PDA

View Full Version : Garnett to Mavs?

SpursFanFirst
06-30-2007, 10:54 AM
I saw this this morning, and I can't believe Mav Fans aren't talking about it....

NBA Rumors - Dallas Mavericks
Serious KG talk between Wolves and Mavs
Friday, Jun 29, 2007 4:05 pm EDT
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/teams/Dallas+Mavericks/nba.t.6

Trade talks for Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett shifted from a possible Phoenix destination, with the Dallas Mavericks seriously entering the discussions for the first time, according to a league source. The teams talked extensively Thursday but could not reach an agreement on specifics, according to another source.

Chris Childs
06-30-2007, 10:57 AM
KG for Dick?

td4mvp3
06-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I saw this this morning, and I can't believe Mav Fans aren't talking about it....

NBA Rumors - Dallas Mavericks
Serious KG talk between Wolves and Mavs
Friday, Jun 29, 2007 4:05 pm EDT
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/teams/Dallas+Mavericks/nba.t.6

Trade talks for Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett shifted from a possible Phoenix destination, with the Dallas Mavericks seriously entering the discussions for the first time, according to a league source. The teams talked extensively Thursday but could not reach an agreement on specifics, according to another source.
i'd be more frightened if he went to phoenix.

JamStone
06-30-2007, 11:13 AM
If it's KG for Cuban, great trade for the Mavs.

Leetonidas
06-30-2007, 11:32 AM
It doesn't help them. He is basically Dirk Nowitzki with a different game in that he is not a leader and he doesn't want to step up when it matters.

SpursDynasty
06-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Once again, Dallas and Minnesota need not be stubborn.

Dirk for KG, just do it. Do it do it do it.

Because KG = 12 seasons in Minn. and no championships for Minnesota.
Dirk = 9 seasons in Dallas and no championships for Dallas.

But I know how stupid teams are these days with their "valuable" players, so expect KG to open another damn season with the same damn team. Same with Kobe, same with Dirk....and expect another Spurs championship at the end of the 2008 season.

Tippecanoe
06-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Once again, Dallas and Minnesota need not be stubborn.

Dirk for KG, just do it. Do it do it do it.

Because KG = 12 seasons in Minn. and no championships for Minnesota.
Dirk = 9 seasons in Dallas and no championships for Dallas.

But I know how stupid teams are these days with their "valuable" players, so expect KG to open another damn season with the same damn team. Same with Kobe, same with Dirk....and expect another Spurs championship at the end of the 2008 season.

someone please make this guy disappear

BacktoBasics
06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Which would you rather have? Stomach cancer or lung cancer.

SpursDynasty
06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Why? I've never said anything on here that didn't come true.

For some reason people don't like the manner in which I do it though...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Just Cuban getting his name in the papers again...

mavs>spurs2
06-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Would you stfu already....you said the Mavs would beat Golden State because they would get all the calls, and that never happened. Point proven.

LEONARD
06-30-2007, 02:21 PM
someone please make this guy disappear

He has once before, but he resurfaced... :lol

I've shot your dumbass down so many times after you make this claim that I'm not going to waste my time...everybody here knows you're a dip$hit by now...

confined
06-30-2007, 02:48 PM
It doesn't help them. He is basically Dirk Nowitzki with a different game in that he is not a leader and he doesn't want to step up when it matters.
there is no way KG makes the mavs worse unless dallas looses too many of its core players in that deal...any which way you look at it Dirk + KG = scary

Findog
06-30-2007, 03:34 PM
there is no way KG makes the mavs worse unless dallas looses too many of its core players in that deal...any which way you look at it Dirk + KG = scary

Not interested in gutting my team for KG, Dirk and 10 spares. Mavs aren't trading Dirk unless it's for Duncan or LeBron. And those teams aren't offering.

KG's got a trade kicker that would make his cap figure $25+ next year. If he's really serious about being a winner, he'll waive it. How much more money does he need?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-30-2007, 03:36 PM
there is no way KG makes the mavs worse unless dallas looses too many of its core players in that deal...any which way you look at it Dirk + KG = scary:lol at you thinking the Wolves will accept anything other than Dirk for KG :lmao

ATXSPUR
06-30-2007, 03:37 PM

Dirk + KG = 0 championships with crazy good talent around them 70% of the time.

