PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see The Police yet?

Big P
06-29-2007, 07:22 PM
If you haven't, I recommend it. I went to see them in Dallas on Wednesday, it was unbelievable. They sounded perfect. I was really impressed. Definitly in my top 3 as far as concerts go. It was also the first time I have been to the American Airlines Arena, very nice place.

Shelly
06-29-2007, 07:35 PM
yes...back in 1983

dallaskd
06-29-2007, 08:33 PM
If you haven't, I recommend it. I went to see them in Dallas on Wednesday, it was unbelievable. They sounded perfect. I was really impressed. Definitly in my top 3 as far as concerts go. It was also the first time I have been to the American Airlines Arena, very nice place.

American Airlines Center

dallaskd
06-29-2007, 08:33 PM
and for a basketball arena, the AAC is too nice.

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Fuck The Police.

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Wait, are we talking about cops or Sting?

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Let me clarify, fuck cops. Sting is alright.

Buddy Holly
06-29-2007, 08:54 PM
American Airlines Center

The mispelling of the arena name really warrented a correction? Is this thread about The Police the band or the anal police the lame asses.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2007, 11:59 PM
yes...back in 1983

I'm very jealous.

I'm not going to see them now because I think it will all be too polished and produced.

I love The Police in the context of the early '80s when they were like the more mainstream reflection of the punk movement, a bit rough around the edges and rebellious. Now they are a bunch of old guys making some money... kudos to them, but I'd rather listen to the records.

RashoFan
06-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Well...I saw the San Antonio Police today at work...someone was "criminally tresspassing" at my job and he was asked to leave by to police and he resisited arrest.....what a dumbass... :cop

Big P
06-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm very jealous.

I'm not going to see them now because I think it will all be too polished and produced.

I love The Police in the context of the early '80s when they were like the more mainstream reflection of the punk movement, a bit rough around the edges and rebellious. Now they are a bunch of old guys making some money... kudos to them, but I'd rather listen to the records.

Dont let that stop you from seeing them. Yes it is a little polished, but it was still an incredible show & tthe fact that you will probably never be able to see them again, I would say that this is a must see concert. It's not like they have a new album out & are playing new songs no one cares about, they are playing their essential hits, heres a set list

Message in a Bottle
Synchronicity II
Spirits in the Material World (not played in Phoenix or Houston)
Voices Inside My Head/When The World Is Running Down
Don't Stand So Close to Me
Driven To Tears
Walking on the Moon (moved earlier and replaced "Spirits" in Houston)
Truth Hits Everybody
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
The Bed's Too Big Without You (moved earlier and played before "Truth" in Houston)
Murder By Numbers (not played in Oakland, Denver, Phoenix, or Houston)
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking In Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You/Reggatta De Blanc
Roxanne
Encore I:

King of Pain
So Lonely
(steped off stage at Oakland and Dallas here then came back on)

Every Breath You Take
Encore II:

Next To You

Two full hours of solid tunes.

Big P
06-30-2007, 12:17 AM
By the way Ruff, they are playing in

Brisbane-January 20, 2008
Perth-TBA
Melbourne-TBA
Adelaide-TBA

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2007, 12:19 AM
I guess my idea of a police concert is 1000 people jammed into a sweaty university refectory, but if I see them here it will be with 30,000 people in an arena and I'll have to sit in my seat and watch. Screw that, I wanna jump around.

Thanks for the recommendation though. I am a huge Police fan, and a Sting fan (his first 6 solo albums are all very good!).

Glad to see they played King of Pain, probably my favourite Police song.

Big P
06-30-2007, 12:21 AM
No one sat the whole time in Dallas, there was plenty of dancing & jumping around. I was in sec 15 row A, about a stones throw from the stage, I couldn't believe how close we were, honestly I didn't sit down once.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2007, 12:24 AM
No one sat the whole time in Dallas, there was plenty of dancing & jumping around. I was in sec 15 row A, about a stones throw from the stage, I couldn't believe how close we were, honestly I didn't sit down once.

Yeah, but here when they hold big concerts for bands that appeal to the older crowd they screw it up by making it all about sitting and watching. One of my friends was thrown out when he tried to stand up!

If i see The Police, I wanna be at the edge of the moshpit. Depends on the venue. I'll go if it's not going to be full of 50yos and security guards telling me to sit down.

I saw Sting back in the mid 90s and he rocked the freakin house. Twas excellent! :)

Shelly
06-30-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm very jealous.

I think The Thompson Twins opened for them.

mrsmaalox
06-30-2007, 12:46 AM
I saw them in the early 80's when they had more of an edge and it was great. But the way they these old guys put shows on now (lots of money/technology) is mind blowing. My all time top concerts have been the more recent versions of the Eagles and Steely Dan. Absolutely amazing! Like Donald Fagen said, they all have the money now to put on the best of everything, why bother doing it if it's not going to be perfect? I'm sure the Police will be PERFECT. My only problem is with the size of the venues.

katyon6th
06-30-2007, 12:47 AM
yes...back in 1983

Damn, that's the year I was born. No offense. Sting rocks!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I think The Thompson Twins opened for them.

