PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather ready for Hatton...

sa_butta
06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2918039

Ricky Hatton wants a shot at Floyd Mayweather Jr., considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in boxing. It looks like he might get his wish.

Mayweather said Tuesday he will come out of retirement to put Hatton in his place.
"I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now. I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by, but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up. I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. Hatton is the most overrated fighter of the last 25 years."

Hatton's one-punch knockout win Saturday night over Jose Luis Castillo to retain his world junior welterweight championship just might have been the breakthrough the British fighter needed to convince fans outside his native country that he is the real thing at 140 pounds.

Like Mayweather, Hatton is undefeated. Unlike Mayweather, he fights in a wild, all-out style that should prove popular as he continues his campaign in the United States.

"There was more action in the four rounds of this fight than Floyd showed in his entire career," Hatton said.

Mayweather announced his retirement after beating Oscar De La Hoya last month.

Hatton's father, Ray, said that his son is ready to face Mayweather -- anywhere.

"We're up for the fight, you've got to be up for a fight like that," Ray Hatton told Radio Five Live in the United Kingdom. "But it doesn't always end with the two fighters. There tends to be a few people getting in between.

"Ricky is chomping at the bit. I've spoken to him a little bit before all this came out and he said it's a no-brainer. It's a definite yes.

"Ricky will fight him anywhere -- that's the difference between him and Floyd, who wants it on home turf."

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's manager, said a fight could happen in the fall.

"Hatton's trying to promote himself off Floyd's name and he [Mayweather] will kick his butt. Floyd told me he wants to get the deal on," Ellerbe said, according to the Guardian newspaper. "Hatton [insulted] Floyd [on television]. But that's OK, he's had his opportunity to talk. Now all he has to do is to sign a contract and we can get this done. We can have it this year, in the fall. We don't need to wait."

atxrocker
06-27-2007, 01:10 PM
i knew it wouldn't be long before that little bitch came out of "retirement". my long standing tradition of rooting for anybody facing mayweather stands. kick his ass, seabass!

sa_butta
06-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Im really tired of all his shit talking, he needs a good ass whoopin.

lebomb
06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Im really tired of all his shit talking, he needs a good ass whoopin.

.......Im not for either fighter, but if Im not mistaking......Hatton called Mayweather out and talked big shit first. :huh

degenerate_gambler
06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
.......Im not for either fighter, but if Im not mistaking......Hatton called Mayweather out and talked big shit first. :huh

Hatton, to paraphrase, said, "You've seen more action tonite (Castillo) in these 4 rounds than you have in all of Mayweathers career.

atxrocker
06-27-2007, 02:04 PM
mayweather needs to get knocked the fuck out. it's too bad there aint no real competition in his weight class to do it. i remember when everyone used to say that lennox lewis and roy jones jr were "pound for pound" the best in the boxing world and both have gotten knocked the fuck out. the same needs to happen to pretty girl to humble his punk ass.

degenerate_gambler
06-27-2007, 02:13 PM
mayweather needs to get knocked the fuck out. it's too bad there aint no real competition in his weight class to do it. i remember when everyone used to say that lennox lewis and roy jones jr were "pound for pound" the best in the boxing world and both have gotten knocked the fuck out. the same needs to happen to pretty girl to humble his punk ass.

i agree bro. the problem with doing that is the fucker can slip a punch as good as anyone i've ever seen. hatton isn't fast enough to cut the ring off and he's not big enough to hurt him if he happens to corner him.

the only way I see mayweather getting rolled is if he fights shane mosley or cotto. and that ain't gonna happen because mayweather knows they'd give him a beatdown.

SAtoDallas
06-27-2007, 02:48 PM
It's not that there isn't competion out there it's just that he's pulling a Roy Jones and hand picking opponents he knows can't beat him. If Hatton v Mayweather happens you'd better be prepared to watch a track meet, because there is no way Floyd lets Hatton get close to him.

BeerIsGood!
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Mayweather won't fight the people who stand a chance to whip his ass. His biggest challenge was De La Hoya, but Oscar has shown time and time again that he wants to outpoint and not fight. Mayweather would slide around the ring and outpoint Hatton in a weak fight. It's of no interest to me.

cornbread
06-28-2007, 03:29 PM
the only way I see mayweather getting rolled is if he fights shane mosley or cotto. and that ain't gonna happen because mayweather knows they'd give him a beatdown.
I can't wait for this fight but I have to agree your point. Mosley and Cotto would probably have a better chance to beat him.