PDA

View Full Version : Arena League, again?

fyatuk
06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
There was an article in today's print edition of the San Antonio Business Journal that the Arena League is talking expansion this year, and is very interested in putting a team in San Antonio again, and has been in touch with several interested ownership groups over the past few years.

At the same time, the Wranglers, the Austin AFL team, is contemplating ceasing operations, dropping to AF2, or relocating.

The Force, our previous AFL team that played in 1992 only, actually seemed to have done pretty well, averaging over 12k fans at home games (only about 10k on the road), and showing a trend of increasing attendence at home games even though they SUCKED. They were killed more because of the unprofitable nature of the league back then than anything it seems. There were also issues with sight lines for Arena League in the HemisFair being absolutely horrid (IIRC they weren't too good for basketball either).

So the question is with the AAFL supposedly starting in the Spring '08 with a usage agreement with the Alamodome already (according to rumor), and the UFL probably planning a team for SA for Fall '08, what do you guys think of the Arena League coming back to town?

Would 3 new football teams starting about the same time hurt any/all of them?

AlamoSpursFan
06-29-2007, 10:08 AM
It would definitely be a new team, since the Georgia team in Arena ball has the name Force now.

I thought the sightlines were good for the few games I went to, but I wasn't sitting behind a pole either.

I think the Arena league would stand the best chance of the three, mainly because of their operating agreement with the NFL.

lebomb
06-29-2007, 01:07 PM
No NFL or D1 NCAA Football..............No care.

fyatuk
06-29-2007, 01:16 PM
No NFL or D1 NCAA Football..............No care.

I'm still waiting for someone to step up and donate money to UTSA to start a football program like Benson did for UIW.

lebomb
06-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to step up and donate money to UTSA to start a football program like Benson did for UIW.

.........no kidding. Is there anyone with Benson cash that graduated from UTSA???

fyatuk
06-29-2007, 01:44 PM
.........no kidding. Is there anyone with Benson cash that graduated from UTSA???

I don't know, but you'd think there be some city-conscious folk like the Butts or McCombs that would be willing to chip in a few million each. Or the City and County themselves could, if I remember the law right.

lebomb
06-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't know, but you'd think there be some city-conscious folk like the Butts or McCombs that would be willing to chip in a few million each. Or the City and County themselves could, if I remember the law right.

Kind of what I was hoping.......maybe Red would donate a couple Million.....or hell, Valero!!! They are right next door. They could even name the football field or whatever after Valero.

Get it done!! Damnit!!! I want to see some DI football.

samikeyp
06-29-2007, 09:44 PM
The Force, our previous AFL team that played in 1992 only, actually seemed to have done pretty well, averaging over 12k fans at home games (only about 10k on the road), and showing a trend of increasing attendence at home games even though they SUCKED. They were killed more because of the unprofitable nature of the league back then than anything it seems. There were also issues with sight lines for Arena League in the HemisFair being absolutely horrid (IIRC they weren't too good for basketball either).

You are right....they were horrid. The Force still hold the record as the only team ever to be shut out in Arena Ball. The Hemisfair was bad for it....but it rocked for basketball! :)

I would love to see a new team in the AT&T.

TheTruth
06-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Kind of what I was hoping.......maybe Red would donate a couple Million.....or hell, Valero!!! They are right next door. They could even name the football field or whatever after Valero.

Get it done!! Damnit!!! I want to see some DI football.
Valero will build St. Marys a football field way before they even think about one for UTSA.

TheTruth
06-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I'd be psyched for the Arena League to come back. I used to have a sweet Force hat back in my Elementary school days.

OsakaSpurs
06-30-2007, 05:57 AM
The Force logo was taking the word "Force" and making it FORCE jeez.
I have never settled on an NFL team, never so I just wish San Antonio got something from the UFL that merged into the NFL later...or who knows. I love football. I will buy any team's gear that comes to town.

What makes any of you pick the NFL team you like? Location? Being forced into a Cowboys hat before you are old enough to choose for yourself?

Most importantly can the new teams have nothing to do with beef please...(frikken cow on the Texans helmet, Steers in the Bluebonnet palace, Brahmas, Stampede...). I know our State has done more than ranch...

Thank you San Antonio Spurs for always being there!

fyatuk
06-30-2007, 08:02 AM
The Force logo was taking the word "Force" and making it FORCE jeez.
I have never settled on an NFL team, never so I just wish San Antonio got something from the UFL that merged into the NFL later...or who knows. I love football. I will buy any team's gear that comes to town.

What makes any of you pick the NFL team you like? Location? Being forced into a Cowboys hat before you are old enough to choose for yourself?

Most importantly can the new teams have nothing to do with beef please...(frikken cow on the Texans helmet, Steers in the Bluebonnet palace, Brahmas, Stampede...). I know our State has done more than ranch...

Thank you San Antonio Spurs for always being there!

I'm with you, my football loyalty is for sale to any team that plays in SA.

I ended up being a cowboys fan just because it's pretty much the only team one can fully follow here in San Antonio (well, not anymore thanks to the internet and NFL Sunday Ticket, etc).

Although somewhere in there I added Saints to my list of liked teams, way before they played here due to Katrina. I watched a Cowboys-Saints game (I think herchel walker was a cowboy and ironhead heyward was a saint for that game) and liked the way the Saints looked, and since I've semi-followed them. I was happy I got to go to two of the three games they played here :)

scott
06-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Valero will build St. Marys a football field way before they even think about one for UTSA.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Valero's former CEO donated big time to St. Mary's... but has moved on to another company. Valero and UTSA are dedicated to being good neighbors and one Valero executive sits on the committee to decide whether to start a football program at UTSA.

lebomb
07-01-2007, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE= Valero and UTSA are dedicated to being good neighbors and one Valero executive sits on the committee to decide whether to start a football program at UTSA.[/QUOTE]

:worthy:

greenroom
07-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Would love to see a AFL team here in San Antonio.

That said I just do not understand and have never understood why UTSA does not have at least a football team like Texas State does. I would think this town would support the UTSA team just like they support the Spurs.

fyatuk
07-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Well, UTSA is just now feeling like it has a large enough student body for a football team, but has also always felt it didn't have the money or facilities to create a team.

You can't use tuition money or state grants for athletics, and since UTSA has been mostly a feeder school for UT most of it's existence, it doesn't have a good alumni base to get donations from. It's also been fairly reticent about charging significantly higher fees for athletics due to the fact that the typical student is fairly poor.

lebomb
07-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Well, UTSA is just now feeling like it has a large enough student body for a football team, but has also always felt it didn't have the money or facilities to create a team.

You can't use tuition money or state grants for athletics, and since UTSA has been mostly a feeder school for UT most of it's existence, it doesn't have a good alumni base to get donations from. It's also been fairly reticent about charging significantly higher fees for athletics due to the fact that the typical student is fairly poor.

Yep, really not that different than Texas State.....and they have a team.

Anyhow, I think football would give San Antonio something to do when the NBA season hasnt started yet.