PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Hill on Spurs' radar, but focus is at home

timvp
06-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Hill on Spurs' radar, but focus is at home
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

The NBA's free-agent market opened today, and, surprisingly enough, Spurs officials insisted they didn't hit the snooze button and roll over.

While the Spurs don't figure to be major players in free agency, they will have some work to do. The team hopes to re-sign its top three free agents — Fabricio Oberto, Jacque Vaughn and Matt Bonner — and all three have indicated they would like to return.

If the Spurs accomplish that goal, they will have 14 players under contract, not including Thursday's second-round pick, Marcus Williams. Teams are limited to carrying 15 once the season begins.

Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry both had their contracts become fully guaranteed today.

The Spurs will still look for ways to enhance their crowded roster and plan to speak with veteran free-agent forward Grant Hill. Hill, who will turn 35 near the start of training camp, hasn't ruled out returning to Orlando, but also has made it clear he would like to play for a championship contender.

Hill averaged 14.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 30.9 minutes while shooting 51.8 percent in 65 games last season. He has been significantly limited by injuries, playing fewer than 30 games in four of the past six seasons, but likely wouldn't be overworked on a veteran-heavy roster.

Hill is represented by Lon Babby, who also counts Tim Duncan and Bowen among his clients. Hill's longtime shooting coach, Chip Engelland, is on the Spurs' staff.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford made a brief attempt at signing Hill in the summer of 2000 when both he and Duncan were contemplating going to Orlando.

Hill's interest in the Spurs is unclear. The Detroit Pistons, for whom he played for during the first six seasons of his career, and Phoenix Suns will be among his biggest suitors. In a recent interview with ESPN Radio, Hill reportedly said he considered the Suns a better fit for him than the Spurs.

The Spurs have the $5 million midlevel exception available to spend on free agents, but they might not want to use all of it considering their payroll could be bumping up against the luxury-tax threshold if they re-sign Oberto, Vaughn and Bonner.

Teams could begin negotiating with free agents at 11 p.m. Saturday, but can't sign them until July 12.

The Spurs have long had interest in Chicago free-agent forward Andres Nocioni, but likely would need a sign-and-trade deal to land him, and the Bulls appear intent on trying to keep him. Golden State swingman Mickael Pietrus could become another target, but the Warriors have the right to match any offer he receives.

The Spurs could open roster spots if they decide to waive James White and trade Beno Udrih or Jackie Butler. Butler and White, whose contract guarantees him only $300,000 if he is on the roster opening night, will have a chance to prove themselves on the Spurs' summer-league team, which begins play Friday in Las Vegas.

Udrih is due $1.7 million in the final season of his contract, and the Spurs tried to trade him at last season's trade deadline and again during Thursday's draft. The team also has continued to solicit offers for the rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola.

Scola is one of the best players in Europe, but the Spurs won't have room for him if they re-sign Oberto. French forward Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' first-round pick in 2005, will accompany the summer-league team to Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, but won't play after recently injuring his right shoulder in mini-camp. Unless the Spurs lighten their roster, he, too, could be facing another season in Europe.

Williams is expected to play in Las Vegas. But even if the Spurs sign him just to send him to Austin to play in the developmental league, he will count against one of their 15 roster spots. Melvin Ely, the Spurs' lone remaining free agent, is expected to sign elsewhere.

Notebook: Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo met with Seattle officials, including owner Clay Bennett, on Friday night regarding the team's head-coaching job. The meeting was Carlesimo's second with the team.

Former Sonics assistant coach Dwane Casey also met with Bennett on Friday. With the Sonics having traded Ray Allen on Thursday — making the core of their roster noticeably younger — Casey may be a more viable candidate than Carlesimo for the job.

The team is expected to make a decision early this week.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070107.01C.BKNspurs.freeagents.3556078.html

Southeasttexas
06-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Perfect fit, personality wise.

timvp
06-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry both had their contracts become fully guaranteed today.Nice :tu

The Spurs will still look for ways to enhance their crowded roster and plan to speak with veteran free-agent forward Grant Hill.Eh, I guess Hill wouldn't be horrible. But seeing as there's probably a 90% chance he breaks down by the playoffs, I don't know if it'd be an overly smart move.

The Spurs have the $5 million midlevel exception available to spend on free agents, but they might not want to use all of it considering their payroll could be bumping up against the luxury-tax threshold if they re-sign Oberto, Vaughn and Bonner.As expected.

