PDA

View Full Version : The NBA finals ratings were not that bad

dav4463
06-28-2007, 03:13 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN2627620720070627?rpc=92

This article says all the networks ratings reached a new low. It said ABC suffered because there was NOT a sixth and/or seventh game of the NBA finals! Funny, I thought the ratings were too low anyway.

The article just shows that today there is a LOT more things that occupy people's time. There are hundreds of cable and satellite channels to choose from. The computer has taken away a LOT of TV viewers as well. The NBA is still popular. Anybody can see that. Sure the ratings would have been higher had the Cavs had a chance to win, but for us Spurs fans....we got to enjoy a no-stress championship!

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Suns vs Cavs would not have been any better, unless of course the Cavs managed to win some games.

Then ratings would have been higher...

Phil Hellmuth
06-28-2007, 10:49 AM
comparing finals ratings to other finals ratings, it was bad, no disputing that.

article is simply saying if there was a game 5 or game 6 that would have most certainly beat out the reruns they were doing and thus higher ratings.

da_suns_fan__
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Suns vs Cavs would not have been any better, unless of course the Cavs managed to win some games.

Then ratings would have been higher...

:rolleyes

Right...because the Suns don't draw anymore interest or aren't a million times more fun to watch than the Spurs.

ambchang
06-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Right...because the Suns don't draw anymore interest or aren't a million times more fun to watch than the Spurs.
Which fits nicely into why the Sterns conspire against them.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Stern had to flex his muscles!

lebomb
06-28-2007, 11:27 AM

How can they be more fun to watch, when the Spurs have OUTSCORED them almost every single fuckin time they have played.

What a bunch of dumb ass people in Phoenix.....I swear. I hope yall NEVER win one. That goes for Dallas too. :flipoff

NorCal510
06-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Stern had to flex his muscles!
:sleep

Shred
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.nndb.com/people/972/000022906/saeed.jpg

da_suns_fan__
06-28-2007, 01:27 PM

PRICELESS!

Instead of Baghdad Bob, we have San Antonio Stern!

Soul_Patch
06-28-2007, 01:53 PM
so

what makes the suns so fun to watch? i dont get it.

RonMexico
06-28-2007, 02:00 PM
so

For me, it's not seeing Eva Longoria every 5 seconds...

Johnny RIngo
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
so

I think it's the gimmick offense D'Antoni runs and the complete lack of defense. That's also why they've failed to beat any team besides the Lakers in the postseason(a team that surprisingly has worse D than the S0ns).

Their window's closing and history's against them(no team with a defense as bad as the S0ns has ever won the 'ship aside from MJ's Bulls or the Shaq/Kobe Lakers). The only chance the S0ns have for a championship is to keep stockpiling players like Garnett and hope TD gets injured next year.

ambchang
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Probably enjoys watching the Suns miss more FG, and 3 pters, less rebounds, steals and blocks, not to mention the joys of seeing your favourite team run out of gas in the playoffs.

ambchang
06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Is he helping answer why the Sterns are interested in helping a low-ratings boring basketball team over the favouritest team of recent NBA history?
He is good at explanations that defies logic, so he would probably do a great job here.

da_suns_fan__
06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
http://polnotes.typepad.com/windfarmblog/images/pinocchio.gif

Chad Ford (left) and his producer discuss the latest NBA rumors before going on the air. Ailing from the lowest-rated Finals in history, the NBA and ESPN has recaptured the public's interest with a dramatic off-season. (ESPN/Disney images)

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 02:50 PM

Honestly, do you think the Suns would not beat the Cavs?

Do you think that the games would be close?

Would there be any reason for a casual fan to watch Steve Nash and Amare beat LeBron senseless?

No. Wasn't the best rated games in the Playoffs Suns vs Spurs?

It's not the Spurs fault the Cavs suck.

da_suns_fan__
06-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Honestly, do you think the Suns would not beat the Cavs?

Do you think that the games would be close?

Would there be any reason for a casual fan to watch Steve Nash and Amare beat LeBron senseless?

No. Wasn't the best rated games in the Playoffs Suns vs Spurs?

