PDA

View Full Version : Finley to stay with Spurs

SpursFanInAustin
06-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Finley chooses to remain with Spurs, will make $3.1 million
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917810

San Antonio Spurs swingman Michael Finley notified the team Tuesday that he will bypass the opportunity to become a free agent July 1 and play out the final season of his contract with the newly crowned champions.

Finley had until Saturday to forfeit next season's $3.1 million salary and return to the open market, but called his decision a "no-brainer."

"I originally signed for three years, with the last year being an option [year] if I didn't enjoy it here," Finley told ESPN.com. "I like it here."

Although Finley, 34, conceivably could have opted out to seek a longer contract with the Spurs, he still has one guaranteed season left on his Mavericks contract valued at $18.6 million.

The Mavs released Finley in August 2005 with three years and nearly $52 million left on that contract to take advantage of the league's one-time "amnesty" provision. That enabled Dallas, by waiving its former face of their franchise, to save nearly $52 million in luxury-tax payments.

Finley admittedly struggled in his first season to make the short hop to San Antonio, as much with the psychological adjustment involved in moving from the Mavericks to their bitter rivals from South Texas as anything. But he gradually found a niche after choosing the Spurs over Phoenix and Miami and was an undeniable factor in the playoffs, emerging as one of the Spurs' most effective players in a seven-game classic with his old team in 2006's second round in which Dallas finally toppled San Antonio.

"Losing like that brought us closer together," Finley said recently. "It gave me something in common with those other [Spurs veterans]."

This season was much smoother as a result. Finley moved into the starting lineup late in the season -- into the spot vacated when Gregg Popovich asked Manu Ginobili to return to his old sixth-man role -- and eventually embraced repeated pleas from his coach to shoot more often as opposed to trying to fit in.

He finished fourth in playoff scoring for the Spurs at 11.3 points per game, shooting 41.9 percent from 3-point range and nearly 90 percent from the line in 26.9 minutes. The highlight: Finley drained a franchise-playoff-record eight 3-pointers in a first-round victory over Denver that closed the Nuggets out in five games.

"[Finley is] almost too professional of a player," Popovich said earlier this month. "He wants to please his coaches so badly that he's just too hard on himself at times. I think that he's learned with some humor and some discussion that it really is easier to play well if one can let go of a turnover or a missed shot and just go play, because the consequences aren't very huge. We're all going to get up in the morning like everybody else on the planet and conduct real life, so I think that's all helped him."

That reverence helps explain why Popovich, Tim Duncan and Finals MVP Tony Parker made repeated references during the Cleveland series about how badly they wanted to help Finley win his first ring.

"He's even more of a leader than I thought he would be," Popovich said. "He's more vocal than I thought he would be. And he commands even more respect than I thought he would. He's really a remarkable individual."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Not bad. Now if we can only get rid of Barry...I'd rather a new SG learn the ropes from Findog than Brent.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Cool.

:)

Oberto will do the same. I predict he re-signs here for 3 years, 10.5 mil which pays him slightly more than Elson.

Barry and Scola to Chicago for Nocioni, re-sign Vaughn for 1.7mil, Beno and a packet of beef jerky to Cleveland for a 2nd round pick, and it would be a perfect offseason.

mando6599
06-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Good for him, and good for the Spurs. The more players we know that are going to play next year, the better we can choose with whom we go with in the draft and internationally. Now we need to resign Oberto ASAP. He's important to this team and the Spurs know that.

mando

flacoflee
06-26-2007, 11:45 PM
i love fin man!

Budkin
06-26-2007, 11:46 PM
GO FINDOG GO!!! Let's repeat in 08!

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Adios Brent.

El_Mago
06-26-2007, 11:51 PM
This should end the Grant Hill rumor.

The Spurs do not need him.

Ship Barry, Beno, and the 28th and let's get us a strong back up point or even Belinelli...

Or let James White finally shine!

SequSpur
06-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Cool.

:)

Oberto will do the same. I predict he re-signs here for 3 years, 10.5 mil which pays him slightly more than Elson.

Barry and Scola to Chicago for Nocioni, re-sign Vaughn for 1.7mil, Beno and a packet of beef jerky to Cleveland for a 2nd round pick, and it would be a perfect offseason.

dude, you've been watching to much KSAT.

SpursFanFirst
06-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Good...I'm glad he's coming back! :tu

SenorSpur
06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
For continuity sake, that's good.

Now perhaps we can forget about the Grant Hill rumors and the Spurs can draft a young, developing talent who can provide much-needed depth.

Complainer
06-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Grant Hill would be a good addition to this team.

pad300
06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Excellent news - I was worrying he would opt out as well as Oberto, which would leave us patching our rotation back up, not improving... As it is, getting Oberto back might be hard enough.

ploto
06-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Being that Cuban is still paying him millions and millions, makes it easier.

T Park
06-27-2007, 12:04 AM
The Fin haters cringe.

Great to see you coming back Fin :)

Admidave50
06-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Good news, he was great in the playoffs except the Finals

THE SIXTH MAN
06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
hell Yeah! :toast

T Park
06-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Good news, he was great in the playoffs except the Finals

Game 3 I think he had a pretty good game but yeah, I think he just ran out of gas.

That and he put a HUGE load on his own shoulders. That ALSO I think his back was starting to bother him, he hurt it before game 4 against Utah I believe.

Without Fin, theres no way in Hell the Spurs get past the damn Nuggets, let alone to the Finals.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Being that Cuban is still paying him millions and millions, makes it easier.More yachts to water ski behind!

johngateswhiteley
06-27-2007, 12:53 AM
good for you Finley...good for you.

cornbread
06-27-2007, 12:53 AM
good news.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Of note, this came before the draft.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Finley staying means that the Spurs won't have to use some part of the MLE to replace him and frees up Barry to be moved. If the Spurs were so inclined they could see what teams were looking to offload a contract and might be interested in Shaggy's expiring contract.

genghisrex
06-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Of note, this came before the draft.
Yeah, props to Mike for making a favorable, but also timely decision for the franchise. Although I guess this doesn't actually affect the players we won't draft with the picks we won't keep. :lol

spursfan4ever
06-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Finley staying means that the Spurs won't have to use some part of the MLE to replace him and frees up Barry to be moved. If the Spurs were so inclined they could see what teams were looking to offload a contract and might be interested in Shaggy's expiring contract.

