PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Game Plan: Spurs, GOOD recap

spurscenter
06-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Off-Season Game Plan: Spurs
Scott Cullen, tsn,ca

After winning annother championship, the San Antonio Spurs only need to tweak their lineup to be right back among the contenders next year.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at what the Spurs might do to get even better.

What's interesting about these Spurs is that, while they seemingly coasted to the NBA title, there are plenty of areas to improve.

They rotated a mish-mash of centres next to Tim Duncan in the post; not one of which was a capable NBA starting pivot.

Small forward Bruce Bowen is a one-dimensional defensive player and, while he's still a lockdown defender, the years could be starting to catch up to him.

The bench consists of aging warhorses like Robert Horry, Michael Finley and Brent Barry. While their experience is obviously of value to a team playing for a championship, the Spurs could use some younger legs to keep re-generating the rotation.

Of course, being an annual contender has its perks too. The Spurs can count on interest from any number of free agents -- really any of the ones that can be had for the midlevel exception or less.

Grant Hill, Morris Peterson or Desmond Mason would be some free agent wings that might fit into San Antonio's plans next season, while centres like Jamaal Magloire and Mikki Moore might be worth bargain shopping efforts.

Really, though, there's little concern that the Spurs will somehow mismanage the off-season to the point that they won't be contenders again next year.

As long as Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are back in full force, the Spurs can surround them with solid role players and be part of the title talk once again.

GM/COACH
R.C Buford/Gregg Popovich

Returning Centres
Player TSN.ca Rating Salary
Francisco Elson 58.45 $3.0M
Jackie Butler 56.87 $2.38M

Free Agent Centres
Player TSN.ca Rating Class
Melvin Ely 41.41 UFA
Fabricio Oberto 58.89 RFA

A cast of mediocre talents rotated through the middle for the Spurs last season.

Francisco Elson earned the most starts, but with 5.0 points and 4.8 rebounds per game, he's easily replaceable if a productive alternative could be acquired.

Fabricio Oberto was supposed to be the better alternative, but he's still a work in progress. He improved in his second season, but still has a ways to go before he's ready to handle a starter's role.

Brought in as a free agent signing, Jackie Butler was a bust, playing in only 11 games. He is just 22 and, based on what he did with the Knicks in 2005-2006, he could still have some interest around the league.

Returning Forwards
Tim Duncan 100.41 $19.01M
Robert Horry 48.90 $3.63M

Free Agent Forwards
Bruce Bowen 67.00 TO
Matt Bonner 48.05 RFA

Tim Duncan is so exceptionally consistent that he doesn't always get the credit he deserves. His .546 field goal percentage was his highest mark since his rookie season and there may not be a better all-around defender in the game. To nitpick, he hasn't hit 70% from the line in any of the last four seasons, so he could always improve that part of his game.

Defensive stopper Bruce Bowen plays in the grey areas of the rulebook, aggravating (and sometimes injuring) opponents, but his work on the wing is a big part of the Spurs' defensive style. With Bowen now 36 years of age, the Spurs could go for a young, athletic wing player to succeed Bowen.

Robert Horry has a minimal regular season impact, but his championship experience -- not to mention his penchant for nailing a clutch three -- is a nice asset to have coming off the bench.

All-around good guy Matt Bonner enjoyed more individual success in Toronto, but he earned a ring for his lighter workload in San Antonio. Bonner could still earn more minutes in San Antonio if he focuses on his defence and rebounding.

Argentinian forward Luis Scola, a second-round pick in 2002, could be a wildcard. Opinions vary back and forth on whether he will come over from Spain, where he's been playing since 1998, but Scola has experienced enough international success to think that he could be a solid addition to the Spurs.

Returning Guards
Tony Parker 93.66 $10.5M
Manu Ginobili 92.19 $9.08M
Brent Barry 65.56 $5.55M
James White 61.58 $427K
Beno Udrih 50.06 $1.75M

Free Agent Guards
Michael Finley 65.06 PO
Jacque Vaughn 46.89 UFA

Tony Parker's outstanding speed makes him one of the toughest match-ups at the point and, even though his shooting range is limited, his ability to penetrate time after time makes him an efficient offensive performer.

