PDA

View Full Version : Spurs make strange picks - so what's new?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-28-2007, 11:21 PM
It seems like a lot of people are bemused, disappointed and even shattered by the Spurs' latest draft shenanigans. Why? This is business as usual for our team. When was the last time we drafted a player and thought "this guy will make an immediate impact"? It would have to be Parker right? But he's about the only example i can think of.

Doing the exact opposite of what the fanbase wants and the world expects is the Spurs' MO on draft day. We don't call him CIA Pop for nothing.

So, we drafted a big man prospect (one of the best in Europe, so I'm told), an athletic SF with a bad attitude who will no doubt be treated much like SJax in 2002, and a swingman who can shoot the lights out that nobody has ever heard of... that's EXACTLY what I expected of the Spurs! I expected to be all :wtf , that way it's not such a disappointment.

Wonder why everyone passed on Dowdell?

Also, does this mean we are committed to more Vaughn as the backup, or will we sign an FA? Vaughn was pretty solid in the playoffs (after the first round), but I'd like to have a stronger backup for Tony who doesn't make my butt pucker every time he takes a jumper...

Moral of the story - draft day is rarely fun for Spurs fans. Get used to it.

I'm out.

:fro

K-State Spur
06-28-2007, 11:23 PM
What's that strange about it?

We took a guy who was projected to the lottery at #28.
We took a guy who some analysts had in the low 30s at #32.
And at #58, it's a crapshoot anyways.

Not saying that it was the best draft ever. But wasn't mind-boggling either...

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Not taking a PG was interesting.

I wonder if that means the Spurs are sticking with Beno.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Beno must die...

leemajors
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM

hopefully miles does well in summer league.

BeerIsGood!
06-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I think the drafting flood of SF shows that the Spurs aren't too high on James White being a legit SF for the future.

I hope a PG is coming in FA because Beno is just a waste of a roster spot at this time. That said, I think it was a productive draft given what was there to work with. My only question is Williams - either he worked out like a demon for the Spurs or they know something we don't.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 11:29 PM
hopefully miles does well in summer league.

I talked to him the other day and he said that he doesn't think he's coming to Spurs summer league.

He was trying to get invited the the Bucks summer league team.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2007, 11:30 PM

Maybe they are going to throw some money at a free agent point guard?

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Maybe they're just really sold on Vaughn....no....I'm serious....stop laughing!

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 11:32 PM
I guess Scola could get turned into a backup PG....Duhon for Scola?

ChumpDumper
We should just invite Cheyne Gadson now since we bought his team.

ploto
I think his declining to play on his national team indicated this as a real possibility.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Beno gets a free trip to Vegas next week.

T Park
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
I stick by my statement.

If they go with beno udrih for one more fucking year, im giving up my tickets.

This lazy ass attitude, i've fucking had enough.

Brutalis
06-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Udrih won't be around next season, don't worry..

K-State Spur
06-28-2007, 11:44 PM
I stick by my statement.

Dude, I agree with your sentiment, but after the 2005 finals, shouldn't you avoid ultimatums on a message board?

K-State Spur
06-28-2007, 11:45 PM
I think the drafting flood of SF shows that the Spurs aren't too high on James White being a legit SF for the future.

Not necessarily that so much as maybe they just aren't comfortable with him being the only option without competition going into next year's camp.

SequSpur
06-28-2007, 11:45 PM
vaughn and beno are almost as shitty as anthony carter.

if there was a pg available, they should've drafted them....

this is another shitter of a splitter draft. typical pop bs.

michaelwcho
06-28-2007, 11:46 PM
I stick by my statement.

I must be missing something here..? The existence of Beno Udrih is so horrible that it trumps winning championships.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Just when you think Tpark can't get any dumber.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
So, you will give away your tickets? Because I'm sure you already paid for them for next season, right?

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
I stick by my statement.

Lower level?

PM me before you actually do that. I could make it worthwhile.

Despot
06-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I thought that new guy from Houston was supposed to be a trade guru.

Mr. Peabody
06-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I thought that new guy from Houston was supposed to be a trade guru.

He is. We traded Printezis for a second round pick next year.

Money316
06-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I guess Scola could get turned into a backup PG
For a while I took you literally.

:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

mattyc
06-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm not concerned at all. We can wait for Tiago and Williams is a good risk.

We still have guys like Mahinmi, Sanikidze, Javtokas and Scola on the books.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Maybe they're just really sold on Vaughn....no....I'm serious....stop laughing!

That's what I was thinking too... :oops

I thought the strangest thing was not picking a point. Maybe they figure that points take 3-5 years to mature in the NBA, and we want to win now, so drafting a point is counterproductive?

As for you T park, do you think anyone believes you will give up your tickets if that happens? :lol

BTW, reason I started this thread is the number of people in other threads behaving like it's doom and gloom because we didn't draft any immediate help. My point - WE RARELY DO. Besides, we have the best TEAM in the NBA, and teams win trophies, so as long as we keep things intact and make a tweak here and there we should be fine.

The next big question is what happens to Beno, Barry and Scola. They seem to be the odd men out at the moment...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Oh, and I'd trade Scola for Duhon in a second.

spurster
06-29-2007, 11:13 AM
I thought Vaughn overall was mediocre, but not bad. It seems to take two years for players to fully integrate into the Spurs system and Vaughn did enough for the Spurs so he didn't cost them a title. He started playing well toward the end of the season, but was often a liability in the playoffs. I think he will be fine in his second year on the Spurs.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 11:19 AM
There's a very real possibility they go with Udrih another year. I can see that happening without a doubt. They'll Udrih-Vaughn it for one more year.

That Zabian Dowdell dropped out of the draft is unfortunate for his side, but no one should read too much into it in regards to red flags or character issues or massive flaws in his game. This is the same guy people had projected in the early part of the second round to mid-round. Nothing's changed - there just weren't any point guards taken after a certain point. Of Shakur, Brown, and Dowdell, Zabian is the best prospect.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-29-2007, 11:32 AM

or maybe making a trade for another NBA's mid-age PG

mountainballer
06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
There's a very real possibility they go with Udrih another year. I can see that happening without a doubt. They'll Udrih-Vaughn it for one more year.

That Zabian Dowdell dropped out of the draft is unfortunate for his side, but no one should read too much into it in regards to red flags or character issues or massive flaws in his game. This is the same guy people had projected in the early part of the second round to mid-round. Nothing's changed - there just weren't any point guards taken after a certain point. Of Shakur, Brown, and Dowdell, Zabian is the best prospect.

right. Sessions also almost went undrafted. and most mocks had him even higher than Dowdell. (Bucks got a steal in him IMO)

mardigan
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Should have just bought Fernandez or Kopponen

mountainballer
06-29-2007, 11:56 AM

I think the Suns would have never sold him to us.

coopdogg3
06-29-2007, 12:03 PM

No way the Suns would sell us players.

mardigan
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Why not, we gave them Barbosa

And the Suns didnt draft Koponen