PDA

View Full Version : Tiago quotes on ESPN Brazil

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2007, 04:52 AM
"Fui escolhido por uma grande equipe, atual campeã da NBA. Há muitos estrangeiros no time e minha adaptação deve ser mais fácil também pelo esquema de jogo e como a equipe vê o basquete", declarou o brasileiro em entrevista à ESPN Brasil.

O atleta brasileiro, no entanto, acha que vai ser utilizado já na próxima temporada. "Eles ligaram para os meus agentes nos últimos dias querendo saber sobre a minha situação. Só falta mesmo acertar os últimos detalhes para que eu viaje para lá", disse.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/interna/0,,OI1722101-EI1887,00.html

The Spurs are the NBA Champions and a great team I'm happy they drafted me. There are a lot of international players on the team and it'll make easy for me to adapt. My style alto fit with the Spurs game.
He said the Spurs and his agent are talking and he may play for the Spurs next season. He plans to travel to San Antonio soon

leonarth
06-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the link

Admidave50
06-29-2007, 07:11 AM
It would be nice if he could play for the Spurs next season

exstatic
06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
If his buyout is $1M like some rumors have it, SA could kick in 500K, and his first year salary would cover the rest and leave him a few hundred K to live on. I'm thinking he stays at Tau another year and clears his contract.

planaria
06-29-2007, 08:09 AM
^Ups...the US$ 1 million buyout is for the 2008/09 season. He´s under contract for the next season without a buyout clausule.

If he want to play in the NBA next season, he´ll have to pay more than 1 million dollars.

Solid D
06-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Splitter is a bigger inside player than Elson.

http://www.eurobasket.com/AcPhotos_Players/1Splitter_Tiago.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/4a/fullj.getty-74165828ab125_nba_finals_10_02_23_pm.jpg

Gros Membres!
06-29-2007, 08:16 AM
The shots are from different angles and Splitter is zoomed while Elson is not. Not sure what you're getting at with the "bigger" comment.

planaria
06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
And he actually knows to play inside.

Elson shots the ball better, though.

Solid D
06-29-2007, 08:23 AM
The shots are from different angles and Splitter is zoomed while Elson is not. Not sure what you're getting at with the "bigger" comment.

Elson's base is narrow and he can get pushed out of position with leg-leverage. Splitter has a bigger, stronger base. When you watch them play, you can see the difference in the two players. It's a fair comparison, since they both play in the pivot.

bigfan
06-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Splitter will stay overseas next year with Tau and hopefully this gives Elson more time to develop/get his ass in gear. I still think there is something in Elson I like, the guy is super quick for a big man and can be aggressive. Im willing to wait a year on Splitter.

cherylsteele
06-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Here is a Splitter video clip:
splitter video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlrqMS7tp-A)

He actually looks pretty good. He seems quick with a nice touch, decent "D", he is athletic, and can shoot free throws (The Spurs will cure that though :lol).

whottt
06-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Splitter will stay overseas next year with Tau and hopefully this gives Elson more time to develop/get his ass in gear. I still think there is something in Elson I like, the guy is super quick for a big man and can be aggressive. Im willing to wait a year on Splitter.

What you can like about Elson is that he's IMO, the most athletic 7 footer in the NBA.

whottt
06-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Why don't the Spurs just bring him over this year?

CubanMustGo
06-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Big buyout this year. Sound familiar?

Solid D
06-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Here is a Splitter video clip:
splitter video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlrqMS7tp-A)

He actually looks pretty good. He seems quick with a nice touch, decent "D", he is athletic, and can shoot free throws (The Spurs will cure that though :lol).

That's an excellent game for Splitter. He showed excellent hands. Went strong to the basket. Panathanikos didn't have much size out there and Splitter looked like a real factor.

On the negative side, he slid into his screens and didn't get set very well but he got away with it most of the time.

T Park
06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
On the negative side, he slid into his screens and didn't get set very well but he got away with it most of the time

:lol

the kids 22, I think the Spurs can work with him on it.

