PDA

View Full Version : OBERTO Agent: "He has no intention of going anywhere else,"

spurscenter
06-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Mike Monroe of the Express News

If the Spurs are to return the lineup that started every game of the 2007 Western Conference finals and NBA Finals, they will have to negotiate a new contract for center Fabricio Oberto.

After a strong playoff run in which he was the team's most accurate shooter and its No. 3 rebounder, Oberto informed the Spurs on Monday he has decided to opt out of the final year of the three-year contract he signed before the 2005-06 season.

Oberto made $2.5 million last season. He could have returned next season for the same amount. Instead, he will become a restricted free agent on July 1.

While there is certain to be interest in Oberto from other teams, both in the NBA and overseas, he wants to remain in San Antonio.

"Fabricio had the right to pick up the third year of his contract," said Herb Rudoy, Oberto's agent, who added his client wants to remain with the Spurs beyond next season. "What he really did was decide not to opt in, but it is absolutely with the hope and intention of staying in San Antonio and winning more championships."

Rudoy is confident head coach and executive vice president of basketball operations Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford feel just as strongly about keeping Oberto.

"He has no intention of going anywhere else," said the Chicago-based agent, who also represents Oberto's Argentine teammate, Manu Ginobili. "That's why he did it. The whole purpose of this is to get a new contract. They recognize his contribution. R.C. and Pop are smart guys and they know he fits like a glove with the whole system and the way he plays.

"The plan is for me to negotiate a deal at the appropriate time with R.C. and have him stay there."

Buford said the club "will do everything we can" to make certain Oberto stays.

"I think everybody here appreciates what Fab brings," Buford said. "We understand his importance to our team, to our organization and in our locker room."

Oberto signed with the Spurs on Aug. 2, 2005, becoming a 30-year-old NBA rookie after 12 professional seasons in Argentina, Greece and Spain. He spent his first season adapting to the NBA and learning the Spurs' systems, playing in only 59 of 82 games and averaging only 1.7 points.

He returned for the 2006-07 season as the team's opening night starting center.

In the fifth game of the season, Oberto set a club record for field-goal accuracy by making 11 of 11 shots in a victory over the Phoenix Suns. He averaged 5.0 points and 4.8 rebounds in 80 regular-season games.

Francisco Elson, signed as a free agent last summer, replaced Oberto in the starting lineup midway through the season. Oberto adapted easily to coming off the bench and remained a regular member of the playing rotation.

When the playoffs arrived, Oberto's role increased significantly.

He returned to the starting lineup for Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinal series against Phoenix.

He started the final 12 games of the team's run to the NBA title, and averaged 5.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in 20 postseason games.

Oberto was especially effective against the Utah Jazz in the Western Conference finals. He made 12 of 15 shots in the first two games. He scored 11 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in a decisive Game 4 victory in Salt Lake City that gave the Spurs a 3-1 lead.

Supergirl
06-27-2007, 07:34 AM
I love Oberto on this team. He brings the fire and energy that Manu brings, a willingness to start OR come off the bench without griping, and having him and Manu on the team together has opened up some great offensive sets ripped from the Argentina playbook.

Cry Havoc
06-27-2007, 07:38 AM
In 5 years, people are going to forget about the contribution he made. He was one of if not our best hustle player in the playoffs. He doesn't have Elson's legs but Oberto was clutch for us in so many uncountable ways.

PM5K
06-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Talk about shitty negotiating..

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 07:44 AM
As someone said in the earlier thread....

This is the expected posturing by both sides. I'm sure Oberto wants to come back and I'm sure the Spurs want to bring him back....

But if Oberto wants to come back a $5M/year player for the next 4yrs and the Spurs want him back for $4M over the next two or three....then the story changes.

Expect this to remain civil, but Rudoy is likely to build interest in his client from other teams. As Oberto is a restricted FA, Rudoy will get the most $$ by pitting the Spurs against other clubs to drive up Oberto's market value....which is always higher when clubs have to deter the host team from matching.

