receives Thomas (8 million), Pachulia (4 million), Johnson (3 million)

Um, that's a 7 million dollar difference.

Atlanta trades Pachulia (4 million), Johnson (3 million)
Atlanta receives Amare (12 million)

Yeah, that's a 5 million dollar difference.

I'm not saying that the trade is happening, but it wasn't hard to make it work. There was supposedly another player involved from Phoenix that would go to Minny to make that part work. And Atlanta can take back more salary than they trade away because they are under the salary cap.

TheNextGen
06-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Hmmm....24 year old superstar...vs 31 year old superstar. Yah i'd choose the 24 yr old. Its not like Amare is crap.

BTW..post season averages??? I would love to see Amare vs KG post season stats.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Hmmm....24 year old superstar...vs 31 year old superstar. Yah i'd choose the 24 yr old. Its not like Amare is crap.

Plus, he's a 31 year old superstar who started playing NBA ball at 19. So he has the mileage of a 34/35 year old.

PM5K
06-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Plus, he's a 31 year old superstar who started playing NBA ball at 19. So he has the mileage of a 34/35 year old.

Aww come on, Kevin has been VERY durable, with the exception being the 98-99 season....

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Nah KG is fine he will be great for another 3 or 4 years which is the window they need to get a title with Nash being 33.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Sounding less and less likely that you are getting him. According to Bucher the Suns are not pushing this Hawks deal the Wolves are and Marion to the Celtics looks like it is dead. The Lakers should jump back in this at the 11th hour and try to offer them something.

Honestly, I think that odds are that KG is still a T-Wolf. But I'm hoping that he's a Sun.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not saying he's broken down. I'm just saying it's not that horrible for the Wolves to get rid of him. He's been playing 40 mpg for 12 years straight. That's a lot of NBA miles and it's not horrible for the Wolves to try to get younger and build.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Honestly, I think that odds are that KG is still a T-Wolf. But I'm hoping that he's a Sun.

Well Bucher said that he thinks the Haws deal will happen but it sure sounds like the Suns really are conflicted about giving up Amare for KG. The brass is probably fighting about it like crazy as we speak. They were i am sure all giddy at the prospect of Ainge being so dumb he would take just Marion for the 5th pick and help you guys get KG without losing Amare. Looks like even Ainge is not that dumb.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Well Bucher said that he thinks the Haws deal will happen but it sure sounds like the Suns really are conflicted about giving up Amare for KG. The brass is probably fighting about it like crazy as we speak. They were i am sure all giddy at the prospect of Ainge being so dumb he would take just Marion for the 5th pick and help you guys get KG without losing Amare. Looks like even Ainge is not that dumb.

I think they're holding up for something else like Foye or number seven if they give up Amare.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 07:10 PM
I think they're holding up for something else like Foye or number seven if they give up Amare.

Wait they want KG and the 7th pick for Amare. No way in hell you said it yourself KG is better than Amare.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Wait they want KG and the 7th pick for Amare. No way in hell you said it yourself KG is better than Amare.

Exactly. I don't think that Ker wants to trade Amare (who is immensely popular), without getting a sweet deal.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Exactly. I don't think that Ker wants to trade Amare (who is immensely popular), without getting a sweet deal.

You are getting back a better player, that sounds like a pipe dream for the Suns. You give up an inferior player, get back a better one and get a top 10 pick. Throw Marion in there for the pick and we'll talk otherwise no chance.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
You are getting back a better player, that sounds like a pipe dream for the Suns. You give up an inferior player, get back a better one and get a top 10 pick. Throw Marion in there for the pick and we'll talk otherwise no chance.

I know that it's a fair trade. But that's just what I think the Suns are holding out for.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm not saying that the trade is happening, but it wasn't hard to make it work. There was supposedly another player involved from Phoenix that would go to Minny to make that part work. And Atlanta can take back more salary than they trade away because they are under the salary cap.

Why? Phoenix as it was proposed was the only team to match salaries? They give 20 million, receive 22 million. Works! I suppose if the Suns sent Jones or, preferably, Banks, then they'd still work, but Atlanta is the team really screwing this deal up. They are a few million under the CAP, but, as far as I can tell, not so far that they can absorb an extra five to six million.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Well they just said on ESPN that according to the Suns they are not trading Amare so i guess that is it on the KG front.

Bear Grylls
06-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Why? Phoenix as it was proposed was the only team to match salaries? They give 20 million, receive 22 million. Works! I suppose if the Suns sent Jones or, preferably, Banks, then they'd still work, but Atlanta is the team really screwing this deal up. They are a few million under the CAP, but, as far as I can tell, not so far that they can absorb an extra five to six million.

I believe that Atlanta is around $4.7 Million under the cap

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 09:09 PM

I believe I read they are $5M under the cap.

Bear Grylls
06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I believe I read they are $5M under the cap.

