PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Deal Destined To Die

SpursFanFirst
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Three-way Garnett deal destined to die

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
June 27,
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-nbadraft062707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

NEW YORK – After several promising hours, the proposed three-team trade that would've delivered Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Garnett to the Phoenix Suns appears destined to die, a league source said Wednesday night.

The Timberwolves had hoped to use the Atlanta Hawks as a partner in the deal, but the dysfunctional dynamic between the Hawks' ownership and front office caused the organization to forgo further discussion over the trade that would’ve brought Phoenix’s Amare Stoudemire to Atlanta. The Hawks would’ve sent a package of players and the third and 11th picks in Thursday’s draft to Minnesota.

A league source said on Wednesday morning that Wolves owner Glen Taylor had urged his vice president of basketball operations, Kevin McHale, to find a suitable deal for Garnett, who could opt of his contract after next season. After direct negotiations with the Los Angeles Lakers had fallen apart, the Hawks were the next hope to find a circumstance to make the trade possible. Deals with the Boston Celtics fell through earlier in the week when Garnett made it clear that he didn't want to play for Boston.

It remains unclear whether the doomed trade would spare Atlanta of an internal showdown about whom to draft with the No. 3 overall pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida's Al Horford, but a faction of the team's ownership group, with business interests in China, has been pushing for 7-foot Chinese forward Yi Jianlian.

There had been contact between Hawks guard Joe Johnson and Stoudemire on Wednesday, two sources close to the players said. Reportedly, Stoudemire had been accepting of the possible deal.

I didn't see this posted, but I saw the thread talking about the trade possibly going down. This was on Yahoo this morning.

Buddy Holly
06-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Um...

Spurs duh.

Spurs send 28, 33, 58, Scola, Beno, Butler, Pack of gum, Cheeseburger to Minny

Minny sends Garnett to Phoenix

Phoenix sends Amare to SA

SAGambler
06-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Now there is a big surprise.

How many people thought this deal would really ever get done?

Oh, Gee!!
I can see Amare in a Spurs jersey.

judaspriestess
Why doesn't this ownership group just outsource the Hawks to china like everything else, even damn Sara Lee is going to china :rolleyes

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Why doesn't this ownership group just outsource the Hawks to china like everything else, even damn Sara Lee is going to china :rolleyes

First international franchise....David Stern would be thrilled!

This is unbelievable. I'm laughing and crying at the same time...

MoSpur
06-28-2007, 09:53 AM
The Hawks organization is one of the worst.

SpursFanFirst
06-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Now there is a big surprise.

How many people thought this deal would really ever get done?

I was starting to think it would get done, but then again, I don't follow this stuff quite as much as a lot of people.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 10:22 AM
The Hawks organization is one of the worst.

Biggest Understatement of the Century!

And for clarification's sake...it is THE WORST organization in all of professional sports.

DDS4
06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
All these damn rumors and not ONE significant trade has happened.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 10:37 AM
All these damn rumors and not ONE significant trade has happened.

It's far too soon before the draft....wait until the mid-afternoon and there will be some action.

Oh, and during the draft, there will still be alot of players changing hands.

degenerate_gambler
06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh, and during the draft, there will still be alot of players changing hands.

I kind of doubt it. But if there are, they'll be lesser known players and not the marquee type.

tsb2000
06-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Um...

Spurs duh.

Spurs send 28, 33, 58, Scola, Beno, Butler, Pack of gum, Cheeseburger to Minny

Minny sends Garnett to Phoenix

Phoenix sends Amare to SA

Dude, Garnett is PAID. It would have to be a double cheeseburger, with fries! :lol

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 10:52 AM
It is funny as hell to watch the hawks now twice screw the suns..it happened on draft lottery night when the hawks got #3 pick and now the trade which every suns fan wants to happen and the hawks once again say "Ummm i dont think so". Watch the hawks will make the playoffs next year and suns pick for next year will not even be in the top 14.

CubanMustGo
06-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Hawks front office = idiots

Spurs fans = thankful

da_suns_fan__
06-28-2007, 10:56 AM
It is funny as hell to watch the hawks now twice screw the suns..it happened on draft lottery night when the hawks got #3 pick and now the trade which every suns fan wants to happen and the hawks once again say "Ummm i dont think so". Watch the hawks will make the playoffs next year and suns pick for next year will not even be in the top 14.

