PDA

View Full Version : XBOX360 Problems. Post yours?

Soul_Patch
06-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Well my wife and i bought an xbox360 for ourselves last december, as our xmas gift to each other. (yes she likes to play too).

By January the thing was pretty much unplayable, locking up nearly every time you turned it on. I took it back to walmart and exchanged it.

So my new one has been fine, untill this week. I turn it on, and sometimes it comes on, other times i just get a blinking red ring around the power button and nothing. When it does come on, it usually doesnt stay on for longer than about 3 minutes, then makes a beep noise, and locks up completely.

I have since read xbox's are notorious for this, im just wondering what my options are, or if anyone else had the same shit happen. Can i take it back after almost 6 to 7 months of owning it? Is there a return policy through microsoft?

has this happened to you?? God i wish i could just get my damn money back, sucks so much spending so much money on something that is basically garbage now.

BeerIsGood!
06-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Walmart won't give you a return or refund, but you can go through Microsoft to get a repair or replacement.

PM5K
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah shit happens. Call Microsoft and they'll set you up with a repair, you send it to them, they send you another unit back, takes less than a week.

If you are really fed up with it sell it when you get the other unit back.

Personally I love my 360 and I think Microsoft did about as well as they could have with the repair process.

leemajors
06-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah shit happens. Call Microsoft and they'll set you up with a repair, you send it to them, they send you another unit back, takes less than a week.

If you are really fed up with it sell it when you get the other unit back.

Personally I love my 360 and I think Microsoft did about as well as they could have with the repair process.
yeah their initial less than one year warranty was a stroke of genius.

resistanze
06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
If you meant you bought it in January 20007, you should be still under warranty. Call Microsoft so they can repair it.

XBOX 360 is the system has the best games IMO and is my preferred choice outta the 3 consoles (at least for now). But the console design is a piece of shit, no denying this.

u2sarajevo
06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
There was a thread here once about some towel trick to "fix" the 360.

I want one, but from the stuff I read about them I think I'm going to get a Wii (I have kids though and that console is more kid friendly).

PM5K
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
yeah their initial less than one year warranty was a stroke of genius.

They took care of that so who cares... But yeah you are right...

Holmes_Fans
06-27-2007, 10:03 AM
The 360 is SHIT in the reliability section, I know a lot of people who have had to send theirs in. The break rate in the UK I read a few days ago is %50

DarkReign
06-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Lesson Learned: Dont buy systems on the first run. Always wait.

Bought mine last year October-ish. Works like a charm.

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Send it into Microsoft, they'll put a heatsink in and ship it back to you and if not theyll just send you a new one. My biggest problem with the 360 is I beat up on everyone in NBA 2k7 and cant find any competition lately :depressed

PM5K
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Lesson Learned: Dont buy systems on the first run. Always wait.

Bought mine last year October-ish. Works like a charm.

I bought mine almost a year and a half after they were released and I still had the same problem.

Soul_Patch
06-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Yea mine was bought in December 06 / January 07 timeframe. Well the first was bought in november 06, then returned due to lock ups....the second was sometime late dec early jan. Even worse is my old regular xbox had the same damn problems the entire time i owned it, i just lived with it, as it only seem'd to give me problems with EA games. I should have learned my lesson.

Ill see about the return thing. Sucks i was just finishing my first season on 2k7, going into the playoffs...ughh...

Ballcox
06-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Never had a single problem with mine so far, know that doesn't help but it's been a great system for me.

2Blonde
06-27-2007, 12:19 PM
My husband bought one in April '07 and it started having trouble in June. He was running Madden '07 at the time but none of his other discs would work after that. He sent it in to MS and they fixed it. When we got it back the Madden disc still wouldn't work. I guess because it got destroyed when the XBox360 went bad. The other games worked fine though. We had to go out and buy a new Madden'07. At least it was half price since it's so close to the new release date of '08.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Got mine in January and haven't had a problem with it yet.

dirk4mvp
06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Got it for Christmas last year and haven't had a problem with it.

phyzik
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
only problem I've had is with the game DiRT... every once in a while it wont load a track and says to clean the disk.... no other problems.

ObiwanGinobili
06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I read recently that the failure rate for the Xbox 360's is over 30%!

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Mine on a rare occasion will say "The disk is dirty or scratched"

but other than that, I've had mine since 3 days after the debut, and its worked like a charm.