Despite coming off the bench more than he started, Manu Ginobili still scored a career-best 16.5 points per game; all the more remarkable because his 27.5 minutes per game was his lowest mark since his rookie campaign in 2002-2003.

Ginobili is obviously good enough to be a starter at off guard, but his offensive spark can add a different dimension with the second team on the floor. It's just a matter of having a solid starter in place.

35 year-old Brent Barry plays a reduced role in San Antonio, but his dead-eye three-point shooting (44.6% last season) makes him very valuable.

Michael Finley is starting to slow down, at 34, but he's still an effective bench player. He does have a player option for next season, so he could be tempted to opt out and sign one more free agent deal. On the other hand, with as much money as Finley has made in his career, maybe an opportunity to defend the title is worth staying in San Antonio.

High-flyer James White will have to keep improving if he's going to crack the rotation and Beno Udrih likely needs a change of scenery.

The big need here would be for a backup point guard to replace Jacque Vaughn, who could leave via free agency.

DRAFT
28th - Marc Gasol, Sean Williams, Jared Dudley

FREE AGENCY
The Spurs have approximately $65-million committed to salaries for next season
Needs: Centre

TRADE MARKET
Butler, Udrih, Barry

Scott Cullen can be reached at [email protected]

spursfaninla
06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Pimping your own article as good, are we?

YODA
06-28-2007, 12:51 PM

I thought he summed it up pretty good. heck, it was real good.

Yoda

Do it do not, there is no try :depressed

Clutch20
06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
At times aspects of the team were looked at with a microscope and those close inspections were revealing (interchangability of mediocre players)

Sometimes the team should have been looked at with a pair of binoculars(mediocre players that know their roles + Spurs system = balanced players)

Which is the target audience? Too rich for the casual fan (like me!)
Too speculative for the knowledgeable hoopshead.

I agree with the part that addresses the age factor for Bowen. But not in the author's way of thinking. I feel that Bruce's D will become more efficient if he shares his load with another younger version of himself, simply for continuity's sake, not necessarily a replacement move.

Did you ever think Finley would ever take to playing decent defense? Success has a way of motivating you to change your game. Scola has a rep., but ala Finley plus a patient staff with miles of game footage will eventually convince him to find his part in the system through team defense. Argentinians do accept team play when it's done right.

As to improving, all players will have to keep improving, not just the young players with potential.

The rest of the league will be gunning for the Spurs. It's atop the agenda for the first team meetings and planning sessions for the rest of the league. And the Cav's player's cell phones will be kept busy by other players calling in for tips.

And by December the Spurs will again be relegated to the requisite 2-sentence game recaps on at all the media websites, page 2.

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.

PM5K
06-28-2007, 01:27 PM

lol, what a loser...

Vito Corleone
06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I also think he did a good job, I still think our biggest need right now is the 3, we have an old guy and really nothing behind him. We have lots of bigs and lots of bigs in europe. We have 2 PGs under contract and we might be able to move Beno for a vet or a draft pick.

duncan228
06-28-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think the poster wrote it.

He doesn't put URLs to his articles so it's hard to tell. Kori's tried to tell him to several times.

There is a contact for the writer at the bottom of the article but I don't think it's the poster.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
I don't think the poster wrote it.

He doesn't put URLs to his articles so it's hard to tell. Kori's tried to tell him to several times.

There is a contact for the writer at the bottom of the article but I don't think it's the poster.

I don't think he wrote it either.

But now from this thread he should get a clue why he needs to put links when he posts articles.

wildchild
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Off-Season Game Plan: Spurs
Scott Cullen, tsn,ca

After winning annother championship, the San Antonio Spurs only need to tweak their lineup to be right back among the contenders next year.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at what the Spurs might do to get even better.

What's interesting about these Spurs is that, while they seemingly coasted to the NBA title, there are plenty of areas to improve.

They rotated a mish-mash of centres next to Tim Duncan in the post; not one of which was a capable NBA starting pivot.

