PDA

View Full Version : Dunn Bros. Coffee

Shelly
06-28-2007, 02:36 PM
is now open for bidness. Why, just yesterday I drove by it and wondered when it was finally gonna be open. It's at Bandera/Mystic Park (or is the street name different once you cross Bandera? I never paid attention). I wonder how it will do with 5 Starbucks nearby.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA062807.02E.NewtoMktDunnBros0628.2b34587.html

Web Posted: 06/27/2007 08:00 PM CDT

Adolfo Pesquera
Express-News business writer

"Roaster" Bob Vaseleski spent a few days last week away from his Minneapolis home to break in the Diedrich roaster and to train the crew at Dunn Bros. Coffee on the art of roasting beans.
The coffeehouse at 8806 Bandera Road opens today, introducing San Antonians to a variety of java-brewing choices not before seen. The shop stocks 15 varieties of fresh coffee beans from around the world. Dunn Bros.' emphasis is on freshness and its roasting recipes.

advertisement

"We offer Full City, Vienna and French roasted coffees," said Mark Tapp, the franchisee owner. "Most restaurants use only French, which is the darkest."

The typical Dunn Bros. shop — there are about 100 nationwide — uses an 8-pound-capacity roaster. San Antonio's location is unusual in that Tapp has an agreement with the 20-year-old, Minneapolis-based franchiser to use a 25-pound-capacity roaster. The idea is to roast enough coffee to not just to meet demand at the retail location, but also to distribute to area "white tablecloth" restaurants, Tapp said.

"Roaster" Bob, a master roaster well-known in Minneapolis, prepared the local management to handle the beans the Dunn Bros. way. Among other things, that means making sure a roasted bean is sold within three days.

"Coffee is an aromatic product," Vaseleski said. "It has a halo of CO2 gas being dispelled in the first two weeks. After that, the internal pressure is at equilibrium and oxygen enters. It starts to go stale."

Well, that just won't do.

In addition to a strong plain brew, espresso, latte or macchiato, Tapp's shop offers free Wi-Fi and he plans to book live jazz acts for Friday and Saturday evenings. Customers can request their own roasted blends to go in half-pound, 1-pound and 5-pound bags.

And for those interested in developing a more educated palate, Vaseleski offers this suggestion:

"To identify the origin of a coffee bean, it needs to be roasted rather lightly. The darker the roast, the more all the flavors blend into one."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

MoSpur
06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Do they have frappuchinos (spelled right)?

Shelly
06-28-2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.dunnbros.com/weknowbeans/coffee_menu.asp

Flea
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Why do they have to be waaaaay over there?

Shelly
06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Cuz it's by myyyyyyyy house!!!!

:)

Now, I just have to remember it's there!

shelshor
06-28-2007, 08:09 PM
If you've never had coffee fresh from the roaster, don't worry: you won't forget it's there

Cant_Be_Faded
06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
The Dunn Brothers are the only thing that get me through the day. That and my morning bong hit regiment.

AnkleBreaker21
06-28-2007, 09:07 PM
coffee is freakin nasty