PDA

View Full Version : Suns-Hawks-Wolves Trade A Step Closer To Being Made

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Timberwolves talking three-way Garnett deal

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
June 27, 2007

NEW YORK – Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-nbadraft062707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

duncan228
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Posted here:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72592

Spurminator
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

Wow.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Wow, this would be the best thing for Atlanta.

gmanrulz
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
and minnesota...talk about rebuilding. They already have a promising young player in foye and go along with this years 3rd,7th,and 11th pick wow

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 03:58 PM
and minnesota...talk about rebuilding. They already have a promising young player in foye and go along with this years 3rd,7th,and 11th pick wow

Predicting what McHale does with that... :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Atlanta may have some semblance of a team again.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Predicting what McHale does with that... :lol
Yeah, I've seen a couple of mock drafts having the Wolves taking Yi. I have a feeling he wouldn't sign with them.

itzsoweezee
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
what a great move for the hawks and wolves. i don't think this makes the suns any better though

T Park
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Atlanta may have some semblance of a team again.

IMO, this makes them the co favorites for the division if this happens.

Stoudamire in the east could be scary.

Xylus
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I hope this deal doesn't happen.

According to a local radio host, this Atlanta deal is bogus.

thispego
06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Will Phoenix fans be pissed to see stoudemire go? This has to come out of left field for the majority of Suns fans still in their holes after the WCSF.

dbestpro
06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Suns will regret this trade. 31 year old Garnett for 24 year old Stoudamire. What really would hurt the Suns is they get an unprotected 1st from Atlanta next year, which could be the top pick in the draft. Amare would put the Hawks in the playoffs and take the Suns out of next year's lottery.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Suns will regret this trade. 31 year old Garnett for 24 year old Stoudamire. What really would hurt the Suns is they get an unprotected 1st from Atlanta next year, which could be the top pick in the draft. Amare would put the Hawks in the playoffs and take the Suns out of next year's lottery.

Exactly.

JLH Fans
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Timberwolves talking three-way Garnett deal

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
June 27, 2007

NEW YORK – Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-nbadraft062707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Deal :drunk

jaespur21
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
well it would improve their halfcourt offense and Dfense...phx that is

Xylus
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Very. Bad. Idea.
Very. Bad. Idea.

Come on, Suns, stick with what you have. Work on making the bench deeper, maybe sign Grant Hill, but dear god don't get rid of Amare. The man comes alive during the playoffs.

Shred
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
If the deal goes down as described, Spur fans can breathe easier.

Slinkyman
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I hope this deal doesn't happen.

According to a local radio host, this Atlanta deal is bogus.

i don't know dude, Adrian Wojnarowski is one of the best nba writers in the country, he probably has better sources then some local radio host.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I love Karma. I hope they do this. They are screwing themselves out of draft position next year. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Spurminator
06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Eh, I think it's a good deal for the Suns. Not as good as KG-for-Marion would have been, but still a pretty significant upgrade IMO.

I'm not as sold on Amare as some others who think this is a lateral move.

Now you just need a coach who can do something with KG-Marion-Bell(-Thomas?) on defense.

Xylus
06-27-2007, 04:12 PM
i don't know dude, Adrian Wojnarowski is one of the best nba writers in the country, he probably has better sources then some local radio host.
The radio host in question has been more accurate in the past about the Suns' wheelings and dealings than the national sports media.

Rummpd
06-27-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree Amare scares me down the road more than Garnett - his upside is better.

On the other hand I love to see Amare moved - I hate the guy, and him going to "loserville" would be a win, win.

Also, the increasingly selfish Kobe does not get Garnett = double win!

thispego
06-27-2007, 04:13 PM
our breathing has been quite easy for several weeks now

dbestpro
06-27-2007, 04:15 PM
This is an example of team that is trying to improve itself now by giving up an incredible future. No trade would be better as Garnett will have to learn the system. I for one am very excited about this trade as a Spurs fan. The future of the Sun's looked quite impressive (10 year run). Now, they will be no better than a .500 team in a 3-4 years.

Xylus
06-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Don't trade Amare... don't trade Amare... don't trade Amare... don't trade Amare...

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Why would Amare want to go to Atlanta?