Dr. Acula
06-29-2007, 11:57 AM
splitter splits defenses ha a ha ha ha

cherylsteele
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
That's an excellent game for Splitter. He showed excellent hands. Went strong to the basket. Panathanikos didn't have much size out there and Splitter looked like a real factor.

On the negative side, he slid into his screens and didn't get set very well but he got away with it most of the time.
I have seen alot of NBA "veterans" do the same types of things. With a little work and practice I think Splitter could be a solid center for the Spurs to compliment Duncan.

I noticed the hands as well...at least he has one step up on Nazr. At least he doesn't seem to be timid about being aggressive on the floor. Being aggressive like that might make it an easier transition to the NBA.

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Im hearing more of him being agressive and not soft.

I'd love to know the dumbfuck scout who said he was "soft"

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
He said the Spurs and his agent are talking and he may play for the Spurs next season. He plans to travel to San Antonio soon

See now the way some writers put it "next season" is 07 08

is next season that, or 08 09?

dallaskd
06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Tiago can play. Spur fans should feel good.

whottt
06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Tiago can play. Spur fans should feel good.

He's not David Robinson so therefore he sucks. And the Spurs suck for not drafting David Robinson with the 28th pick.

You just have to understand how spoiled Spursfans are when it comes to bigmen...they've never had to go more than 3 or 4 years without a franchise bigman, an that was almost 20 something years ago...they aren't even used to going 3 or 4 years without 2 of them right now.

Bruno
06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Splitter is a very solid player, I don't see at all being a bust. He will likely be a very usefull role player.
He is too nba ready and should be able to help Spurs fast. Between Spanish league (best domestic league in europe), Euroleague (best competition outside the nba) and games with Brasilian NT : he will come in nba with something like 300 games played at a very high level. A college senior should have played something like 150 NCAA games and Splitter has played at a way higher level than the NCAA level.

timvp
06-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Splitter is a very solid player, I don't see at all being a bust. He will likely be a very usefull role player.
He is too nba ready and should be able to help Spurs fast. Between Spanish league (best domestic league in europe), Euroleague (best competition outside the nba) and games with Brasilian NT : he will come in nba with something like 300 games played at a very high level. A college senior should have played something like 150 NCAA games and Splitter has played at a way higher level than the NCAA level.

Yeah, Splitter has the experience of a guy four or five years older than he is. Because we've seen so much of him, I really doubt there's a chance he busts. I think he's better than Elson right now and should at least stay at that level for the next eight years.

timvp
06-29-2007, 05:20 PM

'07-08 or '08-09?

The only way I'd want him in '07-08 is if Oberto gets a giant contract offer from another team.

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't get how, hes 22, and thats it, he is who he is.

Are the spanish coaches that bad, where he can't work on things?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah, Splitter has the experience of a guy four or five years older than he is. Because we've seen so much of him, I really doubt there's a chance he busts. I think he's better than Elson right now and should at least stay at that level for the next eight years.

Oh, staying at his current level has never been a problem for mr. splitter, he has managed to stay the same for well over 4 years now

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
The only way I'd want him in '07-08 is if Oberto gets a giant contract offer from another team

Thats it?

Ain't good enough to supplant Elson, or sit on the bench as the 14th or 15th guy?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 05:25 PM
If you dont get him in '08 you're not getting him until 2012, Tau knows how to write those contracts man, and his buyout after next year is ridiculous

timvp
06-29-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't get how, hes 22, and thats it, he is who he is.

Are the spanish coaches that bad, where he can't work on things?

If a player hasn't improved from 18 to 22, I don't know why someone would expect him to improve much after the age of 22.

Thats it?

Ain't good enough to supplant Elson, or sit on the bench as the 14th or 15th guy?

There is this thing called roster spots that the Spurs are short on. As it stands, it's going to be difficult finding room on the roster for Marcus Williams.

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Ely is gone.... He can't supplant Melvin Ely?

timvp
06-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Who is Williams going to supplant? Outside of if the Spurs would have packaged 28 with Beno, I don't see teams lining up to get their hands on him. Barring a trade, Splitter coming right now would probably cost the Spurs James White.

