PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford's Grade for the Spurs...

Gino20
06-29-2007, 11:56 AM
San Antonio Spurs Grade: A
Round 1: Tiago Splitter (28)

Round 2: Marcus Williams (33), Giorgos Printezis (58)

Analysis: The Spurs continue to amaze with their ability to find gems late in the draft. Splitter would've gone 10 to 15 spots higher if he had been able to get out of his contract and come to the NBA next season. But next summer, he can exercise a buyout and join the Spurs. When he comes, he'll be 23, battle-tested in the Euroleague and ready to supplant Fabricio Oberto in the middle.

As a pure small forward, Williams also seems like a great fit, as long as he can get with coach Gregg Popovich's team-oriented game plan. Printezis is a young, athletic forward who will continue to play in Greece for a while.

Sorry, if this has been posted...did not see it.

coopdogg3
06-29-2007, 11:57 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=draftgrades&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2007%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3ddraftgrades

There's the link.

djohn14
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
We always get good grades. I love our scouts. This is one of the few International players I knew. I really wanted him so I give us an A+!

Extra Stout
06-29-2007, 12:20 PM
The scouts judge Spurs' drafts the way they judge Notre Dame recruiting classes.

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Tiago Splitter was definitely on my radar, but he wasn't one of my preferred picks. But I'll gladly take him over trading the pick anyday.

Marcus Williams had not interested me at all. But if the Spurs think that he will work (and let him make the roster) then I'll be more than satisfied. I wanted a domestic wing in this draft...and while Williams isn't what I expected he is more than welcome to be here.

CubanMustGo
06-29-2007, 01:46 PM
According to Spurs.com we traded Printezis for an '08 second-round pick:

San Antonio traded the draft rights of Giorgos Printezis to the Toronto Raptors in exchange for the Raptors second round pick in the 2008 NBA Draft.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 01:48 PM
I dont give a fuck about this draft, i saw it as an opportunity to get a few exceptionally gifted people (i was hoping for fernandez or koponen), but otherwise our drafts wont mean shit until '08

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 02:09 PM
According to Spurs.com we traded Printezis for an '08 second-round pick:

San Antonio traded the draft rights of Giorgos Printezis to the Toronto Raptors in exchange for the Raptors second round pick in the 2008 NBA Draft.

I'm kinda bummed about that. I really was hopeful for him.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm kinda bummed about that. I really was hopeful for him.

I bet he never sees an NBA court

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I bet he never sees an NBA court

Most #58 picks don't. But some do. And this guy was that long small forward-type that we'd been talking about. If we're going to gamble I figure we might as well gamble on something we need.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:15 PM
(i was hoping for fernandez or koponen

koponen?

Beno Udrih's finnish brother? :lol

wildbill2u
06-29-2007, 02:52 PM
This draft was so good and deep that almost every team got an above average grade. Poor Houston.

BeerIsGood!
06-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Houston's draft was absolutely horrible, it's like they couldn't figure out what in the hell to do after their guy came to the Spurs.

The Blazers and Sonics had what appear to be great drafts by default, because you simply can't screw up by taking Oden and Durant. I think the Blazers screwed up on the trade though, Steve Francis and the dud Channing Frye for a 20 and 10 guy in Randolph? They could have gotten much better if they had been patient.

BacktoBasics
06-29-2007, 04:10 PM
I haven't figured out why everyone says this dude was a steal at 28. If he was that good he would have been long gone by then. There 4 or 5 picks ahead where teams weren't drafting need they were taking best available option. The only reason a high quality player slips is if people are drafting need over talent and this wasn't the case here.

For the cryers....I'm not saying he sucks but my expectations of him sit around him being slightly better and a little more athletic than Oberto. 6 and 4 guy and 10 and 5 if we are lucky.

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
I haven't figured out why everyone says this dude was a steal at 28. If he was that good he would have been long gone by then. There 4 or 5 picks ahead where teams weren't drafting need they were taking best available option. The only reason a high quality player slips is if people are drafting need over talent and this wasn't the case here.

For the cryers....I'm not saying he sucks but my expectations of him sit around him being slightly better and a little more athletic than Oberto. 6 and 4 guy and 10 and 5 if we are lucky.

