PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' plan calls for staying put

timvp
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Spurs' plan calls for staying put, while Garnett rumors abound
Mike Monroe
Express-News
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062807.01C.BKNspurs.draft.35bbd05.html

With two potential franchise-changing players available, what seemed impossible just a few days ago now has possibilities: Tonight's 2007 NBA draft will be a sidebar to the real news of the day in the league.

The draft will still be front and center tonight, and Ohio State center Greg Oden and Texas forward Kevin Durant will be picks No. 1 and No. 2, and the Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle SuperSonics penciled in as the NBA's Teams of the Future.

But the draft could be overshadowed if a trade rumored to have taken shape Wednesday involving a former Most Valuable Player and a current All-NBA first-teamer comes to fruition.

Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, the 2004 MVP, could end up in Phoenix, with All-NBA first team forward Amare Stoudemire re-joining his former Suns teammate, Joe Johnson, in Atlanta. The Timberwolves would start rebuilding a franchise that never truly got off the ground around draft picks it would receive from the deal.

Meanwhile, the 2007 NBA champion Spurs will wait to see how the intrigue plays out and react with one goal in mind.

"I just hope Phoenix doesn't have five Hall of Famers on their team next year," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, tongue in cheek, "but if they do, we'll go out and figure out a way to see if we can beat them."

With the 28th selection in the first round, plus the third pick (33rd overall) in the second, the Spurs haven't gotten a lot of calls from teams inquiring about potential trades.

"Where we've been in the draft, nobody pays attention to us," Buford said, "and we don't waste a lot of time concerning ourselves with (rumored blockbuster trades)."

Indeed, Buford said the Spurs don't approach tonight's draft as an opportunity to make one of the NBA's oldest rosters younger.

"There's a lot of very young teams out there that everybody likes to take pictures of," Buford said. "Those guys haven't made the playoffs in a while. Your championship rosters have oftentimes been some of the older teams in the league. So if we can keep our core group together and keep adding role players who fit the way we want to play and enhance the strengths of our core players, and vice versa, I'll be the oldest team in the league every year, if we can do that.

"Now, there's going to be a time and a day when they roll the wheelchairs out and take Tim (Duncan) and Tony (Parker) and Manu (Ginobili) out of here. But I'm sure at that point, it will be somebody else's problem."

One of the reasons Buford a few days ago was named the NBA's best general manager in a 1-through-30 ranking by Sports Illustrated is the fact the Spurs have been able to optimize the draft from a disadvantaged position. Parker was the 28th, and final, pick in the 2001 first round. Ginobili came out of the second round — the penultimate pick — in the 1999 draft. Both have been All-Stars, and Parker was MVP of this month's NBA Finals.

But the Spurs also have jettisoned their No. 1 picks in two of the last four drafts. Ian Mahinmi, their first-round selection (28th overall) in 2005, has yet to play in the NBA. He is developing his game in the French professional league, and he recently tore a muscle that will keep him off the Spurs' summer-league team.

With a draft considered deeper than most in recent memory, are there players potentially available at No. 28 who might actually make the Spurs' roster next season?

"Our roster is pretty full right now," Buford said. "A lot of it will have to do with the opportunities that are there. We've got quite a few players in place and a couple of guys overseas that at some point we'd like to get over here."

Argentine forward Luis Scola, selected in the second round of the 2002 draft, is considered one of the top players in Europe. Buying out the remainder of his contract with his Spanish team, Tau Ceramica, has been the impediment to his joining the Spurs.

Among those known to have auditioned for the Spurs are point guards Zabian Dowdell, of Virginia Tech and Petteri Koponen, of Honka Espoo (Finland); forwards David Teague, of Virginia Tech, Jared Dudley, of Boston College, Kyrylo Fesenko, a 7-footer from Ukraine, and Morris Almond, of Rice.

timvp
06-27-2007, 11:19 PM
"Our roster is pretty full right now," Buford said. "A lot of it will have to do with the opportunities that are there. We've got quite a few players in place and a couple of guys overseas that at some point we'd like to get over here."