DUMBASS!

The Suns were never even involved with these trade talks. They have NO DESIRE to trade Amare for anyone in the league:

Garnett deal remains long shot
Trade for top-10 draft pick still could happen
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 27, 2007 11:28 PM

Now that every possible trade scenario has been exhausted in quick-trigger rumor reporting, the truth comes out today.

Suns center Amaré Stoudemire still is not going anywhere. It still is a long shot for Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett to wind up in Phoenix.

And if the Suns' hopes to trade into the top 10 of today's NBA draft don't improve, the most action fans might see today is the Suns picking at Nos. 24 and/or 29 and trying to move Kurt Thomas' expiring contract.

Even getting some luxury-tax relief by moving Thomas' deal, worth $8.1 million next season, is no sure thing.

But the hubbub sure got the NBA nation worked into a lather, particularly with ESPN's reports that three-team Garnett deals were in the works with Minnesota, Atlanta and Boston.

There seemed to be a lot of wishful thinking regarding Stoudemire's availability, which remained as unlikely Wednesday as when initial Garnett rumors surfaced last week.

Hawks star Joe Johnson even called Stoudemire, his former Suns teammate, to tell him he'd like to reunite after Hawks officials approached Johnson with a proposal that had Garnett coming to Phoenix, Stoudemire going to Atlanta and a pick, likely Atlanta's No. 3 overall selection, going to Minnesota.

The problem is it was a conversation that only Minnesota and Atlanta shared, although a Hawks owner claimed to veto the idea.

"We've never spoken with Atlanta about Amaré," Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said Wednesday night, when he also called Stoudemire to assure him all rumors were bogus. "We have no idea why anybody would speculate on that."

It was just as implausible that Stoudemire would go to Minnesota in a two-team Garnett deal, because two league sources said the Timberwolves did not want Stoudemire. They were interested in picks or salary-cap space.

It is clear that the Suns remained in Garnett talks, but the possibility of a deal always remained unlikely. Garnett is owed as much as $28.5 million next season if traded.

Phoenix was more intent and hopeful that it could find its way into the draft's top 10. It spent the week preparing for such a chance. Phoenix went to Chinese power forward Yi Jianlian's workout in Los Angeles on Monday and worked out Florida small forward Corey Brewer, Florida power forward Joakim Noah, Georgetown small forward Jeff Green, Florida State small forward Al Thornton and North Carolina power forward Brandan Wright over the past two days at US Airways Center.

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Dont be sad suns fan!!Maybe next year you guys will not have to face the spurs until the western finals and maybe (just maybe) you can take the spurs 7 before you guys start crying. Oh, and by the way you guys are the dumbass for thinking you could get Garnett for basement level price, DUMBASS..Please try again!!

da_suns_fan__
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Dont be sad suns fan!!Maybe next year you guys will not have to face the spurs until the western finals and maybe (just maybe) you can take the spurs 7 before you guys start crying. Oh, and by the way you guys are the dumbass for thinking you could get Garnett for basement level price, DUMBASS..Please try again!!

As long as our guys don't get suspended, they should win it all.

Rummpd
06-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Yawn to the Suns fans.

Just like game 5 when your supposed MVP, your Mr. Fade Marion, and your supposed 6th man of the year (what a joke Barbosa was for that) had a big lead and along with their over-rated coach choked it away - when fittingly Bruce Bowen slammed the door on the whiny Suns and their coach. Then in game 6 a full strength Suns team got hammered by the Spurs missing a key veteran.

With the internal dissention and all these trade rumors the Suns must be thinking internally - CAN WE PLEASE, PLEASE GET SOMETHING TO BEAT "OUR DADDY (look at Friggin lopsided to the Spurs 3 season the head to head record)" i.e. Mr. Duncan and THE SPURS and the answer is sadly no for you guys!

Lots more upcoming playoff misery ahead Suns fans!

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 11:10 AM
As long as our guys don't get suspended, they should win it all.

If I remember right (please help me out) I think the suns had their full roster for 3 of the 4 losses, right? Oh well, thats old news and next season actually begins tonight.