Well lets go :fishing

Scola???

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah, props to Mike for making a favorable, but also timely decision for the franchise. Although I guess this doesn't actually affect the players we won't draft with the picks we won't keep. :lol

Well, if they were so inclined as to make a draft night deal involving whottt's 'favorite athlete to dream about sodomizing him when it's the "pro" wrestling offseason'...

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:08 AM
It would be nice to find out what teams would like a veteran influence along with outside shooting.....

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 01:09 AM
You mean a guy who can make nice passes, play bongos and pass up wide open jumpers?

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Problem is, the Spurs have to be willing to take back a contract with more seasons on it.

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Problem is, the Spurs have to be willing to take back a contract with more seasons on it.

Not necessarily....

In the past we've been able to be lucky enough to move an expiring contract for another......2002 we moved AD and Spider to bring back Kerr.....and this past season, Eric Williams for Ely.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Ely? Feh.

The Spurs really limit themselves with such shit.

timvp
06-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Props to Finley :tu

He could have opted out and made more money for more years. It was probably his last chance to get a multi-year contract but instead, he decided to make life easier for the Spurs.

And like some have mentioned, he even did so before the draft so that the Spurs had a better idea of what they'll need. I've never been a huge Finley fan, but this goes a long ways toward making him a true Spur in my eyes.

Fin took one for the team. Put him on the list of players who either signed or remained a Spur for less money.

Oberto, in a somewhat similar cirumstance, didn't help the team out. Although you can't blame Oberto, seeing as he doesn't have near the millions that Finley does. But still, it's not everyday you see an athlete throw away millions like Finley just did.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:27 AM
...and he's still costing the Spurs less than Brent Barry.

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:33 AM
and still twice as valuable.

No matter what Whottt Erin Barry says.

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:36 AM
I've never been a huge Finley fan, but this goes a long ways toward making him a true Spur in my eyes.

The clutch threes buried against Phoenix and Denver werent enough?

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Now I'm really gonna buy his jersey next year. I hadn't gotten one cause I didn't think he'd be here that long, but like timvp said, he's a true Spur who's earned his spurs (no pun intended) ala Robert Horry in 2005.

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Fins getting by on only 100+ mil the past 5 years and now 21.7 million a year :cry :cry
It's soo self sacraficing.

But T_Park said Grant Hill would have been better, that Finley only shoots and does nothing else. Will we be okay? T_Park que to start parrotting that Fins will rock the 2008 playoffs, that way whether he does or does not you'll be covered. :lol

"Losing like that brought us closer together," Finley said recently. "It gave me something in common with those other [Spurs veterans]." What exactly did the Spurs veterans have in common with you?

Pachage Barrdog and ? to the Clippers for ____?

The Red Hood
06-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Now I'm really gonna buy his jersey next year. I hadn't gotten one cause I didn't think he'd be here that long, but like timvp said, he's a true Spur who's earned his spurs (no pun intended) ala Robert Horry in 2005.
Hells yeah now I just have to decide if I should get a road or home jersey
:huh

boutons_
06-27-2007, 01:56 AM
Poor, downtrodden St. Michael, living in poverty to remain in a Spur. snif snif :lol

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 02:14 AM
So what exactly was St. Finley not sure of a week ago?
Why is it a "no brainer" and "I like it here" now but it wasn't a week ago when he filed/said he was considering opting out?

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 02:20 AM
What did he file?

What did he say?

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Props to Fin for the ring being the thing...however, I think he's done. I think he was done his final season with the Mavs and managed to turn the clock back one last time in 06...I think we can expect more of the same from Finley this year as we got last year.

Celbrate Smitty part deux all you want...I just hope the Spurs get something in the draft.

As for trading Barry...I am all for it as long as it fills a need.

Too bad for Barry he's not black...then TPark, Marcus Bryant and most of the reast of the forum would like him...

Are there any white players TPark and Marcus Bryant don't hate, main reason being because they are white? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Way to prove you aren't racist you two...

timvp
06-27-2007, 02:27 AM
whottt pulls the race card?? :rollin

That was a ploto level take.

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Bonus points if you can find a post by Marcus Bryant or TimVP saying Steve Kerr wasn't popular because he was white.

Good luck....

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:33 AM
whottt pulls the race card?? :rollin

That was a ploto level take.

How can they be racist if they are white guys hating a guy because he's white...

I wouldn't call it the race card...I'd call it...some kind of fucked up political correctness that comes off really badly to someone who doesn't view everything through the racial lens.

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:34 AM
Too bad for Barry he's not black...then TPark, Marcus Bryant and most of the reast of the forum would like him...

Are there any white players TPark and Marcus Bryant don't hate, main reason being because they are white? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Way to prove you aren't racist you two...

When I supported Rasho I was a racist.

Now I support Finley im a racist.

Too bad for Barry that he sucks and chokes.

Thats the reason I don't like him.

So finley plays great in the playoffs, and thats it, hes done, nothing left?

:lol

Whatever

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't call it the race card...I'd call it...some kind of fucked up political correctness that comes off really badly to someone who doesn't view everything through the racial lens.

Bedtime for bonzo....

timvp
06-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Bonus points if you can find a post by Marcus Bryant or TimVP saying Steve Kerr wasn't popular because he was white.

Good luck....

Kerr is massively overrated by Spurs fans and I've said that. I apologize for disrespecting St. Steve.

Obviously you are racist because I said Bonner was a key re-sign and you laughed. Just admit to hating white people.

I seem to remember MB having Hedo in his sig a couple months before the Spurs got him and his affinity for Troy Murphy. TPark was the biggest Rasho homer alive. He also threw a fit when Dan Langhi didn't make the team.

But yeah, props on the take :tu

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:37 AM
So finley plays great in the playoffs, and thats it, hes done, nothing left?

Just find me one series where Barry sucked as badly as Finley did in the finals....

timvp
06-27-2007, 02:39 AM
This would explain the unbridled love for Shane Heal, Brent Barry and the Coyote . . .

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Just find me one series where Barry sucked as badly as Finley did in the finals....

I'll do you one better.

I'll find you a series he did worse.

Spurs vs Sonics.

20 minutes, and don't record a single thing.

Rebound, point, assist, NOTHING.

Apology Accepted

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:41 AM

Kerr is massively overrated by Spurs fans and I've said that. I apologize for disrespecting St. Steve.