Translation: We'll pick a foreigner if a good one drops or else we'll trade away the first rounder. We might draft a point guard in the second round, but don't count on it.

ducks
06-27-2007, 11:23 PM
or more cia before the draft
spurs are not like suns and do not leak anything they want to do

The Truth #6
06-27-2007, 11:32 PM
New players are always intriguing because they're new but in some ways the next group of role players could already be "on" the team. I'm thinking of Butler, White, and Scola (obviously assuming we can get him on contract.) Butler and White have already spent a year learning the confusing system and so I think it would be insane not to bring those two guys back and see what they can do. Oberto didn't do shit his first year, yet last year he did show much improvement, even if his raw stats don't fly off the charts.

The only real weakness that the draft could help us is getting a second string point guard. Butler and Scola could give us strength down low. White could get a chance to fill in for Bowen to help save him for the playoffs.

If we use our first round pick, then who are we going to let go?

Our #33 pick is more likely to be of use to R.C.

Just my 2 cents.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Nothing new. Full roster and they want to keep it together for another run, but will tweak a little, preferably with established talent. #33 is what makes this draft interesting for the Spurs. #28 is traded or used on an international talent. #58 is international all the way.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I just might putmy season tickets up for sale if these fuckers bring back Beno for another year.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:36 PM
I just might putmy season tickets up for sale if these fuckers bring back Beno for another year.

Beno's gone if they can find a taker. They gave him two chances to stick, which is one more than usual.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:38 PM
If they don't draft a point guard. That tells me they plan on rolling out the same shit backups.

Absolute bullshit if this happens.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:43 PM
They don't need to abandon their search for a 3rd point guard if the draft doesn't work out.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Pgs in the draft > pgs not in the draft available for the money the spurs want to spend.

SequSpur
06-27-2007, 11:47 PM
if jacque vaughn or beno come back, I ain't watching anymore.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:47 PM
If the guys are available the draft should go

Dudley

Dowdell

foreigner

If not Dowdell then taurean green.

There should be no excuse not getting someone in this draft that can contribute next year.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:48 PM
if jacque vaughn or beno come back, I ain't watching anymore

Better quit watching cause Vaughn IS coming back.

I don't mind Vaughn coming back as a third backup.

But the draft needs to bring in that PG.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-27-2007, 11:50 PM
:rollin

I completely forgot that KG won the MVP. HAHAHAHAHA, what a freaking LOSER!!

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Don't believe the draft hype.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Dowdell >>>>>> Anything the Spurs will have in summer league, vaughn, udrih

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I suspect we'll trade the picks again. I guess the idiots running the show in SA think Bowen can check Lebron, Kobe, etc. at age 40?

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 12:07 AM
3 in 5 idiocy is tough to top.

whottt
06-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Major trade up and coming...

I don't for one second believe the Spurs are stupid enough to stay put.

T Park
06-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't for one second believe the Spurs are stupid enough to stay put.

did you copy this post from 03 and 05?

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2007, 12:45 AM
did you copy this post from 03 and 05?

Jeez TPark...go eat another bacon wrapped twinkie. Your blood sugar is getting low and you are getting cranky.

Spurs have won 3 championships in 5 years. Last year they were one foul away from making it 4 of 5.

I think Spurs management know what they are doing.

T Park
06-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Jeez TPark...go eat another bacon wrapped twinkie. Your blood sugar is getting low and you are getting cranky

a personal attack, how predictable.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2007, 12:52 AM
LOL

You are just damned lucky your parents set you up in the carny business.

Your fantasy GM aspirations vs. actual managerial insight wouldn't pay the feed bill.