NBA 07 Cap was $53.175
Atlanta total salary right now is at $48,421,832

td4mvp3
06-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Well they just said on ESPN that according to the Suns they are not trading Amare so i guess that is it on the KG front.
ric bucher on espn just said talks are still going on. apparently, phoenix wasnt in on the original talks, which rather strange to me.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
The move obviously put them over the CAP, which is how Belkin was able to veto.

Maybe it would have worked, maybe not. Fact is, the Suns weren't trading their two centers and a 2008 1st that could be a top-10 pick for just Garnett.

td4mvp3
06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
The move obviously put them over the CAP, which is how Belkin was able to veto.

Maybe it would have worked, maybe not. Fact is, the Suns weren't trading their two centers and a 2008 1st that could be a top-10 pick for just Garnett.
think you misunderstood me. the talks are allegedly continuing. the deal is not dead, apparently.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 10:44 PM
ric bucher on espn just said talks are still going on. apparently, phoenix wasnt in on the original talks, which rather strange to me.

What do they have to give to the Wolves if they are not trading Amare and Marion is going nowhere? The Suns are not getting KG and keeping Amare i think this whole Hawks debacle proves that. Of course they were in on the talks they were ready to ship Marion to Boston as of yesterday to get KG.

DDS4
06-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Frankly, I'd be shocked if this deal gets carried out.

Hawks front office is too busy bickering with each other.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I've heard from people I trust, that this deal was never considered by Phoenix. They aren't trading Amare to Atlanta, and they certainly aren't parting with Amare, Thomas and 2008's Atlanta pick for Garnett alone. No way.

Kerr isn't stupid. He's not going to get hosed like that. If he trades Amare, it'll be to Boston in a three-way trade. No way they help out the Hawks nor trade that much for just Garnett. I'm baffled why this is still an issue.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Another thing to consider is KG is a good guy who has been a great soldier there. I think he basically feels like if you can get a good deal from the Suns then do it otherwise i will stay. If the Wolves have a better year i am not sold on the idea that he will opt out for sure at the end of the season.

td4mvp3
06-27-2007, 10:58 PM
looks like you're right

Official: Chances for 3-team deal overblown

/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago
Reports the Phoenix Suns were nearing a deal to acquire Kevin Garnett were downplayed Wednesday by an NBA official with knowledge of the situation.
Contrary to several reports, the official told The Associated Press, the sides were not close to a three-team deal that would send Amare Stoudemire to Atlanta and Garnett from Minnesota to Phoenix.

Publicity regarding the Suns' possible acquisition of Garnett had been overblown, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the subject. However, the Timberwolves and Suns have talked about Garnett, the person confirmed.

A more likely scenario would have Phoenix trading up in the order of Thursday's draft, though few teams seem interested in moving down with what's regarded as a deep talent pool available.

Suns officials did not return telephone messages left at their offices on Wednesday, but new general manager Steve Kerr indicated on Tuesday that anything that might happen probably wouldn't occur until Thursday.

"Everything usually comes down to the last minute because everybody's waiting for the home run," Kerr said Tuesday, "and usually no one hits one."

D'Antoni wasn't talking like a coach who expected to lose Stoudemire.

"We can get better with what we have," D'Antoni said, "and we should play better next year. One more year together, Amare's going to get better. We're going to be better. If we can get the end of the bench a little bit better and some of our guys come back ready to roll, then we're automatically better."

D'Antoni long has cautioned against breaking up the nucleus of a team that's won three consecutive Pacific Division titles. Stoudemire came back from microfracture surgery on one knee and arthroscopic surgery on the other to make first team all-NBA last season.

Had Stoudemire not been suspended for taking a few too many steps off the bench when San Antonio's Robert Horry sent Steve Nash crashing into the scorer's table, the Suns might have won their Western Conference semifinal series with the eventual NBA champion Spurs.

The scenario being bandied about had the Suns sending Stoudemire to Atlanta, the Hawks shifting their No. 3 pick and other selections to Minnesota, and the Timberwolves shipping Garnett to Phoenix.

The idea gained a bit of credence because Garnett, a good friend of Nash, has said he would like to play for the Suns. But Stoudemire is 24 and Garnett 31. Still, Kerr has told the players that no one on the team is untouchable.

Another supposed deal would send Shawn Marion to Boston, with the Celtics giving Minnesota their No. 5 pick and Garnett coming to Phoenix. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge deflated that report by saying it was "unlikely" Boston would trade its pick.

There was considerable evidence, though, that Phoenix was attempting to acquire a better draft pick. The Suns have the 24th and 29th picks, but many of the players brought to Phoenix to work out for the team are sure to gone before those picks.

North Carolina power forward Brandan Wright and Florida State small forward Al Thornton worked out for Phoenix on Wednesday. That follows workouts Tuesday by two members of the NCAA champion Florida Gators — small forward Corey Brewer and power forward Joakim Noah - along with Georgetown small forward Jeff Green.

