PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion

SequSpur
06-27-2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/career_stats.html

Shawn is a career 18 ppg and 10 rbg. He also leads the league in Steals.

If he was a Spur, you would buy his jersey and be waiting for it to be hung in the ATT Center...

Some of you are tool bags that don't know shit about anything. This dude is as solid as they come.

Saying his accolades are attributed to the presence of Nash is pure bullshit.

Get a grip.

I wish he was on the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2007, 09:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/career_stats.html

Sean is a career 18 ppg and 10 rbg. He also leads the league in Steals.

If he was a Spur, you would buy his jersey and waiting for it to be hung in the ATT Center...

Some of you are tool bags that don't know shit about anything. This dude is as solid as they come.

Saying his accolades are attributed the presence of Nash is pure bullshit.

Get a grip.

I wish he was on the Spurs.

Shawn

SequSpur
06-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Shawn

Corrected.

HJNTX
06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
He's streaky and seems to bomb in play-offs. I LIKE Marion, but sometimes when you need him most, he doesn't show up. Think back to the play-offs.

ShoogarBear
06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Shawn:lmao
Raise The Bar©

I'm not a huge Marion fan. But the best way somebody can expose their lack of basketball knowledge is to say that his stats are a creation of Nash and D'Antoni.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2007, 09:19 PM
No one disputes that he's a stat stuffer. What's undisputed is that you put someone like Bowen on him and he turns into a 3 PPG "All-Star" in the playoffs. All that for the low low price of 17 million a year.

coachmac87
06-27-2007, 09:20 PM
ya he is a great player and he would fit great in the spurs position actually..his best shot is a 3 from the corner..thats where the sf is mostly in pops system(bowen/elliott) and he is one of the best defenders in the league..ill take him but the sooner the better..dont want to wait 3 years...give me him either this year(wont happen) or next year..other than that ill pass dont want when he is 32..

SequSpur
06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
No one disputes that he's a stat stuffer. What's undisputed is that you put someone like Bowen on him and he turns into a 3 PPG "All-Star" in the playoffs. All that for the low low price of 17 million a year.

he's been playing at a high level for years, even before the Nash era.

K-State Spur
06-27-2007, 09:24 PM
he's a versatile defender more than he is a great one. not horrible, but vastly overrated by suns fans and the media. you can put him against almost any position on the floor and he won't get completely embarrassed, but he's not gonna lockdown many quality offensive players either.

and his best shot is from 10 feet and in. he shouldn't be shooting 3s.

dallaskd
06-27-2007, 09:26 PM

thank you. sequ is smart.

SequSpur
06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
he's a versatile defender more than he is a great one. not horrible, but vastly overrated by suns fans and the media. you can put him against almost any position on the floor and he won't get completely embarrassed, but he's not gonna lockdown many quality offensive players either.

and his best shot is from 10 feet and in. he shouldn't be shooting 3s.

huh? i'm confused.

dallaskd
06-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Marion is a better defender than Bowen. SpursTalk, please dont explode.

Extra Stout
06-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Marion is a very good all-around player who is not that adept at creating his own offense.

He is an excellent complementary player, but not a franchise guy.

Marion is a better defender than Bowen. SpursTalk, please dont explode.As an all-around defender, you may be right. As a lockdown perimeter defender, um no.

ambchang
06-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Why?
Bowen got more DPoY and All-defense votes than Marion.

ShoogarBear
06-27-2007, 10:05 PM
More versatile != better

stxspurs
06-27-2007, 10:07 PM
you would buy his jersey and be waiting for it to be hung in the ATT Center...
:drunk :drunk :nope :nope :smokin :smokin :lmao :lmao

i dont know about all that.......

exstatic
06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Kidd, Marbury, Nash. He's ALWAYS been spoon fed easy points on the break. Recognize. He and Posey were in the same draft. If you switch their drafting teams, Posey has Marion's career and vice versa.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Uh, no.

Maybe as a help defender Marion is better, but he's a fucking turnstile playing man to man.

SequSpur
06-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Kidd, Marbury, Nash. He's ALWAYS been spoon fed easy points on the break. Recognize. He and Posey were in the same draft. If you switch their drafting teams, Posey has Marion's career and vice versa.

bull shit

Spurologist
06-27-2007, 10:23 PM
They run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Marion can't create his own shot outside of about ten feet. Note how well he played in the game that Amare missed. Of course, he has a tendency to just disappear. Note how he did so in the second half of that game...