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
This is an example of team that is trying to improve itself now by giving up an incredible future. No trade would be better as Garnett will have to learn the system. I for one am very excited about this trade as a Spurs fan. The future of the Sun's looked quite impressive (10 year run). Now, they will be no better than a .500 team in a 3-4 years.

Phoenix is in a bit of an odd spot here. They only have another shot or two to win with Nash and they have yet to overcome either of the West's Biggest Beasts with or without Stoudemire. I could see why they're in Win Now mode. Better in their minds to win a title in the next 2-3 years and suffer for a few lean years than to let Nash's shelf-life come to its end without ever having won. It's a gamble, but I can see why they might think its a worthwhile gamble.

I'm still not convinced that this deal makes Phoenix better in the short-term, but I could see that they might think it would.

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Way to alienate your best player, PHX. Idiots

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Why would Amare want to go to Atlanta?

Amare doesn't have to want to go to Atlanta. He's just gotten his extension before the 2005-06 season. He doesn't have a player option until the summer of 2010. He doesn't have a no-trade clause. Basically, he has none of the hammers that other guys have in balking about trades to particular locations. All that Amare could do is sit out and refuse to play, but in so doing, he'd be forfeiting his salary for that period of time.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Amare doesn't have to want to go to Atlanta. He's just gotten his extension before the 2005-06 season. He doesn't have a player option until the summer of 2010. He doesn't have a no-trade clause. Basically, he has none of the hammers that other guys have in balking about trades to particular locations. All that Amare could do is sit out and refuse to play, but in so doing, he'd be forfeiting his salary for that period of time.

He'd be leaving a Western Conference that is adding Oden and Durant. In the East he can really blow up with a young team. Phoenix's window is only as long as Nash can play at a high level.

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 04:24 PM
According to the article, Amare welcomes a trade to ATL.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Way to alienate your best player, PHX. Idiots

That's an interesting point. Amare has become about as vilified by the Suns organization of late as a superstar player can be. In Seven Seconds or Less (a highly recommended read, by the way), Jack McCallum pulls no punches in describing the Suns' disappointment at Amare's attitude during his rehab and in offering some pretty stunning perspectives on Amare's general personality. Now, the Suns are reportedly seriously interested in trading him to a perennial doormat. Amare might be impervious to all of that, but somewhere that has to hurt a little bit.

T Park
06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
whos to say the minutes dont start to catch up this summer and he just isn't the 'same" next year?

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 04:27 PM
That's an interesting point. Amare has become about as vilified by the Suns organization of late as a superstar player can be. In Seven Seconds or Less (a highly recommended read, by the way), Jack McCallum pulls no punches in describing the Suns' disappointment at Amare's attitude during his rehab and in offering some pretty stunning perspectives on Amare's general personality. Now, the Suns are reportedly seriously interested in trading him to a perennial doormat. Amare might be impervious to all of that, but somewhere that has to hurt a little bit.

He might be tired of the Suns. If he does join the Hawks he becomes the man there. In an Eastern Conference with no dominant teams.

ducks
fwd it was leaked for a pr move before they dump amare

FromWayDowntown
According to the article, Amare welcomes a trade to ATL.

Perhaps because of the very alienation that you mentioned. Perhaps because he's savvy enough to see that the East is a fairly weak conference right now and that he might have a chance to be a bigger star there. Who knows?

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
He might be tired of the Suns. If he does join the Hawks he becomes the man there. In an Eastern Conference with no dominant teams.

maybe I just like the way he plays, but I've always considered him to be the man in PHX

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
maybe I just like the way he plays, but I've always considered him to be the man in PHX

The media consensus seems to be that Nash is the franchise there.

T Park
06-27-2007, 04:31 PM
This trade is gonna rank right up there for the suns.

Close to trading a Michael Finley before his prime.

Ocotillo
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Atlanta is closer to home for Amare, he is from Florida isn't he?

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, I for one look forward to KG in a PHX uniform, but I'd hate to see a talented player like Amare waste his time with the Hawks

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, I for one look forward to KG in a PHX uniform, but I'd hate to see a talented player like Amare waste his time with the Hawks

Maybe this is what picks up the Hawks from the NBA dustbin.

ducks
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
no one wanted to play for the hawks because they suck
they have young talent
they have amare and joe johnson

shyne
06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
The hawks have talent, they need a good coach and a couple of vets to provide some leadership. Ohh ya they play in the east.

ducks
06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
hawks are closer getting a coach now that they have amare and talent

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
The hawks have talent, they need a good coach and a couple of vets to provide some leadership. Ohh ya they play in the east.

look out Lebron if this deals happens, I guess.