So, if a team REALLY wants Oberto, he is likely to get an extra guaranteed year or an extra $1-2M per year over what he might have gotten as an unrestricted FA.

Again, right now it's posturing....on 1 July, it's business.

smeagol
06-27-2007, 07:52 AM
As I dsaid in the other thread, before these comments from his agents became public, Oberto will remain a Spur.

Anybody care to bet?

SpursWillOwn
06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
He's really clutch i remember 1 play in the winding moments in the Finals.. game 2? he pumped fake and drew a foul on gooden for a 3 point play woo! Fab! ulous!

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 08:05 AM
As I dsaid in the other thread, before these comments from his agents became public, Oberto will remain a Spur.

Anybody care to bet?

I won't bet on whether he's gonna be a Spur at the start of the '07-'08 season....

BUT, I'd be willing to bet that he'll sign an offer sheet from another team, and it will take the Spurs matching it for him to be back.

BeerIsGood!
06-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Do the Spurs try to get McDyess or is Oberto more valuable at this point since he's in the system and a proven winner in it?

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Do the Spurs try to get McDyess or is Oberto more valuable at this point since he's in the system and a proven winner in it?

IMO, the Spurs won't go after McDyess unless he's willing to come to the Spurs at a discount...which is unlikely.

texasqb2
06-27-2007, 08:26 AM
McDyess hands down....plus his stock is a little lower just b/c of what Oberto did at the end of the season, but let's not forget how bad Oberto had been. McDyess has so much talent and a good jumper...no brainer IMO

Fabbs
06-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I seriously doubt we can bank on facing a 2008 Finals opponent as wimpy as Cleveland was. Fabs was able to make some shots, but standing under the hoop, catching a pass and laying it in from one foot may not happen as often in '08.

Also on D, playing an opponent with a coach who learned offense from other then Popavich will be a much greater challenge. I say the Spurs keep up the search for a long three and if Fabs signs for a resonable amount and years, fine. If not, perhaps a much better replacement can be found.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Talk about shitty negotiating..

That misses the point. He's not an ego guy. He wants his 3.5-4mil for three years, and he'll get it, and everyone will be happy. You can bet both sides of this have already decided how it's going to go.

NOT EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS ABOUT MAXIMISING YOUR $$$$$! Quality of life matters. I wish more people would wake up to this, although I admit it is the nature of the NBA.

Fab will never have to worry about money, he already knows that, so he's going to do what's good for him.

In all of this the evil bastards are the agents who play all sorts of games to maximise their own payday... :devil

/rant

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM

Anybody care to bet?

I'll take any bettors too. He'll sign for the Spurs for $3.5-4.5 mil, 2-3 years guaranteed.

Oh, and if someone offers him 5mil over 4 years, that just confirms that people never learn from history, which of course we already know, and that that particular GM is an idiot... who will it be? Isaiah? Billy King? Mark Cuban? :lol

BeerIsGood!
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
IMO, the Spurs won't go after McDyess unless he's willing to come to the Spurs at a discount...which is unlikely.

What's McDyess' value at this point? It seems the Pistons may not want his services any longer as they readjust their front court, and how many other teams would throw money at this guy?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Maybe McDyess wants to latch onto us to win a ring? He has a nice jumper, plays decent D... but maybe there's an injury worry we don't know about? Maybe the guys on the Pistons side of the forum know more...

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 08:47 AM
That misses the point. He's not an ego guy. He wants his 3.5-4mil for three years, and he'll get it, and everyone will be happy. You can bet both sides of this have already decided how it's going to go.

NOT EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS ABOUT MAXIMISING YOUR $$$$$! Quality of life matters. I wish more people would wake up to this, although I admit it is the nature of the NBA.

Fab will never have to worry about money, he already knows that, so he's going to do what's good for him.

