PDA

View Full Version : Dyess opts out?

ducks
06-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Dyess opts out
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917568

ducks
06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Pistons teammates Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess recently declined similar options to both become unrestricted free agents.

Murray averaged 6.7 points in 69 games last season.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Hmmm...

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Will he go back to the Pistons? Or will he cross sides and join the Spurs????? The thick plottens....

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:02 AM
He'd be great up front with TD.

MrChug
I've always been a big fan of that big country boy. I bet on draft day that he'd be the most dominant PF in the league if he didn't get injured. Guess what...

He's still a hell of a contributor.

HEY, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HE'D ASK FOR THE FULL MLE? HELL NO RIGHT?

td4mvp21
I'd like to see him a Spurs uniform.

T Park
06-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Damn.

I'd have to seriously consider throwing alot of the MLE at McDeyss.

He would be so perfect a fit with the Spurs it's not even funny.

picnroll
06-27-2007, 12:09 AM
He's opting out like Oberto is, to sign a longer term contract with his team. Neither he nor Oberto are going anywhere in all likelihood.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Just like Boozer was a Cav for life.

Oberto or McDyess.

Hmmm...

MrChug
06-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Just like Boozer was a Cav for life.

Oberto or McDyess.

Hmmm...

I would say that would be possible if Carlos Delfino still played for the Pistons, but he's a Magic player now.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:19 AM
I would say that would be possible if Carlos Delfino still played for the Pistons, but he's a Magic player now.

Why does he need to play for the Pistons (he's a Raptor now)?

Big P
06-27-2007, 12:19 AM

He plays for the Raptors.

T Park
06-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Whats Delfino gotta do with Mcdeyss.?

If Antonio was as serious about a ring as he seemed to be, all that would have to happen is Duncan and parker calling and saying "Wed want to win a ring for you like Finley"

BAM.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Maybe the Spurs will become the team with 2 guards and 13 bigmen.

Solid D
06-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Maybe the Spurs will become the team with 2 guards and 13 bigmen.

:lol

MrChug
06-27-2007, 12:30 AM
He plays for the Raptors.

Oh yah... :lol I always get those eastern conference teams confused...goes to show how little they matter to me I guess.

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I don't really know what Dice is going to do.

He is desperate to win a ring...which could make him decide to go to a team like the Spurs.

But he also said after the playoffs that he's basically given up the idea of winning a 'ship.

I'm inclined to believe that his first thought will be to resign w/ Detroit. But anything can happen.

And of course the Pistons could decide to let him go without a fight and start the youth movement.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 12:37 AM
If you let Bonner go, it kinda makes sense...

Starters
4 Duncan
5 Oberto

Bench
4 McDyess/Horry
5 Elson/Butler

IR
4 Mahinmi

Vaughn, Manu or Finley, and White are your sole perimeter bench reserves. Unlikely.

Creation88
06-27-2007, 12:39 AM
wow, mcdyess would be a nice fit here.

T Park
06-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Try and trade Elson for a Second rounder next year.

Theres your roster space for Deyss.

K-State Spur
06-27-2007, 12:42 AM
If Oberto signs elsewhere, it makes a lot of sense (depending on the money).

I like Horry coming back, but can we absolutely COUNT on him being injury-free and an effective crunch time player?

Dyess is the type of player that Pop would trust alongside Timmy at important moments.

MrChug
06-27-2007, 01:00 AM
...But he also said after the playoffs that he's basically given up the idea of winning a 'ship.

Do you have a link or a quote? I'm really interested in what he said. What makes you think that??

BeerIsGood!
06-27-2007, 01:10 AM
It would be a nice piece, but it would cost Oberto IMO. Who has more upside at this point to the Spurs?

ca®lo
06-27-2007, 01:16 AM
come on and sign with the spurs dyess... its ur turn :)

zekes
06-27-2007, 01:19 AM
The thick plottens....