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Expect them to trade out of the 1st round - as has been the case in previous years.

koopa
06-28-2007, 01:01 AM
if we don't add some young players to this team it will be a huge mistake, this year everything fell perfect for us....... it's fucking retarded to stay the same while everyone retools, us staying the same never fucking works, i don't get why they wait till we get fucked up in the playoffs to change the team, we need to add young players cause horry is gonna keep on declining, brent barry is about as useless as a pecker on a pope, beno is hot garbage........ we have a lot of holes in this team, sure the championship is covering them up, but if we don't try to get better they will be exposed next may

FirebatMIV
06-28-2007, 01:03 AM
I don't think we can count on the same luck with injuries, playoff draw and other factors next year. To not at least add some prospective players to the talent pool would be fool-hardy. The more I hear RC talk, the more I think he's creeping to the "I'm Keith Hernandez" zone.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2007, 01:05 AM
LOL

Hey Koopa, You wanna bet your $25 V-bookie money that the Spurs will be playing next June? You obviously bet against them this year.

koopa
06-28-2007, 01:06 AM
i didn't bet them to lose, i bet them to win in six against the jazz cause i didn't want to jinx them by saying it was gonna be easier....... at another site i have over a billion vbookie points cause i kept betting on the spurs

but i'll bet it if we don't make any changes, cause if we stay the same as we are now, we will not make it out of the second round

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2007, 01:08 AM
i didn't bet them to lose, i bet them to win in six against the jazz cause i didn't want to jinx them by saying it was gonna be easier....... at another site i have over a billion vbookie points cause i kept betting on the spurs

but i'll bet it if we don't make any changes, cause if we stay the same as we are now, we will not make it out of the second round

Dusty, is that you? LOL

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 01:16 AM
I don't think we can count on the same luck with injuries, playoff draw and other factors next year. To not at least add some prospective players to the talent pool would be fool-hardy. The more I hear RC talk, the more I think he's creeping to the "I'm Keith Hernandez" zone.

I hate it when R.C. talks that way. That kind of talk wreaks of championship arrogance. What good is it to have players stashed overseas, if they are not able to integrate themselves into the team culture and getting valuable practice reps?

No one is suggesting that the Spurs perform any blockbuster trades or tear away at the core of this team. Furthermore, it's understood that any young player drafted would be hard pressed to gain any significant minutes. However, there is something to be said for adding to your core group of players.

Sure there will be a lot of cap room available next summer. However, the FO cannot and will not be able to restock the entire roster around the "big three" during that summer of '08. That process needs to start sooner.

Since they are not likely to make any FA signings, the draft is the quickest and cheapest way to replenish much-needed depth. This can be done while maintaining the integrity of the team's core.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2007, 02:15 AM
IMO the third PG will come from FA...not in the draft..we some one that can come in and contribute straight away, not some rookie....

that 7ft ukraine dude looks like a good project....

T Park
06-28-2007, 02:28 AM
You are just damned lucky your parents set you up in the carny business.

Oh yeah, I thank my lucky stars every day I spend 7 months away from home and am in a business that gives people ammunition to be prejudiced and have preconcieved notions about me.

HOT DAMN THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!

naico
06-28-2007, 03:48 AM
R.C. exciting the fans as always

Bruno
06-28-2007, 04:08 AM
CIA ?

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2151

The most active teams in trade talks from what we are hearing are certainly the Pacers, Suns, Timberwolves, Supersonics, Hawks and to a lesser extent the Spurs and 76ers.

hsxvvd
06-28-2007, 04:46 AM
Why are people hating Vaughn so much, he's a solid back up for Tony. It's not like he is being called on to play more than 15 minutes a game anyway. He doesn't make mistake and he hits open jump shots (See Phoenix Series). I guess you guys gave it to Avery in his time too.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2007, 05:14 AM
:lol @ they won't get out of the 2nd round.

Whatever.

timvp
06-28-2007, 07:26 AM
I think Buford is on the money with most of his takes. Outside of five or six rookies, no rookie is going to join the Spurs and help the team win a championship more than a Michael Finley or a Brent Barry -- even if those two guys are a combined 85 years old.

