PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Go International (includes quotes from RC about Splitter)

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 12:20 AM
http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=ca4a3075-d2cf-4aea-8d5e-3a8f0e3b01f8

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The San Antonio Spurs added to their international influence Thursday by selecting Tiago Splitter, a 7-foot forward from Brazil, in the first round of the NBA Draft.

The Spurs won their fourth NBA title in nine years with five foreign-born players on their roster, including finals MVP Tony Parker, who was born in Belgium.

Splitter, 22, currently is playing with Tau Ceramica in Spain. He was taken with the 28th overall selection -- three picks before the end of the first round. Splitter is expected to stay in Spain at least another year before a possible roster spot in San Antonio.

Just five picks later, with the 33rd overall selection and the third in the second round, the Spurs took Marcus Williams, a 6-7 small forward from Arizona. The Spurs received the pick in a trade last year with Milwaukee.

Williams, 20, left Arizona after his sophomore season, when he ranked fourth in the Pac-10 in scoring with a 16.6 points-per-game average.

Splitter played 20 games in the 2006-07 Euroleague and averaged 10.7 points per game and six rebounds per game.

But it may be a while before he plays in this country. If the Spurs wanted him to play in the upcoming NBA season, they would have to buy out his contract with the Tau Ceramica club.

"It's a difficult issue," San Antonio general manager R.C. Buford said. "I don't know that anyone is going to help us right away. Our roster, I hope, is going to remain relatively intact.

"I'm not sure how (Splitter) fits in this year, but in the future he could. He was on the national team in Brazil since he was 16 years old. You don't have an opportunity to get size like that who played at that level all his life."

The Spurs currently have five players drafted in previous years that continue to play in Europe. They have rights to those players if they want to play in the NBA.

When they drafted Manu Ginobili in the second round of the 1999 draft, he remained in the Italian League for three more seasons before joining the Spurs.

The Spurs finished the night by trading Giorgos Printezis, a 6-8 forward from Greece. The Spurs drafted him with the 58th pick but announced they will trade him to Toronto for a second-round choice next year.

Earlier this month the Spurs won their fourth NBA title in the past nine years. They defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers in a four-game sweep in the finals.

The Spurs have looked sporadically to the draft to build their team in recent years. Since selecting Tim Duncan with the top overall selection in 1997, the team has selected nine players and traded away 11 others.

Two of the nine players were Parker and Manu Ginobili.

The last two times the Spurs had a pick in the first round it also came with foreign-born players at the 28th selection. Two years ago, San Antonio used the 28th selection on Ian Mahinmi, then an 18-year-old from France.

A year earlier the Spurs picked Beno Udrih out of Slovenia. Udrih immediately made the roster and played in 80 of the 82 games during the 2004-05 season.

Mahinmi, now 20, has been kept by the Spurs in France, where he played in the French League All-Star game. He saw action for the Spurs rookie league team in this summer last year but won't play this year because he recently tore his right pectoralis minor and strained the latissimus dorsi muscle.

The three selections the Spurs had this year is the most since 2004 when they picked four players. The only one to see playing time is Udrih, a backup point guard.

Both picks were traded last year.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 01:44 AM
An underwhelming draft overall, I'd say.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2007, 01:45 AM
:lol What would have whelmed you?

We picked two players. I was surprised.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Nah. It was an okay draft. I wonder at passing on who was still on the board at both picks, but whatever. But you're surprised. I'm glad you're surprised. Brilliant.

If we can bring Dowdell in and try him out, that'd be great. What I wanted most was a back-up point and when it was obvious to watch him drop I thought we could pull him at 58. But letting him slide through and negotiating after (maybe) is a good idea.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2007, 01:51 AM
Nah. It was an okay draft. I wonder at passing on who was still on the board at both picks, but whatever. But you're surprised. I'm glad you're surprised. Brilliant.You'll be like this for months.
:toast

jag
06-29-2007, 01:54 AM
Nah. It was an okay draft. I wonder at passing on who was still on the board at both picks, but whatever. But you're surprised. I'm glad you're surprised. Brilliant.

If we can bring Dowdell in and try him out, that'd be great. What I wanted most was a back-up point and when it was obvious to watch him drop I thought we could pull him at 58. But letting him slide through and negotiating after (maybe) is a good idea.

I really wanted a guard as well i wanted them to try and get koponen with 33, or maybe jared jordan with the 58...shit doesnt always work out.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 01:55 AM
No, it doesn't. I wonder what the plan is here. Dowdell is still the guy the Spurs brought in twice, along with Pruitt and perhaps a couple other points. I'm sure they're contacting him now.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 02:08 AM
I agree with aaron, the immaturity has gone a little overboard lately. Step up.

aaronstampler
06-29-2007, 02:08 AM
It's not that you think they're any less of a spurs fan. You just get tired of seeing the same people bitch about everything. We just won a title and i see people saying that our front office is shit. It's just people whining and bitching, and it gets old.