"All really impressive kids," Kerr said on Tuesday. "They're competitors, really good players. That's why they're projected to go in the top 10."

Moving up, if it's possible at all, would not come easily. Phoenix might have to part with the pick it holds from Atlanta next season.

"Of course it's going to come with a price," Kerr said. "So you have to evaluate that, whether it means giving up something in the future, you have to evaluate whether it makes sense."

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 11:03 PM
I just don't see them trading Amare. Not in a lateral move, let alone in a move that weakens them, in my opinion, with an Amare/Thomas/2008 Atl 1st trade.

Trading Marion, sure. Diaw, sure...

Leetonidas
06-28-2007, 05:06 AM
Three-team deal with Garnett, Stoudemire cools

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: June 28, 2007, 2:21 AM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

The Minnesota Timberwolves' attempts to get a great deal for Kevin Garnett hit a major roadblock on Wednesday afternoon, sources told ESPN.com.

According to multiple sources, the Timberwolves have been talking to multiple teams about finding a third team to help facilitate a Garnett trade.

As ESPN.com reported on Tuesday evening, Minnesota was looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in Thursday's draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Phoenix Suns. To participate, Atlanta wanted Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix.

On Wednesday, sources say one of the Hawks owners vetoed a hypothetical deal for Stoudemire for financial reasons.

However, late Wednesday night the Wolves were trying to resurrect the deal in a way that would overcome the objections. The sticking point has been a trade kicker in Garnett's contract. The Wolves were talking to fourth teams that could help alleviate the financial burden on Atlanta and Phoenix.

"All I can tell you is we're talking to a lot of people," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said Wednesday afternoon, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I can't say that anything is imminent or even likely to take place. Right now, we have the No. 3 and No. 11 picks and that's all we have.

"We feel good about what we could do if we draft at No. 3 and then again at No. 11. But we are talking ... we're talking about a lot of different things, and we're going to continue to do so up until the draft begins."

The Suns claim to have never had any direct contact with the Hawks about a deal. While they have shown strong interest in acquiring Garnett, the deal never reached a stage where they were asked by either team to give up Stoudemire and never offered him in a trade.

While teams like the Lakers and Suns will continue to pursue Garnett, and the Wolves seem intent on trading him, sources say that it's unlikely, but not impossible, that a deal goes down by the time of the draft.

The latest drama in the KG saga shows some of the perils of dealing with the Hawks -- arguably the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

The Hawks ownership group, Atlanta Spirit LLC, is embroiled in a nasty lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin. Belkin won a lawsuit against Atlanta Spirit LLC last summer and a judge ruled that he could buy out the owners of Atlanta Spirit and gain full ownership of the team. Atlanta Spirit is currently appealing the ruling.

In the meantime, Belkin holds some authority over the team. He can veto any trade or free agent signing that takes the team above the NBA salary cap. Several sources suggested that it was Belkin who vetoed the trade.

This fiasco isn't the only situation the Hawks are dealing with. Sources said that Knight is in a dispute with some of the Hawks owners over who to take at No. 3. Knight prefers Florida's Al Horford. Some in the Hawks ownership, including influential owner Michael Gearon Jr., want to draft Yi Jianlian out of China.

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 08:48 AM
"Had Stoudemire not been suspended for taking a few too many steps off the bench when San Antonio's Robert Horry sent Steve Nash crashing into the scorer's table, the Suns might have won their Western Conference semifinal series with the eventual NBA champion Spurs."

Right. I really hope the Suns believe this, that it was just luck and nothing else that kept them from beating the Spurs.

I don't know why Suns fans are so intent on keeping Amare, he's having knee surgery again, right?

He's damaged goods. Get KG now and have a chance before Nash retires, or it's all downhill from here.

JMarkJohns
06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I've never heard anywhere that Amare is having surgery? Maybe I never looked, but I've been all over everything regarding the Suns the past few weeks and haven't seen anything of the sorts.

As for the Suns and Amare, they are opposed to trading him. They just won't trade him and get worse, which is what the above deal does. The most recent package had the Suns trading Amare, Thomas, Jones, #24, 2008 Atl 1st for Garnett alone. That's WAY too much.

Of course, that scnerio came out of Atlanta.

Phoenix claims, and I've been able to confirm, that they were never involved in this deal. They never held talks regarding trading Amare. While they won't say he's untouchable, in this package, they aren't moving him for Garnett alone. They'd need a high lottery pick as well as being able to keep all their own.

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 09:29 AM
I've never heard anywhere that Amare is having surgery? Maybe I never looked, but I've been all over everything regarding the Suns the past few weeks and haven't seen anything of the sorts.

Huh, my bad. Rumors around the office, I guess.

Shred
06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Huh, my bad. Rumors around the office, I guess.

Leandro Barbosa did have elbow surgery shortly after the playoffs ended, maybe that's what you were thinking of.