Small forward Bruce Bowen is a one-dimensional defensive player and, while he's still a lockdown defender, the years could be starting to catch up to him.

The bench consists of aging warhorses like Robert Horry, Michael Finley and Brent Barry. While their experience is obviously of value to a team playing for a championship, the Spurs could use some younger legs to keep re-generating the rotation.

Of course, being an annual contender has its perks too. The Spurs can count on interest from any number of free agents -- really any of the ones that can be had for the midlevel exception or less.

Grant Hill, Morris Peterson or Desmond Mason would be some free agent wings that might fit into San Antonio's plans next season, while centres like Jamaal Magloire and Mikki Moore might be worth bargain shopping efforts.

Really, though, there's little concern that the Spurs will somehow mismanage the off-season to the point that they won't be contenders again next year.

As long as Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are back in full force, the Spurs can surround them with solid role players and be part of the title talk once again.

GM/COACH
R.C Buford/Gregg Popovich

Returning Centres
Francisco Elson 58.45 $3.0M
Jackie Butler 56.87 $2.38M

Free Agent Centres
Melvin Ely 41.41 UFA
Fabricio Oberto 58.89 RFA

A cast of mediocre talents rotated through the middle for the Spurs last season.

Francisco Elson earned the most starts, but with 5.0 points and 4.8 rebounds per game, he's easily replaceable if a productive alternative could be acquired.

Fabricio Oberto was supposed to be the better alternative, but he's still a work in progress. He improved in his second season, but still has a ways to go before he's ready to handle a starter's role.

Brought in as a free agent signing, Jackie Butler was a bust, playing in only 11 games. He is just 22 and, based on what he did with the Knicks in 2005-2006, he could still have some interest around the league.

Returning Forwards
Tim Duncan 100.41 $19.01M
Robert Horry 48.90 $3.63M

Free Agent Forwards
Bruce Bowen 67.00 TO
Matt Bonner 48.05 RFA

Tim Duncan is so exceptionally consistent that he doesn't always get the credit he deserves. His .546 field goal percentage was his highest mark since his rookie season and there may not be a better all-around defender in the game. To nitpick, he hasn't hit 70% from the line in any of the last four seasons, so he could always improve that part of his game.

Defensive stopper Bruce Bowen plays in the grey areas of the rulebook, aggravating (and sometimes injuring) opponents, but his work on the wing is a big part of the Spurs' defensive style. With Bowen now 36 years of age, the Spurs could go for a young, athletic wing player to succeed Bowen.

Robert Horry has a minimal regular season impact, but his championship experience -- not to mention his penchant for nailing a clutch three -- is a nice asset to have coming off the bench.

All-around good guy Matt Bonner enjoyed more individual success in Toronto, but he earned a ring for his lighter workload in San Antonio. Bonner could still earn more minutes in San Antonio if he focuses on his defence and rebounding.

Argentinian forward Luis Scola, a second-round pick in 2002, could be a wildcard. Opinions vary back and forth on whether he will come over from Spain, where he's been playing since 1998, but Scola has experienced enough international success to think that he could be a solid addition to the Spurs.

Returning Guards
Tony Parker 93.66 $10.5M
Manu Ginobili 92.19 $9.08M
Brent Barry 65.56 $5.55M
James White 61.58 $427K
Beno Udrih 50.06 $1.75M

Free Agent Guards
Michael Finley 65.06 PO
Jacque Vaughn 46.89 UFA

Tony Parker's outstanding speed makes him one of the toughest match-ups at the point and, even though his shooting range is limited, his ability to penetrate time after time makes him an efficient offensive performer.

Despite coming off the bench more than he started, Manu Ginobili still scored a career-best 16.5 points per game; all the more remarkable because his 27.5 minutes per game was his lowest mark since his rookie campaign in 2002-2003.

Ginobili is obviously good enough to be a starter at off guard, but his offensive spark can add a different dimension with the second team on the floor. It's just a matter of having a solid starter in place.

35 year-old Brent Barry plays a reduced role in San Antonio, but his dead-eye three-point shooting (44.6% last season) makes him very valuable.

