PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix trade James Jones to Portland for future considerations

kolko
06-29-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92451?source=rss&dest=STY-92451

dallaskd
06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
They never stop dealing.

kolko
06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I believe the future consideration is a trade exception the Blazers got from the Randolph trade.

Shred
06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
This Is The Blockbuster We've All Been Waiting For!!!

Leetonidas
06-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Lame. Jones was a decent player.

BillsCarnage
06-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Damn you to hell Sarver!!!

This franchise will be royally screwed in 3-4yrs as no young talent will have been developed.

Bruno
06-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Suns FO has been one of the worst in the nba for one year. Their cap management is a disaster.

JMarkJohns
06-29-2007, 05:19 PM
i thought james jones was supposed to get them Charlotte's 8th? [/monosylab1k]

:lol this guy sucks

If you read the Phoenix papers, they made it sound as if a deal was in place with Charlotte, but when Wright fell to them, and Golden State came a calling, they backed out and took the Warriors offer, leaving the Suns to sell out and their fanbase short.

They never mentioned the exact specifics, but they mentioned Jones, picks, including the 2008 Atl 1st, and even Thomas. Nothing swayed them.

SpursDynasty
06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the Spurs beat Phoenix in the playoffs next year. It's fun when one team gets to toy around with another team, SA has beaten Phoenix in 2005 and 2007, and in both those seasons Phoenix won 62 games, only to lose to the superior Spurs. It's fun watching these teams get their hopes up over a couple of lucky regular season wins here and there: Dallas and Phoenix

Even if Phoenix gets Garnett, they're still getting no further than the 2nd round. They should just trade Nash, Amare, and Marion and re-build, instead of getting their hopes up and falling into more disappointment.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-29-2007, 05:24 PM

This franchise will be royally screwed in 3-4yrs as no young talent will have been developed.

If we're relying on James Jones and the 24th pick to be our future talent, then we're fucked anyways. This guy wouldn't no offense if it smacked him upside the head. Alando Tucker is a fine replacement, and a guy who actually has the chance to develop into a decent player.

Xylus
06-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Okay...so now we have 7 legitimate players that D'Antoni will play:

Nash
Bell
Barbosa
Marion
Diaw
Amare
Thomas

That isn't going to cut it.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Okay...so now we have 7 legitimate players that D'Antoni will play:

Nash
Bell
Barbosa
Marion
Diaw
Amare
Thomas

That isn't going to cut it.

I think that you can add Tucker to that list. And hopefully D'Antoni removes his head from his ass and actually uses the bench players that we have.

mardigan
06-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I think that you can add Tucker to that list. And hopefully D'Antoni removes his head from his ass and actually uses the bench players that we have.
I dont know how Tucker will fit with the Suns, he cant shoot or dribble. I guess he can be develpoed, but Fernandez would have been a much better fit, even if you had to wait a year on him

OldDirtMcGirt
06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont know how Tucker will fit with the Suns, he cant shoot or dribble. I guess he can be develpoed, but Fernandez would have been a much better fit, even if you had to wait a year on him

Well Shawn Marion couldn't shoot for Beans when he came out. Same with Barbosa. Tucker reminds me alot of Josh Howard when he first came into the league. Besides, we need less shooting and more slashing.

mardigan
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Well Shawn Marion couldn't shoot for Beans when he came out. Same with Barbosa. Tucker reminds me alot of Josh Howard when he first came into the league. Besides, we need less shooting and more slashing.
yea, well Marions also 6-7 and had dribbling skills when he came out.
Tuckers listed at 6-6, but thats pushing it, closer to 6-5, and not much of a wingspan. He has no where near the skill set of a Howard or Marion coming out, also doesnt have their size. He might turn out to be good, but I really think its more likely he sucks

OldDirtMcGirt
06-29-2007, 07:17 PM
yea, well Marions also 6-7 and had dribbling skills when he came out.
Tuckers listed at 6-6, but thats pushing it, closer to 6-5, and not much of a wingspan. He has no where near the skill set of a Howard or Marion coming out, also doesnt have their size. He might turn out to be good, but I really think its more likely he sucks