Not true. Players with buyouts always tend to slip at least a little compared to where they would go if they were an NCAA product. In a league that has coaches and GMs canned constantly these execs don't want to put their neck on the line. A little help now is often better than a lot of help later...because it might ensure that you have a job tomorrow. Also, there is always the Fran Vasquez and/or Luis Scola concern (especially prevalent with Splitter being a Tau player) and the fact that Darko Milicic (and all potential Euro bigs) has been labeled a bust. No, foreigners can definitely slip in a situation like this.

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm not saying he sucks but my expectations of him sit around him being slightly better and a little more athletic than Oberto. 6 and 4 guy and 10 and 5 if we are lucky.

If hes slightly to more athletic, and identical to Oberto (Wich is false hes got a nice jumper and some nice hook shots in his game as opposed to Fab) then he would be a 10 and 10 guy.

The reason teams were spooked on him, was pulling out of the draft the last few years, and his contract situation.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 04:17 PM
koponen?

Beno Udrih's finnish brother? :lol

He seemed to impress absolutely everyone in workouts and seems like he has all the tools to be an all star PG. Beno has all the tools to be a good starting PG ('sept for defense) but he was handled pretty poorly by pop and has thus been irreparably damaged here.

Oh well, fuck 'em. He's kind of weak mentally anyway

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Beno has all the tools to be a good starting PG ('sept for defense) but he was handled pretty poorly by pop and has thus been irreparably damaged here

handled badly?

How did Pop handle him badly?

Can't wait to hear this one.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Beno's just the type of player that lacks a lot of confidence and I dont think the Tony treatment worked for him. You gotta be more patient with him and message his ego a bit.

Oh well, that doesnt sound like a spur to me, but some other teams might be able to make it work

timvp
06-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Those are pretty good guesses. Splitter isn't going to be a dominant center by any stretch of the imagination, but I think his base puts him at around a 6 and 5 type player. If he improves, he could turn into a 8 and 6 or 9 and 7 player.

There's a pretty good shot that he'll be as good as Oberto is now and a decent chance he could develop into an even better player.

The reason he slipped to 28 is because he doesn't have great potential. He's simply not going to be a 15 and 10 guy. That combined with the fact that teams have to wait a year pushed him down a bit.

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:14 PM
The reason he slipped to 28 is because he doesn't have great potential. He's simply not going to be a 15 and 10 guy

Whats holding him back from that?

Honestly, could good coaching NOT get him to that level?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Whats holding him back from that?

Lack of talent mostly

BeerIsGood!
06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Those are pretty good guesses. Splitter isn't going to be a dominant center by any stretch of the imagination, but I think his base puts him at around a 6 and 5 type player. If he improves, he could turn into a 8 and 6 or 9 and 7 player.

There's a pretty good shot that he'll be as good as Oberto is now and a decent chance he could develop into an even better player.

The reason he slipped to 28 is because he doesn't have great potential. He's simply not going to be a 15 and 10 guy. That combined with the fact that teams have to wait a year pushed him down a bit.

I'm also interested in his defensive potential. He appears to have a much better basketball IQ than Elson but with the size, length, and quickness to play center and be a shot-altering force inside in the Spurs system. He also seemed to be able to run the court fairly well and showed decent ball handling skills for a big.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm with T Park. What the hell is it about Splitter that makes people say he doesn't have much potential?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm with T Park. What the hell is it about Splitter that makes people say he doesn't have much potential?

Mainly his lack of potential.

This kid hasnt improved one iota in all his time with Tau.

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds like the coaching sucks at Tau to me.

A young kid with his talents, doesn't improve?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 05:28 PM

What talents? He cant shoot (despite all of the write ups and a few highlight reels, Tiago is an inside player (check out his FT%))

he rebounds at a really poor clip (in Euroleague) and he doesn't block shots..... oh yeah, and he isnt a dominant force inside (again in euroleague)

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:30 PM
He cant shoot (despite all of the write ups and a few highlight reels, Tiago is an inside player (check out his FT%

Works with Chip England in the off and during the seasn problem solved.

he rebounds at a really poor clip (in Euroleague) and he doesn't block shots..... oh yeah, and he isnt a dominant force inside (again in euroleague)

Rebounding can be improved as well.

Its not like were talking about a kid thats 25 27 like Scola who is prob done at improving.