Michael Finley is starting to slow down, at 34, but he's still an effective bench player. He does have a player option for next season, so he could be tempted to opt out and sign one more free agent deal. On the other hand, with as much money as Finley has made in his career, maybe an opportunity to defend the title is worth staying in San Antonio.

High-flyer James White will have to keep improving if he's going to crack the rotation and Beno Udrih likely needs a change of scenery.

The big need here would be for a backup point guard to replace Jacque Vaughn, who could leave via free agency.

DRAFT
28th - Marc Gasol, Sean Williams, Jared Dudley

FREE AGENCY
The Spurs have approximately $65-million committed to salaries for next season
Needs: Centre

TRADE MARKET
Butler, Udrih, Barry

Scott Cullen can be reached at [email protected]

Really the Spurs needs a stars center with Duncan in the paint?
I don't sure. Fab's to compliment well with Duncan.

I'm more interested in a guard if Beno leaves.

Vito Corleone
06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Beno is under contract, the only way he leaves is if he is traded or cut.

I doubt we cut him, too many teams still think he has value.

Real Tomato Ketchup
06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't think he wrote it either.

But now from this thread he should get a clue why he needs to put links when he posts articles.

Why?

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Why?

1. It misleads people into thinking he wrote it.
2. It's plagiarism to copy someone else's writing (which basically is what you are doing if you don't credit the writer).
3. There's copyright issues if you don't site a source where you got written material.
4. It's one of the very few rules of this forum and I have told the original poster about it multiple times.

Clutch20
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
link?

Clutch20
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=211976&hubname=

you're welcome...........

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
How can you not know how to post links and yet are going to open a site?

duncan228
06-28-2007, 02:37 PM
link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=211976&hubname=

you're welcome...........

Thank you.

duncan228
06-28-2007, 02:40 PM
How can you not know how to post links and yet are going to open a site?

Be afraid.

He seems to want to get information out with no regard to the legal or ethical aspects.

Kori's list is reason enough to educate him, maybe it will.

I also like the links so I can check out the site it came from. It gives me more to work with. :wakeup

Real Tomato Ketchup
06-28-2007, 02:44 PM
1. It misleads people into thinking he wrote it.
2. It's plagiarism to copy someone else's writing (which basically is what you are doing if you don't credit the writer).
3. There's copyright issues if you don't site a source where you got written material.
4. It's one of the very few rules of this forum and I have told the original poster about it multiple times.

Got it :toast

spurscenter
06-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Its amazing the amount of stupid shit that goes on here.

You guys have nothing better to do that to bitch and moan instead talk about the actual article he wrote.

I fucking put it right there, TSN.ca on the firs tline and his email adress.

STUPID ASS SHIT

KORI,make sure EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE puts a link to their articles

IF I DONT SEE YOU or your MARCUZ BRYANT harrass the person for not putting a link on every fucking article then you are just nit pikcing.

BUNCH of bullshit.

ITS SO FUCKING STUPID. seriously.

If I wrote it, I would say I did, IT HAS A BYLINE and emil of the writer

FOR GOD SAKES, IS IT THE LACK of COMMON SENSE that overtakes those that cant distinguish the fact that its an article from the net.

99.999999999 percent of the FUCKING artciles and shit posted on this forum, SPURSREPORT, and MANY OTHERS are from other sites.

ARE YOU FUCKING kidding me?

fuck this shit, this is why this shit never ever will take over spursreport because it keeps trying to limit the information and attack fellow spurs fan for NO OTHER REASON that to be dicks.

spurscenter
06-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Be afraid.

He seems to want to get information out with no regard to the legal or ethical aspects.

Kori's list is reason enough to educate him, maybe it will.

I also like the links so I can check out the site it came from. It gives me more to work with. :wakeup

T Park
06-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah were not even close to that "other" site :lmao

Go away.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
99.999999999 percent of the FUCKING artciles and shit posted on this forum, SPURSREPORT, and MANY OTHERS are from other sites.