Howard was 6'6" when he came out. But here's something that I copped from Real GM:

I know it's way too early to start making these type of claims. However, here's some similarities for fun:

-Tucker is 6-6, 210. Howard was 6-6, 207
-Both were taken at pick 29 in round 1.
-Both played all 4 years for a major conference and won conference player of the year their final season.
-Both were consensus first-team All-Americans their senior season
-Tucker averaged 19.9 PPG, 2.0 APG and shot 47% from the field, Howard was at 19.5 PPG, 2.1 APG and 47.7% from the field.

Here's a comparison of both players' college scouting report. These are exact comments, just re-ordered to make a comparison easier:

Howard in 2003
Quote:
Strengths:
1. A rangy wing with good height. Plays big for his size.
2. Has quick hands, and is a solid all around defender, and also a very good man-defender who could become a great defender if he works at it.
3. Has a variety of moves including a baby hook shot, good fakes, and under-the-basket scoop shots.
4. Howard is a great finisher, especially in traffic.
5. He really attacks the glass and his long arms make him a formidable rebounder.
6. Looks quite coachable.
7. Team player with great competiveness and leadership qualities.
8. Vision and passing ability are another asset.
9. Has great intangibles.

Weaknesses:
1. His scoring ability is good but his outside shooting can improve.
2. He will need to develop better range to be a consistent scorer at the next level.
3. Has good handle, but can get careless and must get better at protecting the ball.
4. Howard's athleticism is not overwhelming and his first step isn't as quick as many NBA wing players
5. He has the experience that many players don't, but may have a limited upside.

Tucker
Quote:
Strengths:
1. Possesses an NBA ready body that is strong enough to absorb contact in the lane and finish
2. Physically he has all the tools needed to be a quality defender: quickness, good hands, long arms and intelligence
3. Crafty scorer who uses a number of fakes and his leaping ability to create scoring opportunities for himself
4. Excellent finisher who is blessed with cat like body control to get off even the most difficult shots in traffic
5. Solid rebounder due to his athleticism, long arms and body strength
6. Coachable player with a great work ethic to improve
7. Tough minded player who enjoys physical play and will not back down from a challenge
8. Unselfish player with the willingness to set-up open teammates
9. 9/10 on intangibles

Weaknesses:
1. While blessed with athleticism, he may struggle to shoot consistently enough to play shooting guard
2. Solid three point shooter when his feet are set but struggles to hit with regularity
3. Ball handling, while improved, still isn’t great
4. Despite being a great athlete, Tucker rarely explodes off the dribble due to his average first step
5. While his game has progressed considerably over the past 5 years, one has to wonder how much more he can improve

JMarkJohns
06-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow. That's a great post! I'm not sold on Tucker. Not for the Suns. At least, not for these Suns. But he does work hard, has shown an ability to improve and is a toughminded athlete who can defend and finish in the lane.

You post has gone a long way to convince me of his potential.

Now, he most prove he has it.

:)

Xylus
06-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah, that was a good post. I thought the Tucker pick was a terrible idea until I read your post. If he improves his shooting, he could be a good addition to the bench.

Switchman
06-29-2007, 09:29 PM

Maybe Argentina has a jr team you guys can tap into :hungry:

OldDirtMcGirt
06-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Wow. That's a great post! I'm not sold on Tucker. Not for the Suns. At least, not for these Suns. But he does work hard, has shown an ability to improve and is a toughminded athlete who can defend and finish in the lane.

You post has gone a long way to convince me of his potential.

Now, he most prove he has it.