T Park
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Damn, Amare and Joe Johnson.

Only problem is they don't have a point guard.

But the Spurs have a couple they could use.

:smokin

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Beno for a first rounder

T Park
06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Well they would be trading BOTH of their picks.

I was hoping more for a Brent Barry and Beno for Josh Smith and a future first.

spursfaninla
06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Atlanta makes the playoffs with Amare getting the scoring title this year (if atlanta finds a pg).

I am wondering what the Suns do with their rotation though. Do they keep their current team or do they continue to shop Marion? If they move Marion, do they plug Diaw into that spot? Do they put Barbosa as the backup 2 and get a real pg?

Thomas is getting old to depend on for extended minutes I'm afraid.

If they can get garnett to finally play like a pf instead of a sf, they are a better team for now. If Garnett is an idiot and keeps taking outside shots, the Suns become too unbalanced offensively; with Amare they at least had some inside scoring.

This suns team is better IF they play some team D. If not, this team is worse. Garnett is not going to be as unstoppable on the pnr as Amare was.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2007, 04:50 PM
well, the Suns did enter this off-season with the burning need to shed some payroll to avoid a Cuban-like luxury tax bill. Getting Garnett, even at the expense of losing Amare, only makes that looming bill worse. If this deal goes down, it does make you wonder if Sarver is cool with paying the tax for one year to take a shot at a title or if there is still another move coming from the Suns to stave off some of the taxes in the near term.

AnkleBreaker21
06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
yah but they figure nash is old so these are his only chances, once he is gone phoenix is going to be worth a shit

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
What the Hawks need is for the owners to stay hell out of the personnel business. Doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.

exstatic
06-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Why should we breathe easier? We're 3-0 in the last 3 series vs. PHO, and 12-5 in overall games in those series, 7-2 on YOUR floor. I frankly don't GAF what your whiner fucking franhcise does. There is a culture of choking/losing there that Garnett isn't going to help. He will blend right in, though.

joeyjfive
06-27-2007, 06:27 PM
I honestly dont think Amare is that good, Steve Nash is the main reason he scores as much as he does. Rarely is Amare ever creating for himself and with some of his quickness visibly gone its gonna be that much harder for him. IMO if Amare loses Nash he will have a significant drop off in points unless hes shooting that much more, which can very well be the case in Atl. I just think its a lot easier to score when everyone is trying to guard Nash and he slips it to you 2 feet away from the basket.

TwoHandJam
06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I honestly dont think Amare is that good, Steve Nash is the main reason he scores as much as he does. Rarely is Amare ever creating for himself and with some of his quickness visibly gone its gonna be that much harder for him. IMO if Amare loses Nash he will have a significant drop off in points unless hes shooting that much more, which can very well be the case in Atl. I just think its a lot easier to score when everyone is trying to guard Nash and he slips it to you 2 feet away from the basket.
Bingo. Give the man a prize.

Amare will still beat up on the east make no mistake, but he's never going to look as good as he did with Nash spoon-feeding him dunks. He wasn't a great creator before he lost his explosiveness so he'd better hope Johnson learns how to spoon feed him like he's used to.

What was the Suns record when Nash was out for while a couple years back? And what was it like when Amare went down? Hmmmmm.

jdaveah
06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
How can people argue that it will slow Phoenix down for a time while KG learns the system? WHAT SYSTEM? Run your ass down the floor and take the first mediocre shot available. Then run back, play matador defense so you can get the ball back ASAP. If I were a Phoenix fan I'd welcome this trade, KG has never backed away from guarding Duncan, and that allows Phoenix to keep Kurt Thomas off the floor so they dont have to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end just for the sake of trying to stop Tim.

