View Full Version : Spurs Roster and Prospects

El_Mago
06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
PG's: Tony Parker, Beno Udrih, Jacque Vaughn
SG's: Michael Finley, Manu Ginobili, Brent Barry
SF's: Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, James White,
PF's: Tim Duncan, Robert Horry, Matt Bonner Melvin Ely
C's: Frabricio Oberto, Francisco Elson, Jackie Butler

Prospects: C Sergei Karalouv; PF/C Ian Mahinmi; PF/C Tiago Splitter; PF Luis Scola; SF Viktor Sanikidze; SF Marcus Williams

I do not expect Melvin Ely to return to the team.

Thus, at least one roster spot will be open.

James White should be back on the team, but he must show improvement in the Summer League and Training Camp.

Beno Udrih could be shipped away, but something tells me he will be around next season.

Fabricio Oberto wants to stay, but if he goes, San Antonio can move up Jackie Butler on the roster and make a move for Ian Mahinmi.

Does the last roster spot (Ely being gone) go to Marcus Williams? He would come cheap and can be sent down to the Toro's and brought up threw out the season...ala....James White.

So, what do you guy's for see happening with the roster?

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2007, 07:02 PM
It's way too early to tell. I think that the core of:

Parker
Duncan
Ginobili
Bowen
Finley
Oberto
Elson

are definitely here for 2007-2008

Most likely to be gone if a better deal comes along are:

Udrih
Barry
White
Butler
Bonner

At this point Spurs will keep Horry if no FA deals are done but the fact that he wants to come back for one more year does not obligate the Spurs if a better deal comes along and they need the roster spot.

Take the rest of those guys that aren't locked into overseas contracts and you've got a pretty good start on a roster for the new D league team.

T Park
06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
disagree with the Horry point .....

HOPEFULLY

Udrih and Barry are gone, so that opens up a spot for, a young PG, a good shooter that has guts to replace him.

Hopefully also James White busts his tail, and somehow could force pop to consider him in a Stephen Jackson role.

mardigan
06-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Ely's gone. Bonners probably gone. Vaughn will probably re-sign. Beno is probably gone via trade.
Outside of that, who knows. Im just hoping that White and Williams both make the team somehow

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2007, 07:13 PM
TPark...I respect Horry a lot, but Spurs are showing that they are definitely looking down the road past 2007-2008. Horry has been good for the Spurs and the Spurs have been good for Horry...he's got two more rings from the relationship. I don't think the Spurs will consider him sacred if they want the roster spot for a young player with major upside though. its just bizness.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Horry's contract is already guaranteed as of this weekend and I don't think they are going to cut him or trade him. So I think he'll be here.

T Park
06-29-2007, 07:39 PM
TPark...I respect Horry a lot, but Spurs are showing that they are definitely looking down the road past 2007-2008. Horry has been good for the Spurs and the Spurs have been good for Horry...he's got two more rings from the relationship. I don't think the Spurs will consider him sacred if they want the roster spot for a young player with major upside though. its just bizness

It may be.

But you keep Horry on your team until he says no mas.

Period.

Sam
06-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Bonner is saying he'll be back unless some other team offers him some outstanding amount that the Spurs won't pay. White is coming back. They are trying to trade Barry, Beno and Butler. May bring Splitter over for summer league and if he does well and can get out of his buyout then put him on the Toros.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Bonner is saying he'll be back unless some other team offers him some outstanding amount that the Spurs won't pay. White is coming back. They are trying to trade Barry, Beno and Butler. May bring Splitter over for summer league and if he does well and can get out of his buyout then put him on the Toros.

Bonner will be back if the Spurs want him back period.

White is the same way. I doubt that the Spurs are actively trying to trade anyone (you mentioned Barry, Beno, Butler) but you never know what might happen with this free agent class. If Grant Hill wants to sign a 2 year LLE-MLE deal then Spurs WILL make roster slots available.

As far as Splitter on the summer league, I would be very surprised. They might bring him over for the summer to hang out with Chip and the trainers but he is a proven commodity.

As far as Splitter playing for the Toros in '07-'08 that won't happen. Tau has him locked up. He will face better competion there than with the Toros anyway.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
I doubt that the Spurs are actively trying to trade anyone

I don't doubt it.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Bonner is saying he'll be back unless some other team offers him some outstanding amount that the Spurs won't pay.

So the Spurs have already told him they are going to make him an offer?

whottt
06-29-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't doubt it.

You don't doubt that CC doubts they are actively trying to trade anyone? Or you don't doubt they are actively trying to trade anyone?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 08:13 PM
You don't doubt that CC doubts they are actively trying to trade anyone? Or you don't doubt they are actively trying to trade anyone?

B.

Sam
06-29-2007, 08:15 PM
So the Spurs have already told him they are going to make him an offer?

Now Kori, that would be illegal. ;) They can't officially talk to him until July 1st. Although he has been told by people not with the management that the Spurs will offer and match any other team's offer up to a certain amount. If another team offers above that set amount then they will be force to let him go if he chooses to sign that offer sheet. Matt's a restricted free agent.

Solid D
06-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Grant Hill had plenty of time to "not talk" with RC while he was in San Antonio during the playoffs.

El_Mago
06-29-2007, 08:43 PM
The fact that Oberto might demand a good chunck of change scares me.

However, he likes the team as a whole, and probably loves playing with them on the floor and the winning.

I would like the Spurs to pursue someone like Brevin Knight or Chucky Atkins. Brevin might be too expensive though.

If Barry and Beno can get shipped I'd be happy.

I would really like to trade Beno for a cap exception.....I'm serious.

bigdog
06-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Brevin Knight was just waived by Charlotte today. He might want a little too much, but who knows. hes solid, and a good veteran. I wanted Chucky Atkins last offseason. he was a guy that I thought the spurs HAD to make an offer for. he can score.

As far as the roster next year, I think Ely is gone, Vaughn comes back, Bonner very well could be gone because of an extreme lack of playing time. Horry and Bowen have to be decided on by the end of the week, and they will both be back.

Beno and Barry will be gone via trade, maybe along with Scola or something.

Russ
06-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Why does everyone want to trade Barry? He an asset come playoff time.

HJNTX
06-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Horry's contract is already guaranteed as of this weekend and I don't think they are going to cut him or trade him. So I think he'll be here.

I feel like he'll be here this year --- and I hope so .. He probably was really tired but, did you think Horry seemed upset at the celebration in the dome?

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 10:00 PM

Not really. Hes a defensive liability and really wasn't making too many shots.

bigfan
06-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Dont we still have that Javtokas guy too? I thought he looked pretty good on video and maybe he's worth a shot.

ploto
06-29-2007, 11:14 PM
I just want to know where people think the Spurs are getting all this money to sign all these guys and stay at or barely above the luxury tax. I just do not see the money there for Bonner, no matter what has been said.

Spurs have about $62M in salary if I remember correctly for 11 guys under contract (TD, TP, Manu, Bruce, Finley, Barry, Beno, Elson, Butler, Horry, White). They need possbily to re-sign Oberto and Vaughn and the high-end, generous luxury tax level estimates I have heard put it at $69 or 70M.

greens
06-30-2007, 12:36 AM

Bowen's contract has been picked up too, right?

T Park
06-30-2007, 12:51 AM

To who, the opposing team?

Get out of here with that BS.

bigdog
06-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Bowen's contract has been picked up too, right?

Hasn't been made official, but it has to be done for Bowen and Horry by tomorrow at midnight.