A lot of us like the thought of adding a nice rookie, but honestly it comes down to the fact that rookies are entertaining while a known quantity isn't. Considering veteran leadership and other intangibles, there isn't going to be a point guard where the Spurs draft that is going to offer much more to the table than Jacque Vaughn will.

The Spurs do need to gradually get younger but they've already started doing so. James White and Jackie Butler seem to be decent prospects. Their overseas prospects look decent as well.

While it'd be fun to add a Derrick Byars, Jared Dudley or Morris Almond to the mix, in the long run, doing so or not doing so won't win or lose the 2008 championship.

smeagol
06-28-2007, 08:04 AM

if jacque vaughn or beno come back, I ain't watching anymore.

Are you guys competing for the stupidest post on this thread?

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I think Buford is on the money with most of his takes. Outside of five or six rookies, no rookie is going to join the Spurs and help the team win a championship more than a Michael Finley or a Brent Barry -- even if those two guys are a combined 85 years old.

Agree to a point. However if R.C. and Pop truly believed that then they would have never taken a chance on Tony Parker and then made the unprecedented desicion to start him in the 5th game of the regular season that year.

They cannot continue to live off the production from the Parker/Ginobili picks of 6 or 7 years ago.

Sam
06-28-2007, 08:51 AM
They are trying to trade Barry, Beno and Butler.

spurscenter
06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
i love r.c.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2007, 09:06 AM

A lot of us like the thought of adding a nice rookie, but honestly it comes down to the fact that rookies are entertaining while a known quantity isn't. Considering veteran leadership and other intangibles, there isn't going to be a point guard where the Spurs draft that is going to offer much more to the table than Jacque Vaughn will.

The Spurs do need to gradually get younger but they've already started doing so. James White and Jackie Butler seem to be decent prospects. Their overseas prospects look decent as well.

While it'd be fun to add a Derrick Byars, Jared Dudley or Morris Almond to the mix, in the long run, doing so or not doing so won't win or lose the 2008 championship.

Come on LJ, you're better than this.

No one is expecting our first rounder to come in and be a starter. What we do need is a backup point and a Bowen apprentice. We need to get someone in at the SF spot that Bowen can teach the tricks of the trade to and the Spurs can give some regular season run to, which will both increase their learning curve and keep Bowen fresh for the post-season. When will people in the Spurs front office realize that Bowen is going to be another year older next year? They can't count on him staying in front of the premier gunners in the league forever.

I don't like what I'm hearing out of R.C. It wreaks of the championship arrogance we've had in years past where we won it. They get content, don't do anything for the summer, and then get punked in the playoffs the next year.

The scary thing is they seem to have settled into the mindset once again that veteran experience trumps young athleticism, which is fool's gold. Dallas is still the team best suited and built to take down SA, and the Spurs have done nothing to address the weaknesses that Dallas was able to exploit last year.

It's wreckless to say that 'we're just one Manu foul away from winning', and pretend that Dallas hasn't gotten better since. We can't count on Golden State taking care of Dallas for us every year, and if we do then this front office is more shortsighted than I thought.

The other thing is, this 2008 plan is fool's gold. The Spurs have never successfully lured a young FA to SA in their history. Every time they have cleared substantial cap room in the TD era, all they have gotten to show for it is aging veterans looking for a free ride to a title.

This is one of the deepest drafts of all time, and the Spurs have three great picks in it. They need to take advantage of it.

timvp
06-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Did you just steal a line from Mark Jackson? :lol

No one is expecting our first rounder to come in and be a starter. What we do need is a backup point and a Bowen apprentice. We need to get someone in at the SF spot that Bowen can teach the tricks of the trade to and the Spurs can give some regular season run to, which will both increase their learning curve and keep Bowen fresh for the post-season. When will people in the Spurs front office realize that Bowen is going to be another year older next year? They can't count on him staying in front of the premier gunners in the league forever.