Burn531
06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm on my 3rd box. The launch 360 I got broke in January 06'. I sent it to MS and got a new one. That box broke in December 06'. The one I have now I've had since January 07'.

jaespur21
06-27-2007, 05:09 PM
i love my xbox 360 and its never ever let me down. all together ive easily spent over 1200-1500 dollars on my 360 and I CANT Wait till this december when the add the dvr function to the 360

Avitus1
06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
My problem is simple

Not enough games!

This is not nearly as bad as an identical problem that I have with Ps3.

resistanze
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Shouldn't matter if it's an XBOX from launch date to an XBOX Elite...the design of the clamp holding the heatsink of the GPU/CPU is flawed. It bends over time with heat causing many consoles to suffer from insufficient heatsink-CPU/GPU contact. That's where the majority of the red lights come from.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
My problem with it is that I don't own one.

ducks
06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
why buy bills crap?

SpursWoman
06-27-2007, 07:40 PM
My problem with it is that I don't own one.

Ditto. :lol

Soul_Patch
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I called in yesterday, they are sending me a box so that i can send it in to fix.

I love it so far...wish there were a few more games, but hopefully that changes in time. It still pisses me off though that there are so many problems with the thing.

nba 2k7 is the absolute shit.

tw05baller
06-28-2007, 01:59 PM
my 360 is currently in McAllen, TX being fixed at the repair center.

maxpower
06-30-2007, 02:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGEAIfPAG6Y

boutons_
07-06-2007, 02:38 AM
July 5, 2007

Microsoft Plans $1 Billion Charge for Xbox Repairs

By REUTERS

Filed at 6:45 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. <MSFT.O> said on Thursday said it would take a more than $1 billion charge to fix "an unacceptable number of repairs" to its Xbox 360 video game consoles and had missed shipment targets for the end of June.

Microsoft is under pressure with mounting complaints about Xbox 360 failures on the Internet and growing expectations that Sony Corp. <6758.T> could slash the price of its rival PlayStation 3 console at a video game exposition next week.

So far Microsoft has the lead on Sony in the battle for high-end video game machines, but it shipped only 11.6 million 360s by the end of June, compared with a target of about 12 million, Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell said during a conference call with analysts on Thursday.

Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, said the timing of the announcement about the charge for the quarter ending in June and a new extended warranty were unrelated to any potential move by Sony.

"This is just one of those things that happens when it happens," Bach said in an interview. "We reached our conclusion early this week and because it's a financially meaningful issue we had to announce it immediately."

The hardware issue has marred a string of successes for Xbox 360, which has built an early lead over the PlayStation 3 with Microsoft's strong lineup of games and popular online service.

But it is also finding increasing competition for some parts of its business, such as Apple Inc.'s <AAPL.O> incursion into television shows delivered over the Web, which is also a feature of the Xbox online service.

RED FLASHING LIGHTS

Microsoft said it had investigated the sources of hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console and had identified "a number of factors" that can cause such failures.

Bach said many of those factors took time to show up in the consoles, explaining why the number of repairs had grown in the second year of the Xbox 360's release. He would not say exactly how many Xbox 360s had been returned due to hardware issues except that "the number is too large."

The company said it would extend warranty coverage to three years to cover the problem and would reimburse customers who had previously paid for repairs related to the three-flashing-lights error message. It also said it has made improvements to the Xbox 360 console.

The charge will be in a range of $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion, before taxes, for the quarter ended June 30, Microsoft said.

Microsoft had already cut its forecast for Xbox 360 shipments in January. It had previously forecast shipments of 13 million to 15 million by the end of June.

"What you have to ask yourself as an investor is, should Microsoft be in the hardware business?" said Kim Caughey, senior analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group, which oversees about $1.2 billion, including Microsoft shares, for clients.

She added, however, that the charge should not be a concern for long-term investors.

"It's a lot of money, let's not say it isn't," Caughey said. "But if you're a long-term holder, I don't think it's going to have that great an impact."

Bach said the new warranty would not impact the Xbox division's plan to turn a profit in fiscal 2008, which started this month.

He was also mum on the issue of whether Microsoft would announce a price cut for the Xbox 360 console if Sony made a similar move.

"We will assess what we do with pricing and other aspects of our business based on our own business," he said.

Microsoft shares dropped slightly to $29.91 after closing at $29.99 on Nasdaq.

Soul_Patch
07-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Thats nice to hear. This will be my third 360 in less than a year. I dont have high hopes for it, but its nice to know if it go's south im still covered for a while.

