PDA

View Full Version : Brevin Knight is a Free Man

drmvp
06-29-2007, 02:43 PM
I'd take him :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2921077

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Charlotte Bobcats waived veteran Brevin Knight on Friday, leaving the team without a backup point guard.

Knight had a buyout clause in his contract worth $1.5 million. He was scheduled to make just over $4 million next season.

Knight was one of the Bobcats' first free-agent signings and started in the team's inaugural season in 2004-05. The Bobcats drafted Raymond Felton with the fifth pick in the 2005 draft, and he eventually replaced Knight in the starting lineup.

The 31-year-old Knight averaged 9.1 points and 6.6 assists per game last season, but was limited to 45 games. Charlotte was Knight's seventh team since being Cleveland's first round pick in 1997.

"The professionalism that he brought to this team, both on and off the court, makes this a tough decision," said Bernie Bickerstaff, Charlotte's vice president of basketball operations. "His contributions to this young franchise will continue to have an impact on our younger players as we move forward."

The move means the Bobcats will likely need to sign another point guard before next season to back up Felton, who averaged 14 points and seven assists last season.

The Bobcats acquired Jeff McInnis midway through last season, but he averaged only 4.3 points and 3.3 assists in 38 games. It's uncertain if he'll return next season.

genghisrex
06-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:45 PM
HOT DIGGITY DAMN

SIGN HIM!!

GOODBYE BENO!!!

I might cry if they sign him and get rid of Beno. A dream come TRUE!!!!

mardigan
06-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Me and Bruno were just talking about this, and he pointed out to me Knights very, very injury prone, and we need consistency. His assist and steal stats make him look like a nice option until you look at games played. hes only played 70 plus games once in his career

T Park
BTW, trade em Beno for a second rounder next year, or see if you could work out a Barry Beno for Herrmann deal.

BacktoBasics
He's better than Vaughn and Beno. If the price is right he'd be a great back up and he isn't all that old. I like a vet for backup PG over most bench spots.

E20
06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Would Knight average his APG numbers on a team like the Spurs?

MoSpur
06-29-2007, 02:50 PM
I would sign him. He is a solid backup point

MoSpur
06-29-2007, 02:51 PM
BTW, trade em Beno for a second rounder next year, or see if you could work out a Barry Beno for Herrmann deal.

You wouldn't have to trade for him because he was waived.

genghisrex
06-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Me and Bruno were just talking about this, and he pointed out to me Knights very, very injury prone, and we need consistency. His assist and steal stats make him look like a nice option until you look at games played
Bingo. He's not a bad defender, but he's a midget, can't shoot, and plays 50-60 games a season.

Big P
06-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Orien Green, 6'4" PG was released from the Pacers. Could be a nice project.

The Indiana Pacers announced Friday they waived Orien Greene. The 6-4 guard played in 41 games for the Pacers last season, averaging 2.6 points. The Pacers picked up Greene on waivers from Boston, July 9, 2006. [READ]

AnkleBreaker21
06-29-2007, 03:21 PM
i dont care who we get, anybody has to better then beno or vaughn. parker needs a decent backup

Brutalis
06-29-2007, 03:24 PM
BK is experienced and makes smart decisions passing. Nab em'

SenorSpur
06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Mavs are also in the market for a PG.

BeerIsGood!
06-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Why are people so down on Vaughn? The guy is a team leader, very capable backup who ran the offense well in the PO and even started hitting the open J (which his correctly didn't take too often) with regularity. He even was the focal point of a big adjustment by Pop in the Suns series, and he executed the plays well in that adjustment. There's no way I want to lose him off this team unless he demands too much money. The guy's a leader and proved himself a good pressure performer this season, plus he actually hustles his ass off and plays defense. I'd like to get another backup PG to replace Beno, but not Vaughn.

Did any of you actually watch the Playoffs?

SenorSpur
06-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Why are people so down on Vaughn? The guy is a team leader, very capable backup who ran the offense well in the PO and even started hitting the open J (which his correctly didn't take too often) with regularity. He even was the focal point of a big adjustment by Pop in the Suns series, and he executed the plays well in that adjustment. There's no way I want to lose him off this team unless he demands too much money. The guy's a leader and proved himself a good pressure performer this season, plus he actually hustles his ass off and plays defense. I'd like to get another backup PG to replace Beno, but not Vaughn.

I prefer Vaughn over Knight.

thispego
06-29-2007, 03:32 PM

no shit, what's with peoples' disdain for vaughn?

T Park
06-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I prefer a guy that can knock down a jumpshot and someone that doesnt suck horribly at times like Vaughn did.

Vaughn is a THIRD STRING point.

Period.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2007, 03:35 PM
this guy is a journey man who has managed to stay in the nba for his career, i say we should sign him and make him feel what it feels like to be a winner, we had alot of guys over the years on this spurs team who were either scrubs, or journeymen....

ducks
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
may gut says he is a cav

spurster
06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Vaughn was started to play better at the end of the regular season, but was often a liability in the playoffs (a paltry 2.2 PPG among other things). However, I think he will play better during his second year on the Spurs.

ducks
06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
he can start with the cavs

MoSpur
06-29-2007, 03:48 PM
The Cavs, Hawks, and Detroit I believe might also have interest in him.

ducks
06-29-2007, 03:51 PM
hawks no
cavs yes
pistons yes
I think knight wants to start
he will be on tv every game because if he goes to cavs they are on tv every game

50 cent
06-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm fine with Vaughn. I thought he did well in the Playoffs. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Brevin over Beno though.