:lmao

JamStone
06-27-2007, 01:21 AM
McDyess should wait til next summer to join the Spurs if he wants to win a ring since the Spurs win every other year. He should sign with the Knicks for one season since they'll win it all next season.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Will he go back to the Pistons? Or will he cross sides and join the Spurs????? The thick plottens....

:drunk

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Do you have a link or a quote? I'm really interested in what he said. What makes you think that??
There were some more comments made, but this was the best I could find on short notice.

--------------

Antonio McDyess, like Billups, can opt out of the final year of his contract. Chances are McDyess will return to the Pistons. He said at mid-season when a proposed trade with Toronto was on the table that he would have strongly considered immediate retirement rather than leave the Pistons. It’s likely that the Pistons and McDyess will agree to a deal that keeps him here for two more seasons, perhaps three.

Andy Miller, the agent for both Billups and McDyess, stopped by the team’s practice facility shortly after noon on Monday and left about 30 minutes later with Billups. But he didn’t engage Dumars in contract talks; Miller said he was in town on the expectation that there would be a Game 7 and took the opportunity to visit his clients.

McDyess, who wears his heart on his sleeve like no other Piston, took elimination very hard.

“I’m embarrassed to show my face,” he said. “I felt we had the best chance to get to where we wanted to be this year and it didn’t come out that way. My career is at the end and I felt this was the time and that if it didn’t happen this year it’s not going to happen. We came up, both years, short at the same point. It’s like we try to fight back from down in a series, we can’t do it anymore. I don’t know what’s going to happen next year.

“We’re still a good team. We just lose focus. Whether we need some help or what, we just need to get back to where we need to be.”

Asked if changes needed to be made or if the Pistons could bring the same team back next year, McDyess said, “You can, but if we come back with the same mentality, it ain’t going to work. But if we come back with a different mentality, ready to work and ready to win, we’ll be OK. Getting down in a series, we would stay positive, but it wasn’t there.”

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/splittingup_070604.html

The Red Hood
06-27-2007, 02:00 AM
:drunk

:lmao :lmao

DDS4
06-27-2007, 02:28 AM
I wonder if Dyess will wait until Billups resigns with the Pistons.

Probably a pipe dream, but Dyess would be an awesome fit for the Spurs. It will give the Spurs the motivation to win the championship like they did for Fin.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 03:50 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pistons let McDyess go. I think they are going to overhaul the front court. They have been already talking to a bunch of PF's about coming to their training camp.

Bruno
06-27-2007, 04:47 AM
McDyess could really help Spurs but he would too be a great fit for Mavs and they need a backup PF.
And he is only six months older than Oberto.

Streakyshooter08
06-27-2007, 04:56 AM
I guess Dallas and Phoenix are also interested in him. I'd like to see him on the Spurs.

Bruno
06-27-2007, 05:15 AM
I find that it's kinda strange that the only reference on the www about McDyess opting out is a line in a article about Flip Murray. I take this news with a grain of salt until there is other articles about that.

texasqb2
06-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I really don't think Oberto is coming back...I think he really messed up opting out (if he truly wanted to be a Spur). I would sign McDyess over Oberto in a heart beat.

tmtcsc
06-27-2007, 08:35 AM
I'd love to get Antonio McDyess here. He would be an awesome fit with us. He has no ego, lots of desire, knows how to play defense and fits within our team concept. Oberto doesn't need to go anywhere. McDyess can play PF behind tim. If anything, I would be fine moving Elson or not re-upping Bonner if we had to. If we have a shot at getting McDyess, I think we have to look into that.

Tim / Antonio: PF
Oberto / Elson: Center
Bonner : C / PF / SF

Darkwaters
06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
If you could get a frontcourt of:

Duncan/McDyess/Horry
Oberto/Butler/Elson

Then you'd be set. Of course, if you could dump Elson then you could bring Mahinmi over this season also. That just means no more Bonner and no draft picks.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm surprised at McDyess opting out. This could mean one of two interesting things:

1) He's letting buddy Billups sign first and conforming his contract to his, with extension.