CubanMustGo
06-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Now don't be bothering Sun Fan with facts. They want to live in their little dream world where it's never their fault when they lose in the playoffs. God knows they've had enough experience to come up with some real doozies, too.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
So if the Suns were good enough to beat the Spurs, and if they actually believe that they just got screwed by the blood rule and the leaving the bench rule, then why the roster shakeup? If they want to get rid of Marion for financial reasons, then why work to try to add one of the highest paid players in the league?

PS We own you.

The Red Hood
06-28-2007, 12:50 PM
I was starting to think it would get done, but then again, I don't follow this stuff quite as much as a lot of people.

:lol Yeah your like me spursfan I was thinking it would go through just because all the so called analysis including the local sports reporters were saying that it is a guarantee that KG will not be in a Minny uniform next season then again I don't know much about trading and signing players and evidently the "sports analysis" don't know either :lol although it was a surprise to me that PHX was willing to give up a young good explosive player for a player that is not so young and not so explosive but I guess that is why PHX was trying not to put Amare in the deal and just Marion

The Red Hood
06-28-2007, 01:05 PM
So if the Suns were good enough to beat the Spurs, and if they actually believe that they just got screwed by the blood rule and the leaving the bench rule, then why the roster shakeup? If they want to get rid of Marion for financial reasons, then why work to try to add one of the highest paid players in the league?

PS We own you.

Exactly they were contradicting what they were bitching about in the playoffs it surprised me when they were willing to give up Marion for such a big name player I was even more surprised when they offered to trade Amare sorta throwing in the towel, waving the white flag so all the talk during the playoffs was just that all talk they obviously have come to realize that they just can't get past the Spurs unless they make a drastic change to the team

conqueso
06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
DUMBASS!

The Suns were never even involved with these trade talks. They have NO DESIRE to trade Amare for anyone in the league:

I don't trust your sources after that bullshit you pulled in the Garnett-Duncan thread. Go away, you don't know shit about basketball.

SpursFanFirst
06-28-2007, 01:18 PM
:lol Yeah your like me spursfan I was thinking it would go through just because all the so called analysis including the local sports reporters were saying that it is a guarantee that KG will not be in a Minny uniform next season then again I don't know much about trading and signing players and evidently the "sports analysis" don't know either :lol although it was a surprise to me that PHX was willing to give up a young good explosive player for a player that is not so young and not so explosive but I guess that is why PHX was trying not to put Amare in the deal and just Marion

With all the talk and pandemonium of the past few days, I half expected to see video of Garnett walking through the Minneapolis airport with his ticket stamped "Phoenix."
Oh well, whatever.

ShoogarBear
06-28-2007, 01:22 PM
DUMBASS!

The Suns were never even involved with these trade talks. They have NO DESIRE to trade Amare for anyone in the league:Riiiight. Like the Suns would ever admit they were trying to trade Amare before it actually happened.

SAGambler
06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
There is only one place that I actually see KG fitting in and putting himself in a postion to actually win a title......

And we all know the Spurs aren't paying his high dollar contract.

That aside, I certainly never could see how anyone could figure KG would fit in with the run n gun offense that Phoenix is in love with. It just never made any sense to me and that's one reason I was dubious about this "so called deal" ever going down.

Tyler Durden
06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
not a huge shocker

Clutch20
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Yawn to the Suns fans.

Just like game 5 when your supposed MVP, your Mr. Fade Marion, and your supposed 6th man of the year (what a joke Barbosa was for that) had a big lead and along with their over-rated coach choked it away - when fittingly Bruce Bowen slammed the door on the whiny Suns and their coach. Then in game 6 a full strength Suns team got hammered by the Spurs missing a key veteran.

With the internal dissention and all these trade rumors the Suns must be thinking internally - CAN WE PLEASE, PLEASE GET SOMETHING TO BEAT "OUR DADDY (look at Friggin lopsided to the Spurs 3 season the head to head record)" i.e. Mr. Duncan and THE SPURS and the answer is sadly no for you guys!

Lots more upcoming playoff misery ahead Suns fans!
I side with your take.
The thing I came up with was, for lack of finding a better description at the time, I saw the Suns as a Frankenstein, parts put together where it's total was less than the sum of it's parts.
But your take is more colorful and expressive!

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.