I don't like what I'm hearing out of R.C. It wreaks of the championship arrogance we've had in years past where we won it. They get content, don't do anything for the summer, and then get punked in the playoffs the next year.

The scary thing is they seem to have settled into the mindset once again that veteran experience trumps young athleticism, which is fool's gold. Dallas is still the team best suited and built to take down SA, and the Spurs have done nothing to address the weaknesses that Dallas was able to exploit last year.

It's wreckless to say that 'we're just one Manu foul away from winning', and pretend that Dallas hasn't gotten better since. We can't count on Golden State taking care of Dallas for us every year, and if we do then this front office is more shortsighted than I thought.

The other thing is, this 2008 plan is fool's gold. The Spurs have never successfully lured a young FA to SA in their history. Every time they have cleared substantial cap room in the TD era, all they have gotten to show for it is aging veterans looking for a free ride to a title.

This is one of the deepest drafts of all time, and the Spurs have three great picks in it. They need to take advantage of it.

Valid points. Except for one problem: there isn't a Bowen replacement in this draft where the Spurs are picking. In fact, James White is closer to being a Bowen replacement than anyone the Spurs could pick at 28.

And yeah a point guard would be nice but you're probably looking at a Beno Udrih replacement. Not exactly a need that can't be filled elsewhere.

I hope the Spurs use this draft to get younger but I don't see a Bowen replacement available or any other must have prospect at 28. Players like Fernandez, Dudley and Byars would be nice, but those are more Brent Barry replacements than Bruce Bowen replacements.

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 09:23 AM

Exactly. One of the primary jobs of the GM is to try and improve the team so they can stay competitive over the long haul. R.C. has done a masterful job at that, which is why he's earned the reputation he has.

However, at some point he and the rest of the F.O. are going to have to make full payment on these "old checks" they have held onto. I hope R.C. is posturing when he makes those types of comments. He's not doing his job if he sits on his ass, trades away draft picks and is simply content with having the oldest team in the league.

Age and experience do win in the playoffs, yet older players often get hurt. The Spurs experienced a lot of good fortune last season because they remained virtually injury-free. However, you can only play with "house money" for so long.

The apprenticeship for a young player in the Spurs system probably takes 1-3 years. Just like a championship team is not built overnight, the same goes with team depth. The FO cannot simply bank of bringing a host of complimentary talent next summer. They do NEED to start the process now.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Spurs need to fill out the rest of their roster (a whopping 2 spots..maybe) with rookie types that will be avialable to help them in the future, if not this year.

The FO may have loaded the team with older veterans, but as recent as last year, they've shown the ability to take a combined approach...

They added Elson, who was an NBA veteran with limited upside and a fairly known quantity...then took a flier on an unknown quantity with big upside in Jackie Butler.

I think last year's off-season was a sign that the Spurs understand they're getting older and need an infusion for the next generation.

I hope to see the roster filled out with young guys that could potentially step in next year, but would definitely be ready for 08-09, even though I understand that some veterans will be added at that point as well.

naico
06-28-2007, 09:27 AM

EXACTLY

SAGambler
06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
if we don't add some young players to this team it will be a huge mistake, this year everything fell perfect for us....... it's fucking retarded to stay the same while everyone retools, us staying the same never fucking works, i don't get why they wait till we get fucked up in the playoffs to change the team, we need to add young players cause horry is gonna keep on declining, brent barry is about as useless as a pecker on a pope, beno is hot garbage........ we have a lot of holes in this team, sure the championship is covering them up, but if we don't try to get better they will be exposed next may

This sounds a lot like many of the threads on here in February 2007.

Too old...

Too slow...

Can't win another "Ship"......

FO sucks....

And it never quits.....

Yet who looks like the genius and who looks the fool when all is said and done.

I guess there really is a reason why Spursfans aren't allowed to run the team.

wildbill2u
06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
CIA ?