The Spurs have long had interest in Chicago free-agent forward Andres Nocioni, but likely would need a sign-and-trade deal to land him, and the Bulls appear intent on trying to keep him. Spurs like Nocioni. Also not a shock.
Golden State swingman Mickael Pietrus could become another target, but the Warriors have the right to match any offer he receives. And they'd probably match what the Spurs would likely offer.

The Spurs could open roster spots if they decide to waive James White and trade Beno Udrih or Jackie Butler. Waive James White? That'd kinda suck, considering how well he played last year after sitting on the bench all season.

Butler and White, whose contract guarantees him only $300,000 if he is on the roster opening night, will have a chance to prove themselves on the Spurs' summer-league team, which begins play Friday in Las Vegas.Nice to know Butler is officially going to play in summer league. This is setting up to be a nice summer league roster.

Udrih is due $1.7 million in the final season of his contract, and the Spurs tried to trade him at last season's trade deadline and again during Thursday's draft. I wonder if he was part of the package that almost netted them the 16th pick.

The team also has continued to solicit offers for the rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola. Scola is one of the best players in Europe, but the Spurs won't have room for him if they re-sign Oberto.Nice. Excuses already for not signing Scola. Ludden should just say the Spurs aren't going to pay his buyout.

French forward Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' first-round pick in 2005, will accompany the summer-league team to Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, but won't play after recently injuring his right shoulder in mini-camp. Unless the Spurs lighten their roster, he, too, could be facing another season in Europe.Too bad he got injured. Butler, White, Williams and Mahinmi would have been a mean summer league team. The way the roster is shaping up, it looks like it's another year in Europe for Mahinmi.

Williams is expected to play in Las Vegas. But even if the Spurs sign him just to send him to Austin to play in the developmental league, he will count against one of their 15 roster spots. Yeah that's what I thought. So much for the Toros loophole.

Mr.Bottomtooth
He sounds like he's too interested in Detroit and Phoenix to have much attention for San Antonio.

OldDirtMcGirt
Perfect fit, personality wise.

Yeah I'd think that he'd be great on San Antonio. I'm not sure why Phoenix is pursuing him, he'd be awful in our system.

timvp
06-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Beno needs to play in summer league. What the hell could he be up to that'd do more for him than get some exposure in summer league? Vegas and even Salt Lake City have night clubs too, so that shouldn't hold him back.

The Spurs summer league team needs a point guard. I guess Beno thinks he's too good for summer league.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2007, 11:38 PM
The Spurs will still look for ways to enhance their crowded roster and plan to speak with veteran free-agent forward Grant Hill. Hill, who will turn 35 near the start of training camp, hasn't ruled out returning to Orlando, but also has made it clear he would like to play for a championship contender.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

We need youth and athleticism, we need a Bowen apprentice/future replacement, so let's go out and sign an old fucker who gets hurt/runs out of gas by the time the regular season is over.

Pop is getting to be as bad as Larry Brown when it comes to veterans vis a vis rookies/young guys. How many more times do we have to watch the Spurs get punked while trying to repeat before they will get a clue?

jag
06-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm not too excided about Grant, to say the least.

Testing
06-30-2007, 11:51 PM
In a recent interview with ESPN Radio, Hill reportedly said he considered the Suns a better fit for him than the Spurs.

:lol The Suns? How does Hill expect to run and gun for 81 regular season games on his ankles?

He's also a bad fit for the Spurs as well, they don't really need another veteran shooter or leader in the locker room....they have Michael Finley for that. Hill also isn't that super of a rebounder or defender so he couldn't be helpful in that area. Detroit is actually a great location for him, seeing as how they desperately need quality leadership there as well as another shooter.

Despot
07-01-2007, 12:00 AM
:lol The Suns? How does Hill expect to run and gun for 81 regular season games on his ankles?

He's also a bad fit for the Spurs as well, they don't really need another veteran shooter or leader in the locker room....they have Michael Finley for that. Hill also isn't that super of a rebounder or defender so he couldn't be helpful in that area. Detroit is actually a great location for him, seeing as how they desperately need quality leadership there as well as another shooter.

I vaguely remember a qoute about how Hill liked Phoenix due to the relaxed practice schedule. Anyone recall that?

Steve-O-Matic
07-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Phoenix is only able to offer the veteran minimum.

greens
07-01-2007, 12:04 AM
It says in the article that Grant had said that he prefers Suns, not Spurs. So I'd say that it's unlikely that he'd want to play in San Antonio anyway. So no need for anyone to get too worked up...

whottt
07-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Yeah that's what I thought. So much for the Toros loophole.