Findog
06-30-2007, 03:41 PM
:lol at you thinking the Wolves will accept anything other than Dirk for KG :lmao

You think Dallas will gut its roster for KG? If they're not satisfied with a package centered around Howard, draft picks and expiring contracts, then fuck them and thanks for playing. We didn't miss the playoffs three years in a row with a fucked up cap situation, and Dirk is not opting out next year. We don't HAVE to do this deal. If they want to salvage something for their franchise guy before he walks out the door next summer, they'll take what they can get.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-30-2007, 04:04 PM
You think Dallas will gut its roster for KG? If they're not satisfied with a package centered around Howard, draft picks and expiring contracts, then fuck them and thanks for playing. We didn't miss the playoffs three years in a row with a fucked up cap situation, and Dirk is not opting out next year. We don't HAVE to do this deal. If they want to salvage something for their franchise guy before he walks out the door next summer, they'll take what they can get.I agree, that's why I think this whole thing is bogus. You're out of your mind if you actually think this is going down. Seriously, take a look at the scenarios. It just doesn't work

Findog
06-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I agree, that's why I think this whole thing is bogus. You're out of your mind if you actually think this is going down. Seriously, take a look at the scenarios. It just doesn't work

Which is why Donnie picked up the phone and lowballed them. I'm betting the Mav offer was heavier on money considerations and expiring contracts than on talent. Maybe if Minny gets desperate, they eventually do this deal. Dallas doesn't need to overreact and panic to Mia/GS. They're a lot closer to a title than people give them credit for.

TonyParkerSux
06-30-2007, 04:15 PM
KG And $$
Delayed Time Frame Is Mavs' Plus
By David Lord -- DB.com

Will the Mavs be the last franchise standing in the competition to get Garnett? As some in the mainstream media begin to acknowledge the veracity of DB.com's ahead-of-the-curve KG-to-Dallas-talks scoop, the calendar comes into play. And the closer we get to July 1, the more it becomes possible that the Mavs could win the prize.

If Kevin Garnett is actually traded this summer (and reportedly the Minnesota owner has told his guys to get it done), there are financial and cap repercussions that may be significantly altering their options. They center around KG's trade bonus (commonly called a "trade kicker") which would be triggered if he is traded. Athough he can waive it, it's a virtual certainty that it will be paid when the trade occurs in light of his desire not to be traded.

THE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Financially, assuming the kicker amount is the max 15%, the bonus would be $6.75M and would be paid immediately to KG by someone. DB.com is told it is indeed $6/5 mil.) Who pays? Either team can pay (this is not subject to the $3M cash restriction in trades).

That, all by itself, could be a big issue in all the rollercoaster trade discussions we've watched occur. Sarver (the Phoenix owner) has never been known to have much of a stomach for dispensing cash, with his front office perennially living under a mandate to avoid tax at all costs. Would he swallow a $6.75M bonus, on top of a salary exceeding $20M per year? We doubt it. When we heard Steve Kerr say the Suns were looking at how to make a KG deal work FINANCIALLY, finding a way to deal with that bonus may have been a major part of their struggle to make a deal work.

If a team trading for KG has to tell the T-wolves to pay the bonus, they'd better have a super-strong talent package to offer. Added talent, in fact.

But if the other team will swallow the bonus themselves? Since there are so few teams with the willingness to make that financial commitment, one who will do so may go shooting up the list for Minnesota. When Mark Cuban indicated that the money doesn't scare him as we reported, was that a veiled message to the competition that he is willing to do what Minnesota wants (but others won't) regarding the bonus? Did Minny owner Taylor take off for China with Cuban's offer in his pocket and the instructions that if someone else won't pay the bonus, we'll just send KG to Dallas? It's very possible.

CAP AND TAX ISSUES

Besides the payment of the bonus itself, there are also significant cap implications arising from it. At this point during the 2006-07 season (which officially ends June 30), the cap number for KG if traded (assuming a full 15% bonus is paid) would be as follows:

2006-07 ..... $24.375M cap hit
2007-08 ..... $25.375M cap hit
2008-09 ..... $23M cap hit

That $24.375M cap number is huge to match. And it will be hard to avoid tax next season with the KG carrying a $25.375M cap charge.

But what if the trade happens after June 30? Things change. In fact, they change so much that the money issues dominate the deal probably to the exclusion of everything else. On a deal this summer from July 1 onward, here's how the trade matching and cap numbers look:

2007-08 ..... $28.75M
2008-09 ..... $23M

Can you even do a deal if you are a team wanting KG but (a) you have to pay a $6.75M bonus, (b) you have to find a way to avoid tax with a cap hit on KG of $28.75M, (c) you have to send away enough salary to match $28.75M within 25% [almost $23M], and (d) you still need a team around KG? The bigger the numbers get, the more other teams get scared off or just can't play in the game. Adding another $4.375M to the amount to match and to the TAXABLE cap hit in 2007-08 can make the price prohibitive for almost all.