Also the lack of blocked shots was blamed on him not cheating alot or at all on defense.

Something he would be able to do with Bowen and duncan around.

Once again. Hes 22. This is like getting a college graduate, who has potential.

I find it, very very hard to believe, with the Spurs coaching staff, he can't improve on his talents, and the tools that he has.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Works with Chip England in the off and during the seasn problem solved.

Rebounding can be improved as well.

Its not like were talking about a kid thats 25 27 like Scola who is prob done at improving.

Also the lack of blocked shots was blamed on him not cheating alot or at all on defense.

Something he would be able to do with Bowen and duncan around.

Im not buying it man, this kid has Rasho-lite stamped all over him for me. He might be a bit better than rasho, but even in his highlight reels, light footed is not a word i would use to describe him... at all.

I just cant imagine any player at that age with those kinds of minutes showing absolutely zero improvement what so ever.

That has to be a lack of talent, not coaching. Besides, the spurs arent know for being the best at developing talent (lets see there was Tony, and SJax i guess.... no other names really come to mind)

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for. He was a shooter before going to Tau and also plays that role on the Brazilian national team. He is playing within a different defined team concept role at Tau...setting picks, moving without the ball, rebounding etc. Tau doesn't run plays for him and he is not a primary scorer. His shot has suffered a little because of that and his back problems this year...but Spurs have the best shooting coach in basketball. Splitter a smart guy, speaks four languages including English, Energy player, supposed to be very coachable...plus he's 7 foot and still has room to increase bulk/strength with a good trainer.

remingtonbo2001
06-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Exactly....Well, maybe a little critical. Tau does well annually, if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, the machine continues to grow. It amazing how every person plays such a significant role. Look at what Chip has done. I really like our assistants. I find ourselves building a remarkable staff, one in which not only drafts good talent, but will take that talent and make it fit within the organization. It seems most organization fail to see the significance of this. Now it seems Portland and Seattle have caught on....So much for CIA.

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Well Robisnon, I know you wanted Josh McRoberts for some ungodknown reason cause IMO hes Cherokee Parks reborn.

That has to be a lack of talent, not coaching. Besides, the spurs arent know for being the best at developing talent (lets see there was Tony, and SJax i guess.... no other names really come to mind

Yeah Tony came in as a bad shooter, and turned into one of the clutchest shooters in the playoffs.

Lets see, theres Oberto who couldn't make a FT or a jumper to save his life, now Argentines are shocked that he makes jumpers and Free Throws.

Michael Finley developed into a decent to mediocre defender.

I mean come on. Finley? DEFENDING?!?!

Once again. If hes brought over at 22 23, I have no doubt in my mind he will show more than hes shown in Tau.

After all the shennanigans I've heard going on from last year with mahinmi, Im convinced leaving euros in europe doesn't help their development as much as being with the team would.

T Park
06-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Now it seems Portland and Seattle have caught on....So much for CIA.

Who are their GMs?

Obstructed_View
06-29-2007, 06:02 PM
In all fairness, Fin was a good individual defender until he went to a team that never played any.

dbestpro
06-29-2007, 10:46 PM
You can't judge Tiago by a growth in Stats in the Euro league. If that was the case then we would have traded Scola for a lottery pick as he is now the number 1 scorer. Euro league play suppresses younger players. Minutes and plays are limited in a cold and calulated move to try and lock up the kids for 5 year contracts, while stunting their development. Tiago with the proper support may end up much better than you could ever imagine. For example, he has never been much of a shot blocker, but I gaurantee that we will learn to block shots at a high profiecent rate because that is what the Spurs do.

exstatic
06-29-2007, 11:56 PM
22 isn't a "young kid" any more. This guy had lottery written all over him 2-3 years ago. Why not now? He hit the wall in improvement. WYSIWYG.

Bruno
06-30-2007, 02:46 AM
It's just wrong to say that Splitter hasn't improved in 4 years with Tau.
He is improving year after year. This year he has been slowed in the first half of the season because of a back injury but has been very good in the second half of the season.
He isn't a rebounding machine but he is a very solid rebounder and defender.

CosmicCowboy
06-30-2007, 03:11 AM
22 isn't a "young kid" any more. This guy had lottery written all over him 2-3 years ago. Why not now? He hit the wall in improvement. WYSIWYG.