In all of this the evil bastards are the agents who play all sorts of games to maximise their own payday... :devil

/rant

Why would Oberto take an outright deal of $3.5-4M per year to stay with the Spurs when he can play them against all of the other potential bidders to drive up the price? I guarantee they don't have something already worked out, and even if they do....a 4yr deal @ $4-5M per year offer from the Bulls/Raps/Mavs/Grizz/etc. will likely change that.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 08:48 AM
What's McDyess' value at this point? It seems the Pistons may not want his services any longer as they readjust their front court, and how many other teams would throw money at this guy?

If the Pistons don't want him, I'm thinking he'll get offers (not all competitive) from almost every other team in the league...and someone is going to give him a deal at or near the full MLE.

smeagol
06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I won't bet on whether he's gonna be a Spur at the start of the '07-'08 season....

BUT, I'd be willing to bet that he'll sign an offer sheet from another team, and it will take the Spurs matching it for him to be back.
Do you think other teams will go crazy and offer either 4 year contracts or too much money?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Why would Oberto take an outright deal of $3.5-4M per year to stay with the Spurs when he can play them against all of the other potential bidders to drive up the price? I guarantee they don't have something already worked out, and even if they do....a 4yr deal @ $4-5M per year offer from the Bulls/Raps/Mavs/Grizz/etc. will likely change that.

I think we'll match up to 4.5 for 3 years, and he'll take it

If someone offers him 5 and 4 years we can find a replacement, but I don't see any of the teams you mentioned doing that. Everyone knows his performance in the playoffs was an artefact of his perfect fit in our system (ie. he is not a starter in most systems), and of the teams you mention I can see only Cuban being stupid enough to offer him dumb money. Do you think he'd leave the Spurs to play for Mark Cuban for less than 20mil? I don't. And I don't think Cuban would be stupid enough to offer it to him - he has other things to worry about than his centre rotation.

The Bulls need a post player and that is their focus. The Raps and Grizz are running teams and he's more effective in the half-court.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Do you think other teams will go crazy and offer either 4 year contracts or too much money?

First...."too much money" is in the eye of the beholder.

And to your general question....

Restricted FA causes teams to make commitments that they normally wouldn't because they're afraid the host team could match.

Two years ago, Joe Johnson signed a max deal with the Hawks in which the contract stipulated a $20M up-front payment...and they STILL executed a sign-and-trade (Diaw and two first-rounders) because they were afraid Phx would match.

Obviously that was the most idiotic decision by the most idiotic GM in all of Sports...but it is certainly not the only example of teams adding deterrence measures to ensure the host team won't match...

So the answer to your question is...Yes, I do think a team will step forward with a deal that adds a guaranteed year to the deal the Spurs have on the table and/or an extra $1-2M per year.

MoSpur
06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
I hope Oberto and his agent don't go to high when it comes to the numbers. I don't think the Spurs will pay too much for him.

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Agents lie.

bdictjames
06-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I like Oberto, he complements Duncan very good, at least better than Elson. I hope he stays.

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I think we'll match up to 4.5 for 3 years, and he'll take it

If someone offers him 5 and 4 years we can find a replacement, but I don't see any of the teams you mentioned doing that. Everyone knows his performance in the playoffs was an artefact of his perfect fit in our system (ie. he is not a starter in most systems), and of the teams you mention I can see only Cuban being stupid enough to offer him dumb money. Do you think he'd leave the Spurs to play for Mark Cuban for less than 20mil? I don't. And I don't think Cuban would be stupid enough to offer it to him - he has other things to worry about than his centre rotation.

The Bulls need a post player and that is their focus. The Raps and Grizz are running teams and he's more effective in the half-court.

First let me say that I disagree the Spurs will pay over $4M and over 3yrs to keep Oberto...but then again, neither you or I really know what they'll do.

And if someone throws $20M at him, whether it's the Mavs or not, I think he'd find it hard NOT to sign that offer sheet and leave it in the hands of the Spurs. That way, he can always say that the Spurs had the opportunity to match, but didn't...and place the onus on them.