BeerIsGood!
06-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Vaughn was started to play better at the end of the regular season, but was often a liability in the playoffs (a paltry 2.2 PPG among other things). However, I think he will play better during his second year on the Spurs.

You don't measure a guy like Vaughn with his PPG because his role isn't to score. His role is to run the offense smoothly and facilitate the ball moving through TD or Manu as well as doing his part in smooth ball rotation to open shooters. His job is also to play defense and be tenacious. He does all of those things well, and in addition is a locker room and floor leader. I thought he played well during the PO and did everything a backup PG is supposed to do.

That said, I would like to get a bigger PG to supplant Beno, mainly for matchup reasons. Since TP and Vaughn are both small, a bigger PG could be useful in matchups against guys like Deron Williams.

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:56 PM
You don't measure a guy like Vaughn with his PPG because his role isn't to score. His role is to run the offense smoothly and facilitate the ball moving through TD or Manu as well as doing his part in smooth ball rotation to open shooters. His job is also to play defense and be tenacious. He does all of those things well, and in addition is a locker room and floor leader. I thought he played well during the PO and did everything a backup PG is supposed to do.

That said, I would like to get a bigger PG to supplant Beno, mainly for matchup reasons. Since TP and Vaughn are both small, a bigger PG could be useful in matchups against guys like Deron Williams.

Well, when the ball gets swung around to Vaughn when hes been doubled and what not, hes gotta make points and keep the defense honest.

Remember, during the phoenix series, he was so bad shooting, Pop had to put him under the basket to keep Phoenix from spreading out the D.

michaelwcho
06-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Vaughn seemed to get better in the later rounds, at least to my eyes. He hit some important shots. I don't know...obviously he is contributing more tahn Beno. It's Beno who has to go, not Vaughn. Another player to compete couldn't hurt.

BeerIsGood!
06-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, when the ball gets swung around to Vaughn when hes been doubled and what not, hes gotta make points and keep the defense honest.

Remember, during the phoenix series, he was so bad shooting, Pop had to put him under the basket to keep Phoenix from spreading out the D.

Pop didn't make that adjustment because Vaughn couldn't hit a shot, he made that adjustment because a Bowen corner three or a Vaughn layup are better shots. He put Barbosa in a catch-22 and Barbosa did the correct thing in taking the layup away, which gave Bowen wide open looks. The point is that Vaughn made the plays on the adjustment - he read Barbosa and made the correct play every time.

Is his jumpshot the best? No. But I think his upside and contributions as a reserve point far outweigh his jumpshot limitations. Besides, in the Utah and Cleveland series he made the open J at a consistent clip. I think you have to bring him back if he's not asking too much. Who else would you get that would be better, especially considering the Spurs have to be looking to dump Beno's useless (to the Spurs) ass? You want to find 2 PG in FA that can come in and contribute right away?

timvp
06-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Dollar for dollar, Vaughn >> Knight.

CaptainLate
06-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I prefer a guy that can knock down a jumpshot and someone that doesnt suck horribly at times like Vaughn did.

Trade Beno to a team that will end up with a high 2nd round pick (like we got with Milwaukee). Then Knight and Vaughn can compete for TP's backup.

exstatic
06-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Period.
Knight's jumper is worse than Vaughn's.

bigdog
06-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Point guards aren't supposed to be shooters anyways. any PG is always supposed to be the last option in an offense. I was very impressed and satisfied with Vaughn last year. i think theres no doubt he will be back. fuck beno though. he can start packing his bags, I'm pretty sure him and Barry will be gone in a trade.

Steve Blake anyone? haha. he will probably be way overpaid.

Theres also guys like Eddie House,Chucky Atkins, Jannero Pargo, Daniel Ewing, even Jason Hart available.

and of course, Brevin Knight

bigdog
06-29-2007, 09:15 PM
and we could also trade for guys like Damon Jones, Luke the Fluke Ridnour, and I'm pretty sure Chicago will get rid of Chris Duhon

hsxvvd
06-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Vaughn is solid, not saying it wouldn't be nice to have Knight, but he isn't really needed unless Vaughn leaves or we trade Beno. Still not sure why people hate Vaughn so much. I DID WATCH THE PLAYOFFS.

Gros Membres!
06-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Agreed. Thank God someone with sense is on this board. Vaughn hit some huge shots to seal the Phoenix series. When Spurs were down in Game 1 vs. Phoenix, Vaughn came out and hustled his ass off after loose balls. He's a defender and a distrubutor (when he's on the floor Gino and Timmy get more opportunities). Vaughn has a great attitude and knows his role on the team. Having Chucky Atkins as the 3rd string PG on this who's used to averaging 14 and 4 can only be dangerous for chemistry and locker room vibes.