And none of this is even counting Mahinmi or Scola, who both could possibly join the team this season.

El_Mago
06-29-2007, 06:02 PM
I could see both Scola and Tiago coming together next year.

I don't think Scola comes this year.

Oberto, Elson, Butler
Duncan, Elson, Horry, Bonner

We seem pretty set at the big man for this year.

Melvin Ely's spot...I suppose it could be taken up by Marcus who would come at a cheap contract (brought up and sent down just like James White this year.

CaptainLate
06-29-2007, 06:34 PM
It would be nice if he could play for the Spurs next season

I don't see the Spurs messing up their plans for getting an all-star after next season by signing a guaranteed contract. TS will stay overseas for one more season. Then the Spurs FO, with TD, TP and Manu the only ones left under contract, can figure out salaries and who best fits in their plans for the next 3-5 yrs.

T Park
06-29-2007, 06:36 PM
You could package up Beno Barry together and that opens up another spot.

in all honesty, the guy sounds WAAYYYYY Better than Elson, so see if you can capitalize on everyone thinking hes decet and see if he can get packaged with barry and beno to sweeten the pot.

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2007, 07:43 PM
http://espnbrasil.uol.com.br/noticias/materia.aspx?id=133771

Selecionado pelos Spurs, Splitter negocia dispensa no Tau
Foram três temporadas de rumores, muitas expectativas e desistências de última hora mas, finalmente, o ala/pivô Tiago Splitter confirmou os prognósticos mundiais e tornou-se mais um brasileiro na NBA. Na noite de quinta-feira, ele foi selecionado pelo San Antonio Spurs na 28ª escolha de primeira rodada do draft. Com aprovação confirmada no vestibular da liga, ele tem agora uma nova batalha pela frente: obter a liberação no Tau Ceramica.
'Por enquanto ainda não tivemos nenhuma conversa (com o Tau). A partir da semana que vem vamos tentar marcar uma reunião para negociar, conscientes de nossas possibilidades', diz o jogador.

Splitter tem ainda um ano de contrato com a equipe espanhola e para deixá-la antes do final do contrato teria de pagar 1 milhão de euros. A franquia norte-americana bancaria apenas US$ 500 mil, sobrando para o ala/pivô arcar com o restante do valor.

Por causa disso, o mais provável é que os Spurs sigam com Splitter procedimento semelhante ao que tiveram com o argentino Manu Ginóbilli. Escolhido pela franquia, ele seguiu na Espanha até o final de seu contrato para evitar a multa rescisória.

Aguardar o brasileiro não será um problema para o time do Texas. Em entrevista ao jornal San Antonio Express News, o gerente geral da franquia, RC Buford, demonstrou tranqüilidade ante a possibilidade de contar com o jogador apenas na próxima temporada. Mas, se dependesse de Splitter, o embarque para os Estados Unidos seria imediato. 'Eu gostaria de ir direto para a NBA', confessa, mostrando-se cosnciente de suas limitações contratuais.

'Temos que sentar e conversar para ver o que podemos fazer. Só tenho o que agradecer ao Tau pela oportunidade de atuar em uma equipe de elite no basquete europeu que é uma vitrine para os campeonatos mundiais', diz.

Splitter acompanhou o draft em São Paulo, juntamente com seus agentes. 'Estava muito ansioso, nervoso', recorda. 'Nem posso explicar o que sentia, cada vez que escolhiam ficava mais nervoso. Os prognósticos que tinha diziam que ficaria entre a 20ª e a 30ª escolha'.

Para ele, ter sido selecionado pelo tricampeão Spurs foi uma satisfação extra. 'Fico bastante feliz por ser escolhido pelo melhor time do mundo na atualidade', diz sem temer a responsabilidade de ser a nova aposta de uma administração que já planeja a estruturação da geração responsável por manter a franquia em alta cotação na liga.