Obviously you are racist because I said Bonner was a key re-sign and you laughed. Just admit to hating white people.

Bonner is a slow ass whiteboy...I really don't get the appeal.

I seem to remember MB having Hedo in his sig a couple months before the Spurs got him and his affinity for Troy Murphy. TPark was the biggest Rasho. He also threw a fit when Dan Langhi didn't make the team.

But yeah, props on the take :tu

I don't think MB has ever mentioned Kerr without the phrase, becuse he's white...it's a trait he and GW share.

greens
06-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Props to Finley :tu

He could have opted out and made more money for more years. It was probably his last chance to get a multi-year contract but instead, he decided to make life easier for the Spurs.

And like some have mentioned, he even did so before the draft so that the Spurs had a better idea of what they'll need. I've never been a huge Finley fan, but this goes a long ways toward making him a true Spur in my eyes.

Fin took one for the team. Put him on the list of players who either signed or remained a Spur for less money.

Oberto, in a somewhat similar cirumstance, didn't help the team out. Although you can't blame Oberto, seeing as he doesn't have near the millions that Finley does. But still, it's not everyday you see an athlete throw away millions like Finley just did.

According to the article, Finley is getting 18 million this year from Mark Cuban. Plus the 3 million from Spurs. So that's a very good amount of money...lol. Um, the situation with Oberto is way too different. So I see why Oberto opted out. There is no Mark Cuban to pay him 18 mil a year...

I'm very glad that Fin chose to stay. I really like him. But the choice was pretty easy...he already has so much money coming his way...why bother to ask for more when you already have more than enough? With Oberto, the guy would have gotten a little over 2 mil this year, that's all...

So I don't really see how you can say that Oberto didn't help out the team while Fin did...when their situations are completely opposite...one is getting tons and tons of money while the other one only has one year left with barely any money(in basketball terms...that is).

I really hope Oberto decides to stay. He really fits in with the team. Tim loves playing with him. So now that we have Fin staying...all we need is Oberto to sign. The bad thing is that we'd probably have to wait all summer to find out what he'll decide. I hope Manu can convince him to stay...and Oberto does love it here, and the recent articles do say that he really wants to stay.

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Bonner is a slow ass whiteboy...I really don't get the appeal

hustles, rebounds, shoots the three well.

Yeah, things the Spurs don't need :rolleyes

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 02:43 AM
What did he file?

What did he say?
Express-News June 25th. I can't get to the archives but it said he had not yet told the team whether or not he plans to opt out. There were some quotes from him on ESPN but more power to you if you can get their lame search feature to work.
He never did file or did he? Surmise what you want but the obvious point being he never told the Spurs he was coming thus infered he might bail until tonight. Why the delay? He sure wasn't thinking of retiring was he? Appears St. Michael tested the money waters and didn't get any more offers? Or if it makes the F.S.C. feel good lets just do like the Simpsons Jebediah Springfield hero hoax episode and say Fins was planning on staying all along? Whatever he does, thanks for 2007 playoffs. Thanks too to Cleveland for the sucky O that didn't expose Fins D too badly.

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:44 AM
I'll do you one better.

I'll find you a series he did worse.

Spurs vs Sonics.

20 minutes, and don't record a single thing.

Rebound, point, assist, NOTHING.

Apology Accepted

That's one game...

Barry has never shot .083 for a series like Finley did in the finals....in the finals!

In fact, coming into this season, he was the best post season 3 shooter in Spurs history(min 40 something shots).

Double standard.

And Finley was the guy afraid to take a shot in the finals.

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:44 AM
he already has so much money coming his way...why bother to ask for more when you already have more than enough

Who are you to say he has enough, or is it any of your business?

Nice condescending tone there chief.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 02:45 AM
Express-News June 25th. I can't get to the archives but it said he had not yet told the team whether or not he plans to opt out.So he said....nothing.
He never did file or did he? Surmise what you wantSo he filed....nothing.

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:46 AM
That's one game...

Barry has never shot .083 for a series like Finley did in the finals....in the finals!

In fact, coming into this season, he was the best post season 3 shooter in Spurs history(min 40 something shots).

Double standard.

Not one game, look at the other games sparky, the guys sucked ass completely worse than Finley did.

Just TRY and deny it.

Finley was NOT afraid to take a shot, they had to put Pavlovic on him, to make sure he DIDNT go off.

If not for Finley, the Spurs don't make it out of the first round.

FACT.

timvp
06-27-2007, 02:47 AM
I don't think MB has ever mentioned Kerr without the phrase, becuse he's white...it's a trait he and GW share.

Kerr sucked 99% of his Spur career but is probably one of the most loved Spurs of all-time. Why? That's probably Political Forum fodder.

But yeah, what does that have to do with this thread other than Barry happening to be white?

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:47 AM
I think Whottt hates Finley cause hes black, and loves Barry cause hes white.

Its completely obvious.

timvp
06-27-2007, 02:48 AM

Change the min and it's Devin Brown. That's a racist minimum :smokin

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 02:49 AM
So he said....nothing.So he filed....nothing.No it had quotes from him on the subject of opting out or not. Filed or not i have no idea. When i wrote filed/said he might opt out i meant filed OR said he might opt out.

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:51 AM
This would explain the unbridled love for Shane Heal, Brent Barry and the Coyote . . .

Whatever...at least Shane Heal could hit a 3 against the Lakers...that was reason enough to keep him on the roster, as it ranked him ahead of just about every shooter we had in the 3peat era.

Brent Barry is a very good basketball player that has contributed to two title teams....and he continually gets glossed as a shitty player, and a choker, because Pop doesn't play him...because he doesn't like his D.

Meanwhile...Finley can suck ass all of the regular season and put up the worst finals performance by a Spurs player ever...and it's nothing but a lovefest.

Brent Barry took less money to sign here too...and he wasn't getting 20 million year on the side.

Spurs fans have a double standard against Barry, they have had it from day 1, they have it inspite of verfiable statistical contribution....

They ignore virtually everything he does that is positive and focus entirely on the negative...

And if you think I am the only one who shares this perception...you are wrong.

If you can give me another reason besides a racial one...I'd like to see it.

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 02:56 AM
So he said....nothing.So he filed....nothing.
I think you may be dating T_Park so let me get the articles:
ESPN forget it.
June 14th Johnny Ludden:
Finley's status: Michael Finley is just one victory from winning the first championship of his 12-year career, which raises a question:

If Finley finally gets his first title, will he come back to defend it?