It's not the Spurs fault the Cavs suck.

OF COURSE I believe the games would have been better.

They would have been played at a faster pace. More running and less looking at the coach for instructions on what to do next!!!

The Spurs just play a very boring brand of basketball....

The Ohio State/Florida game wasn't close but it was MUCH more entertaining than any Spurs game.

Same with the Superbowl.

You want to blame the Cavs? Give me a break, you homer (no pun intended)!!!

Johnny RIngo
06-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Why do people assume S0ns would have made the Finals? The Jazz would have had 'em in 6. DWilliams was dropping 30 a game on the Spurs elite defense. Imagine what he'd be doing to Steve Trash and his piss poor defense.

D'Antoni and his gimmick system will never win a championship. No defense=no championship

cole
06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
the biggest knock against the spurs is that they don't bring in enough national ratings when winning championships.

i can live with that.

i still don't understand why people get upset about the low rating. other teams' fans didn't want to watch us win our fourth title. how insulting ...

Johnny RIngo
06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
the biggest knock against the spurs is that they don't bring in enough national ratings when winning championships.

i can live with that.

i still don't understand why people get upset about the low rating. other teams' fans didn't want to watch us win our fourth title. how insulting ...

Who cares about ratings. We have 4 championship. S0ns have 0. The Mavs, Nuggets, and Jazz have a better shot at a championship than the S0ns anyway. At least those teams understand the concept of defense.

RonMexico
06-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Probably enjoys watching the Suns miss more FG, and 3 pters, less rebounds, steals and blocks, not to mention the joys of seeing your favourite team run out of gas in the playoffs.

Well, considering the fact that the Suns outrebounded the Spurs in the series... I think you're wrong again, gorilla.

da_suns_fan__
06-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Who cares about ratings. We have 4 championship. S0ns have 0. The Mavs, Nuggets, and Jazz have a better shot at a championship than the S0ns anyway. At least those teams understand the concept of defense.

Its easy to see how much you FEAR and HATE the Suns.

Johnny RIngo
06-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Its easy to see how much you FEAR and HATE the Suns.

Fear? LOL

I'm much more concerned about the Mavs TBQH. The Steve Trash S0ns have never been a match for the Spurs. Why the hell would I be worried about them? D'Antoni being coach of the S0ns guarantees a Spurs post-season victory every time.

DOMINATOR
06-28-2007, 05:36 PM
wow Sun's fans are pathetic. suns vs. spurs was highest rating in the playoffs because of 2 good teams unlike that crap Cavs team.

ambchang
06-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, considering the fact that the Suns outrebounded the Spurs in the series... I think you're wrong again, gorilla.
see regular season stats.
If you want to take a randomly small subset of the games throughout the season, I can "prove" that Team A > Team B in any given stat for most teams.

RonMexico
06-29-2007, 06:17 AM
see regular season stats.
If you want to take a randomly small subset of the games throughout the season, I can "prove" that Team A > Team B in any given stat for most teams.

What are you talking about? You're the one that made some kind of stupid comment about the Suns missing more 3 pointers, field goals, etc. etc. when they had the highest percentage in the league for the whole season!

You're an idiot.

milkyway21
06-29-2007, 06:41 AM

Dirk said enough already... move on!
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6929920_51_1.jpg:lol

ambchang
06-29-2007, 07:32 AM
What are you talking about? You're the one that made some kind of stupid comment about the Suns missing more 3 pointers, field goals, etc. etc. when they had the highest percentage in the league for the whole season!

You're an idiot.
They did miss more 3 pointers AND field goals during the season.
Is it too hard to comprehend that they can jack up way more shots, both make and miss more FGs even with a higher percentage?
So you need an example?
Team A shoots 51% on 1000 FGAs, so they make 510, and misses 490
Team B shoots 50% on 900 FGAs, so they make 450 and misses 450.
Team A misses more shots than team B despite a higher FG%, get it?
But since I am an idiot, it's really hard to justify me being right to a genius like you. Perhaps you can point out how I was wrong, I would like to learn.