Exactly. And they have links.

fuck this shit, this is why this shit never ever will take over spursreport because it keeps trying to limit the information and attack fellow spurs fan for NO OTHER REASON that to be dicks.

No one is trying to limit information.

This site passed up SpursReport in traffic and knowledge years ago.

Dirk Nowitzki
06-28-2007, 03:03 PM
:clap :clap :clap

duncan228
06-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Didn't you "leave" and go to Spursreport and come back here saying they were "fucked up?"

There's very few rules here.
Follow them or leave.

Be careful if you do this on your site. There's actual legal trouble that goes with it.

Grow up.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey, it's a free internets. Fill up your own forum with material from other media outlets without attribution to your heart's content. I do hope for your sake that you have retained quality counsel.

Also, I'm not sure how having to post a url is some great limit to the 'flow of information' to Spurs fans.

What a weird, lazy bastard.

coopdogg3
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Its amazing the amount of stupid shit that goes on here.

You guys have nothing better to do that to bitch and moan instead talk about the actual article he wrote.

I fucking put it right there, TSN.ca on the firs tline and his email adress.

STUPID ASS SHIT

KORI,make sure EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE puts a link to their articles

IF I DONT SEE YOU or your MARCUZ BRYANT harrass the person for not putting a link on every fucking article then you are just nit pikcing.

BUNCH of bullshit.

ITS SO FUCKING STUPID. seriously.

If I wrote it, I would say I did, IT HAS A BYLINE and emil of the writer

FOR GOD SAKES, IS IT THE LACK of COMMON SENSE that overtakes those that cant distinguish the fact that its an article from the net.

ARE YOU FUCKING kidding me?

Wow, dude, could you be a bigger douche? It's not hard to link the article. It's insanely easy. Almost too easy I guess. All you're asked to do is give a link. A link. Not just where it's from, who wrote it, the e-mail address of the author - that's all well and good. You need to LINK the article.

I can't understand why you refuse to learn this insanely elementary rule. It's just basic courtesy if you want to ignore the legal ramifications. Quit your whining/griping/moaning, and just link your articles.

spursfaninla
06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Take over spurs report?

why would anyone want to overtake them?

I didn't really think you wrote it, but from the post its unclear what the connection between your "anonymous" handle and the writer in fact is, and your pimping of it made for fun. This thread certainly got your dander up. Its not that hard to just do it right...

The article itself was not much new but it covered the bases adequately. I think the sf and pg positions are pretty obviously the areas to address. Not good but adequate I would say, perhaps a good primer for the less-than-informed Spurs fan, but even a moderately informed fan wouldn't get much out of it.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Funniest line of thread ...

I didn't know that I owned Marcus Bryant! :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Funniest line of thread ...

I didn't know that I owned Marcus Bryant! :lol

Woof.

Marcuz Bryant
06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes Kori, what do you need Kori?

coopdogg3
06-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes Kori, what do you need Kori?

She could use a link, from what I'm told.

Marcuz Bryant
06-28-2007, 03:18 PM
I guess I'll have to use this handle from here on.

-MzB

MadDog73
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
LOL.

Anyway, besides Spursreport's attitude, this line pissed me off:

What kind of shit is that? How many players has Bruce injured througout his entire career?

Is it greater than the league average of defensive players?

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 03:41 PM
LOL.

Anyway, besides Spursreport's attitude, this line pissed me off:

What kind of shit is that? How many players has Bruce injured througout his entire career?

Is it greater than the league average of defensive players?

:lol They blame a bunch of injuries on Bruce that he wasn't even involved in. For example, remember when Radmanovic got injured in the 2005 playoff series against the Sonics? This season (2 years later) when writers were writing about it, they blamed that on Bruce. :lol Radmanovic really fell over Beno. Bruce wasn't even in the play.

So, I guess if people just re-write history, then Bruce probably has injured a lot of people. :lol

michaelwcho
06-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I wonder if they could do a semi-scientific study on how many people Bruce has "injured". How would you even conduct it?

Clutch20
06-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Canadians seem to do ok on the hardwoods but it sounds like some suck working behind a keyboard.