That is SO AWESOME! I have their Best of...

You are my idol. :)

LaMarcus Bryant
06-30-2007, 01:43 AM
LOL I didn't really realize how many good songs The Police had until the dallas radio station Jack FM started playing the police constantly and had a "100 days with the police" contest where htey gave away free tickets for 100 straight days for the concert.

Good stuff, wish I coulda been there :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2007, 02:38 AM
If you haven't, I recommend it. I went to see them in Dallas on Wednesday, it was unbelievable. They sounded perfect. I was really impressed. Definitly in my top 3 as far as concerts go. It was also the first time I have been to the American Airlines Arena, very nice place.I went tuesday. I heard that Wednesday's show wasn't as good. I even heard Stewart was on some sports show and was dogging how bad they sounded. I was thoroughly impressed tuesday night. I had heard bootlegs of this tour and I wasn't too happy with what they were putting out. There were a couple of tunes that I didn't care for the arrangements, but at least I saw them live. I wish I knew about the HD screens they had. I would've bought a $50 ticket and been satisfied. Oh well. I know the DVD will be good. Stewart looked like he needed oxygen in between songs.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2007, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=LaMarcus Bryant]LOL I didn't really realize how many good songs The Police had until the dallas radio station Jack FM started playing the police constantly and had a "100 days with the police" contest where htey gave away free tickets for 100 straight days for the concert./QUOTE]
I wish people knew they had more great songs than Every Breath You Take. Especially after P Cruddy ruined that song for me. He should be shot in the face for demoralizing that song. More so Sting for letting him do it.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2007, 02:42 AM
I saw them in the early 80's when they had more of an edge and it was great. But the way they these old guys put shows on now (lots of money/technology) is mind blowing. My all time top concerts have been the more recent versions of the Eagles and Steely Dan. Absolutely amazing! Like Donald Fagen said, they all have the money now to put on the best of everything, why bother doing it if it's not going to be perfect? I'm sure the Police will be PERFECT. My only problem is with the size of the venues.I dig the Police of the early 80's as well. They didn't have a care in the world and they played like it. Oh well. At least there's bootlegs out there of that era. Tradersden.org if you're not familiar with it.

kingsfan
06-30-2007, 07:56 AM
I saw them in the 80s too and loved it. They're playing here Nov 17th and I want to go but I just don't have the money right now http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif I'll probably regret it.

Thunder Dan
06-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I don't see why it is such a big deal they got back together. Sting has been doing all songs during his solo concerts for years. The only difference between solo Sting and The Police is who are the other 2 guys playing behind him; but who gives a shit who is behind him anyway? It's not like his bandmates have large personalities in the music world, not like say, The Beatles, or even Motley Crue where all the members of the band are equal. This tour is basically just Sting with a different drummer and a different axeman, and these people just happened to be with Sting when he wrote the songs.

I don't mean to be so harsh, but with the ticket prices they charge they act like this is a Beatles reunion tour or something. It's like they acted like there was this forever void to be filled by 2 namless dudes playing with Sting again.

You could hear Roxanne, Every Breath You Take, and every other hit played at a Sting concert for half the price they charge now, the only difference is who is hitting the skins or strumming the guitar; but nobody knows those dudes names anyway. I wouldn't even notice them in a mall, and I'm betting you wouldn't either.

Shelly
06-30-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't see why it is such a big deal they got back together. Sting has been doing all songs during his solo concerts for years. The only difference between solo Sting and The Police is who are the other 2 guys playing behind him; but who gives a shit who is behind him anyway? It's not like his bandmates have large personalities in the music world, not like say, The Beatles, or even Motley Crue where all the members of the band are equal. This tour is basically just Sting with a different drummer and a different axeman, and these people just happened to be with Sting when he wrote the songs.

I don't mean to be so harsh, but with the ticket prices they charge they act like this is a Beatles reunion tour or something. It's like they acted like there was this forever void to be filled by 2 namless dudes playing with Sting again.

You could hear Roxanne, Every Breath You Take, and every other hit played at a Sting concert for half the price they charge now, the only difference is who is hitting the skins or strumming the guitar; but nobody knows those dudes names anyway. I wouldn't even notice them in a mall, and I'm betting you wouldn't either.

I dunno...I'm sure some of us old farts know who Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are.

Thunder Dan
06-30-2007, 10:17 AM
I dunno...I'm sure some of us old farts know who Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are.

would you pay a 45% increase in tickets to see them? and would you even notice the different style of their play compared to someone else? thats what I'm saying. It would be dirrerent if they didn't hype this like none other.

tsb2000
06-30-2007, 10:17 AM
The mispelling of the arena name really warrented a correction? Is this thread about The Police the band or the anal police the lame asses.