ShoogarBear
06-29-2007, 09:14 AM
so

what makes the suns so fun to watch? i dont get it.The incessant whining, pissing, and moaning.

ShoogarBear
06-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Sun Fan, cheer up. The Spurs just bought the Austin Toros of the D-League. That means you're not the only team they own now.

RonMexico
06-29-2007, 09:46 AM
They did miss more 3 pointers AND field goals during the season.
Is it too hard to comprehend that they can jack up way more shots, both make and miss more FGs even with a higher percentage?
So you need an example?
Team A shoots 51% on 1000 FGAs, so they make 510, and misses 490
Team B shoots 50% on 900 FGAs, so they make 450 and misses 450.
Team A misses more shots than team B despite a higher FG%, get it?
But since I am an idiot, it's really hard to justify me being right to a genius like you. Perhaps you can point out how I was wrong, I would like to learn.

Because that's the dumbest analogy of all time... comparing a run-and-gun team with one that slows the pace down and shoots less shots

Oh, and that's not even the implication of your original argument, pal.

MadDog73
06-29-2007, 10:14 AM
You want to blame the Cavs? Give me a break, you homer (no pun intended)!!!

Of course I blame the Cavs!!!

The second half of game 2 comes to mind... I can't imagine anyone watching that slaughter unless you were a Spurs fan.

The Cavs slowed the game down in game 3 and 4, and combined with poor shooting from both teams, made for some ugly basketball.

Spurs did there best to lose game 3, but the Cavs did not step up and make it a series. Oh well.

It's not like I'm getting a share of ABC/ESPN's profits, why should I give a fuck?

ambchang
06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Because that's the dumbest analogy of all time... comparing a run-and-gun team with one that slows the pace down and shoots less shots

Oh, and that's not even the implication of your original argument, pal.

That is not the dumbest analogy of all time, because that is what happened.

Tell me where my original quote was wrong:

Go look up team stats for the regular season for both teams, and tell me ONE thing that is incorrect in that statement.

Phoenix shot 6855 FGA, made 3388, missed 3467
Spurs shot 6328 FGA, made 2999, missed 3329
3467 > 3329, Suns missed more FGA.

Phoenix shot 1965 3PA, made 785, missed 1180
Spurs shot 1561 3PA, made 595, missed 966.
1180 > 966, Suns missed more 3 pters than the Spurs.

Phoenix got 3320 rebounds, Spurs got 3337 rebounds, 3320 < 3337, Suns got less rebounds than the Spurs.

Phoenix got 553 steals, Spurs got 587, 553 < 587, Suns got less steals than the Spurs.

Phoenix got 394 blocks, Spurs got 417. 394 < 417, Suns got less blocks than the Spurs.

Perhaps you can argue that it wasn't the Suns running out of gas that caused them to lose, maybe they just sucked. So this is subjective.

Oh, one more thing, don't try to argue what MY implication of MY original argument is, because I know better than you regarding MY implication and MY argument.

ClingingMars
06-29-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry that winning championships isn't entertaining enough for you whining Sun bitches.

-Mars

bob bass sucks
06-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Why not blame the ABC crew(pre,post game show,announcers, play by play). The TNT crew is 1,000 times better than ABC. Shit, I would watch paint dry, if the TNT crew was on the job.

judaspriestess
06-30-2007, 05:36 PM

NO they don't draw any more interest and they are not really all that fun to watch. Seeing Marion throw up those jumpshots is beyond the pale in hideous. a million more times my ass. :rolleyes

jag
06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
:sleep

Sweet ride Norcal.....

:lmao

da_suns_fan__
07-02-2007, 01:02 PM
NO they don't draw any more interest and they are not really all that fun to watch. Seeing Marion throw up those jumpshots is beyond the pale in hideous. a million more times my ass. :rolleyes

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17922381/

http://www.nba.com/finals2007/

In three out of the four NBA finals games, the Spurs scored less points than the Florida Gators did in winning their second consecutive title.

This despite the Gators playing 8 less minutes and having a ten second longer shot clock.