About the specific teams...

Bulls do need a low-post threat, but they also need post players in general (Sweetney and Brown are FAs). Skiles and the GM are also fond of "character" and "team" guys. I'm just saying it's possible.

Accidentally threw the Grizz in there because of the report two summers ago that West liked Oberto...but West is gone from Memphis...my bad.

Raptors have one legitimate center (Nesterovic) and an affinity for international players. Colangelo was willing to take on Nesterovic's big contract, so what makes you think he won't overpay for a role guy like Oberto?

And there are probably a few other teams that will enter the bidding that we're not considering...

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I hope Oberto and his agent don't go to high when it comes to the numbers. I don't think the Spurs will pay too much for him.

With Scola's buyout at a low point, Mahinmi available to join the team at any time, Butler poised for a breakout year in his second year with this team, and so on and so forth....I guarantee they won't pay too much for him.

lotr1trekkie
06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
[B] Oberto's deal is already done and his agent & the Spurs are just dancing for the audience. That's why he opted out BEFORE the draft. The Spurs center duo will be back.
Finley's waiting until after the draft to declare seems to mean that he wants more than the Spurs are willing to pay/extend him. If I'm correct he's going the way of Claxton and Jackson and looking at the $$$ now that he has a ring. Go back to Stevey Boy and watch the Spurs on TV again next season! The Spurs will draft a replacement for him and let Barry play out his contract next year as the started. No loss there.

gus
06-27-2007, 10:49 AM
In Ole newspaper they today said Oberto is wanting 8M 3y.-

Gus

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
[B] Oberto's deal is already done and his agent & the Spurs are just dancing for the audience. That's why he opted out BEFORE the draft. The Spurs center duo will be back.
Finley's waiting until after the draft to declare seems to mean that he wants more than the Spurs are willing to pay/extend him. If I'm correct he's going the way of Claxton and Jackson and looking at the $$$ now that he has a ring. Go back to Stevey Boy and watch the Spurs on TV again next season! The Spurs will draft a replacement for him and let Barry play out his contract next year as the started. No loss there.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72533

Man, Finley haters kill me.

:lol

coopdogg3
06-27-2007, 11:03 AM

Gus

Wow, if that's all he wants, sign the guy and get it over with.

pad300
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
First let me say that I disagree the Spurs will pay over $4M and over 3yrs to keep Oberto...but then again, neither you or I really know what they'll do.

And if someone throws $20M at him, whether it's the Mavs or not, I think he'd find it hard NOT to sign that offer sheet and leave it in the hands of the Spurs. That way, he can always say that the Spurs had the opportunity to match, but didn't...and place the onus on them.

About the specific teams...

Bulls do need a low-post threat, but they also need post players in general (Sweetney and Brown are FAs). Skiles and the GM are also fond of "character" and "team" guys. I'm just saying it's possible.

Accidentally threw the Grizz in there because of the report two summers ago that West liked Oberto...but West is gone from Memphis...my bad.

Raptors have one legitimate center (Nesterovic) and an affinity for international players. Colangelo was willing to take on Nesterovic's big contract, so what makes you think he won't overpay for a role guy like Oberto?

And there are probably a few other teams that will enter the bidding that we're not considering...

Not to mention that I personally suspect that SA will be reluctant to accept anything that doesn't have a team option in summer 08. They might match up to the MLE (from early bird rights), but they will want to be able to maximize their cap space in 08. The other important factor will be the draft. If they come out with a big (or even 2, working on best player available theory), they might just be in a bit of a roster crunch. Certainly that would jeopardize the return of Bonner, Oberto, or both (especially if Mahnimi comes over)...

thispego
06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
McDyess hands down....plus his stock is a little lower just b/c of what Oberto did at the end of the season, but let's not forget how bad Oberto had been. McDyess has so much talent and a good jumper...no brainer IMO
refresh our memory... when was oberto bad? when he wasn't playing?