:)

I seriously think that these picks show a shift of philosophy. Strawberry is an excellent defensive player with no offensive game to speak of, and Tucker is a tough defensive guy as well. If D'Antoni doesn't win it this year, I think that you'll finally see Kerr pull the trigger on him.

picnroll
06-29-2007, 10:01 PM
If you read the Phoenix papers, they made it sound as if a deal was in place with Charlotte, but when Wright fell to them, and Golden State came a calling, they backed out and took the Warriors offer, leaving the Suns to sell out and their fanbase short.

They never mentioned the exact specifics, but they mentioned Jones, picks, including the 2008 Atl 1st, and even Thomas. Nothing swayed them.
Thank God for MJ. GOAT. Still killing the Suns but this time with bad moves instead of good ones.
:toast

BillsCarnage
06-30-2007, 01:25 AM
If we're relying on James Jones and the 24th pick to be our future talent, then we're fucked anyways. This guy wouldn't no offense if it smacked him upside the head. Alando Tucker is a fine replacement, and a guy who actually has the chance to develop into a decent player.

They should have taken Splitter at 24; he would have cost them nothing. But, they would have had his rights to do something with in the future. Cash now gets you nothing in the future.

They did the same thing last year and i was fine w/ it because they were under the cap, managed to dump Grants contract, the draft was weak overall and they still had money to go after some vets, though they blew that.

They didn't have that luxury this year which is why they needed to stock up in the draft in one form or another (moving up or using their picks). Tucker is solid, but may take a year or two to develop into an NBA player.

So far the Suns are 0'fer for "modeling themselves after the Spurs" and, frankly, have done a piss poor job of doing anything right from a front office stand point.

I don't know about that.. He did break Finley's scoring record at 'sconsin.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-30-2007, 01:55 AM
The thing is, while Splitter might not have cost us anything this year, Kurt Thomas does in fact cost us something, and we need the money to pay him. Kurt is a much more important piece than Splitter at this point.

Shred
06-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the Spurs beat Phoenix in the playoffs next year. It's fun when one team gets to toy around with another team, SA has beaten Phoenix in 2005 and 2007, and in both those seasons Phoenix won 62 games, only to lose to the superior Spurs. It's fun watching these teams get their hopes up over a couple of lucky regular season wins here and there: Dallas and Phoenix

Even if Phoenix gets Garnett, they're still getting no further than the 2nd round. They should just trade Nash, Amare, and Marion and re-build, instead of getting their hopes up and falling into more disappointment.

"Toy?" That just's stupid....And given the amount of Garnett-to-Phoenix obsession on these boards lately, even Spur fan has to admit he's scared of that scenario.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2007, 11:45 AM

Dude we know that there's a rivalry here between our teams, but get the fuck outta here with that shit. That's just stupid.

jag
06-30-2007, 05:33 PM

Jones is a lot better than some of the other garbage you call a bench.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Jones is a lot better than some of the other garbage you call a bench.

I would much prefer if D'Antoni played Jalen Rose over Jones, but of course he won't because he's an idiot. Jones was horribly streaker and shot 37% fromthe field. He'll hardly be missed.

mardigan
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't know about that.. He did break Finley's scoring record at 'sconsin.
Yea, and it took him a whole extra year to do it, impressiveIm sorry guys, I know your trying to look at the bright side, but Tucker is going to suck. 5th year senior that really didnt improve that much his last 2 years that isnt a good passer, turns the ball over to much, sucks at ft shooting, and is a 6-5 power forward dont have a huge success ratios

mardigan
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Your a douche, and the worst poster ever

jag
06-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I would much prefer if D'Antoni played Jalen Rose over Jones, but of course he won't because he's an idiot. Jones was horribly streaker and shot 37% fromthe field. He'll hardly be missed.

I read many suns forums during the postseason and i saw this argument quite a bit.

I dont think you guys have any idea how bad JR sucks at this point in his career. He wouldnt be 2nd string for the bobcats. I'm pretty sure he's already coped with the idea of not actually playing basketball, He's worried about getting on full time for ESPN.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-30-2007, 06:38 PM
I read many suns forums during the postseason and i saw this argument quite a bit.

