PDA

View Full Version : James Posey - either sign or trade is quite possible

intlspurshk
06-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Link:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-0729heat,0,2895985.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

"Riley said the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax and interest by outside teams make it unlikely Kapono and Posey both will be back, sounding unsure if either impending free agent would return."

Either sign Posey for say 3 million per year for about 3 yrs or trade Barry for Posey (may also add Scola right for D Cook)

Heat needs 3 pt shooting and like veteran. Barry fits this criteria.

Posey can shoot 3pt, get some rebound, has decent quickness, "dirty" and quite strong. He and Bowen could provide v.good defense at SF throughout the game. He is a quick fix and fits the veteran requirements for SPURS FO. He's also not the 1st to 3rd choices of FA in other teams for SF. Competition is not fierce. The only drawback is whether he is willing to accept Pop's orders.

Unless SPURS can sign Scola and trade to Bulls, Nocini is a pipe dream. Pietrus is restricted and GS has more room to match offer now. T Outlaw is the best solution but no tradable players in SPURS interest Portland.

The leftover in cap room can be used to sign PJ Brown for 1 yr if Butler is traded or upgrade the backup PG.

SenorSpur
06-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Link:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-0729heat,0,2895985.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

"Riley said the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax and interest by outside teams make it unlikely Kapono and Posey both will be back, sounding unsure if either impending free agent would return."

Either sign Posey for say 3 million per year for about 3 yrs or trade Barry for Posey (may also add Scola right for D Cook)

Heat needs 3 pt shooting and like veteran. Barry fits this criteria.

Posey can shoot 3pt, get some rebound, has decent quickness, "dirty" and quite strong. He and Bowen could provide v.good defense at SF throughout the game. He is a quick fix and fits the veteran requirements for SPURS FO. He's also not the 1st to 3rd choices of FA in other teams for SF. Competition is not fierce. The only drawback is whether he is willing to accept Pop's orders.

Unless SPURS can sign Scola and trade to Bulls, Nocini is a pipe dream. Pietrus is restricted and GS has more room to match offer now. T Outlaw is the best solution but no tradable players in SPURS interest Portland.

The leftover in cap room can be used to sign PJ Brown for 1 yr if Butler is traded or upgrade the backup PG.

I've said it before and it's worth repeating. This is THE guy the Spurs should make as their top FA priority. He's got a decent offensive game, can shoot the 3 ball and his defense on Dirk in the 2006 NBA finals was oustanding. From reading the article there, it looks as though he can likely be had for cheap. All positives for the Spurs model. Posey should be the priority over both Pietrus and Nocioni.

I love Pietrus and he could surely step in a play right now, but I figure he's out to break the bank. For the Spurs, he would be paid and played like a backup. I don't know if that would suit him at this stage of his career.

Bruno
06-30-2007, 08:10 AM
trade Barry for Posey

So they won't re-sign them to save money and you want to do a S&T, that is to say adding salaries for Miami. :spin
If Spurs want Posey, they will sign him via FA, not do a S&T.

Thomas
06-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Sign Nocioni. Barry must stay with the Spurs, the guy can play, Posey sucks

Big P
06-30-2007, 11:03 AM
No way the Spurs would trade Scola's rights for Posey..Nocioni sure, Pietrus, maybe, but I doubt it,... but Posey, no friggin way is he worth giving up Scolas rights. I'm down with signing Posey for the LLE IF we don't get Nocioni or Pietrus, other than that, no thanks. And doing a S&T with Barry for Posey, means we would be paying Posey $5.5 mil, that is just stupid.

Darkwaters
06-30-2007, 12:30 PM
No way the Spurs would trade Scola's rights for Posey..Nocioni sure, Pietrus, maybe, but I doubt it,... but Posey, no friggin way is he worth giving up Scolas rights. I'm down with signing Posey for the LLE IF we don't get Nocioni or Pietrus, other than that, no thanks. And doing a S&T with Barry for Posey, means we would be paying Posey $5.5 mil, that is just stupid.

We could pay Posey a little above 4M and make salaries match. Not 5.5

I agree that Posey definitely needs to be on our radar...hard. But I'm not sure he is target number 1. Close though. Pietrus is a pipe dream, and a bad one at that. While hes athletic and all he can't play the 4 in small ball very well and he doesn't have a head for Spurs ball. Nocioni has pretty much everything going for him except his cost (Scola) and the fact that hes not a proven Dirk stopper. Posey has proven in the 2006 finals that he can frustrate and slow down Dirk and he will be had for a smaller price (which could mean that the 08 will remain unaffected by his signing). I see see Nocioni as a long-term solution while Posey might just be a 2 or maybe 3 years bandaid while we train a new guy. But either way, I want one of these two.

intlspurshk
06-30-2007, 02:29 PM
To get Nocioni, SPURS need to sign Scola first at least. But all FA will all be signed when SPURS finish negotiation with Scola/Tau.

SPURS need to offer MLE to get Matt Barnes or T Outlaw at least and I am sure SPURS won't do that.

Big P
06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
We could pay Posey a little above 4M and make salaries match. Not 5.5

I agree that Posey definitely needs to be on our radar...hard. But I'm not sure he is target number 1. Close though. Pietrus is a pipe dream, and a bad one at that. While hes athletic and all he can't play the 4 in small ball very well and he doesn't have a head for Spurs ball. Nocioni has pretty much everything going for him except his cost (Scola) and the fact that hes not a proven Dirk stopper. Posey has proven in the 2006 finals that he can frustrate and slow down Dirk and he will be had for a smaller price (which could mean that the 08 will remain unaffected by his signing). I see see Nocioni as a long-term solution while Posey might just be a 2 or maybe 3 years bandaid while we train a new guy. But either way, I want one of these two.

Paying Posey $4 mil is still too much IMO. He isn't the same Posey from 3 or 4 years ago, he is not worth a $12 mil deal for 3 years. Spurs would be better off trying to groom James White, than overpaying for Posey. Not too mention his off court troubles which is a major reason I dont think the Spurs will even look at him.