Finley can opt out of the final year of his contract ($3.1 million) at the end of this season and become a free agent. He said he hasn't made a decision yet but would have no problem returning to the Spurs. "I enjoy it here," Finley said. "It's been a great situation for me. The team has embraced me."

Finley does know one thing: He's not ready to retire.

and June 24th:
Free-agent deadline: Michael Finley has yet to inform the Spurs whether he will opt out of his contract and become a free agent. He has until Saturday to decide. I guess you could surmise that since he never said quote "I am going to opt out from the Spurs" his 10 day delay meant nothing.
Shoot, maybe the Spurs told him to hold off to see what developed in that period? Maybe KG has a new hot girlfriend who told him she he needs to move to San Antonio or she will break up with him? Maybe pigs can fly.

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Question....how many Spurs players have won two titles in their first 3 years with the team...

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Finley can suck ass all of the regular season and put up the worst finals performance by a Spurs player ever...and it's nothing but a lovefest

Meanwhile Finley goes on in the playoffs in the first round as arguebly their third best player, and 4th best the rest of the playoffs.

and its nothing but a hatefest from you

because hes black.

For shame whottt.....

timvp
06-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Whatever...at least Shane Heal could hit a 3 against the Lakers...that was reason enough to keep him on the roster, as it ranked him ahead of just about every shooter we had in the 3peat era.

Brent Barry is a very good basketball player that has contributed to two title teams....and he continually gets glossed as a shitty player, and a choker, because Pop doesn't play him...because he doesn't like his D.

Meanwhile...Finley can suck ass all of the regular season and put up the worst finals performance by a Spurs player ever...and it's nothing but a lovefest.

Brent Barry took less money to sign here too...and he wasn't getting 20 million year on the side.

Spurs fans have a double standard against Barry, they have had it from day 1, they have it inspite of verfiable statistical contribution....

They ignore virtually everything he does that is positive and focus entirely on the negative...

So Pop and the Spurs are racist too for trying to trade him since the second Barry played his first couple games as a Spur?

:lmao

Barry is the fourth highest paid player on the team. He's far from the fourth best player on the team. That's the reason why the team and some of its fans aren't crowning him as the second coming.

whottt
06-27-2007, 02:58 AM
Not one game, look at the other games sparky, the guys sucked ass completely worse than Finley did.

I'm not Sparky...

Just TRY and deny it.

Finley was NOT afraid to take a shot, they had to put Pavlovic on him, to make sure he DIDNT go off.

If not for Finley, the Spurs don't make it out of the first round.

FACT.

Oh BS...

All he did was take shots from Duncan, Manu and Parker.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 02:59 AM
I think you may be dating T_Park so let me get the articles:
June 14th Johnny Ludden:
Finley's status: Michael Finley is just one victory from winning the first championship of his 12-year career, which raises a question:

If Finley finally gets his first title, will he come back to defend it?

Finley can opt out of the final year of his contract ($3.1 million) at the end of this season and become a free agent. He said he hasn't made a decision yet but would have no problem returning to the Spurs. "I enjoy it here," Finley said. "It's been a great situation for me. The team has embraced me."

Finley does know one thing: He's not ready to retire. So he said he hadn't made a decision.

Wow.

That's dynamite.

T Park
06-27-2007, 02:59 AM
and he continually gets glossed as a shitty player, and a choker, because Pop doesn't play him...because he doesn't like his D.

going 20 minutes without doing a thing.

bricking and passing up three after three

WHAt HE WAS BROUGHT IN FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

But continue to ignore the fact.s

T Park
06-27-2007, 03:01 AM
Oh BS...

All he did was take shots from Duncan, Manu and Parker.

how could he take shots from them if he wasn't taking them?

Barry is the fourth highest paid player on the team. He's far from the fourth best player on the team. That's the reason why the team and some of its fans aren't crowning him as the second coming.

BUT BUT BUT

That hot potato pass on a wide open three at the top of the key is the reason the Spurs offense runs so well with him in there!!!

timvp
06-27-2007, 03:04 AM
RC is racist because he tried to trade him repeatedly since day one. Pop is racist because he doesn't use Barry right. Spurs fans are racist because they don't glorify a guy who shot 35% in the playoffs. timvp is racist because he exposes Kerr for being overrated.

Quality takes :tu

whottt
06-27-2007, 03:05 AM
So Pop and the Spurs are racist too for trying to trade him since the second Barry played his first couple games as a Spur?

I think so...in fact I think Pop also has a grudge against European guards.

Pop is a defensivist...Pop has a visceral hatred for players that cannot play D, inspite of lots of historical evidence that such players can be productive members of a team.

Well that explains it...it was pretty cold blooded when he put the gun to the Spurs head and forced them to sign him.

It's like no one watched Barry play in Seattle or something...including the Spurs...I have no idea what in the hell made anyone think he could play D...and I have no idea what in the hell made anyone think he was a scorer.

whottt
06-27-2007, 03:09 AM
how could he take shots from them if he wasn't taking them?

First round slick...

Finley's butthole clenched completely in the finals.

So badly that Pop was forced to close out games with Barry instead of Finley. A first in Barry's Spurs career.

Finley may have had better ups...but he also pulled one of the biggest chokes in Spurs history in the finals.

That hot potato pass on a wide open three at the top of the key is the reason the Spurs offense runs so well with him in there!!!

Well hey...it doesn't help as much as a patented 1-9 Finley start...but at least he's getting it to guys who can score most of the time.

And Brent Barry draws defenders quicker on the perimeter than just about any shooter in the NBA. Spurs fans continually ignore this.

timvp
06-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Well that explains it...it was pretty cold blooded when he put the gun to the Spurs head and forced them to sign him.

It's like no one watched Barry play in Seattle or something...including the Spurs...I have no idea what in the hell made anyone think he could play D...and I have no idea what in the hell made anyone think he was a scorer.
Hate to break it to you, but Barry wasn't the first option that summer. He wasn't even the second option. It wasn't until everything else fell apart that they went with Barry.

Barry is a good guy and has had some good moments while on the Spurs but his signing will probably be looked back on as a mistake. Not as bad as signing Rasho to his deal or trading for a broken Charles Smith with three years left on his contract, but a mistake nonetheless.

whottt
06-27-2007, 03:12 AM
Pop this Pop that....