X, you and I rarely disagree, but read a little deeper into the stats and history.. He played a very defined role at Tau and they didn't call plays for him...when Scola was out injured in '06 and he was called on to score he was hitting 20-10 on a regular basis. and 22 IS young for a post guy. 22 year old Wake Forest Tim Duncan was good but it's sure not the finished product Tim Duncan we know today..

wildbill2u
06-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't know if anyone posted this long vid of ONE whole game, not a highlight reel, of Splitter in a playoff game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ikO-JikXw

Check it out and tell me this guy can't play better than Elson right now. The only thing Oberto has on him is experience. He's agile, good hands on pick and roll, good defense, scores inside, crushing picks.

This kid can play, Maybe not an all-star, but he'll do. Good pick.

T Park
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
22 isn't a "young kid" any more

jesus h christ ona popsicle stick.

22 ISNT YOUNG!?!?!?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH :bang :bang

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Well Robisnon, I know you wanted Josh McRoberts for some ungodknown reason cause IMO hes Cherokee Parks reborn.

Yeah Tony came in as a bad shooter, and turned into one of the clutchest shooters in the playoffs.

Lets see, theres Oberto who couldn't make a FT or a jumper to save his life, now Argentines are shocked that he makes jumpers and Free Throws.

Michael Finley developed into a decent to mediocre defender.

I mean come on. Finley? DEFENDING?!?!

Once again. If hes brought over at 22 23, I have no doubt in my mind he will show more than hes shown in Tau.

After all the shennanigans I've heard going on from last year with mahinmi, Im convinced leaving euros in europe doesn't help their development as much as being with the team would.
I don't usually agree with T Park but I do in this case. I have watched a few games clips of him in game situations on YouTube and he looks like a very smart player. He does have skills around the basket, good hands, and seems to have an above average B-Ball IQ. Actually his "D" seems to be decent and shows he understands the basics of positioning on that end of the floor.

He is quicker than Rasho...contrary to want Robinson says....have you even seen him play at all be it in person or in clips on You Tube? Or are you just assuming these things because he is playing in Europe? He's not as quick as Elson but seems to be way smarter on the court than him.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't know if anyone posted this long vid of ONE whole game, not a highlight reel, of Splitter in a playoff game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ikO-JikXw

Check it out and tell me this guy can't play better than Elson right now. The only thing Oberto has on him is experience. He's agile, good hands on pick and roll, good defense, scores inside, crushing picks.

This kid can play, Maybe not an all-star, but he'll do. Good pick.
I posted a 9 min part of a game in another thread too.
I agree with you...he would be a step up from Elson or Ely for that matter.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 01:47 PM
What talents? He cant shoot (despite all of the write ups and a few highlight reels, Tiago is an inside player (check out his FT%))

splitter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIxHb1c7WQU)
You need to check out this clip along with actually watch real time game film before you make such comments as "he can't shoot...he's an inside player....etc". Maybe those people doing the write-ups actually have seen him play and not just go on the box score stats. There are alot of other aspects of the game that never show up in the box score.

In this clip he dunks more in this than Rasho did during an entire season. He makes a few baseline jumpers, one at the top of the key, end even one around the 3pt line. Sure, he can improve....every player can....even Timmy (at the free throw line). "He isn't a dominant force inside"....again watch more than just box scores and 10 second clips to make a judgment. He is alot more dominant than Rasho ever was even on his best days.

T Park
06-30-2007, 01:50 PM
exactly.

And if he isn't setting picks right, and doesnt do this and that right.

Hes twenty friggen three. I think the Spurs staff has time to coach him how.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 01:51 PM
He does have skills around the basket, good hands, and seems to have an above average B-Ball IQ. Actually his "D" seems to be decent and shows he understands the basics of positioning on that end of the floor. He is quicker than Rasho...contrary to want Robinson says....have you even seen him play at all be it in person or in clips on You Tube? Or are you just assuming these things because he is playing in Europe? He's not as quick as Elson but seems to be way smarter on the court than him.

Im not sure why you think I equate playing in europe with being slow.... there are tons of athlete's in the euroleague, but as i mentioned earlier i have yet to see a highlight reel that makes me think this kid is 1) athletic or 2) quick on his feet. I'm not going to go as far as saying he is as slow as rasho, but he isnt exactly nimble either.