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Gus

Cool. My guess was he'd get offered between 3 years/9M and 3 years/11M from the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Good. Hopefully another team won't throw a wrench into the works.

Bruno
06-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Gus

http://www.ole.com.ar/notas/2007/06/27/01446076.html :)

coopdogg3
06-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Good. Hopefully another team won't throw a wrench into the works.

Yeah that's my fear too. "3-year, $8 million sounds great. I love playing here. I love playing with Manu. Lets get it done. Wow, Dallas is offering 4-year, $16 million??? Well, it wasn't THAT much fun playing in SA."

AFBlue
06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah that's my fear too. "3-year, $8 million sounds great. I love playing here. I love playing with Manu. Lets get it done. Wow, Dallas is offering 4-year, $16 million??? Well, it wasn't THAT much fun playing in SA."

Very likely...

The Red Hood
06-27-2007, 11:54 AM
With Scola's buyout at a low point, Mahinmi available to join the team at any time, Butler poised for a breakout year in his second year with this team, and so on and so forth....I guarantee they won't pay too much for him.

Will Mahinmi be able to play next season with us I heard he has a pretty bad injury I hop that if Oberto does leave the Spurs he does not go to a competitive team like the mavs the last thing we need is Oberto guarding Duncan well in the playoffs

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Finley's waiting until after the draft to declare seems to mean that he wants more than the Spurs are willing to pay/extend him. If I'm correct he's going the way of Claxton and Jackson and looking at the $$$ now that he has a ring. Go back to Stevey Boy and watch the Spurs on TV again next season! The Spurs will draft a replacement for him and let Barry play out his contract next year as the started. No loss there.Rock solid post -- excellent reasoning and unassailable logic.

I do see one tiny problem, however.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Will Mahinmi be able to play next season with us I heard he has a pretty bad injury I hop that if Oberto does leave the Spurs he does not go to a competitive team like the mavs the last thing we need is Oberto guarding Duncan well in the playoffs

Where did you hear it was a pretty bad injury? Was there an update?

I thought he'd likely be out 6-8 weeks or so.

easjer
06-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Oberto will only go to another legit contender (remember the fuss that was put up around possible trades?), and nearly all of them have rotation/$ issues large enough to preclude the idea of simply trying to screw with the Spurs.

I believe that he opted out to gain more stability, and that it was not a move that surprised the Spurs. I don't think he's going to quibble too much over $ if he can win. Maybe I'll be wrong, but if that is the case, he's welcome to walk through the open door, and I'll thank him politely on his way out for his contributions, wish him well and start deciding how to replace him.

This is really a win-win situation, as far as I'm concerned.

BIG IRISH
06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Obert may have no intention of going anywhere else," BUT
neither did Steven Jackson/SJ or his agent got a little bit greedy
and Pop & RC said Bye-Bye

easjer
06-27-2007, 12:33 PM

Well, personally, I believed then and now that SJax was more interested in the $ than the Spurs. Which is fine. I didn't think then and I don't think now that you should cripple yourself for a mediocre player (which he was at the time).

I tend to believe that Oberto is more interested in the Spurs than the $. Could he or his agent by lying? Yeah, and maybe someone makes an offer and the $signs flash before his eyes.

I just doubt it. Maybe I'll be wrong - in which case, Spurs replace him.

Brutalis
06-27-2007, 02:24 PM
His agent is lying and doing his job well.

I like Oberto, a lot. I really do. But if he fucks around and ends up on his ass for a shit team gettng 7 mins per, then you deserve it.

smeagol
06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Oberto is not SJackson.

Oberto is intelligent, SJax . . . well not so intelligent.

pjjrfan
06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I seriously doubt we can bank on facing a 2008 Finals opponent as wimpy as Cleveland was. Fabs was able to make some shots, but standing under the hoop, catching a pass and laying it in from one foot may not happen as often in '08.