'A responsabilidade é grande, mas é muito bom ser selecionado por uma equipe que tem tradição de apostar em jogadores internacionais com experiências positivas. Vou fazer o possível para manter isso', promete. Além de Splitter, os Spurs selecionaram o grego Giorgos Printezis e o norte-americano Marcus Williams.

Após a seleção, seu único contato com outros brasileiros que atuam na liga foi com Anderson Varejão. Finalista da última temporada com o Cleveland Cavaliers, o companheiro de seleção brasileira felicitou o amigo. 'Conversei com o Anderson com quem tenho mais amizade. Ele sempre falava que pelo meu basquete deveria estar jogando na NBA'.

Refeito das emoções do draft, Splitter viaja para Blumenau (SC) neste final de semana. Vai encontrar a família e descansar um pouco antes de iniciar as negociações com o Tau.

O ala/pivô tem vínculo com o clube espanhol desde os 15 anos. Fez sua estréia nos times das categorias inferiores: Araba Gorago (2001/02) e Bilbao Basket (2001/02 e 2002/03), antes de chegar à equipe da primeira divisão em 2003-04.

Durante sua permanência na Europa foi vice-campeão da Euroliga em 2004-05, conquistou dois títulos na Copa do Rei (2005/06 e 2003/04), um da Supercopa (2005/06) e foi vice na Liga ACB, principal divisão espanhola, em 2004/05.

--------------------------------------------------------

He said he wanted to play in the NBA now and will talk to Tau about a buyout next week. He has one more year in the contract and know it'll be tough to not play next season with Tau

Said he was very nervous during the draft and he's glad he'll play in the best team in the world and he's happy he will play for the Spurs because they already have many international players

planaria
06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
You are really underrating Splitter. He is WAYYYYYY better than Elson. Period.

He´s WAYYYY better than Varejão who is already better than Elson.

It´s not like we´re talking about an unproven guy. We´re talking about a guy who´ll be able to null Yao Ming in a game (like he did last offseason with the brazilian NT).

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2007, 07:53 PM
ESPN brazil? what channel is that on?

It's here in Brazil. You don't have it on USA

bluebellmaniac
06-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Ok, so next season Tiago is available for $1M buyout and Scola is free and clear to sign up with the Spurs? So if Horry retires at the end of next season and Finley moves on, that clears up the 2 spots for TS and Scola with a "youth" movement, no? Combine with a deal to move out Barry for cap space and we should be looking like a contender for a few more years until Duncan calls it quits! That would give us our core of TD, TP, Manu, Tiago, Scola, Oberto (?) + more role players. Sounds like the team to beat!

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 08:14 PM
It's here in Brazil. You don't have it on USA

damn... i was hoping to catch some hot brazilian sportscenter chicks

Switchman
06-29-2007, 09:17 PM

After painfully watching Rasho for years....then see Fab be a softy (although appreciated) it is pretty nice when Elson comes charging through the lane and throws it down.

Borosai
06-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Next year, Horry and Elson come off the books, so those two spots can be taken by Scola and the Splitmeister. Roster spots for next year are not a problem.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2007, 09:58 PM
He said he wanted to play in the NBA now and will talk to Tau about a buyout next week.

I think it's better that he stay in Europe another year. If he actually buys his contract out this year, we might not see Oberto coming back.

Solid D
06-29-2007, 11:01 PM
If a player hasn't improved from 18 to 22, I don't know why someone would expect him to improve much after the age of 22.

...and then again....there is Tony Parker.

For anyone listenng, given the right coaching, stimulus, experience, and hard work - improvement, sometimes drastic improvement, can take place in a basketball players' game.

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 11:04 PM
I think it's better that he stay in Europe another year. If he actually buys his contract out this year, we might not see Oberto coming back.

Agreed. I think bringing Splitter over this season would simply be a contingency for if Oberto were to bolt.