You cant make a statement about someone's basketball IQ after watching a few highlights, bball IQ is something one notices over time, or at least after seeing a couple of complete games. Obviously a guy is going to do something good with the basketball in a clip on youtube. His D looks average to decent from what i can tell, a guy that doesnt rebound or block shots in europe isnt going to rebound or block shots in the NBA.

and again, i dont get how you can say this dude is smarter on the court than elson...based on a highlight reel....playing in a different league.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Im not sure why you think I equate playing in europe with being slow....
Because he isn't all that slow.....okay he's no Tony Parker....what the hell do you want DRob? I assume this this because really I can see no other basis
for you saying he is slow footed. Besides, speed isn't everything.

I'll tell you who kinda reminds me of...I may be crazy though...Jack Sikma. If he turns out to be similar to Sikma, I'd be very happy with him.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:05 PM
You cant make a statement about someone's basketball IQ after watching a few highlights,
One problem with this statement is I have watched more than "a few highlights" on You tube....I have actually watched real time game footage...like 10-15 segments. You are the one that seems to be basing there opinion on "a few highlights".

Obviously a guy is going to do something good with the basketball in a clip on youtube.
If you can show me other clips of him to support your POV, then by all means put them here on this forum and I'll check them out....then we'll see and compare thoughts.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:05 PM
splitter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIxHb1c7WQU)
You need to check out this clip along with actually watch real time game film before you make such comments as "he can't shoot...he's an inside player....etc". Maybe those people doing the write-ups actually have seen him play and not just go on the box score stats. There are alot of other aspects of the game that never show up in the box score.

In this clip he dunks more in this than Rasho did during an entire season. He makes a few baseline jumpers, one at the top of the key, end even one around the 3pt line. Sure, he can improve....every player can....even Timmy (at the free throw line). "He isn't a dominant force inside"....again watch more than just box scores and 10 second clips to make a judgment. He is alot more dominant than Rasho ever was even on his best days.

It was rumored that he can shoot...and im sure anyone can work hard enough to find a few clips of him making shots, but that doesnt mean he'll be a consistant shooter in the nba.....besides most people that cant shoot 60% FTs tend to be poor shooters

and its a fucking highlight reel. none of those dunks look particularly strong either

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:07 PM
besides most people that cant shoot 60% FTs tend to be poor shooters

Is duncan a poor shooter?

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:08 PM
His D looks average to decent from what i can tell, a guy that doesnt rebound or block shots in europe isnt going to rebound or block shots in the NBA.

just because hes a bad rebounder in euroleague doesn't mean he'll be a bad rebounder in the NBA.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:10 PM
It was rumored that he can shoot...and im sure anyone can work hard enough to find a few clips of him making shots, but that doesnt mean he'll be a consistant shooter in the nba.....besides most people that cant shoot 60% FTs tend to be poor shooters

and its a fucking highlight reel. none of those dunks look particularly strong either
Did you actually watch other real time game clips or do you just watch what people post?

Search Tiago Splitter on YouTube and you will find actual game footage of 10-15 spurts that aren't highlights. I am basing my opinion on those as well.

As for your thought on free throws...it can also work the other way around to an extent....just ask Bruce, or Shaq.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Because he isn't all that slow.....okay he's no Tony Parker....what the hell do you want DRob? I assume this this because really I can see no other basis
for you saying he is slow footed.

Look, all I'm saying is this kid doesn't look fast and or athletic to me based on the clips I've seen (probably all the same one's you have seen because the links are all over this forum) so i don't think that he will improve much once he gets here.

I think Tiago projects as a bench player that plays 10 to 15 minutes per night, and gets you a few hustle points now and then and maybe he grabs a few boards once in a while too. I don't think Tiago is going to develop into anything more than he is right now though. If anything his numbers should drop precipitously once he gets here.

I'll tell you who kinda reminds me of...I may be crazy though...Jack Sikma. If he turns out to be similar to Sikma, I'd be very happy with him.

Ehhh.... i dont see it, Sikma was a great shooter, an amazing FT shooter for a big man, and he was much more polished than this Kid....and a much better rebounder.

Needless to say however, i would not complain if mr. skinner has a similar career, but i dont think it will happen.