Also on D, playing an opponent with a coach who learned offense from other then Popavich will be a much greater challenge. I say the Spurs keep up the search for a long three and if Fabs signs for a resonable amount and years, fine. If not, perhaps a much better replacement can be found.
That's a good observation but at the same time neither Rasho, Nazr or Elson could sneak down low to get those easy baskets, none of those guys really utilized Tim's talents the way Oberto does. Oberto's basketball IQ just fits in nicely with what the Spurs do on offense, and he has now figured out how to play within Tony's game. The other factor is how well Oberto has learned the defense, not a shot blocker, but he moves his feet well, and as far as I could tell was always there for the help defense especially in the playoffs.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 03:26 PM
He's the best starting 5 the Spurs have had since DRob retired. He may also continue to be the least expensive one.

SpursFanInAustin
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
He's the best starting 5 the Spurs have had since DRob retired. He may also continue to be the least expensive one.

Let's hope you're right on the last sentence.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
He's the best starting 5 the Spurs have had since DRob retired.Faint praise.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 03:42 PM
If someone throws the bank at him, then good for him. I hope he has success. If he takes a pay hike to stay with the Spurs, it's money well earned IMO.

And I thought Jack actually took less money to go to Atlanta. Oberto has a history of good decisions to make that look unlikely.

temujin
06-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Oberto is intelligent and will most likely be a Spur.
3 years, 10 Millions.

Anybody offering more will have to be a serious contender, no Knicks whatsoever.

Spurs should not offer more, having Scola on hand.

silverheart
06-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Oberto's deal is already done and his agent & the Spurs are just dancing for the audience. That's why he opted out BEFORE the draft. The Spurs center duo will be back

Now I'm sorry if I misunderstood but Oberto stays with Spurs still if other team offering better conditions and showing interest? I think that he can't do it. Legally sticky situation.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 04:07 PM
I didn't think they were allowed to sign him until after July first, or is that just for unrestricted free agents?

thousandth
06-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, I agree. :clap
I read in this forum he's the consistent playing center that the Spurs have been needing for a while (since DRob retired?) but I don't remember, who's write this? :lol Me? or You, bro? :toast

thousandth
06-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I didn't think they were allowed to sign him until after July first, or is that just for unrestricted free agents?

Oberto's an unrestricted free agents and he can't negotiate or to make a deal before july first.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh. My bad, I thought he was restricted. I was kind of half right, then.

Cherry
06-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Relax, he prefers long term contract over money. :wakeup

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-28-2007, 01:52 AM
http://www.ole.com.ar/notas/2007/06/28/01446621.html

Basically:

- He says he is very happy living in S.A.

- He wants to stay and so does the front office. He adapted well and the Spurs are happy with his role.

- He opted out because he is looking for an extension at this stage of his career.

- He says he doesn't have any offers and he just wants to stay with the Spurs.

- He says they'll reach an agreement soon, he feels happy to be in a team like this.

- "I'm a fan of this team. I'm proud of playing alongside Tim, Tony, Manu... We all want our teammates playing well. I fought for a spot in the rotation with Francisco Elson and everything was cool. And Duncan is the star that leads that way".

- When asked about his retirement, he answered that he is "32, but feels like 28. The mental health(sic) of the team helps a lot, how they take care of a player's body. It's the ideal team, like a family. I feel great, but I'm not sure about the end of my carrer. I used to live in a hurry and paid for it. Now I do things slowly, enjoying the moment.

For those of you who doubted, well...in the US pro-sports world, it seems that everything is about money, because they way the franchises and contracts work. But I never had a doubt Fabricio was going to be back with the Spurs next season.

And tomorrow Cuban offers him 20M/5yrs, he accepts the offer and I'm an asshole :lol

Bruno
06-28-2007, 02:18 AM
^Thanks.
Everything can happen during the FA period, but there are good chances that Oberto re-sign with Spurs.

thousandth
06-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Oh. My bad, I thought he was restricted. I was kind of half right, then.