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2151
I read that article about the Spurs being involved in trade talks--and was pissed that the writer gave no clue as to which player or club or whatever. You'd think if there was a rumor worthy of writing about, he'd have that info.

easjer
06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Eh, I have mixed feelings. The team is getting younger and if another young player is available to fill a need/apprenticeship, then take him. But on the other hand, don't waste a roster spot on someone who can't be a viable filler in a year or two.

I thought they did a good job of combining their needs for youth with veteran experience/leadership this year, and I hope the trend continues for the next two years, so we can feel moderately better about TD's retirement.

What makes my eye twitch was RC's statement that Manu/Tony/Tim being gone would be someone else problem to deal with. My eye is still twitching.

MisterWhodat
06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
I like Dudley and Davis, but I have a feeling we are going to go in a way different direction.

drmvp
06-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Sometime back in the mid 90's...

...there isn't going to be a point guard where the Rockets draft that is going to offer much more to the table than Scotty Brooks will.

And so instead of choosing Sam Cassell with their late first round pick, the Rockets used their pick as an enticement for someone to take Matt Bullards $425K salary off the books.

Meanwhile, Hakeem Olajuwon went on to be considered the greatest player never to have won a championship.

rascal
06-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Excellent post. The spurs need to have the midset to always try to improve and explore all options to get better to stay on top.

They need to add new younger talented players so there won't be a total decline in the talent level where they will have too many holes at the same time to fill.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM

And so instead of choosing Sam Cassell with their late first round pick, the Rockets used their pick as an enticement for someone to take Matt Bullards $425K salary off the books.

Meanwhile, Hakeem Olajuwon went on to be considered the greatest player never to have won a championship.

Who's the Cassell in this draft?

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Excellent post. The spurs need to have the midset to always try to improve and explore all options to get better to stay on top.

They need to add new younger talented players so there won't be a total decline in the talent level where they will have too many holes at the same time to fill.

Another home run! It's amazing that many of us see what R.C. and Pop are either too arrogant to admit or are in complete denial about.

There are ways this team can be improved upon that we not necessarily filled by the acquisitions of Bonner, Elson, Butler and Vaughn last summer. Keep tryin' to play Bowen 35-39 minutes a game and let's see if that works as well this season.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
The Spurs build the supporting cast around the Big 3 to put themselves in the best position to win in the postseason. If you look at the 'draft mistakes' over the last 5 drafts (Howard, Lee) those were the result of the Spurs moving their picks to accomplish other objectives (clearing cap room for a run at Kidd in '03 and moving Rose because of his contract).

The Spurs' window is now. TD is 31 and Manu will be 30 next month. A huge part of the Spurs' postseason success is tied to Manu. Given the way he plays, perhaps he will be able to play at the same high level in the postseason for a couple more seasons. Maybe there is someone in this draft who will be available at 28 or 33 who can step in right away. But for every Cassell or Howard there are 10 guys selected in that part of the draft who won't be.

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm surprised the Atlanta Hawks braintrust isn't looking to horn in on the Finnish basketball market, which is burgeoning.

FirebatMIV
06-28-2007, 12:04 PM
The Spurs build the supporting cast around the Big 3 to put themselves in the best position to win in the postseason. If you look at the 'draft mistakes' over the last 5 drafts (Howard, Lee) those were the result of the Spurs moving their picks to accomplish other objectives (clearing cap room for a run at Kidd in '03 and moving Rose because of his contract).

The Spurs' window is now. TD is 31 and Manu will be 30 next month. A huge part of the Spurs' postseason success is tied to Manu. Given the way he plays, perhaps he will be able to play at the same high level in the postseason for a couple more seasons. Maybe there is someone in this draft who will be available at 28 or 33 who can step in right away. But for every Cassell or Howard there are 10 guys selected in that part of the draft who won't be.

I don't understand what this really has to do with anything. So what's our objective this year? To try our best to ignore an aging roster and hope that everything breaks just right for us again?