That and I dont think sikma would do well in today's nba, not athletic enough probably

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Is duncan a poor shooter?

outside of 10-13 ft on the left block going glass....yes. I dont consider duncan a good jump shooter by any stretch

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:19 PM
just because hes a bad rebounder in euroleague doesn't mean he'll be a bad rebounder in the NBA.

yes it does.

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:20 PM
outside of 10-13 ft on the left block going glass....yes. I dont consider duncan a good jump shooter by any stretch

yeah his jumper blows :lol :rolleyes

Hustle points and 10 to 15 minutes a game?

:lol

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:21 PM
yes it does.

nothing like changing things around to fit your arguement.

Lovely your hating on the guy before hes played minute 1 though.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:22 PM
That and I dont think sikma would do well in today's nba, not athletic enough probably
There are some "not-so-quick" players that have made a solid career:
Vlade
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Perdue
Even our own Fabs
There are probably others.

I think Tiago projects as a bench player that plays 10 to 15 minutes per night, and gets you a few hustle points now and then and maybe he grabs a few boards once in a while too.
I think you are under-estimating his abilities.

It sounds to me you want DRob....well DRob is not coming through the door.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:24 PM
nothing like changing things around to fit your arguement.

Lovely your hating on the guy before hes played minute 1 though.

Ok, well im not sure how else to answer your statement. Imagine making that statement about a guy in college though... "just because he was a bad rebounder at duke, doesnt mean he wont be a good rebounder on the spurs..."

wtf are you talking about?
the kid is 22 years old. not 18

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:24 PM
He wanted Josh McRoberts :lmao

The Sixers who are DESPERATE for powerforwards passed over the guy like a million times.

That should tell you something.

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:25 PM
wtf are you talking about?
the kid is 22 years old. not 18

Yup, fit him for his walker.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Now I know you don't watch games alot.....if you did you'd see Timmy taking that top of the key jumper...and consistently making it.......this beyond the FT line(15ft).

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:26 PM
That top of the key jumper is one of Duncan's semi consistent shots.

its about an 18 20 footer.

But yeah, he can't hit a jumper to save his life.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:27 PM
There are some "not-so-quick" players that have made a solid career:
Vlade
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Perdue
Even our own Fabs
There are probably others.

I think you are under-estimating his abilities.

It sounds to me you want DRob....well DRob is not coming through the door.

Hell yeah I want Drob, me and the rest of the forum. That doesnt mean that Im not rooting for Splitter to succeed, he just isnt a super star in the making, that's all.

Sure he could be solid, but he isnt going to be an all star. If you're looking for someone with top end potential in the spurs system than look at Ian Mahinimi, an amazing athlete that's very raw and 2 years younger than splitter

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:29 PM
That top of the key jumper is one of Duncan's semi consistent shots.

its about an 18 20 footer.

But yeah, he can't hit a jumper to save his life.

you annoy me Tpark.

Yeah we have all seen duncan make that shot, so obviously he can shoot a jump shoot. That doesn't mean he's a good fucking jump shooter you stupid fat troll.

why do you take everything anyone says and go to the extreme with it?

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:31 PM
stupid fat troll?

Thats adult.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Hell yeah I want Drob, me and the rest of the forum. That doesnt mean that Im not rooting for Splitter to succeed, he just isnt a super star in the making, that's all.

Sure he could be solid, but he isnt going to be an all star. If you're looking for someone with top end potential in the spurs system than look at Ian Mahinimi, an amazing athlete that's very raw and 2 years younger than splitter
I never said he was going to be an all-star...geez :rolleyes I would be very happy if he did. I think he could be a solid contributor for the Spurs in the future. If he doesn't pan out....then I'll admit it...I thought the same about Beno and now don't think he needs to be a Spur any longer.
I just think he will be better than you give credit for. From what I have seen, I think he has a great upside and shows the foundation of being a solid NBA player be it with the Spurs or someone else. I think he would be an upgrade over Elson or Ely.

Of course we all want DRob...but it seems you want every player to be just as good. You want your cake and eat it too.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:37 PM
He wanted Josh McRoberts :lmao

The Sixers who are DESPERATE for powerforwards passed over the guy like a million times.

That should tell you something.

Yeah....the sixers management fucking sucks.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:37 PM
stupid fat troll?

Thats adult.

it sounded better in my head

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:38 PM
you annoy me Tpark.