And Spurs fans wonder why pundits call their team "boring".

tsb2000
07-02-2007, 01:12 PM
If winning championships is boring, than bored am I! :toast

http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

Doug Collins
07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17922381/

http://www.nba.com/finals2007/

In three out of the four NBA finals games, the Spurs scored less points than the Florida Gators did in winning their second consecutive title.

This despite the Gators playing 8 less minutes and having a ten second longer shot clock.

And Spurs fans wonder why pundits call their team "boring".

So because the Gators outscored the Spurs when playing Ohio State, that makes the Spurs boring?

You're an idiot.

da_suns_fan__
07-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Not surprisingly, the NCAA championship game got twice the viewership of the finals...

http://tvweek.com/ratings/040207.pdf

But im sure thats due to market sizes.

Oh wait....cleveland is in ohio....hmmmm.

Findog
07-02-2007, 01:45 PM
CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!

Suns fan: "Spurs are boring."

Spurs fan: "Four rings, bitch."

Dallas fan: "You both suck."

Spurs/Suns fans in unison: "Chokers."

Doug Collins
07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Not surprisingly, the NCAA championship game got twice the viewership of the finals...

http://tvweek.com/ratings/040207.pdf

But im sure thats due to market sizes.

Oh wait....cleveland is in ohio....hmmmm.

Maybe it's because it's a single game championship and the NCAA tournament is one of the most viewed/followed sporting events of the year...but please go on your arguments are so logical and intriguing. :rolleyes

da_suns_fan__
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Youre seriously telling me the Spurs/Cavs got such a worse rating than Florida/Ohio is because of the number of games they played?

I guarantee that if the Gators played the Buckeyes in a best of seven, it would have EASILY drawn much more interest....how could it NOT? There was buzz about that match up. People like to watch Oden. They don't like to watch Duncan.

The Spurs and Cavs were all time low. ROCK BOTTOM. It can't get any worse than this, can it?

td4mvp21
07-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Sun Fan, cheer up. The Spurs just bought the Austin Toros of the D-League. That means you're not the only team they own now.

:lmao :tu

Doug Collins
07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Youre seriously telling me the Spurs/Cavs got such a worse rating than Florida/Ohio is because of the number of games they played?

I guarantee that if the Gators played the Buckeyes in a best of seven, it would have EASILY drawn much more interest....how could it NOT? There was buzz about that match up. People like to watch Oden. They don't like to watch Duncan.

The Spurs and Cavs were all time low. ROCK BOTTOM. It can't get any worse than this, can it?

NCAA Tournament >>>>>> NBA finals in this day and age. People whose NBA team isn't in the Finals generally don't care and don't watch. Most every sports fan will watch the NCAA tournament and championship game, especially with all the gambling involved.

In the end it doesnt matter. Spurs = boring, who cares. I enjoy watching them win championships so I could really give a shit what their national perception is. Your nonsensical arguments are comparing 2 different things.

da_suns_fan__
07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
NCAA Tournament >>>>>> NBA finals in this day and age. People whose NBA team isn't in the Finals generally don't care and don't watch. Most every sports fan will watch the NCAA tournament and championship game, especially with all the gambling involved.

In the end it doesnt matter. Spurs = boring, who cares. I enjoy watching them win championships so I could really give a shit what their national perception is. Your nonsensical arguments are comparing 2 different things.

LMAO!

Comparing the NBA Finals to the NCAA Championship game is nonsensical?

Right...because:
1) They're both basketball
2) They both determine the champions of their respective league
3) They're both on national television

But it doesn't make any sense to compare the two?

Tell me which part you don't understand and I'll explain it to you.

I guess it doesn't make any sense to compare the Spurs and Suns since theyre two completely different things, right?

What a dumb-ass.

dav4463
07-02-2007, 04:26 PM
I didn't hate the Mavs until Cuban and the fans started up with their incessant whining. I once posted that if AlQueda national team played the Mavs, I would root for AlQueda! That's how much I hate the Mavs.

Compared to the Suns, I love the Mavs.