That's the problem a lot of posters have right now. Our objective this year is to get younger and begin integrating our young players into the rotation. From all his quotes, it doesn't seem RC wants to do that. Nobody is saying discard the core or even most of the older position players. What they are saying is that if you can replace a guy like Brent Barry with someone who is younger, stronger, and brings a similar skillset (like Morris Almond), you should do it. Yeah, not every draft pick turns out well, but allowing an already old roster to further age isn't the way to go.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
The objective is to win a championship next season. That should be clear.

Nobody in this forum knows if Morris Almond can even make it in this league. Now you want to replace a known quantity like Barry with him and castigate the front office for not doing so?

Also, do Spurs fans not realize that James White is on the team?

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Adam (Hartford): Spurs and Jarrod Dudley???

Chad Ford: (1:19 PM ET ) No one knows what the Spurs are doing. They're the most secretive team in the league. Dudley is a guess. Petteri Koponnen and Zabian Dowdell are other guesses.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Spurs fans also seem to ignore the fact that the team has its MLE and LLE to use this summer to bring in proven talent. I don't see any reason why we should believe they won't make use of those. Some of you are extrapolating way too much out of what Buford actually said.

ClingingMars
06-28-2007, 12:45 PM
If the guys are available the draft should go

Dudley

Dowdell

foreigner

If not Dowdell then taurean green.

There should be no excuse not getting someone in this draft that can contribute next year.

Dudley > Dowdell

(dowdell is overrated)

-Mars

picnroll
06-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Spurs 28th pick is going to Beno, to dump him. That's one 28th to get him and one 28th to get rid of him. The circle jerk completed.

drmvp
06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Who's the Cassell in this draft?

Know one knew at the time that Cassell was the "Cassell" of his draft.

Will the Spurs pick up a rookie at 28/33 who will hit the game-clinching 3-ball in Game 3 of the Finals, in MSG no less, like Sam-I-Am did? Well, probably not (of course, there isn't going to be a Finals game at MSG anytime soon :dizzy).

But I'm sick and tired of Jason Kidd plans or 08' plans, or whatever-the-hell other plans that involve the delusion that some max free agent in his prime will join the Spurs. Plans that put the focus on anything other than fielding the best, realistically available talent possible. I'm also sick and tired of the kind of negativity and pooh-poohing that says a rookie PG in one of the deepest drafts ever can't out-compete Jacques Fucking Vaughn (no disrespect to JV; I admire his heart).

This is a very special time for the Spurs with Tim, Tony and Manu in their primes. Yeah, I thankful for the thrilling championships. There's no better testament to the greatness of our terrific triplet than that.

But I also am prescient enough to realize that the margin of error is razor thin next year. Amare is right that Phoenix was an inch away -- really that series was a toss up. Dallas is still there. Utah's coming on strong.

So forgive me if I want more than a razor-thin chance. I want dominance. I want the kind of euphoria-inducing, dynasty-establishing, awe-inspiring dominance that makes grown men giggle. Sadly, if not for the goddamn "Plans," the Spurs would probably be on their way to a 6-peat next year.

So who's the Cassell of this draft? I couldn't honestly tell you. I haven't spent hours watching film footage, interviewing the players and attending workouts. But I have read that experts say this is one of the deepest drafts ever, and the Spurs have two nice picks. This team needs an injection of youthful enthusiasm, moxie, charisma and athleticism. Picking the next Cassell is R.C.'s and Pop's job. But based on their performance of the past 4-5 years, I'm fairly convinced they'll pass up on another Howard or a Barbosa or a Lee for some inane reason like getting rid of Beno's last contract year. If Beno can't make the roster and no one will take him, cut him and eat the goddamn contract.