Yeah we have all seen duncan make that shot, so obviously he can shoot a jump shoot. That doesn't mean he's a good fucking jump shooter you stupid fat troll.

why do you take everything anyone says and go to the extreme with it?
Because you posted this?

yes. I dont consider duncan a good jump shooter by any stretch
Calling T Park a big fat troll?
I may disagree with T Park alot...but he is not a troll....fat? I don't know him personally....maybe compared to Callista Flockhart.

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:39 PM
....maybe compared to Callista Flockhart.

compared to Jim Belushi.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:39 PM
it sounded better in my head
Maybe it should have stayed there.

That sounded rude...oh well.

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah....the sixers management fucking sucks.

where did he get drafted, 48?

So does the Spurs management suck too for passing over Cherokee Parks errrrrr Josh McRoberts?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I never said he was going to be an all-star...geez :rolleyes I would be very happy if he did. I think he could be a solid contributor for the Spurs in the future. If he doesn't pan out....then I'll admit it...I thought the same about Beno and now don't think he needs to be a Spur any longer.
I just think he will be better than you give credit for. From what I have seen, I think he has a great upside and shows the foundation of being a solid NBA player be it with the Spurs or someone else. I think he would be an upgrade over Elson or Ely.

Of course we all want DRob...but it seems you want every player to be just as good. You want your cake and eat it too.

i don't get it then, i already described him being a solid contributor, getting hustle points, grabbing a few boards once in a while...that's solid. Maybe he will be slightly better than elson...it wouldnt take much, all he has to do is learn how to stay on the court by not fouling every 5 seconds.

Top end potential for splitter is a slightly more effective version of Olberto, who can alter a few more shots with his height (but not many)

and im not expecting anything from any pick the spurs get at #28. at that point getting a solid player is really all that matters

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Calling T Park a big fat troll?
I may disagree with T Park alot...but he is not a troll....fat? I don't know him personally....maybe compared to Callista Flockhart.

No tpark is a pretty fat guy

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:43 PM
compared to Jim Belushi.
Since I don't know you personally....I pick the skinniest celebrity I knew.....anyone has more girth than Flockhart...I couldn't miss.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:46 PM
where did he get drafted, 48?

So does the Spurs management suck too for passing over Cherokee Parks errrrrr Josh McRoberts?

Look, the spurs have passed on monta ellis, carlos boozer, josh howard, paul millsap, just to name a few, in the last 4 years

And i like the way josh mcroberts plays, he can take it strong to the hole, he has a consistant jumper, he is a pretty good shot blocker, and he is an excellent passer for a big man.

so yeah i would rather have mcroberts than splitter, but im not a gm, so who gives a fuck, i guess we'll see in a few years

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:47 PM
It was more of a joke.

No tpark is a pretty fat guy

Whats that got to do with Tiago Splitter?

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:47 PM
And i like the way josh mcroberts plays, he can take it strong to the hole, he has a consistant jumper, he is a pretty good shot blocker, and he is an excellent passer for a big man.

Just because he does it in college, doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA.

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Look, the spurs have passed on monta ellis, carlos boozer, josh howard, paul millsap, just to name a few, in the last 4 years

So thats a yes on the Spurs management sucks?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Just because he does it in college, doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA.

well at least he does it in college, splitter doesnt do any of those things

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
So thats a yes on the Spurs management sucks?

No, but it's a yes that spurs management can be wrong on draft day once in a while... you see, you're fucking doing it again.

point to a place where i said that

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:51 PM
i don't get it then, i already described him being a solid contributor, getting hustle points, grabbing a few boards once in a while...that's solid. Maybe he will be slightly better than elson...it wouldnt take much, all he has to do is learn how to stay on the court by not fouling every 5 seconds.

Top end potential for splitter is a slightly more effective version of Olberto, who can alter a few more shots with his height (but not many)

and im not expecting anything from any pick the spurs get at #28. at that point getting a solid player is really all that matters
I think he could be a bigger contributor than you think he will be.
You keep impying that he is not very good.....I see more potential in him than you do. You post this:

I think Tiago projects as a bench player that plays 10 to 15 minutes per night, and gets you a few hustle points now and then and maybe he grabs a few boards once in a while too.
I think he will develop into more than "just a bench player". 10-15 minutes is not too bad.....I just see being more than a few hustle points, a few boards, etc. I think he will be more than that. I actually think he has the potential to make the All-rookie 2nd team.