2) He truly is looking elsewhere. That's a risky prospect unless he has a true sense of where he wants to go, which would be limited to championship-caliber teams.

I suppose he could be looking elsewhere with a chance to resign with the Pistons; perhaps it's an Oberto-type situation.

Soul_Patch
06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I traded Barry and fab for mcdyess and a second rounder on 2k7 =)

Darkwaters
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
The McDyess opt out surprises me too. But I think this means that we have a legit chance of landing him.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
It's settled. Your 2007-08 Spurs...

Starters
Parker
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Bench
Bonner
McDyess
Elson
Butler
Mahinmi
Horry
Scola

IR
Ely
Karaulov
Javtokas

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 10:29 AM
You forgot Grant Hill.

naico
06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
no that would be a wing player too much lol

pad300
06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
It's settled. Your 2007-08 Spurs...

Starters
Parker
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Bench
Bonner
McDyess
Elson
Butler
Mahinmi
Horry
Scola

IR
Ely
Karaulov
Javtokas

YAY!!! No more small ball! [/sarcasm off]

Darkwaters
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Who was it that said, "you can never have too many bigs"

Darkwaters
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I can see it already...

Announcer 1:
"On the floor for San Antonio is their starting lineup of Duncan, Oberto, Ginobili, Bowen and Parker. Wait, checking in for Bruce Bowen is, hmmm, Francisco Elson. Interesting choice there."

Announcer 2:
"Well, you know the Spurs like their defense. Pop must be unveiling his new 3 shot blocker defense. Knowing the Spurs, this could be interesting."

Announcer 1:

"You know, in a league that is moving to prefer the perimeter players it seems unusual for the Spurs to insist on having so many bigs on the floor. Oh, and it looks like Tony Parker is coming off the court. He will be replaced by...wait, who? Ian Mahinmi, the OTHER player from France will be taking over the PG position."

Announcer 2:

"Look, I know they're both French, but clearly Mahinmi is not the same player that Parker is."

Announcer 1:

"I guess this just comes to show how valuable shot-blocking is to this defense."

Announcer 2:

"I guess we can assume that Manu Ginobili will be operating this offense. With Duncan, Oberto, Mahinmi and Elson on the floor hes really the only competant playmaker out there...despite the fact that Duncan is a good passer out of the double team."

Announcer 1:

"Hold on there, it looks like the Spurs are bringing in Luis Scola. I think its safe to assume that Duncan will be heading to the bench. Who will run the offense now? Mahinmi?"

Announcer 2:

"Wait a second. It looks like Manu Ginobili is going to the bench instead of Duncan. ARE YOU KIDDING? The lineup out there is Duncan, Oberto, Elson, Mahinmi and Scola for San Antonio. How in the world?"

Announcer 1:

"And to make things worse, it looks like now Melvin Ely is going to get some time on the court"

Announcer 2:

"The Spurs really need to bring in a competant ballhandler. Mahinmi is looking horrible out there running the point and Melvin Ely isn't a good ballhandler either. They really need to play that guy Beno Udrih."

Announcer 1:

"WHOA! The Spurs aren't THAT desperate"

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2007, 11:16 AM
very interesting.......

McDyess a free agent?
Posted by A. Sherrod Blakely June 27, 2007 10:56AM

I spoke with Antonio McDyess' agent this morning, and he confirmed that McDyess has not filed for free agency.

"I have the paperwork right here on my desk," said his agent, Andy Miller. "I haven't seen the report, but I can tell you it's false."

Miller went on to say that no decision had been reached as to whether McDyess would test the free agent waters. But reading between the lines, it seems as though McDyess will likely return to Detroit and seek some type of contract extension which Joe Dumars has said in the past was something the Pistons would pursue with the 6-foot-9 forward.

http://blog.mlive.com/pistonsinsider/2007/06/mcdyess_a_free_agent.html

Bruno
06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I find that it's kinda strange that the only reference on the www about McDyess opting out is a line in a article about Flip Murray. I take this news with a grain of salt until there is other articles about that.