Sorry, bro. He was restricted. I was wrong.

ploto
06-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Wait until the Spurs low ball him and then we'll see how he feels.

smeagol
06-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Wait until the Spurs low ball him and then we'll see how he feels.
You realize you set up yourself for nasty responses, don't you?

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Basically:

- He says he is very happy living in S.A.

- He wants to stay and so does the front office. He adapted well and the Spurs are happy with his role.

- He opted out because he is looking for an extension at this stage of his career.

- He says he doesn't have any offers and he just wants to stay with the Spurs.

- He says they'll reach an agreement soon, he feels happy to be in a team like this.

- "I'm a fan of this team. I'm proud of playing alongside Tim, Tony, Manu... We all want our teammates playing well. I fought for a spot in the rotation with Francisco Elson and everything was cool. And Duncan is the star that leads that way".

- When asked about his retirement, he answered that he is "32, but feels like 28. The mental health(sic) of the team helps a lot, how they take care of a player's body. It's the ideal team, like a family. I feel great, but I'm not sure about the end of my carrer. I used to live in a hurry and paid for it. Now I do things slowly, enjoying the moment.

For those of you who doubted, well...in the US pro-sports world, it seems that everything is about money, because they way the franchises and contracts work. But I never had a doubt Fabricio was going to be back with the Spurs next season.

And tomorrow Cuban offers him 20M/5yrs, he accepts the offer and I'm an asshole :lol

Uhh...he doesn't have an offer because FA hasn't begun.

When FA begins, I can think of a few teams that might be interested in a savvy veteran role player with a championship ring....

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Uhh...he doesn't have an offer because FA hasn't begun.

When FA begins, I can think of a few teams that might be interested in a savvy veteran role player with a championship ring....
I think he means that no one has called him telling him that they have the intention of giving him an offer.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I think he means that no one has called him telling him that they have the intention of giving him an offer.

Isn't that illegal...to contact somone else's player? I understand he filed for FA a few days ago, but:

a) Most GMs and decision-makers are focused on the draft at this point.

b) FA doesn't technically begin until 1 Jul, so he is still technically a Spur.

So...MMLH is wrong!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
If you think NO teams are going to call him and at least inquire about obtaining his services...you're wrong.
:wtf I didn't even state my own opinion. I was just trying to interpret what Manu'sMagicalLeftHand was trying to say.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 11:41 AM
:wtf I didn't even state my own opinion. I was just trying to interpret what Manu'sMagicalLeftHand was trying to say.

My bad....said comment has been edited.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
No prob. :toast

spurscenter
06-28-2007, 11:52 AM

hahhahahaha

xamila rey
06-28-2007, 02:57 PM
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=921074&origen=relacionadas

"Yo me quiero quedar y el equipo quiere que yo siga. Que quede claro, no tengo interés de irme a otro lugar. Ya está todo arreglado, no hay riesgos", dijo con mucha tranquilidad Oberto, aunque no mencionó detalles, seguramente, porque San Antonio aún no hizo oficial el convenio.

Here Oberto says that he wants to stay with the spurs, and the spurs want him to stay also. He says that everything is already talked, and there is not risks.

WalterBenitez
06-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Agents lie.
Pop lie too!

Bruno
06-29-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.lmcordoba.com.ar/2007/06/28/nota140600.html

Me siento muy cómodo jugando en los Spurs. Rescindí el contrato, pero para poder quedarme, no me interesa jugar en otro equipo. Quiero seguir y ellos quieren que siga, es cuestión de sentarnos a charlar. Si no lo rescindía me quedaba un año, lo hice para poder negociar por tres años más que es lo que realmente quiero

Is Oberto saying that he wants a 3 years contract ?

ducks
06-29-2007, 03:55 PM
heard 3 years 8.25 million

ducks
06-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Gus
sorry 8 not 8.25
page 2 of this thread

ducks
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Pop lie too!