PDA

View Full Version : Eragon

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2007, 01:02 AM
I just finished watching the movie and all I can say is... WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!

Epic fantasy movies need kick ass likeable leading characters, and in this movie, the kid playing Eragon comes across as a little winy bitch. I thought the acting was alright, Malkovich was decent, Irons his usual, but the Speleers kid is just not the man for the part. I'm not saying he can't act, just that he can't possibly play the part of a fantasy epic heroe.

On top of this, its one and a half hours short... WTF? the book is about as long as any one of the LOTR books, and theres definitely enough for a 3 hour movie. They crammed too much shit into too little time.

I have to say I'm thoroughly dissapointed with this movie. I thought it would at least be entertaining.

Trainwreck2100
06-29-2007, 02:07 AM
I just finished watching the movie and all I can say is... WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!

Epic fantasy movies need kick ass likeable leading characters, and in this movie, the kid playing Eragon comes across as a little winy bitch. I thought the acting was alright, Malkovich was decent, Irons his usual, but the Speleers kid is just not the man for the part. I'm not saying he can't act, just that he can't possibly play the part of a fantasy epic heroe.

On top of this, its one and a half hours short... WTF? the book is about as long as any one of the LOTR books, and theres definitely enough for a 3 hour movie. They crammed too much shit into too little time.

I have to say I'm thoroughly dissapointed with this movie. I thought it would at least be entertaining.

Don't forget Avril Lavigne in the credits, and I was pissed when they dropped the hole "how the Dragon gets named" part. It was something that was integral later when the guy gets offed, and they skipped it, not to mention, the other main character who is in it for maybe 20 minutes, and he is an integral character, plus they completely cut out the dwarves.

AnkleBreaker21
06-29-2007, 03:16 AM
damn it looked good to, i was just about to rent it

Avitus1
06-29-2007, 05:00 AM
They just made this movie because they were trying to get people in the theater during the Christmas season. There are no LOTR movies or Potter movies coming out during the holiday season. So they just grabbed another fantasy/magic thing and made it as quickly as they could just to try to fill the void and get people to spend money. This movie might of been good if they actually were true to the source material but I dont think that was the main motivation at all.

Ginofan
06-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Read the books and loved them Rented the movie and turned it off after about 30 minutes. Terrible movie.

leemajors
06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
it's like a 13 year old came up with the story...

dallaskd
06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
what is it?

mardigan
06-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I just watched The Fountain, still dont know how I feel about it

Eregon looked like some cheap ass Harry Potter imitation, you could tell it was gona suck

atxrocker
06-29-2007, 04:56 PM

wasn't it some under 20 year old who wrote it?

L.I.T
06-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Bad book, worse movies. Star Wars rip-off...think about it.

Avitus1
06-30-2007, 02:54 AM
I just watched The Fountain, still dont know how I feel about it

I watched The Fountain. I got the deeper meaning of the story and that was nice but all that crap to get to the main point of the movie just leaves you disappointed. I never felt like I connected with any of the characters and thats the let down of the movie for me.

Gerryatrics
06-30-2007, 07:09 AM

:lmao

MannyIsGod
06-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Bad book, worse movies. Star Wars rip-off...think about it.I saw the movie and I didn't really like it, but I'm sick of people saying stuff like this. Just becaure 2 storylines are simmilar it doesn't mean that one was a rip off. You think Star Wars was the first to come up with that particular story line?

Its like whenever there is a movie where a guy sacrafices himself it automatically becauses a Jesus movie. The Matrix wasn't about Jesus. Donnie Darko wasn't about Jesus. Yet its the same BS every time.

L.I.T
06-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I saw the movie and I didn't really like it, but I'm sick of people saying stuff like this. Just becaure 2 storylines are simmilar it doesn't mean that one was a rip off. You think Star Wars was the first to come up with that particular story line?

Its like whenever there is a movie where a guy sacrafices himself it automatically becauses a Jesus movie. The Matrix wasn't about Jesus. Donnie Darko wasn't about Jesus. Yet its the same BS every time.

Star Wars based on the works of Joseph Campbell and movies of Kurosawa...so no I don't think Star Wars was the first to come up with that particular storyline. It was just the first to make it mainstream.

I never said anything about the Matrix or Donnie Darko. The Matrix though, pulls inspiration from classic anime and hard sci-fi novels. Again, it just brought those concepts to the mainstream.

The reason why I brought up the comparison of Eragon and Star Wars is the obviousness of it:

1. Evil emperor who pretends to be good, then overthrows republic: Check.
2. Evil henchman who breathes funny and has mystical powers: Check.
3. Young princess fleeing said evil henchman and is able to deliver message before being captured: Check.
4. Young rural headstrong impetuous boy who has great destiny: Check.
5. Old grizzly dude with unknown powers who befriends Young rural headstrong impetuous boy with great destiny and teaches him powers: Check.
6. Old grizzly dude dies: Check.
7. Mysterious rogue who helps said young rural boy: Check.

I can continue, but I think I'm getting repetitive. Granted, I'll give you the whole romance angle between the princess and rural boy wasn't in Star Wars...oh wait yes it was (back when the first movies was called Star Wars and not The New Hope).

It was an uninspired, crappy rip-off of better movies.

Just for kicks a visual representation:

SW:

http://homepage.mac.com/eliw/starwars/swpics/dreamer.jpg

Eragon:

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/9308/eragon14largeih7.jpg

And just to show I'm as unoriginal as the movie:

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/e/eragon.html

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eragon/

BacktoBasics
06-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Owned

MaNuMaNiAc
06-30-2007, 12:59 PM
And just to show I'm as unoriginal as the movie:

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/e/eragon.html

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eragon/:lol so true. Not the Star Wars part, although it does bear enormous resemblance, but the fact that all throughout the movie you want Eragon to get his ass kicked for being a winy brat. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2007, 01:46 PM
The Fountain was fucking bad ass and deserves ten >'s when placed before the word "eragon"

I rented Eragon and was pretty dissapointed but a little panama red helped that out....the main guy was a shitty actor but malkovich and irons saved it....i doubt they make part 2 and 3 cuz this one was just bad. Havent read the books but the plot did seem really rushed.

mookie2001
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Epic fantasy movies need kick ass likeable leading charactersROFL

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2007, 01:52 PM
epic fantasy movies fucking rule

mookie just likes to jack it to time travelling epic movies.

mookie2001
06-30-2007, 02:16 PM
did you ever see clerks 2 when whatshisname scoffs lord of rings so hard that guy throws up?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2007, 05:41 PM
yeah you and pego made me watch it and after the tenth time i said "this movie suuuuuuuuucks" ya'll finally turned that crap off

LOTR is overrated but the cinemeatography and scenery is as good as any movie to date. The dude on clerks had a great point cuz hardcore geeks compare it to Star Wars which is really retarded. It's not even close to the same level as SW. But its still good.

I gaurantee you if a shitty delorean time travelling machine was in LOTR you'd blow your top every time it came on TV.