I don't understand the FO myself. It's like ever since Beno went bust, they've completely given up on the idea of a guy under 25 playing for us except in garbage time. Drafting a backup point wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world.

We draft a 6'7 guy from Arizona and the ESPN guy says his weaknesses are defense and 3 point shooting. So WTF are we doing drafting him then?

Oh well, I can spend the next 3 months hoping for Chapu and Pepe.

jag
06-29-2007, 02:11 AM
I don't understand the FO myself. It's like ever since Beno went bust, they've completely given up on the idea of a guy under 25 playing for us except in garbage time. Drafting a backup point wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world.

We draft a 6'7 guy from Arizona and the ESPN guy says his weaknesses are defense and 3 point shooting. So WTF are we doing drafting him then?

Oh well, I can spend the next 3 months hoping for Chapu and Pepe.

I think they understand that this team we have now can still win for a few more years. They want to try and develop more talent(whether it be overseas, or in the NBDL) while the current team tries to win. there's no need to bring in a bunch of unproven guys just because they are young.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 02:14 AM
I think they understand that this team we have now can still win for a few more years. They want to try and develop more talent(whether it be overseas, or in the NBDL) while the current team tries to win. there's no need to bring in a bunch of unproven guys just because they are young.

I think that's exactly their philosophy. They don't think it's bad to be the oldest team in the league if the team is still producing/winning, and they have younger players waiting in the wings in Austin or abroad.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:16 AM
If you can switch out Beno and barry and get back a bit younger more athletic players at those positions, then the team might be ok.

Im just afraid they are taking the 99 approach to everything.

jag
06-29-2007, 02:18 AM
If you can switch out Beno and barry and get back a bit younger more athletic players at those positions, then the team might be ok.

The 99 team might have actually been better. What you dont realize is that the Lakers were also better.

The team IS "ok" right now. The offseason isnt over yet, let it play out and we'll see. The same things were being said when we couldnt find a "worthwhile" center last year.

exstatic
06-29-2007, 07:27 AM

Well, that might be a valid analogy if Manu develops kidney disease and can't play next year, and Tony ages 10 years overnight.

ArgSpursFan
06-29-2007, 08:26 AM
But it may be a while before he plays in this country. If the Spurs wanted him to play in the upcoming NBA season, they would have to buy out his contract with the Tau Ceramica club.

Here we go again. :lol

Rustyman
06-29-2007, 08:39 AM

This is why I cannot understand the moaning by some Spurs supporters. The FO has a strategy, it wants to win now and win in the future and where the Spurs are likely to draft, you are not very likely to find someone that is going to help you win now. This is a sound strategy that should keep the Spurs contending once TD and Manu are finished and the picks taken now and in the next few years mature into real players.

This is an example of an organization which has followed a clear direction over the past 5 years which in turn has delivered 3 championships while still building for the future. I wish my Bobcats team had a similar vision!

ArgSpursFan
06-29-2007, 08:43 AM
This is an example of an organization which has followed a clear direction over the past 5 years which in turn has delivered 3 championships while still building for the future. I wish my Bobcats team had a similar vision!

they already started when they signed Herrmann. :tu
Look at his numbers in the second part of the season.

MoSpur
06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
It wasn't exciting as far as being a fan because they could have drafted the two players I wanted them to draft in Byars and Dowdell, but it didn't happen. They have done a good job the last 10 years or so and I think the Spurs will be just fine.

smeagol
06-29-2007, 08:52 AM
they already started when they signed Herrmann. :tu
Look at his numbers in the second part of the season.
I love all things Argentine too :lol

ArgSpursFan
06-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I´m just talking facts.No love involved.

ArgSpursFan
06-29-2007, 09:17 AM
who's aaron ?

Carter.know him?

L.I.T
06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Would I like to see some young talent on the Spurs right now? Of course, who wouldn't, but they don't need it to be successful. When I step back and look at what the Spurs have done the last few years, including this year, I actually admire it.

In essence, they attempting to do what no other franchise (in any sport really) has been able to do: have their cake and eat it to. In the NBA they are fielding an obviously superior product, built on experience, chemistry and a fundamentally sound system. They are focused on winning.

Then they utilize the draft and to snag developing talent overseas. Now with the acquisition of the Toros the Spurs are beginning to put together a bona fide talent development and feeder system (at least I'm hoping).

I think SRJ made this point in another thread, when you look at other winning franchises over the last couple of decades, those teams had a dramatic fall-off in competitiveness once their run was over. They had to blow-up their team and start from the ground up. Witness the Bulls and Lakers. The Spurs FO seems to be trying to balance winning now and winning in the future.

K-State Spur
06-29-2007, 10:05 AM
If you add too much youth to the roster and try to rebuild on the fly and win a championship at the same time, you'll very likely accomplish neither.