:smokin

tmtcsc
06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Someone on the Pistons forum had a quote from his agent saying it was a bogus report. He has not decided anything yet and has not filed for FA.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Someone on the Pistons forum had a quote from his agent saying it was a bogus report. He has not decided anything yet and has not filed for FA.

Check above two posts before Pistons Spurs posted it. :clap

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Almost 33, shot knees, and a woeful FT shooter. Not a good formula. I'll pass.

itzsoweezee
06-27-2007, 01:09 PM
no more geezers

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Almost 33, shot knees, and a woeful FT shooter. Not a good formula. I'll pass.

Rebounds well, defends well, shoots the ball well.

Yeah thats a horrible forumula to have in a backup 4 :rolleyes

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Rebounds well, defends well, shoots the ball well.

Yeah thats a horrible forumula to have in a backup 4 :rolleyes
Sure, if you're not over the hill, have healthy knees and aren't a liability at the stripe.

SAGambler
06-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Well, IF Dice does become available, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Spurs uniform. The guy does a lot of good things on the court. Wouldn't really expect much more than 12 - 15 mpg out of him, but I do think he can contribute in a positive way.

theMUHMEshow
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Dyess is still a Piston...that was a BS leak...

go to MLive.com to read more on Dyess.

bdubya
06-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Dice hasn't opted out yet, but he still might. IF he opts out, and we let someone outbid us, it means we're in full-on rebuilding mode and won't contend next year. If that's the case, I'd like to see him in SA. But I'd much rather see him stay in Detroit.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Sure, if you're not over the hill,
Still put up 5pts and 7rebs a game, which is better than all of our big men except Duncan.

have healthy knees
That didn't stop him from playing a whole season at 21mpg.

and aren't a liability at the stripe.
He's already fitting in with us.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 02:00 PM
OK. I'm back to not being surprised he hasn't opted out.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
he would be PERFECT to play along Duncan

then we could says goodby to Oberto

Dyess>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oberto

and it's not even close

K-State Spur
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Sure, if you're not over the hill, have healthy knees and aren't a liability at the stripe.

He's played in every game the past 2 years (and 77 the year before that), so his knees aren't THAT bad. He can't jump out of the gym like he used to, but he's adapted his game to still being a productive player. I wouldn't want to sign him to a 4 year deal, but he's not showing signs of being over the hill yet.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
He'd instantly be our best rotation big other than Duncan.

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Chris McCosky

Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM

About McDyess

Antonio McDyess hasn't officially picked up his option for the $6.3 million he will make next season -- but you have to believe he will. The Pistons have already indicated that they would sit down and try to work out an extension with McDyess, starting at that $6.3 million. If McDyess waives his option and enters free agency, he knows the most he would get (if he could get it) would be another mid-level exception. The mid-level exception will be less than $6.3 million. So, he would be leaving money on the table if he opts out.

Now, here's something to think about. McDyess lives in Houston. Houston needs frontcourt help. Houston would probably love to offer McDyess their mid-level exception, if he opted out. If McDyess thinks the Pistons will lose his buddy Chauncey Billups to free agency, the Houston option might become more attractive. The thing is, though, time is running out. McDyess has to make his decision by the close of business Friday. Billups isn't a free agent until July 1. So, McDyess may have to take a leap of faith -- one way or the other.

http://info.detnews.com/pistonsblog/index.cfm

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Could somebody change the name of this thread?

ducks
06-27-2007, 04:43 PM
to?

thousandth
06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
he would be PERFECT to play along Duncan

then we could says goodby to Oberto

Dyess>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oberto

and it's not even close

Seriously, why?. Oberto played much better in this postseason than McDyess. Without lot stats Oberto played hard and smart basket. I like Antonio, but don't play better than Oberto.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-27-2007, 05:13 PM
The Pistons owe us one after stealing our beloved Nazr. . .

or do we owe the Pistons one?

lotr1trekkie
06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
[B]Too old and too expensive unless he signs for a minimum. Even then he can't play Euro ball with Manu.