ATRAIN
07-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Shouldn't matter if it's an XBOX from launch date to an XBOX Elite...the design of the clamp holding the heatsink of the GPU/CPU is flawed. It bends over time with heat causing many consoles to suffer from insufficient heatsink-CPU/GPU contact. That's where the majority of the red lights come from.

So does the fix that they perform only work temporarily?

resistanze
07-06-2007, 09:02 AM
So does the fix that they perform only work temporarily?
You mean Microsoft? A lot of the time they just exchange your XBOX with a refurbished one, so the problem usually shows up after time once again. If they repair it, I assume they replace the clamps or something, which would still cause the console to die eventually.

There's a fix on the internet which has had a high rate of success, the X-clamps replacement fix. You remove the X-clamps holding the CPU/GPU and replace them with screws/nuts (while adding new thermal paste to the chips).

I actually bought a broken 360 off ebay with the 3ROL and used the fix to revive it. The fix is only a few months old so we'll see the longevity of the method over time.

ATRAIN
07-06-2007, 09:05 AM
You mean Microsoft? A lot of the time they just exchange your XBOX with a refurbished one, so the problem usually shows up after time once again. If they repair it, I assume they replace the clamps or something, which would still cause the console to die eventually.

There's a fix on the internet which has had a high rate of success, the X-clamps replacement fix. You remove the X-clamps holding the CPU/GPU and replace them with screws/nuts (while adding new thermal paste to the chips).

I actually bought a broken 360 off ebay with the 3ROL and used the fix to revive it. The fix is only a few months old so we'll see the longevity of the method over time.

how much did you buy the broken one for?

resistanze
07-06-2007, 09:09 AM
$125 with a wireless controller and plug and play kit.

ATRAIN
07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
$125 with a wireless controller and plug and play kit.

damn thats a hell of a deal

maxpower
07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Nice to hear the warranty length has tripled.

dawn
12-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Got the arcade one for my son for Christmas. It has now in a little more than 24 hours froze up numerous times and scratched and killed his Madden 08 and Guitar Hero 3. I was told I can take it all back to the store and have it all replaced, but I just don't understand this shit.

I know I am gonna sound stupid to most, but I have 2 original atari units that are both over 20 + years old. They both have been stored, and moved, and yet still, both work like they were brand new and have NEVER had a problem. I just don't get how with the "ADVANCE" of technology, how it craps out so often and yet, cost so much more to buy.

This sucks!!!

SAtown
12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Did you get a warranty? If you bought it at an EB or Gamestop (with warranty), just take the entire thing (cables and all) and they will replace everything you bring to them on the spot.

As for the 360 being a delicate POS... that's beyond me. My Super Nintendo still works and that thing went through some hell.

baseline bum
12-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Sons of bitches at Microsoft sent me a refurb unit when the cd drive of my otherwise perfectly-working system fucked up. The new piece of shit is three times as loud.

dimsah
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
As far as the CD/DVDs that get scratched and dirty: I wonder how much it would cost
to change to a media card game format, where you buy a small card(s) that gets inserted in to a console similar to the old cartridge games.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Still having no problems with it.

NASpurs
12-26-2007, 07:55 PM
As far as the CD/DVDs that get scratched and dirty: I wonder how much it would cost
to change to a media card game format, where you buy a small card(s) that gets inserted in to a console similar to the old cartridge games.Crap, I'm having that problem with the scratched CD/DVDs.

I just bought a new game and I've been playing it for a while. The stupid thing is pretty scratched up now and it's freezing up. What to do....what to do...

Ginofan
12-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Maybe I should've read this thread before I purchased the 360 this christmas for my boyfriend. Ugh, I hate to have to send it back...*crosses fingers*

dawn
12-26-2007, 10:36 PM
I did not buy a extended no. They come with one though, correct? Toys R Us told me to bring it back. I am gonna tomorrow

DannyT
12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Crap, I'm having that problem with the scratched CD/DVDs.