I dont think you guys have any idea how bad JR sucks at this point in his career. He wouldnt be 2nd string for the bobcats. I'm pretty sure he's already coped with the idea of not actually playing basketball, He's worried about getting on full time for ESPN.

There's no way you could convince me that Jalen is worse than guys like Jacque Vaughn who see time with the Spurs. During Jalen's sparse minutes, he actually performed pretty well. Guys like Jalen, Jumain Jones, and Marcus Banks went from seeing good minutes to being scrubs on the Suns. I'm sure if these guys got more opportunities, they could be effective bench contributers.

jag
06-30-2007, 09:14 PM
There's no way you could convince me that Jalen is worse than guys like Jacque Vaughn who see time with the Spurs. During Jalen's sparse minutes, he actually performed pretty well. Guys like Jalen, Jumain Jones, and Marcus Banks went from seeing good minutes to being scrubs on the Suns. I'm sure if these guys got more opportunities, they could be effective bench contributers.

Jacque - Plays 10 min a game on a championship team

Jalen - sees 1:30 of garbage time on a playoff team

Jacque > than Jalen

I shouldnt have to convince you of anything. I'm not what you'd call a "jacque fan", in fact, i dont think he's good at all. I really would like to see the spurs get rid of him. That being said, i'd rather keep beno and jacque for the next 5 years than have jalen come in as parker's backup at any point of any game.

Johnny RIngo
06-30-2007, 11:38 PM
The Phoenix implosion continues!

Xylus
06-30-2007, 11:46 PM
The Phoenix implosion continues!
Whatever will we do without James Jones?!

:lol

OldDirtMcGirt
07-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Yea, and it took him a whole extra year to do it, impressiveIm sorry guys, I know your trying to look at the bright side, but Tucker is going to suck. 5th year senior that really didnt improve that much his last 2 years that isnt a good passer, turns the ball over to much, sucks at ft shooting, and is a 6-5 power forward dont have a huge success ratios

Well at least Phoenix has been one of the few teams to have success with 6-5 power forwards.

Findog
07-01-2007, 12:54 AM
"Toy?" That just's stupid....And given the amount of Garnett-to-Phoenix obsession on these boards lately, even Spur fan has to admit he's scared of that scenario.

Hey, SpursDynasty is just making the posts he's supposed to make. All these other posters are just flukes barely able to hit the submit reply button. I'm afraid that you just can't handle the superior game that SpursDynasty brings to the table. Come back stronger instead of just whining about it.

YHBT. HAND.

Jeremy
07-01-2007, 12:54 AM

Actually, you're wrong. He only played 4 games his second year and scored only 56 points (that's why he got to play 5 years). Without those 56 points, he still would have broken Finley's record in his 4 full years.

Findog
07-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Whatever will we do without James Jones?!

Seriously, in terms of importance, he's part of your core. You better hang on to Pat Burke and Sean Marks if you wanna have a prayer of competing with Dallas or San Antonio next year.

Xylus
07-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Seriously, in terms of importance, he's part of your core. You better hang on to Pat Burke and Sean Marks if you wanna have a prayer of competing with Dallas or San Antonio next year.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Findog
07-01-2007, 01:20 AM
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I'm being facetious. SpursDynasty...I can't really tell. It's possible he's a troll posting the most inflammatory, illogical stuff possible to get a reaction...or he really believes what he posts, the endless venom towards teams other than his own, which would point towards the possibility of mental illness.

Xylus
07-01-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm being facetious. SpursDynasty...I can't really tell. It's possible he's a troll posting the most inflammatory, illogical stuff possible to get a reaction...or he really believes what he posts, the endless venom towards teams other than his own, which would point towards the possibility of mental illness.

mardigan
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Actually, you're wrong. He only played 4 games his second year and scored only 56 points (that's why he got to play 5 years). Without those 56 points, he still would have broken Finley's record in his 4 full years.
Well, even taking those 4 games away he still played 15 more games than Finley, and only scored 70 more points in those 15 extra games