PDA

View Full Version : Spurs draft history: Don't be surprised

SenorSpur
06-27-2007, 02:09 PM
As much as some of us look forward to NBA draft, there's been many a personal letdown for me in past years as I've watched the Spurs trade out of the round.

Considering the fact that they have the picks #28 (1st round) and #33 (second round) overall, I would think it's reasonable possibility that the Spurs will trade out of the first round to escape the guaranteed salary commitment. Especially if they feel fairly confident that their choice of player will still be available at #33.

While I'm not questioning their philisophical strategy, I, like many of you, am concerned about the depth of the roster. They cannot continue to put off the task of adding a select, young player or two to improve the future core of the team.

If that indeed comes to pass and they do trade out of the 1st round, will you be disappointed?

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I'd be disappointed but not surprised.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Either a trade or use it on an international prospect they intend not to bring in next season are two of the most likely scenarios for #28. #33 is rather likely to be used on a domestic prospect. And of course #58 is ripe for an international prospect.

El_Mago
06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I have given this much thought too!

The only way the Spurs go for the 28th is if they select an international player and store him away.

OR

Someone slips extremely, and it is too good to pass up.

Therefore, I expect SA to go international or trade out, or trade up for a top domestic.

But, I highly doubt they stick it out at 28 and select a domestic player.

I am calling for Marco Belinelli or Rudy Fernandez.

Book it! :elephant

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Not too disappointed about #28 since similar talent will be available a #33.

Vito Corleone
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Yea, I agree. As the draft gets closer the more I feel that they will either move up or take someone to store overseas, or do a trade for future considerations.

I don't expect them to come away with anyone we will see in a uniform next year.

But hope springs eternal

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
I'll be disappointed if they pass on someone they believe can be really good (ala Howard in '03) for ulterior concerns.

SenorSpur
06-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I'll be disappointed if they pass on someone they believe can be really good (ala Howard in '03) for ulterior concerns.

Exactly what I was thinking. IMO, that is still their biggest draft "gaffe" in franchise history. Still trying to fill that particular skill set to backup Bowen to this day.

picnroll
06-27-2007, 02:26 PM
After the draft and the trade of the pick we can have a "Who the Spurs should have drafted" thread to archive and see if anybody should send in their resume to be the new Spurs' GM next year.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Worth considering is the Spurs old friend Sam Presti sandwiched between those picks at #31. If there was a particularly well kept secret gem they could get snaked if they opt to wait til the second.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Worth considering is the Spurs old friend Sam Presti sandwiched between those picks at #31. If there was a particularly well kept secret gem they could get snaked if they opt to wait til the second.If they already had plans to trade the #28 and pick someone at #33, Presti would probably have to agree not to take that guy before the Spurs. Depends on how set their strategy was.

picnroll
06-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Ferry was obliged not to tell the Cavs that the Spurs had Mahinmi targeted. I'd bet that Presti is under a similar commitment that if a specific player falls to that 31 slot that he is off limits to Presti.

coopdogg3
06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Depends on what the trade is. 28 to Seattle for their 31 and a future 2nd, and I'm happy. Won't happen, I know, but it just depends on what the trade is.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Depends on what the trade is. 28 to Seattle for their 31 and a future 2nd, and I'm happy. Won't happen, I know, but it just depends on what the trade is.

It could be that (not necessarily to Seattle) but I think you go with a future 1st.

yavozerb
06-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Spurs probably trade #28 unless a player such as splitter or fernandez is available and #33 will be our back up pg with #58 some 21 year old int. player.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Is there anyone that they'd be willing to trade both picks to move up for? If you're gonna have to pay a guaranteed contract...

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Assuming they take a domestic point guard at #33, then they will have rookies/youth at the 1, 2/3 (White) and 4/5 (Butler, Mahinmi). I don't believe they will go into next season with more than that.

yavozerb
06-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Is there anyone that they'd be willing to trade both picks to move up for? If you're gonna have to pay a guaranteed contract...

No reaon too simply due to the fact that whoever gets drafted (except back-up pg) will not get many minutes on this team..I know some you fans want to get younger but as suggested in previous thread (I think obs. view) we already have some up and coming guys on the team. I would like to add fernandez to that group if we could..

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 04:15 PM
If there were a Bowen replacement with starting potential somewhere in the middle of the draft, though, it seems like the Spurs might try to take advantage of it. I understand the 2008 free agent plan but if they can get a Josh Howard this time it's not out of the realm of possibility that they'd go get him. Just because they don't typically trade up doesn't mean they won't if the right player's there. That's all I'm sayin'. I don't think it's likely either, but I don't know enough about who's available to say for sure.