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Here in this new article he said he and his agent will talk to Tau to see if there's any chance to brake the contract now and join the Spurs in novemember. Tiago said he knows it's very difficult but he'll try. If it doens't workout he'll pay the buyout next year. (to join the Spurs in 08-09)

He also said he may be in San Antonio in 2 weeks

Tiago Splitter, louco para jogar na NBA
Pivô foi escolhido pelo San Antonio Spurs no draft

Heleni Felippe

O pivô brasileiro Tiago Splitter foi a 28ª escolha da primeira rodada - numa lista de 30 nomes - do draft da NBA, na madrugada de ontem, em Nova York. Foi escolhido pelo atual campeão, o San Antonio Spurs. Se dependesse só dele, o pivô, de 22 anos e 2,10 m, viajaria imediatamente para o Texas para acertar tudo com os Spurs. Mas ainda tem contrato com o espanhol Tau Cerámica e pode ter de esperar um ano para realizar o sonho de jogar na NBA. Splitter é o sexto brasileiro na Liga.

Assistiu ao draft no Brasil, pela TV. “Estou grato por ter sido escolhido pelo campeão da Liga. Acho que vou me adaptar bem a um jogo que não é tão diferente do que faço na Espanha. Mas ainda tenho um ano de contrato para cumprir e multa rescisória de US$ 1 milhão para pagar. Este ano, talvez eu não possa ir”, explica Tiago, no basquete espanhol desde os 15 anos.

A vontade de Tiago, segundo o empresário Luis Martín, é pagar a multa agora e jogar a próxima temporada da NBA, a partir de novembro. O agente negocia com o presidente do Tau Cerámica, Josan Querejeta, ainda sem resposta. Mas o San Antonio já sabia da condição de Tiago, preso por contrato ao time espanhol, e está disposto a esperar pelo pivô.

O contrato de Splitter vai até 30 de junho de 2009, mas pode ser encerrado em 30 de junho de 2008 com o pagamento da multa. “O normal é que queiram me segurar. O máximo que pode acontecer é o San Antonio ter de me esperar até o ano que vem”, diz Tiago, que só deve ir para os EUA em 15 dias.

Campeão pan-americano em Santo Domingo (2003), Tiago não disputará o Pan, mas já confirmou ao técnico da seleção, Lula Ferreira, que estará no Pré-Olímpico de Las Vegas, em agosto. “É uma grande satisfação ter outro brasileiro na NBA, mostra o talento do nosso basquete. Tiago merece estar no processo de renovação do San Antonio.”

http://www.estado.com.br/editorias/2007/06/30/esp-1.93.6.20070630.72.1.xml?

ArgSpursFan
06-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Here in this new article he said he and his agent will talk to Tau to see if there's any chance to brake the contract now and join the Spurs in novemember.

Tau has shown with Scola that they never¨brake contracts¨or let good players walk away,just like that,No sr.
Plus,with Scola´s buy out almost gone to zero this summer,they know that Tiago will have to take his place next season if Luis(Scola) Goes to another team in Europe or Comes to the NBA.
I think,Tiago´s future this summer will depend on what Scola does in the offseason,If He(Scola) goes, Tiago stays at least for another year,if Luis stays,He might have a chance to brake his contract or deal his buy out.

Ariel
06-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Tiago Splitter, louco para jogar na NBA
Pivô foi escolhido pelo San Antonio Spurs no draft

Heleni Felippe

O pivô brasileiro Tiago Splitter foi a 28ª escolha da primeira rodada - numa lista de 30 nomes - do draft da NBA, na madrugada de ontem, em Nova York. Foi escolhido pelo atual campeão, o San Antonio Spurs. Se dependesse só dele, o pivô, de 22 anos e 2,10 m, viajaria imediatamente para o Texas para acertar tudo com os Spurs. Mas ainda tem contrato com o espanhol Tau Cerámica e pode ter de esperar um ano para realizar o sonho de jogar na NBA. Splitter é o sexto brasileiro na Liga.

Assistiu ao draft no Brasil, pela TV. “Estou grato por ter sido escolhido pelo campeão da Liga. Acho que vou me adaptar bem a um jogo que não é tão diferente do que faço na Espanha. Mas ainda tenho um ano de contrato para cumprir e multa rescisória de US$ 1 milhão para pagar. Este ano, talvez eu não possa ir”, explica Tiago, no basquete espanhol desde os 15 anos.