This also takes Phoenix out of the awkward position of building for the future and building for Nash at once. Obviously Nash doesn't have too many years left, so if the Phoenix FO really feels KG is better than Amare RIGHT NOW then you take your shot. Especially in the culture of the NBA, who says these front office guys will still have a job when it comes time to build around Amare if they can't win a title when building around Nash. If they feel that as of this moment KG gives Phoenix a better chance to win then you have to pull the trigger.

joeyjfive
06-27-2007, 06:48 PM
What was the Suns record when Nash was out for while a couple years back? And what was it like when Amare went down? Hmmmmm.

Great point. I probably should have mentioned that too.

raspsa
06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Without Nash, Stoudemire is going to have to work a lot more for his baskets.. I see his career stalling if this trade materializes. But Phienix may be better off for the next several years.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Garnett>>Amare.

Amare looks like his hops are only 2/3 of what they once were. His best offensive move is to jump into the defender to draw a foul. Garnett is twice the defender Amare is and a much better rebounder.

I think Garnett would make the Suns a very dangerous team in the '08 playoffs.

dbestpro
06-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Garnett plays too much away from the basket. He needs another big man to free him up for his style of play. Rasho wasn't anything special, but he took up space that allowed Garnett to roam free. There are no space eaters in Phx. Garnett will do good on the open floor, but his inside game is weak. Garnett is not going to provide Phx more than Amare. Amare has been hurt and just started to get his hops back. In Atl. he will get more looks, more rebounds and more of everything because they will try to play real basketball and not "I'm free for three" lauch-athon of the Suns.

td4mvp3
06-27-2007, 08:11 PM
i just think the trade would be a wash. garnett bothers duncan, sure, but if i remember the stats someone posted comparing the two, their numbers are awfully similar. so that matchups a push. gino showed that he can crush raja bell and i don't remember marion being that big a deal on parker, but my memory may simply be bad. my bigger curiousity is who else gets dealt from the suns. hopefully more than thomas.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Don't trade Amare... don't trade Amare... don't trade Amare... don't trade Amare...

LMAO

it would be GREAT to see Amare out of the west

td4mvp21
06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Why should we breathe easier? We're 3-0 in the last 3 series vs. PHO, and 12-5 in overall games in those series, 7-2 on YOUR floor. I frankly don't GAF what your whiner fucking franhcise does. There is a culture of choking/losing there that Garnett isn't going to help. He will blend right in, though.
Amen.

spurscenter
06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
and the lakers thought thaey hd enough with bynum and odom, hahahaha

Kermit
06-27-2007, 10:18 PM
how on earth have hawks fans not assasinated the owners?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2919016

The Minnesota Timberwolves' attempts to get a great deal for Kevin Garnett hit a major roadblock on Wednesday afternoon, sources told ESPN.com.

According to multiple sources, the Timberwolves have been talking to multiple teams about finding a third team to help facilitate a Garnett trade.

As ESPN.com reported on Tuesday evening, Minnesota was looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Phoenix Suns. To participate, Atlanta wanted Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix.

On Wednesday, sources say one of the Hawks owners vetoed a hypothetical deal for Stoudemire.

The Suns claim to have never had any direct contact with the Hawks about a deal. While they have shown strong interest in acquiring Garnett, the deal never reached a stage where they were asked by either team to give up Stoudemire and never offered him in a trade.

While teams like the Lakers and Suns will continue to pursue Garnett, and the Wolves seem intent on trading him, sources say that it's unlikely a deal goes down by the time of the draft.

The latest drama in the KG saga shows some of the perils of dealing with the Hawks -- arguably the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

The Hawks ownership group, Atlanta Spirit LLC, is embroiled in a nasty lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin. Belkin won a lawsuit against Atlanta Spirit LLC last summer and a judge ruled that he could buy out the owners of Atlanta Spirit and gain full ownership of the team. Atlanta Spirit is currently appealing the ruling.

In the meantime, Belkin holds some authority over the team. He can veto any trade or free agent signing that takes the team above the NBA salary cap. Several sources suggested that it was Belkin who vetoed the trade.

This fiasco isn't the only situation the Hawks are dealing with. Sources said that Hawks general manager Billy Knight is in a dispute with some of the Hawks owners over who to take at No. 3. Knight prefers Florida's Al Horford. Some in the Hawks ownership, including influential owner Michael Gearon Jr., want to draft Yi Jianlian out of China.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Ding, dong this bitch is dead! Holy crap... I've never heard so much said about a trade that made so little sense, nor even matched salary-wise.