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
He's had three poor playoff series in his career. Care to guess whome they came against?

Sequ is right. With Marbury's low. deliberate and ball-controlling style of play, Marion averaged 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 spg, and 1+ bpg over the three year's between Kidd and Nash.

Hardly caused by Nash or an uptemo system of play.

He struggles against the Spurs. That's about it.

aaronstampler
06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't know what people are watching when they say this guy is a good defender. Versatility my ass. They put him on Tony and he got killed. They put him on Tim for like 5 minutes and Tim was practically laughing as he scored hoop after hoop. Finally they put him on Manu and it was 2005 all over again. Just because he tries to guard everyone doesn't mean he actually does it.

You can call me versatile because I'll try to play all nine positions for the San Francisco Giants tomorrow, but I guarantee you I'd suck at all of them equally.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Maybe people say he's a good defender because he's a good defender compared to his teammates.

Spurologist
06-27-2007, 10:35 PM
He's had three poor playoff series in his career. Care to guess whome they came against?

Sequ is right. With Marbury's low. deliberate and ball-controlling style of play, Marion averaged 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 spg, and 1+ bpg over the three year's between Kidd and Nash.

Hardly caused by Nash or an uptemo system of play.

He struggles against the Spurs. That's about it.

He always struggles to make a shot when it matters against everyone. It's just that those glaring weaknesses are under the bright lights more against the spurs. That is as simple as you can state it.

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Maybe people say he's a good defender because he's a good defender compared to his teammates.

He's a very capable man-to-man defender at positions 1-2-3. He's decent against most 4's. He's not a great man-to-man defender, so that aspect of his defense could be overrated, but he's a pest. One, who as pointed out above, routinely is amongst the League leaders in steals and one who contests just about every shot.

He's a very good all-around defender, but a much better help defender/anticipation defender than man-to-man.

Also, I agree with Obstructed View on Marion's offense. He struggles mightily on hisa own. He certainly needs someone to help create the shots for him. However, he does a great job of maximizing his opportunities, no matter the guard, no matter the system. Is he worth MAX money? Now? no... four year's ago when he was a 20-10-3-2-1 guy with upside? Maybe. I know they thought he could improve that aspect of his game. He never could.

ducks
06-27-2007, 10:39 PM
if he made the same as manu yes
he is not worth more then manu

ducks
06-27-2007, 10:40 PM
I would NOT trade manu for him

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
He always struggles to make a shot when it matters against everyone. It's just that those glaring weaknesses are under the bright lights more against the spurs. That is as simple as you can state it.

He's hit several game-tying shots. Including one against the Spurs in that 04-05 February epic. He's not someone who can create his own offense, and with his shot form, you never know what you're going to get, but he's had some HUGE rebounds to save the Suns late in games, made some HUGE defensive stops late in games and has hit his fair share of shots. Wouldn't say he's clutch, but he's rarely the reason they lose.

I maintain his inability stems from the lack of offensive structure. D'Antoni's "wing it" philosophy tends to allow everyone but Nash and Amare to float from game to game not knowing if they'll get a dozen shots a game, or just five.

It's not a good system for the playoffs, let alone against the Spurs in a seve-game series. Many people's opinions in this forum are based solely upon said series'.

genghisrex
06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm not a big Marion fan, but I don't buy the Posey = Marion argument at all. Marion's more athletic, more active, and more talented. No one spoon feeds him rebounds and he gets a lot of his points that way. That said, despite Marion's blocks and steals I think Posey's a better defender.

ShoogarBear
06-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I would NOT trade manu for himThat's saying something. :lol

judaspriestess
06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't like his game at all. I can't quite put my finger on it but its just the way I feel about him. His shot is hideous. He just dunks well, thats about it IMO

my2sons
06-28-2007, 08:28 AM

cuz' tony continually went around his azz consistently in the playoffs..

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2007, 10:40 AM
17 million a year

Thats a classic Knicks contract.

why are we even talking about him in a Spurs forum?

BigBeezie
06-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm not a Marion fan at all. As others have said, he continues to disappear in the playoffs...