Pop smallballed us into a choke last season against Dallas...I wish he was as good of a coach as he was a GM.

It's a fact that Pop has an affinity for scrub types that hustle but choke like a mother fucker when doubled off of in pressure situations...

timvp
06-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Pop this Pop that....

Pop smallballed us into a choke last season against Dallas...I wish he was as good of a coach as he was a GM.

It's a fact that Pop has an affinity for scrub types that hustle but choke like a mother fucker when doubled off of in pressure situations...

http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 03:16 AM
going 20 minutes without doing a thing.

bricking and passing up three after three

WHAt HE WAS BROUGHT IN FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

But continue to ignore the fact.s
fact.s
3-4 on treys in 17 minutes of a crappy Popavich 75-72 Gm 3 2007 Finals.

whottt
06-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Hate to break it to you, but Barry wasn't the first option that summer. He wasn't even the second option. It wasn't until everything else fell apart that they went with Barry.

Oh I am well aware of that...the Spurs were gripping that Hedo wouldn't be around to make Duncan's job harder.

That doesn't change the fact we won Barry's first year here, and he was the main guard off the bench. We added NVE and Finley...played them ahead of Barry, and were worse because of it.

Barry is a good guy and has had some good moments while on the Spurs but his signing will probably be looked back on as a mistake. Not as bad as signing Rasho to his deal or trading for a broken Charles Smith with three years left on his contract, but a mistake nonetheless.

And the mistake is overlooking what Barry brought to this team...

Spurs fans always nutride the FO on stuff like this...and they have made plenty of mistakes...in particular offseasons after we have just won a title.

whottt
06-27-2007, 03:17 AM
http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg

Only because he's a genius GM...he's his own worst enemy as a coach. Always gets good talent(even in hte years the Spurs fucked up)...does not always play it...

Will play a choking scrub defensive hustle guy over a guy that can hit shots when we are blowing leads...90% of the time.

timvp
06-27-2007, 03:18 AM
Only because he's a genius GM...he's his own worst enemy as a coach.

Because he's racist against Barry.

Got it :tu

drmvp
06-27-2007, 03:33 AM

It's a clear case of BDS: Barry Derangement Syndrome

(...the acute onset of visceral hatred in otherwise normal people in reaction to the play -- nay -- the very existence of one Brent Robert Barry)

whottt
06-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Effects of experimental reverse-racism card against Barry haters and whottt caller outers:

TPark - puts him into the mother of all defensive modes. *noted for future use*
timvp - puts him into helpful bystander mode. Can then easily be drawn into defensive mode. *noted for future use*
Marcus Bryant - effect unknown. Probably went and made a new user nic.

timvp
06-27-2007, 03:58 AM
*backtracks after getting pwnt*

whottt
06-27-2007, 03:59 AM
addendum to effect on timvp - extended defensive mode

*closes notes*

timvp
06-27-2007, 04:01 AM
*logs back into ploto nick*

Bruno
06-27-2007, 04:40 AM
Good news. :tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Awesome, Finley's a shooter we can trust.

Streakyshooter08
06-27-2007, 04:51 AM
:tu

Texas_Ranger
06-27-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm happy about that.

Spurs Brazil
06-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Good news

spurscenter
06-27-2007, 07:11 AM
love u fin dawg

spursfan09
06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Now with this playoff experience I expect him to mean even more next playoffs. I trust him in big games to play well.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 07:40 AM
It looks like the whottt baittt I set out last night caught something.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2007, 07:46 AM
For whatever it's worth -- sticking with NBA qualifying minimums for 3 point attempts (http://www.nba.com/leader_requirements.html) (based on number of games played), here are the current Spurs franchise leaders in 3 point FG% in playoff games:

.529 -- D. Brown (21 games, 9-17)
.443 -- V. Del Negro (46 games, 31-70)
.439 -- B. Bowen (100 games, 134-305)
.408 -- M. Finley (33 games, 62-152)
.404 -- R. Horry (64 games, 65-161)
.403 -- B. Barry (55 games, 60-149)
.400 -- D. Ferry (39 games, 32-80)
.394 -- C. Person (34 games, 52-132)
.393 -- W. Anderson (39 games, 11-28)
.387 -- E. Ginobili (90 games, 132-341)

Entering the 2007 Playoffs, Barry was 45-100 from behind the arc in playoff games, placing him only behind D. Brown among qualifiers.

For the record, though, I also would like to see Barry moved this summer. I'm sure that makes me racist or sexist or xenophobic or stupid or something.

BeerIsGood!
06-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Great job by Finley contributing to a title, and it seems he wants to come back for #2. Get it done.

smeagol
06-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks Mike!

WTF with all the Barry hate?

wildbill2u
06-27-2007, 08:12 AM
STaying with the Spurs gives Finley another opportunity to stick it to Cuban who'll still have to pay millions of his salary while the Spurs pay a minimum for a good veteran.

BigBeezie
06-27-2007, 08:41 AM
I am glad that Finley came back. He will most likely retire as a Spur now....unless he signs with Dallas after he leaves.

cherylsteele
06-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Bonner is a slow ass whiteboy...I really don't get the appeal.
I don't see Fabs breaking any speed record anytime soon, but fans like him because he is a smart player, hustles, does alot of the little things, etc.

Bonner can shoot, he hustles, not afraid to bang or do some "dirty" work. He was really playing well up until he hurt his knee and he never got back in the rotation because Pop had really had it set for the playoffs by the time Bonner got back.

Everyone want the next coming of MJ, but you can't have everything, you tske what you can get or already have.

cherylsteele
06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
That's one game...

Double standard.

Okay, Finley had a bad finals series...so did Brent...even worse.

After all that...
Finley 3.8 pts/gm
Barry 3.0 pts/gm

Barry shot "better"...but not by much and still got out scored by Finley.

Compare that to the entire playoffs and Finley wins hands down.

Finley .410 fg% .419 3pt% 11.3 pts/gm

Barry .350 fg% .306 3pt% 3.1 pts/gm

3.1 pts/gm from Barry? And you think he is a better player? Finley out-rebounded Barry and had the sames assists/gm avg....1.1.

Did you even watch the games? Or look at the final stats of the year?....they are easy to find.

bdictjames
06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Brent will help us in the regular season to get a good seeding, while Finley will peak up in the playoffs.