Kermit
06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Ding, dong this bitch is dead! Holy crap... I've never heard so much said about a trade that made so little sense, nor even matched salary-wise.
Yeah, but the funny thing is the team that stood to gain the most from the trade vetoed it. Billy Knight could've righted a lot of wrongs and his ownership kills him. Now reports are coming that they want to take Yi with the 3rd pick.

genghisrex
06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I don't get where all this hubbub came from. By all accounts Phoenix hasn't shown interest in giving up Amare for KG. This trade "proposal" didn't solve that so unless someone heard something from Phoenix, which it sure doesn't sound like anyone did, this rumor should have been DOA.

td4mvp3
06-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Official: Chances for 3-team deal overblown

/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago
Reports the Phoenix Suns were nearing a deal to acquire Kevin Garnett were downplayed Wednesday by an NBA official with knowledge of the situation.
Contrary to several reports, the official told The Associated Press, the sides were not close to a three-team deal that would send Amare Stoudemire to Atlanta and Garnett from Minnesota to Phoenix.

Publicity regarding the Suns' possible acquisition of Garnett had been overblown, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the subject. However, the Timberwolves and Suns have talked about Garnett, the person confirmed.

A more likely scenario would have Phoenix trading up in the order of Thursday's draft, though few teams seem interested in moving down with what's regarded as a deep talent pool available.

Suns officials did not return telephone messages left at their offices on Wednesday, but new general manager Steve Kerr indicated on Tuesday that anything that might happen probably wouldn't occur until Thursday.

"Everything usually comes down to the last minute because everybody's waiting for the home run," Kerr said Tuesday, "and usually no one hits one."

D'Antoni wasn't talking like a coach who expected to lose Stoudemire.

"We can get better with what we have," D'Antoni said, "and we should play better next year. One more year together, Amare's going to get better. We're going to be better. If we can get the end of the bench a little bit better and some of our guys come back ready to roll, then we're automatically better."

D'Antoni long has cautioned against breaking up the nucleus of a team that's won three consecutive Pacific Division titles. Stoudemire came back from microfracture surgery on one knee and arthroscopic surgery on the other to make first team all-NBA last season.

Had Stoudemire not been suspended for taking a few too many steps off the bench when San Antonio's Robert Horry sent Steve Nash crashing into the scorer's table, the Suns might have won their Western Conference semifinal series with the eventual NBA champion Spurs.

The scenario being bandied about had the Suns sending Stoudemire to Atlanta, the Hawks shifting their No. 3 pick and other selections to Minnesota, and the Timberwolves shipping Garnett to Phoenix.

The idea gained a bit of credence because Garnett, a good friend of Nash, has said he would like to play for the Suns. But Stoudemire is 24 and Garnett 31. Still, Kerr has told the players that no one on the team is untouchable.

Another supposed deal would send Shawn Marion to Boston, with the Celtics giving Minnesota their No. 5 pick and Garnett coming to Phoenix. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge deflated that report by saying it was "unlikely" Boston would trade its pick.

There was considerable evidence, though, that Phoenix was attempting to acquire a better draft pick. The Suns have the 24th and 29th picks, but many of the players brought to Phoenix to work out for the team are sure to gone before those picks.

North Carolina power forward Brandan Wright and Florida State small forward Al Thornton worked out for Phoenix on Wednesday. That follows workouts Tuesday by two members of the NCAA champion Florida Gators — small forward Corey Brewer and power forward Joakim Noah - along with Georgetown small forward Jeff Green.

"All really impressive kids," Kerr said on Tuesday. "They're competitors, really good players. That's why they're projected to go in the top 10."

Moving up, if it's possible at all, would not come easily. Phoenix might have to part with the pick it holds from Atlanta next season.

"Of course it's going to come with a price," Kerr said. "So you have to evaluate that, whether it means giving up something in the future, you have to evaluate whether it makes sense."

Oh, Gee!!
06-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Remember when we were this close to trading Parker for Kidd, but it didn't happen? Think of how horrible Parker must have felt and how much much maturity it took on his part to get over his hurt feelings. Now consider how Amare feels. What's kind of player will Amare be next year for PHX if the deal doesn't happen?