I want the Spurs to TRY! They may not hit on the next Cassell/Redd/Howard/Barbosa/Milsap/Gibson/Boozer etc., etc. Those players are frequently out there, but the Spurs will never tap them if they don't even try.

timvp
06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
This drmvp poster looks like a good addition. And yeah that was a pretty funny blast regarding Cassell.

Welcome :tu

ChumpDumper
06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I can't see the Spurs bringing in more than one draft choice to this team next season. Given the young guys who are already on the team, there's not much need.

timvp
06-28-2007, 01:42 PM

...there isn't going to be a point guard where the Rockets draft that is going to offer much more to the table than Scotty Brooks will.

Nicely done :rollin

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
The Spurs have to balance their draft plans with their moves in free agency. As it stands, they do have a fairly stacked roster. Yes, it can be shuffled somewhat, but are they to forestall a move to bring in an experienced vet this summer for the possibility that someone they draft at #28 can pan out? It worked with Parker, but did it work with Udrih? How will Spurs fans feel if the Spurs fill up the roster and then don't make a move on a free agent because they can't move the domestic player they drafted or don't want to take the $2 million hit or whatever it will be to waive them?

Just as free agency and trades haven't worked out for the Spurs, sometimes they have. Sure, I'd love for the Spurs to be able to snag the hidden late 1st round gem every draft and pick up the key veteran free agent every summer but life's unfair.

El_Mago
06-28-2007, 02:07 PM
As I have said all along, the Spurs will stay put and draft a foreigner.

The Spurs since last years draft have claimed this is the deepest draft in the past decade, and have positioned themselves nicely (last year draft trades) to select some very good players.

However, I mentioned that the best bet for the Spurs would be to select a foreigner and stash him away for a year. Thus, his contract will not have a direct effect on free agency next year.

The Spurs can find themselves a good back up point with the 33rd, and set that players contract however they please, which becomes a bit more cap friendly.

Thus, the Spurs stick it out and draft either Belinelli, Rodriguez, Koponen, or another international.

Selections for the 33rd can range from Dudley to Dowdell, to Green.

drmvp
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
This drmvp poster looks like a good addition. And yeah that was a pretty funny blast regarding Cassell.

Welcome :tu

Hey, thanks! It's a real honor to be welcomed by the Grand Mahatma of Spurs Fandom himself. :king

And sorry about some of my rant-like musings. I get a little riled up around draft time when I think about the Josh Howard/Barbosa thingy.

Ahhhhh ... breathe .... There, I'm fine now. :downspin:

BeerIsGood!
06-28-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure any of the available players at 28 or 33 would be able to come in and be any kind of a contributor right away. At the same time I don't know if any of the international young talent that would be available at 28 would be effective in another 2 - 3 seasons.

IMO, with the limited number of roster spots available, the Spurs best bet would be to draft for the future (players they can stash) with at least two if not all three slots. There is no Bowen-like player in this draft, and probably no legitimate SF prospect worth using both a roster spot and the 1st or early 2nd on. If there is to be any player taken to make the roster immediately, it should be a PG to take Beno's 3rd spot. My guess is they draft international with 28th, PG with 33rd, international with 56th.

picnroll
06-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Let's say you have a choice but you have to choose one or the other. Trade Beno, free up the roster space and a little luxury tax and use that to sign Mo Peterson or keep Beno and use the 28 pick. Which do you do?

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Let's say you have a choice but you have to choose one or the other. Trade Beno, free up the roster space and a little luxury tax and use that to sign Mo Peterson or keep Beno and use the 28 pick. Which do you do?

Neither. I like the idea of trading Beno and freein gup a roster spot. You lost me on the Mo Peterson thing. He could probably help, but not sure the Spurs would be interested in him. They certainly don't appear willing to take on any existing contracts of up to 2-3 years or beyond.

ArgSpursFan
06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Translation: We'll pick a foreigner if a good one drops or else we'll trade away the first rounder. We might draft a point guard in the second round, but don't count on it......

missing on the translation:We´ll try to get Scola this year If there´s nothing real good in the second round.