I just bought a new game and I've been playing it for a while. The stupid thing is pretty scratched up now and it's freezing up. What to do....what to do...

had the same issue a few months ago...but i couldnt wait to call M$ the next day so I was fucking with my Rom Tray and popped it out....so i had to open my shit up and operate. Just to get it back it place and thus voided my warranty...Then I you tubed the issue I was having and it came down to when they were making the Consoles and the DVD drives they use they didnt put a freaking rubber chingaso around the lens portion and thats what makes those perfect crop circles on your games...So I called Xbox the next day and told them about my issue....he tried to say it was this this this and that...and finally it got down to ok send it to us for repair and I was going to but just decided to buy a new and replace the guts and return it back to the store which was another bitch in its self because apparently they dont take back brand new broken xboxs....but all this cause I voided my warranty...so dont open your shit just call them up and send it to them... I believe you have like 3 years service now. I still have no warranty but oh well...I hate fucking with the system like that but just as it was stated earlier that these things are being over priced and made with such piss poor quality....and as far as the games the dude told me I could go to the xbox website and search disc replacement and so I did and it was 20$ fee to replace games their shity system fucked up and also it only listed certain games so I didnt even bother...it was real ugly a few months ago for danny t

but so far I am good....for now anyways

NASpurs
12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
had the same issue a few months ago...but i couldnt wait to call M$ the next day so I was fucking with my Rom Tray and popped it out....so i had to open my shit up and operate. Just to get it back it place and thus voided my warranty...Then I you tubed the issue I was having and it came down to when they were making the Consoles and the DVD drives they use they didnt put a freaking rubber chingaso around the lens portion and thats what makes those perfect crop circles on your games...So I called Xbox the next day and told them about my issue....he tried to say it was this this this and that...and finally it got down to ok send it to us for repair and I was going to but just decided to buy a new and replace the guts and return it back to the store which was another bitch in its self because apparently they dont take back brand new broken xboxs....but all this cause I voided my warranty...so dont open your shit just call them up and send it to them... I believe you have like 3 years service now. I still have no warranty but oh well...I hate fucking with the system like that but just as it was stated earlier that these things are being over priced and made with such piss poor quality....and as far as the games the dude told me I could go to the xbox website and search disc replacement and so I did and it was 20$ fee to replace games their shity system fucked up and also it only listed certain games so I didnt even bother...it was real ugly a few months ago for danny t

but so far I am good....for now anywaysDamn seems like I'm going to have to call them up. I'm indeed getting those damn crop circles. I've already replaced The Orange Box and it seems like tomorrow I'm going to have to replace yet another game.

Has anyone tried those disc cover skins? Specifically http://www.d-skin.com/

DannyT
12-27-2007, 12:16 AM
shit nah.....sounds pretty cool though....how much are they...what i did to replace mine was open up a game fly account rent the games I had and send the jacked up ones back...its a fucked up thing to do...but again the system and its shitty was are killing me here....for months I wa playing 2k7 and in the middle of playing it would just say disc is not readable....reset your system and clean your disc type error....

Barbarian
12-27-2007, 12:37 AM
DOnt have a 360 but a buddy of mine does. He's had a shit load of problems with his. His waranty was out, so he bought a new one and threw the old one in the new box and returned it. No questions asked and got his money back. (WAL MART). He's done it twice more since. Thats 3 fucking 360s gone bad. Good thing I stuck with Playstation.

PEP
12-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Got mine at Best Buy for Christmas last year and got their 2 year warranty. Worked well for about 10 months then crapped out on me last month. Took it back and got it exchanged no problems. This new one is having minor problems, will probably take it back if it keeps messing up.

Marklar MM
12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I haven't had any problems yet...knock on wood.

robino2001
12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I bought mine on launch day in November 05 and haven't had a single issue with mine... it's just hit a miss on the original ones - but I hadn't heard of any of the NEW ones having any of the same problems... that's all news to me.

gay abc
12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Mine on a rare occasion will say "The disk is dirty or scratched"

but other than that, I've had mine since 3 days after the debut, and its worked like a charm.

no problems with the one you sold me over 2 years ago :spin

ATRAIN
12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Send it into Microsoft, they'll put a heatsink in and ship it back to you and if not theyll just send you a new one. My biggest problem with the 360 is I beat up on everyone in NBA 2k7 and cant find any competition lately :depressed

OH well that because you were too scared to play me!!!!

FreeMad Dan
12-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Yesterday after i logged in none of my menus except the Media Menu were available. All the rest had that stupid loading symbol on it. But i was able to start the game through the media menu and had no problem playing on Live.

FreeMad Dan
12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
OH well that because you were too scared to play me!!!!

Atrain sucks at all games on the 360. Wii is more his style.

dawn
01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
So after all of the trouble I was able to take it back. I exchanged it for a PS3 and my Son is VERY HAPPY. I was also able to take the defective games back to Wal-Mart and Best Buy and exchange them out for PS3 versions. I got lucky