MoSpur
06-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Its great news to see Finley is coming back. I wouldn't mind keeping Barry, but mainly as a backup to Tony Parker. Use the money for the backup point on someone else.

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Only because he's a genius GM...he's his own worst enemy as a coach. Always gets good talent(even in hte years the Spurs fucked up)...does not always play it...

Will play a choking scrub defensive hustle guy over a guy that can hit shots when we are blowing leads...90% of the time.
whottt can you post a pic of 4 coattails? :lol

Phenomanul
06-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Count me in as one of those supporters...

Barry's alleged 'ineffectiveness' is due to the defensive minded schemes that define Pop's style..err... the Spurs' style of play.... The same schemes that unfortunately limit Barry's potential impact.

Were he allowed to play the back-up point guard position... his passing, and ability to run the offense, would help alleviate the detrimental impact of his defensive lapses. Instead, they ask him to play the role of a spot-up shooter, a role he can play - but not one where he would be a consistent contributor, or one where he would excel.

People seem to forget that Barry was one of the few Spurs players that showed up all season - from Game 2 on forward (he didn't play in Game 1). If not for a back injury, that cost him his 'psuedo-starting' job, who knows how his excellent rhythm would have translated into the playoffs.

Unlike whottt however, I don't hold any grudges towards Finley... I'm glad we have both players.

T Park
06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Were he allowed to play the back-up point guard position... his passing, and ability to run the offense, would help alleviate the detrimental impact of his defensive lapses

I've seen it all now.

coopdogg3
06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
I've seen it all now.

Have you seen a man eat his own head?

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Unlike whottt however, I don't hold any grudges towards Finley... I'm glad we have both players.

Same here. I like both players, but with Finley opting to stay 1 more year, Barry definitely is more expendable, and I wouldn't mind to see James White(!) take his minutes next year to provide more youth, athleticism, quickness, and slashing ability on the perimeter. I know Barry can also slash, but doesn't do it enough on the Spurs system, he'd probably fit well on a team like Phoenix.

Phenomanul
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I've seen it all now.

You may not wish to admit it... but your Barry hate is as bad as Whottt's Finley hate....

Both of you all have reached indefensible extremes, beyond what a mere impassé would produce.

Why do you think that Barry excelled in the 05' series vs. the Suns? Could it be that Pop's out-running them approach was more conducive to Barry's effectiveness. You know, that same series where his defensive schemes took a back-seat to said strategy? This style naturally catered to Barry's talents... and allowed us to see his value under such offensively oriented schemes. That is... when we get the opportunity to run such schemes.

Seriously, can you explain this phenomenon without the use of single phrase snipets, or tangential one-liners. It's nothing personal... simply an observation. Barry is a much better player than you give him credit for.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 11:48 AM
So Barry vs. Barbosa....great matchup....

We won without changing our entire style to fit our ninth man.

Switchman
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
atta boy Fin.

I don't give a damn what happens in the regular season as long as we at least get the 8th seed and are in the playoffs.

easjer
06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm with Phenomanual (and to some level with whottt).

I'm actually sad that Fin exercised his option, I'd personally hoped that he'd opt out, because I like Barry more, and think he was far more consistent than Fin.

And I agree with MB that this means a long sad goodbye for me in regards to Brent. It is not feasible to keep them both - both suffer for it. If they moved Brent to primary back-up point, it could maybe work, but White needs more playing time if they are keeping him . . . and Barry is eminently tradeable now, with 2 rings, a decent season in a 'starting' capacity and most glorious of all, an expiring contract.

:depressed

Fin's all right, I guess, but I'd personally have preferred Barry.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I was hoping we could get rid of them both so we'd have something new to bitch about.

easjer
06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I was hoping we could get rid of them both so we'd have something new to bitch about.

Ooooo! Good plan!

Like what? I'm ready to bitch about anything. Give me a topic and 30 seconds, and I'll give you a great profanity laden tirade!

(i hate the offseason, particularly as it coincides with tv's offseason)

whottt
06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Okay, Finley had a bad finals series...so did Brent...even worse.

After all that...
Finley 3.8 pts/gm
Barry 3.0 pts/gm

Who played more minutes?

Who underplayed their regular totals the worst?

Barry shot "better"...but not by much and still got out scored by Finley.

Finley got more minutes and was starting...

You don't see how that could be a factor in the differentials?

That's a case of you being a bad analyst...not Finley outplaying Barry.

Compare that to the entire playoffs and Finley wins hands down.
Finley .410 fg% .419 3pt% 11.3 pts/gm

Barry .350 fg% .306 3pt% 3.1 pts/gm

3.1 pts/gm from Barry? And you think he is a better player? Finley out-rebounded Barry and had the sames assists/gm avg....1.1.

Did you even watch the games? Or look at the final stats of the year?....they are easy to find.

Do you understand what a minute is?

Magic_Johnson
06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Why do you think that Barry excelled in the 05' series vs. the Suns?

He had a good game 1 and that's all

whottt
06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Same here. I like both players, but with Finley opting to stay 1 more year, Barry definitely is more expendable, and I wouldn't mind to see James White(!) take his minutes next year to provide more youth, athleticism, quickness, and slashing ability on the perimeter. I know Barry can also slash, but doesn't do it enough on the Spurs system, he'd probably fit well on a team like Phoenix.

Eh...

I think Finley is showing signs of decline...unlike Barry.

I think it's a mistake to dump Barry unless you know this past season from Finley was the aberration...

I don't think it is. He was showing signs of decline in Dallas...that's why they cut ties with him. He did turn the clock back his first season here...but last year was what I was expecting him to do his first year here.

And guys...Finley is not clutch.

I am for moving Barry if you can get a younger SF....but I'd still rather have him than Finley, as he can impact a game in more ways...and he's showing less signs of decline.

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Eh...

I think it's a mistake to dump Barry unless you know this past season from Finley was the aberration...

I don't think it is. He was showing signs of decline in Dallas...that's why they cut ties with him. He did turn the clock back his first season here...but last year was what I was expecting him to do his first year here.

And guys...Finley is not clutch.

I am for moving Barry if you can get a younger SF....but I'd still rather have him than Finley, as he can impact a game in more ways...and he's showing less signs of decline.