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
To piggyback, there's also a story that says the Hawks Ownership is putting on the pressure to select Yi Jianlian because they have an interest IN EXPANDING TO CHINA!

SOMEONE TELL THESE PEOPLE THAT THE NBA IS NOT A BUSINESS VENTURE, BUT AN ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY!!!!

Yi will not sell tickets and will not win games....

Damn, I hate living here and having to deal with this crap constantly....

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 03:58 PM
New twist in Garnett Saga....Bobcats getting involved

The Minnesota Timberwolves' attempts to trade Kevin Garnett continued Thursday afternoon.

The Wolves have contacted the Charlotte Bobcats to try to help facilitate a deal for Garnett, one day after a potential three-way deal with the Phoenix Suns and the Atlanta Hawks hit a roadblock.

According to sources, the Wolves are asking the Bobcats to give up the No. 8 pick along with an undisclosed player. In the proposed deal, Garnett would go to Phoenix, and the Suns would send Amare Stoudemire to Charlotte. The Bobcats would also be required to take Suns guard Marcus Banks.

The Bobcats have been offering the No. 8 pick to various teams for weeks and have several offers. If they can't get something worked out with Minnesota and Phoenix before the draft, the Bobcats will likely move the pick in another deal, a source said.

However, a source in Phoenix continues to maintain that the team has not had any conversations about trading Stoudemire.

This is just the latest turn in what has been an increasingly bizarre saga of Minnesota superstar Kevin Garnett, who was until recently considered untouchable.

ESPN.com first reported on June 18 that Minnesota GM Kevin McHale was finally listening to trade offers for Garnett and was talking to the Boston Celtics. Shortly after that, Garnett's agent said Garnett would opt out of his contract if he were traded to Boston.

In the last few days, the Lakers got into the picture, trying to work a four-way trade and then a direct deal with the Wolves for Garnett.

When that fell through, Minnesota began looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in Thursday's draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Phoenix Suns. To participate, Atlanta wanted Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix.

On Wednesday, sources say one of the Hawks owners vetoed a hypothetical deal for Stoudemire for financial reasons.

However, late Wednesday night the Wolves were trying to resurrect the deal in a way that would overcome the objections. The sticking point has been a trade kicker in Garnett's contract. The Wolves were talking to a fourth team that could help alleviate the financial burden on Atlanta and Phoenix.

"All I can tell you is we're talking to a lot of people," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said Wednesday afternoon, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I can't say that anything is imminent or even likely to take place. Right now, we have the No. 3 and No. 11 picks and that's all we have.

"We feel good about what we could do if we draft at No. 3 and then again at No. 11. But we are talking ... we're talking about a lot of different things, and we're going to continue to do so up until the draft begins."

The Suns claim to have never had any direct contact with the Hawks about a deal. While they have shown strong interest in acquiring Garnett, the deal never reached a stage where they were asked by either team to give up Stoudemire and never offered him in a trade.

While teams like the Lakers and Suns will continue to pursue Garnett, and the Wolves seem intent on trading him, sources say that it's unlikely, but not impossible, that a deal goes down by the time of the draft.

The latest drama in the Garnett saga shows some of the perils of dealing with the Hawks -- arguably the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

The Hawks ownership group, Atlanta Spirit LLC, is embroiled in a nasty lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin. Belkin won a lawsuit against Atlanta Spirit LLC last summer and a judge ruled that he could buy out the owners of Atlanta Spirit and gain full ownership of the team. Atlanta Spirit is currently appealing the ruling.

In the meantime, Belkin holds some authority over the team. He can veto any trade or free agent signing that takes the team above the NBA salary cap. Several sources suggested that it was Belkin who vetoed the trade.

This fiasco isn't the only situation the Hawks are dealing with. Sources said that Knight is in a dispute with some of the Hawks owners over who to take at No. 3. Knight prefers Florida's Al Horford. Some in the Hawks ownership, including influential owner Michael Gearon Jr., want to draft Yi Jianlian out of China.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2919016

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Reported deal is KG to Suns, Amare + Banks to Bobcats, and #8 + undisclosed player (Felton, May, Okafor?) to T-Wolves...but it's just speculation to this point.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
If Banks goes to Bobcats, does that mean they'll let Brevin Knight out of his partially guaranteed contract?