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:52 PM
No, but it's a yes that spurs management can be wrong on draft day once in a while... you see, you're fucking doing it again.

point to a place where i said that

I'm doing what again? Repeating what your saying?

You said Sixers management sucks

I said spurs passed over him, so does the Spurs management suck?

You answer with "Well theyve passed over so and so and so and so"

So I assumed that meant a yes.

Take a pill dude.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:54 PM
And on the other end of the spectrum....look at the teams that passed on Fabs, Manu, And Tony Parker.
Every team's FO makes mistakes...it is how they deal with them that makes them stand apart from everyone else....the Spurs have shown a near mastery of dealing with "mistakes" like this.

T Park
06-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Tiago's competition is alot tougher than Cherokee McRobert's comp.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:55 PM
the sixers suck because they need a pf and they passed on mcroberts twice.

i was merely stating that the spurs can miss a player once in a while

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Tiago's competition is alot tougher than Cherokee McRobert's comp.

I'd take the winner of the ACC against the top euro team any day

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Just because a player does something in college doesn't mean it will translate to the NBA well.
How many "great" college player that bust in the NBA? There are quite few.
It is also vice-versa.....some poor college players sometimes turn out to be solid stars.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I'd take the winner of the ACC against the top euro team any day
OOOOkkaaay :rolleyes

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 03:00 PM
american college players have a much higher success rate than european players at transitioning to the nba.

T Park
06-30-2007, 03:02 PM

OOOOK chief.

You take the Florida Gators, I'll take Tau Ceramica.

No problemo.

velik_m
06-30-2007, 03:03 PM
I always thought Tiago was overrated when he was being mentioned as a lotery pick, but at 28 he's a good pick. He's a good rebounder, his athleticism is good, not spectacular. His shooting and basketball iq are a suspect, but they can be worked on. He's still young (particulary for a big) and has some upside, but then again no that mush. Overall a good pick for the spurs (especially at 28), that i belive will serve them well.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 03:05 PM
american college players have a much higher success rate than european players at transitioning to the nba.
Do you a have link to the numbers to back this up?

Good lord...how many college players NEVER make it to the NBA? They toil in the CBA, NBADL, etc. when others are getting called up?
Actually I think it is the other way around....why else would NBA teams calling on these Euro players for....because they can't play? If the NCAA player would rely less on being on ESPN's highlights than actually playing team ball like they do in the Euro league maybe I would agree....but I don't.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 03:06 PM

OOOOK chief.

You take the Florida Gators, I'll take Tau Ceramica.

No problemo.

done, and it would be no contest

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 03:08 PM
done, and it would be no contest
Yep....you'd lose.
Just don't moan about it being pro players vs. college amateurs.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Do you a have link to the numbers to back this up?

Good lord...how many college players NEVER make it to the NBA? They toil in the CBA, NBADL, etc. when others are getting called up?
Actually I think it is the other way around....why else would NBA teams calling on these Euro players for....because they can't play? If the NCAA player would rely less on being on ESPN's highlights than actually playing team ball like they do in the Euro league maybe I would agree....but I don't.

ok statistically you're right. but pragmatically, think about how many european players have actually established themselves here. not a whole lot really

RobinsontoDuncan
06-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Yep....you'd lose.
Just don't moan about it being pro players vs. college amateurs.

yeah somehow i doubt that, especially with sir chokes a lot mr. louis scola playing on tau

T Park
06-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Tau would school them so bad it wouldnt even be funny are you kidding me....

Talk about prejudice.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 03:17 PM
ok statistically you're right. but pragmatically, think about how many european players have actually established themselves here. not a whole lot really
Gee....I wonder if it is because they are already being paid to play big money over there. Because the NBA teams can't pay enough to buyout contracts?

Those college players need to play in alot of other places because they aren't good enough to play in the NBA. Alot aren't good enough for the Euro's either...barely good enough even for lesser leagues.

cherylsteele
06-30-2007, 03:18 PM
yeah somehow i doubt that, especially with sir chokes a lot mr. louis scola playing on tau
Who is Mr. Chokes a alot anyways?
It's not Dirk is it? :lol