No wonder there are so many "no thanks'' stories being reported as the draft is minutes away from beginning.

Among the mainstream media, everybody is saying that the KG thing will happen later rather than sooner. And some LA papers are starting to carefully include Dallas as a Kg suitor. Smart boys. Meanwhile, the Dallas Morning News, obliged to scoff at our story earlier this week, is now "forgetting it'' it terms of sketicism. Our pal David Moore was careful to include Dallas as a KG contender in his column today. He hid it down in his skillionth paragraph, but it's in there. In black-and-white. Just in case.

One owner has made it clear to Minny (and to DB.com) that he isn't scared of the money. The Mavs - who need to include sign-and-trade expirings in the deal to match the salary - can't actually make such a deal until July. But at that point, the money gets bigger and starts to drive the competition away. Will the Mavs be the last franchise standing in July, in the competition to get Garnett?

519pm June 28 2007

BUMP
06-30-2007, 05:14 PM
:lol at you thinking the Wolves will accept anything other than Dirk for KG :lmao

your not very smart.

why would the Timberwolves want Dirk? thats puts them in the same postition they already are in. all star power forward surrounded by nobody

confined
06-30-2007, 05:47 PM

they arent gonna swap superstars dumbass...that gets them no-where...dirk and KG are on the same level talent wise and if they just traded for dirk they wouldnt be any better than they are now....t-wolves obviously want young talent with upside in that deal and i dont see how a howard + harris + damp offer wouldnt get it done

Leetonidas
06-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Not really. I didn't say he makes them worse, but he doesn't address any needs for them. They NEED an interior scorer and a leader...while Garnett only halfway solves the first problem, and I say half because he normally plays away from the basket. However, KG is like Dirk, in that he doesn't want to take the big shot and he is not a leader.

mavs>spurs2
06-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Not really. I didn't say he makes them worse, but he doesn't address any needs for them. They NEED an interior scorer and a leader...while Garnett only halfway solves the first problem, and I say half because he normally plays away from the basket. However, KG is like Dirk, in that he doesn't want to take the big shot and he is not a leader.

I think this could work out well for both of them. They could be co-captains and each take SOME of the pressure instead of one guy having it all on his shoulders.

Johnny RIngo
06-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Make it happen Cuban! Mavs need a real leader on the court. The German pansy isn't getting it done.

SpursDynasty
07-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Garnett's last accomplishment was leading Minnesota to a fake regular season record of 58-24 and losing in the 2004 WCF's to the superior Lakers who were also having a fake playoff run when they lost to the Pistons in the Finals.

mavs>spurs2
07-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Garnett's last accomplishment was leading Minnesota to a fake regular season record of 58-24 and losing in the 2004 WCF's to the superior Lakers who were also having a fake playoff run when they lost to the Pistons in the Finals.

Where were the Spurs in all this fakeness??

SpursDynasty
07-01-2007, 01:41 AM
Where were the Spurs in all this fakeness??

They got screwed that year.

Findog
07-01-2007, 01:54 AM

Up 2-0 and then lost four straight. Spurs fans have a characterization for that sort of thing.

mavs>spurs2
07-01-2007, 02:04 AM

Screwed...right. Since the rules clearly state how much time is necessary for a catch and shoot.

Findog
07-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Screwed...right. Since the rules clearly state how much time is necessary for a catch and shoot.

All you need is .03, right? In any event, they went out and lost Game Six. Mavs fans can whine and whine and whine about Bennett Salvatore and Game Five of the Finals, and they'd be right that it was a screwjob, but Game Six can't be pinned on the refs, nor Games 3-4.

LEONARD
07-02-2007, 09:11 AM

:lol

What a little bitch you are Jeff...

Findog
07-02-2007, 09:12 AM
:lol

What a little bitch you are Jeff...

Hey, excuses are for the Spurs, not the other 29 fluke "fake" teams.

I'm beginning to think he's not a troll, he's quite sincere and suffering from some sort of pathology.

monosylab1k
07-02-2007, 09:15 AM
KG for Dick?

Dick Nowitzki and Craig "Ironwood" Haywood

Humble Billy Hayes
07-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Garnett coming here? I don't know about that. Let me try it out anyways though -

"Kevin Garnett........twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shots!"

Wow, that felt so good it made my breasts lactate! Get that fuckface to Dallas ASAP!

wildchild
07-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Garnett to Suns?
Garnett to Lakers?
Garnett to Mavs?

rumors sucks :rolleyes

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
:lol :dramaquee