Knight to Spurs?

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Remember when we were this close to trading Parker for Kidd, but it didn't happen? Think of how horrible Parker must have felt and how much much maturity it took on his part to get over his hurt feelings. Now consider how Amare feels. What's kind of player will Amare be next year for PHX if the deal doesn't happen?

The Spurs were never trading Parker that summer. They were just trying to sign Kidd as a free agent.

But yes, I'd imagine it sucks for any player to almost get traded. Look at Brent Barry who got told he was traded and then they had to say .. oh my bad, the paperwork was in too late.

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Can somone explain why a straight up KG for Amare deal wouldn't work?

Do the contracts not mesh up? Does Minnesota not want Amare, but prefer a 8th seed instead?

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Can somone explain why a straight up KG for Amare deal wouldn't work?

Do the contracts not mesh up? Does Minnesota not want Amare, but prefer a 8th seed instead?

Minny is looking to get young guys, draft picks, and expiring contracts.

If they trade away KG, they want to start the rebuilding process on a foundation of solid young players...

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Minny is looking to get young guys, draft picks, and expiring contracts.

If they trade away KG, they want to start the rebuilding process on a foundation of solid young players...

How old is Amare?

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2007, 04:12 PM
How old is Amare?

I think the issue with Amare is "solid" and not age LOL

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 04:15 PM
How old is Amare?

Point taken....

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 04:15 PM
I think the issue with Amare is "solid" and not age LOL

:p:

I'm not gonna start defending Amare, but if I owned an NBA team, and my superstar demanded a trade, I would want to replace that person with someone who could put fans in the seats.

Amare can do that while an unproven #5 or lower draft pick might not.,

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Issue could be Amare's max contract. A guy like Bynum (example from proposed Laker trade) is still a few years away from an extension and it's likely to not be a MAX deal, unless he absolutely blows up.

Not sure Okafor's extension this summer would be max dollars either, if that's the speculated player....

But you make a solid point.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
But yes, I'd imagine it sucks for any player to almost get traded. Look at Brent Barry who got told he was traded and then they had to say .. oh my bad, the paperwork was in too late.
If memory serves, didn't he go on a hot shooting streak just after that? If so, maybe we should lobby to have the trading deadline moved to the end of March.

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Issue could be Amare's max contract.

I suspect that's the issue as well.

Just like KG's contract is causing problems on the other end...

Slinkyman
06-28-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm still wondering why PHX is so desperate to make a huge change to their team, didn't they say they think they should have beat the spurs this year? why not come back with the same team, unless they know they're still the lesser team.

K-State Spur
06-28-2007, 04:42 PM
:p:

I'm not gonna start defending Amare, but if I owned an NBA team, and my superstar demanded a trade, I would want to replace that person with someone who could put fans in the seats.

Amare can do that while an unproven #5 or lower draft pick might not.,

When your dealing with a high price from everybody involved, if you are the owner/GM/coach - you have to ask yourself with Amare: How much do you trust that knee never to be an issue again?

On the plus side, he was great last year and didn't show noticeable different from before the injury.

On the minus side, a major surgery on that knee before the age of 24 does not bode well for it remaining healthy long-term.

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm still wondering why PHX is so desperate to make a huge change to their team, didn't they say they think they should have beat the spurs this year? why not come back with the same team, unless they know they're still the lesser team.

Exactly. All that talk about the suspensions costing the Suns a Championship is total BS, and everyone knows it.

Steve Nash is the only thing keeping the Suns in championship contention, and they only have a few years to make something happen.

KG could be the difference, although IMO, KG for Amare is not a big enough difference.

CarefreeAZ
06-29-2007, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=FromWayDowntown]they have yet to overcome either of the West's Biggest Beasts with or without Stoudemire.

I hope you don't mean Dallas as the other beast. We disposed of them in the Playoffs in 2005. Lost to them in 2006 with Amare out. And won the season series this year. No one in Phoenix has ever been or ever worries about them. Like you guys like to say "OWNED"

SpurOutofTownFan
06-29-2007, 11:13 PM
LIving in ATL I just can't bear the idea of having Amare playing for the hawks.

milkyway21
06-30-2007, 01:58 AM
is it true Cuban is still in pursuit of KG too?