I can understand the logic, but I do feel Finley is clutch....He hit a lot of game tying and winning shots his first year here. He balled his ass off against the Mavs in 06, and if it weren't for Dick Bavetta's lame touch foul call on Bowen when Dirk lowered his shoulder into Bruce at the end of regulation to send him to the line to tie the game and force OT, Michael Finley would've ended up hitting the game winner for the Spurs at Dallas and tying the series at 2-2, and you'd probably have a different result in the series. That game pissed me off more than Game 3, when Duncan got his 6th foul when Dirk stepped on his foot. That gave Dallas a 3-1 series edge and loooooooads of confidence to beat the Spurs. I'll always hate Game 4 from that year. As far as Barry goes, I just don't like his hesitance to shoot when he's open. If he misses a couple early shots, he'll lack confidence and never shoot for the rest of the game. I like Finley's aggressive and he's not willing to stop shooting (Now I know that's a double edged sword, ie Van Exel). I also think altho both aren't great defenders, Finley's a little better. He definitely has grasped the concept of Spurs basketball and his defense has improved within the scheme.

I would like to keep both, since if one is off, the other guy might be able to step in and provide better shooting. But I wouldn't mind seeing a younger guy coming in and provide more slashing.

Spurologist
06-27-2007, 01:03 PM
FIN to remain with the spurs.

H
A
L
L
E
L
U
J
A
H

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
At least Finley will take the open shot. And as much as whottt tries to mischaracterize Finley's postseason, he was huge in the first 3 rounds. Nobody outside of the Big 3 had a good Finals anyway.

Now the Spurs have to be willing to take back a contract and they may be able to get some value out of Barry's exit.

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
At least Finley will take the open shot. And as much as whottt tries to mischaracterize Finley's postseason, he was huge in the first 3 rounds. Nobody outside of the Big 3 had a good Finals anyway

I'm sure this will be spun.

judaspriestess
06-27-2007, 01:50 PM
I am happy he is staying. I'd like to see our team stay mostly intact.

Beno should be gone, I have always felt the guy does not like playing in SA and obviously wants more playing time, who can blame him.

velik_m
06-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Finley wouldn't get any more money if he opted out.

cherylsteele
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Who played more minutes?

Who underplayed their regular totals the worst?

Reg Season 2007 Finals 2007 playoffs

Barry 8.5 pts/gm 3.0 pts/gm 5.5 pts/gm drop 3.1 pts/gm

Finley 9.0 pts/gm 3.8 pts/gm 5.2 pts/gm drop 11.3 pts/gm

In comparison they both performed poorly in the finals....pretty equally...you just keep saying the Finley was sooooo much worse than Barry in the finals which isn't really true at all.

But for the playoffs overall Finley played circles around Barry by a country mile. Barry has some good qualities but more often than not he struggles mightily in pressure situations. Finley struggled less than Barry in the playoffs as a whole. Okay, minutes were a ways apart but Finley did so many other things better than Barry when Barry did play. The only thing Barry did statistically better than Finley is shoot free throws....Barry only shot 2 for 2 FT's....Compare to 44-105 (.897) for Finley. That is a big reason why he didn't play alot. He was way too passive on the offensive end.

That's a case of you being a bad analyst...not Finley outplaying Barry.
Barry is a good passer and a decent ball handler but his "D" is piss-poor. Finley's is a higher level of poor and he seems to be giving a more concerted effort at it than Barry. Barry doesn't use his abilities like he should/could, that is my problem with him. He just shoots jumpers most of the time and doesn't drive to the hoop when should either.

Barry has already declined.

cherylsteele
06-27-2007, 02:47 PM
He did turn the clock back his first season here...but last year was what I was expecting him to do his first year here.
In many ways Finley had a better year THIS YEAR than last year, especially in the playoffs.

Barry really never has gotten on track at all.....especially in the playoffs since he has been here.

George Gervin's Afro
06-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm a fan of Barry/Finley...I like both guys.. in a heterosexual kind of way..

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Kerr sucked 99% of his Spur career but is probably one of the most loved Spurs of all-time. Why? That's probably Political Forum fodder.

But yeah, what does that have to do with this thread other than Barry happening to be white?

:wtf

I can't speak for others, but I hold Kerr in high regard for the Dallas game in the playoffs where he dropped a couple of threes, and was able to check Dirk of all people when we continued switching on the pick and roll every time Dallas ran it.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Kerr was crazy good that clenching game vs. the Mavs. Good defense, flying out of bounds to save a rebound... It's like his basketball career flashed before his eyes.

41times
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm glad he re-signed with you guys. That means the Mavs won't re-sign him which is great. He is declining big time so better you guys than us!

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm glad he re-signed with you guys. That means the Mavs won't re-sign him which is great. He is declining big time so better you guys than us!

Get out of the first round

:drunk

Avitus1
06-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Of course Findog is going to stay he's now got one thing that his former team mates Nash, and Dirk have never been able to get.

Spurs Brazil
06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062707.finleylede.1cfeee97.html

Spurs: Finley will return next season

Web Posted: 06/27/2007 11:24 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley, the veteran shooting guard who earned his first NBA championship ring while helping the Spurs win their fourth title in nine years, has elected to remain with the team rather than become a free agent.

Finley signed a three-year contract with the Spurs on Aug. 2, 2005 after the Dallas Mavericks waived him. With the Mavericks obligated to pay him the $51.8 million that remained on the final three years of a deal he had signed with them in 2001, he agreed to become a Spur for roughly half of the NBA's "mid-level" salary cap exception, $2.675 million in 2005-06. His deal increased to $2.889 million last season and $3.103 million for next season, but he had the option of not exercising the final year of the deal, which would have made him a free agent.

Instead, Finley officially notified the Spurs on Wednesday morning that he will play again next season under terms of his three-year deal.

"We're very pleased that Michael has decided to remain with our team," said Spurs general manager R.C. Buford. "Obviously, Michael had a big impact on our team and made great contributions to the success of the Spurs this season. It's exciting to be able to bring contributing players back to this team to pursue similar success."

Finley last season played all 82 games, averaging 9.0 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists. He moved into the starting lineup late in the season and started all 20 of the Spurs' playoff games. His scoring increased in the playoffs, when he averaged 11.3 points and 2.9 rebounds.

One of the team's locker room leaders, Finley was awarded the game ball after the Spurs swept the Cleveland Cavaliers to win the 2007 NBA championship and was still holding the ball when the Spurs had their victory parade on the San Antonio River.

coachmac87
06-27-2007, 06:35 PM
u gotta start finley....he can still hit the three ball with his eyes closed...if manu starts who brings energy off the bench???