Not really, but the American Airlines Arena is in Miami, the American Airlines Center is in Dallas.

Your useless tidbit of information for the day. :)

The Police, sadly, came to Phoenix on my daughter's birthday, so I was hosed. Maybe if I can schedule a business trip around another date....there's a thought! :drunk

Shelly
06-30-2007, 10:22 AM
would you pay a 45% increase in tickets to see them? and would you even notice the different style of their play compared to someone else? thats what I'm saying. It would be dirrerent if they didn't hype this like none other.

Yes.

And maybe some people are fans of the other 2 dudes that no one knows who they are. Maybe they're going to see them instead of Sting.

Shelly
06-30-2007, 10:26 AM
BTW, Thunder Dan...I'm assuming you live in NE Ohio? I used to live in Chesterland.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2007, 10:26 AM
It's not like his bandmates have large personalities in the music world, not like say.............It's like they acted like there was this forever void to be filled by 2 namless dudes playing with Sting again.you're either really young, think hip hop is true music and the best music out there, or just plain ignorant. Stewart has been playing with many groups since the break up. Playing with people such as Stanley Clarke, Les claypool, Trey Anastacio. Writing numerous Movie and TV scores. Andy has released numerous albums since the break. They are by far not "nameless", just not as mainstream as Sting. Hell, tuesday night Stewart got the biggest applause when they introduced him.

leemajors
06-30-2007, 10:33 AM
stanley clarke is the man. stewart did work with primus a bit, produced a track on the brown album and he's in videoplasty. primus also does a cool cover of "behind my camel" on rhinoplasty.

englishspursfan
06-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I ALWAYS thought sting was a wanker on his owm but the police are a different story.kinda like the ..the jam ,great band but weller on his own was shite.

Thunder Dan
06-30-2007, 10:54 AM
BTW, Thunder Dan...I'm assuming you live in NE Ohio? I used to live in Chesterland.

thats awesome, I know that area well. I live in Canton

Thunder Dan
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
you're either really young, think hip hop is true music and the best music out there, or just plain ignorant. Stewart has been playing with many groups since the break up. Playing with people such as Stanley Clarke, Les claypool, Trey Anastacio. Writing numerous Movie and TV scores. Andy has released numerous albums since the break. They are by far not "nameless", just not as mainstream as Sting. Hell, tuesday night Stewart got the biggest applause when they introduced him.

No I'm a big music fan. I used to be a contributing writer for Alternative Press and Scene Magazine in Cleveland while in college. I'll put my music knowledge up against you, or anyone else. I speak the truth, which is: The Police are not as big as they are made out to be. Sting is big. Sting is the reason they are famous. Sting is the reason people will go to a Police concert. But obviously the people are going to cheer other memebers. Those people are the only people who care, and they show it by spending $150 a ticket. It happeneds at every concert, people cheer other members. I'm not saying it's no big deal that they got back together. What I'm saying is it's not as big of deal as they have made it out to be.

Shelly
06-30-2007, 01:30 PM
thats awesome, I know that area well. I live in Canton

We moved to CA in Dec. 82 and I haven't been back since, so I'm sure it's changed a lot. It was a dinky town back then.

hey, whatever happened to the Michael Stanley Band? I remember they had a semi-hit back in the early 80s.

That may be before your time, though!

Big P
06-30-2007, 03:23 PM
No I'm a big music fan. I used to be a contributing writer for Alternative Press and Scene Magazine in Cleveland while in college. I'll put my music knowledge up against you, or anyone else. I speak the truth, which is: The Police are not as big as they are made out to be. Sting is big. Sting is the reason they are famous. Sting is the reason people will go to a Police concert. But obviously the people are going to cheer other memebers. Those people are the only people who care, and they show it by spending $150 a ticket. It happeneds at every concert, people cheer other members. I'm not saying it's no big deal that they got back together. What I'm saying is it's not as big of deal as they have made it out to be.

While I did pay a good amount for my tickets, I wanted to be on the floor, & I am happy I paid what I paid, having said that, I scored 2 more tickets for my friends(who thought they couldn't go because it was sold out) for $20 each(2 hours before the show)...believe me it is worth $20 to see the Police for the last time.

Thunder Dan
07-01-2007, 04:57 PM
We moved to CA in Dec. 82 and I haven't been back since, so I'm sure it's changed a lot. It was a dinky town back then.

hey, whatever happened to the Michael Stanley Band? I remember they had a semi-hit back in the early 80s.

That may be before your time, though!

I know Chesterland well. I dated a girl last year who lived in Russell.

Michael Stanley is still popular here in Cleveland. He is the afternoon DJ at WNCX (Classic Rock), and his band still plays a couple times a year at Blossom in the summer and smaller clubs around New Years. I went to his show a couple years ago at Blossom and there was a pretty big crowd all things considered.

Shelly
07-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Small world...I went to West Geauga.

Is WMMS still around? Home of the Buzzard.