Suns fans are the most whiny, stupid, stubborn, idiotic babies I've ever seen in my life!

sprrs
07-02-2007, 08:44 PM

What are you talking about? Of course number of games played and number of viewers is related. Elimination games are always more exciting and what the fans want to see. Case in point: game 7 of the '05 NBA finals drew an 11.9 rating, compared to the abysmal 6 point ratings the '07 finals drew.

Yes the Spurs are boring and all that, but the system of the NBA doesn't exactly help their popularity.

cecil collins
07-03-2007, 01:24 AM

Lets trade Duncan for carrot top. Maybe then we would produce some real ratings. People liked to watch Duncan in college, but NBA fans expect more flashy play. If you can't appreciate what Duncan does, then you are watching the wrong fucking sport. How did you people let Slamball go off the air?

Also, a one game finals would undoubtedly draw more ratings(not total, but per game), because anything can happen. The problem was, ESPN couldn't hype up Lebron enough to make people believe it would be a series.

Johnny RIngo
07-03-2007, 02:00 AM

LMFAO!

Reggie Miller
07-03-2007, 10:56 AM
ESPN/ABC is directly responsible for the declining ratings, IMHO. There has been a steady decline since ABC took over televising the Finals. Shaq's teams led to relatively higher ratings in 2004 and 2006, but even those Finals were low-rated compared to the Lakers 2000-2002 run on NBC.

ABC does not promote the NBA with prime time broadcast games during the regular season like NBC did. Strange as it may seem to many people, poor foks don't always have cable. You cannot realistically follow the NBA anymore without cable and internet access. Obviously, this does not help ratings. Many people can't watch the NBA until the playoffs start and tend to lose interest once their team is eliminated.

I haven't even begun to discuss the problems with the ESPN/ABC broadcasts themselves. Others have written on this topic quite eloquently, but here are a couple of quick points. If Jeff Van Gundy is your most informed and dynamic analyst/announcer, then you are in deep shit. At this point, I think that the Disney networks have stopped aiming at the lowest common denominator and lowered their sights a bit. It is very demoralizing to have your intelligence insulted and assaulted for 2-3 hours. ESPN dumbs down the broadcast to the point that I really question who the hell they are trying to interest/entertain. Does any sports fan (or any male for that matter) give a @#$% about the births of the players' kids? The half-time presentations were just awful. Grant Hill's speech coach needs to explain that hand gestures aren't needed for every sentence. Also, Barry, Hill, and Wilbon were obviously reading off of teleprompters, quite amateurishly. Just embarrasingly awful on every level.

Note to ESPN: When it is obvious that a particular team (i.e. Spurs) is going to make the Finals, you may not want to spend 2-3 weeks running down the team, especially when your parent network holds the broadcasting rights. Don't forget, ESPN/ABC was in the midst of negotiations for future rights during this period. I wouldn't be at all surprised if ESPN/ABC deliberately sabotaged ratings to low-ball the NBA. (This does not appear to have actually happened, but I thought so at the time.) Probably even more significant is the constant and unremitting negative coverage of the NBA by ESPN in general.

Obviously, the Spurs do not draw the same numbers as the Lakers. However, the relative strength and size of the San Antonio and Cleveland markets is just one small part of the overall picture. Any Suns fan that thinks that Phoenix would have drawn significantly higher ratings is kidding themselves. The real issues are that ESPN/ABC is killing the ratings, the Finals were not going to be competitive with the current EC, and league scheduling needlessly prolongs the playoffs (killing any momentum with viewing habits). Obviously, the relative popularity of the Spurs is not the main isssue.

ambchang
07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
LMAO!

Comparing the NBA Finals to the NCAA Championship game is nonsensical?

Right...because:
1) They're both basketball
2) They both determine the champions of their respective league
3) They're both on national television

But it doesn't make any sense to compare the two?

Tell me which part you don't understand and I'll explain it to you.

I guess it doesn't make any sense to compare the Spurs and Suns since theyre two completely different things, right?

What a dumb-ass.

Apparently, it was a higher rating than the Mavs and the Heat in 2006.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2497161
9 compared to 8.5 average. Hmmm ..... so the Mavs and Heat are also more boring than Gators and Ohio.