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I love Finley,
but he is on his decline, but with that said so is Barry,I guess it is the lesser of 2 evils.
I think it's a toss up between those two

And next year Manu better be starting again!

I don't care who starts. Personally I'd prefer Manu continue coming off the bench to provide energy off the bench. I feel if Manu comes off the bench all season, he'll have a better chance to win 6th man of the year.

As for Finley, if he starts, he spreads the floor and becomes an option for Parker's penetration and of course Duncan passing out of the post off double teams. Like Horry, I think Finley has become a great post feeder off the perimeter.

MajorMike
06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Beno and a packet of beef jerky to Cleveland for a 2nd round pick

That has GOT to be the funniest thing I have seen on this board in many moons. I almost choked on a dorito when I read that. Kudos.

Switchman
06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
As long as you guy's are paying him 18 mil a year, I'm cool with him staying.

Barry sucks though and I'd be glad if he got traded.

Borosai
06-27-2007, 10:16 PM
u gotta start finley....he can still hit the three ball with his eyes closed...if manu starts who brings energy off the bench???

Must I say it? Yeah, I must!

James White!

Toss-it-n-floss-it! :spin

whottt
06-27-2007, 11:41 PM
You may not wish to admit it... but your Barry hate is as bad as Whottt's Finley hate....

Both of you all have reached indefensible extremes, beyond what a mere impassé would produce.

Why do you think that Barry excelled in the 05' series vs. the Suns? Could it be that Pop's out-running them approach was more conducive to Barry's effectiveness. You know, that same series where his defensive schemes took a back-seat to said strategy? This style naturally catered to Barry's talents... and allowed us to see his value under such offensively oriented schemes. That is... when we get the opportunity to run such schemes.

Seriously, can you explain this phenomenon without the use of single phrase snipets, or tangential one-liners. It's nothing personal... simply an observation. Barry is a much better player than you give him credit for.

I am the reaction...not the action.

I defended Barry because they hated him unjustly.

I hate Finley becuse they love him unjustly.

Every thing needs balance.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:51 PM
You love Barry because of his hair.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:54 PM
He likes Barry cause hes white, and hates Finley cause hes black.

Thats been proven in this thread already.

whottt
06-28-2007, 12:09 AM
TPark and MB...let me just say, something smart.

Balance restored. Whew.

Fabbs
06-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Is it too good to be true that they both would be hot for the 2008 Playoffs?
We got a game or two of this in 2007s playoffs and it sure was sweet.

I wouldn't count on another 2007 run culminating with the Cleveland Cavs offensive strategy to leave their D unexposed again.

41times
06-28-2007, 01:50 PM

Ummm, not so much of a shooter.

2 point land was is 276th in the league at .448
3 piont land was is 106th in the league at .364
PPG he was 167th in the league at 9.0

But as a reserved roll player i guess he is okay?

Clutch20
06-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Finley became bigger. He bought into becoming a part of the Spurs system and became bigger, being part of something bigger, something larger than what a single individual player can become.

Finley became better, he contributed at crucial times, flowed defensively to change the game, and made his game multifaceted by channeling his skills into other aspects of the game.

Bigger and Better and Finley can now be said in the same breath.

Just where does the notion "declining" figure in his effectiveness in getting to the top?

Like as in "declining" to resign with the misanthropes 4 levels below him on the basketball evolutionary ladder?

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.

spurster
06-28-2007, 02:14 PM
I can't say I am terribly excited about the prospect of keeping either or both Finley and Barry. They are becoming a little bit too long on the tooth. Keeping Finley and some playing time for someone younger is a decent way to go. Keeping Barry, too, would still make sense if there was any thought of using him as a backup PG, but that seems far from Pop's mind.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I can't say I am terribly excited about the prospect of keeping either or both Finley and Barry. They are becoming a little bit too long on the tooth. Keeping Finley and some playing time for someone younger is a decent way to go. Keeping Barry, too, would still make sense if there was any thought of using him as a backup PG, but that seems far from Pop's mind.

Right, so move one and work the calcifying James White into the rotation.

Clutch20
06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Ok, I did a search and didn't find another post the same as this one:
(btw, Finley did get married before the season started but I don't know about his children or family life)
Michael Finley interview after winning championship
http://www.insidehoops.com/finley-interview-061507.shtml
InsideHoops.com NewsWire | June 15, 2007

Michael Finley interview after winning 2007 nba championshipThursday night the San Antonio Spurs, playing on the road, beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 83-82, winning Game 4 and sweeping the Cavs to win the 2006-07 NBA championship. Here's what Spurs swingman Michael Finley, enjoying his first championship, said after the game:

Q: How's it feel? You're a champion.

Finley: ... I came to a team that had experience, a team that welcomed me with open arms and we won it. So it's a good feeling.

Q: Growing up in Chicago and watching the Bulls win championships, is that what you thought this moment would feel like?

Finley: Oh, yeah. I've seen MJ win, Scottie win. I've been downtown in the parade. I always dreamed of being a part of it, whether it was with Chicago ... with any team ... just to be part of the celebration. It's a combination of all your hard work. I [saw] how hard MJ and Scottie worked in the offseason to then seeing them celebrate in the locker room. I always wanted to be a part of that and I finally am.

Q: Looking at how Dallas had two guys win the [regular season] MVP trophy, I'm sure you'd rather have your trophy...

Finley: Yeah, I think so ... but they got the MVP trophy [and] it was very deserving. But those are two of my best friends -- Steve and Dirk -- and they congratulated me for getting to The Finals and I won't be surprised if they congratulated me today.

Q: Is this everything you dreamed it would be?

Finley: Oh yeah, it's a great feeling. It's that and then some. I always dreamed of being a champion, being in this locker room atmosphere, everybody celebrating ... words can't explain it.

Q: How emotional was it being presented the game ball by your teammates?

Finley: It's a great feeling. These guys are good guys. They dedicated this Finals to me [and] it just shows you what type of guys these are. For them to give me the game ball, they played the championship for me ... I mean, I'm blessed. What more can I ask for?

Q: What's in the future for Michael Finley?

Finley: I'm going to enjoy this. I'm going to party all the way until the end of Tony Parker's wedding. And then I might relax a little bit.

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.

angel_luv
06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I logged in especially to say " Yea!" to this news. Fin is good people and I am glad we are keepimg him around.