A vontade de Tiago, segundo o empresário Luis Martín, é pagar a multa agora e jogar a próxima temporada da NBA, a partir de novembro. O agente negocia com o presidente do Tau Cerámica, Josan Querejeta, ainda sem resposta. Mas o San Antonio já sabia da condição de Tiago, preso por contrato ao time espanhol, e está disposto a esperar pelo pivô.

O contrato de Splitter vai até 30 de junho de 2009, mas pode ser encerrado em 30 de junho de 2008 com o pagamento da multa. “O normal é que queiram me segurar. O máximo que pode acontecer é o San Antonio ter de me esperar até o ano que vem”, diz Tiago, que só deve ir para os EUA em 15 dias.

Campeão pan-americano em Santo Domingo (2003), Tiago não disputará o Pan, mas já confirmou ao técnico da seleção, Lula Ferreira, que estará no Pré-Olímpico de Las Vegas, em agosto. “É uma grande satisfação ter outro brasileiro na NBA, mostra o talento do nosso basquete. Tiago merece estar no processo de renovação do San Antonio.”

http://www.estado.com.br/editorias/2007/06/30/esp-1.93.6.20070630.72.1.xml?
Tiago Splitter crazy about playing in the NBA

The center was taken by the San Antonio Spurs in the draft.

Heleni Felippe

Yesterday's dawn, in New York, Brazilian center Tiago Splitter was taken as the 28th pick of the first round -in a list of 30 names- of the NBA draft. He was taken by the current champions, the San Antonio Spurs. If it were up to him and him alone, the 22 year old and 6'11" center would make an immediate trip to texas to arrange everything with the Spurs. However, he's still under contract with Spain's Tau Ceramica, and he might have to wait a year to fulfill his dream of playing in the NBA. Splitter is the sixth Brazilian in the NBA.

He watched the NBA draft from Brazil, on TV. "I'm grateful for having been chosen by the League's champion. I think I'll adjust well to a game not so different to that which I do in Spain. But I still have one year left to play, and a buyout clause of 1 million dollars to pay. I might not be able to join them this year", Tiago explained, who's been playing in Spain since he was 15 years old.

Tiago's wish, according to agent Luis Martin, is to pay his buyout now and play in the NBA the upcoming NBA season, starting Novermber. The agent is negotiating with Tau Ceramica's president, Josean Querejeta, still without results. But San Antonio already knew Tiago's situation, handcuffed by his contract with the Spanish team, and they're willing to wait for the center.

Splitter's contract ends in June 30 2009, but it can be terminated June 30 2008, through paying a buyout. "Chances are, they'll want to hold on to me. Worst case scenario is San Antonio has to wait for me until next year", said Tiago, who has to travel to the USA in 15 days.

A Panamerican champion in Santo Domingo (2003), Tiago will not play in the Panamerican games this time around, but he already confirmed NT coach Lula Ferreira he will play in the Pre-Olympic tournament to be held in Las Vegas, in August. "It's a great satisfaction to have another Brazilian playing in the NBA, which proves the talent in our basketball. Tiago deserves to be in San Antonio's renovation process."

wildbill2u
06-30-2007, 02:54 PM
After painfully watching Rasho for years....then see Fab be a softy (although appreciated) it is pretty nice when Elson comes charging through the lane and throws it down.
Yeah, he does that about once or twice a month. Don't get caught up in the excitement of slam dunks. They are still only 2 points apiece with no points for style.

You ought to see the nine minute game footage of Splitter doing really nice things with the Pick & Roll--even changing hands in mid-stride to put up a left hand layup--several times in the nine minutes.

Splitter has more basketball IQ than Elson right now at 22 vs. 31. But the Spurs will craftily wait on the best contract situation.

T Park
06-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Uh, Oberto is not a softy.......

Fucking Tau. Let the kid go, and lets Scola go to you bastards :flipoff