Does that apply to draft picks? White technically wasn't a Spurs draft pick. Seems like the NBA would give teams some time to develop some of their drafted prospects in D-League...to make the D-League something they would be inclined to use often...and as a way to get upscale talent in the D-league.

coopdogg3
07-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Phoenix is only able to offer the veteran minimum.

How does Phoenix not have the MLE??

Cant_Be_Faded
07-01-2007, 12:13 AM
I would not mind signing him if we already did not have 4 or 5 overaged players taking less money to have a limited role and win championships.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 12:18 AM
It says in the article that Grant had said that he prefers Suns, not Spurs. So I'd say that it's unlikely that he'd want to play in San Antonio anyway. So no need for anyone to get too worked up...

People should be getting worked up when this team has some needs to address and instead of doing that they're chasing after a geriatric swing man.

ploto
07-01-2007, 12:32 AM
It pretty much says what we have all heard:

If they re-sign the 3 FA's they are at the luxury tax, so anyone they bring in costs double basically. I don't really see the Spurs active much in free agency because they really don't want to spend more money. Apparently this season Scola isn't coming because there is no roster spot for him. :lol

The Spurs really have no assets to trade for anyone valuable if they are dangling Beno and Butler who make a combined $3.7M. One name noticeably absent in this article was Brent.

The one asset they do have they overvalue in trade talks (Scola's rights).

The very good RFA's out there are pretty much all expected to be matched.

Despot
07-01-2007, 12:35 AM
People should be getting worked up when this team has some needs to address and instead of doing that they're chasing after a geriatric swing man.

I'm still happy we got rid of Rasho.

ploto
07-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm still happy we got rid of Rasho.
Yeah, because Rasho being gone means the Spurs will spend lots of money this off-season.

Despot
07-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Yeah, because Rasho being gone means the Spurs will spend lots of money this off-season.

No, don't be silly, it's because he is a stiff

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 12:49 AM
It pretty much says what we have all heard:

If they re-sign the 3 FA's they are at the luxury tax, so anyone they bring in costs double basically. I don't really see the Spurs active much in free agency because they really don't want to spend more money. Apparently this season Scola isn't coming because there is no roster spot for him. :lol

The Spurs really have no assets to trade for anyone valuable if they are dangling Beno and Butler who make a combined $3.7M. One name noticeably absent in this article was Brent.

The one asset they do have they overvalue in trade talks (Scola's rights).

The very good RFA's out there are pretty much all expected to be matched.

Because, like, the Spurs totally like tell everyone what they're going to do and who they have out for trade offers in the press :tu

Probably has more to do with the fact Rasho sucks.

phyzik
07-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Im kind of iffy with the Robert Horry thing.... The man is a legend... but still.... Just my personal feeling going into next year. I will need to see that killer instinct "Im going to drive a dagger into you and your going to like it" mentality from robert Horry before I commit to him again. He does it just ONCE and I will be satisfied. I just got a gut feeling he wont do it, I really hope Im wrong.

T Park
07-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Im kind of iffy with the Robert Horry thing.... The man is a legend... but still.... Just my personal feeling going into next year. I will need to see that killer instinct "Im going to drive a dagger into you and your going to like it" mentality from robert Horry before I commit to him again. He does it just ONCE and I will be satisfied. I just got a gut feeling he wont do it, I really hope Im wrong.

The guy was a huge reason the Spurs won the ring this year, and you "need to see more"

Fucking unreal.

T Park
07-01-2007, 01:02 AM
BTW, Im correct on Nocioni, the Spurs don't give a shit about him cause they don't want to spend the money.

Great job Spurs :tu

Bruno
07-01-2007, 02:18 AM
The Spurs have long had interest in Chicago free-agent forward Andres Nocioni, but likely would need a sign-and-trade deal to land him

Good news, I hope Spurs and Bulls will be able to get a deal done.

and the Bulls appear intent on trying to keep him.

Bad news. :depressed

aaronstampler
07-01-2007, 03:54 AM
The guy was a huge reason the Spurs won the ring this year, and you "need to see more"

Fucking unreal.

Horry had a great series against the Nuggets, then did absolutely nothing the rest of the playoffs except a nice Game 2 of the Finals. Did he make a contribution in the Phx or Utah series that I missed?

And no, don't say the hip check, cos it's not like he predicted Amare would get himself suspended.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2007, 03:55 AM
Hill would be cool, no complaints if signed but we we end up with Finley starting and Manu and White off the bench, I'd have no problem.

aaronstampler
07-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Quote: "and the Bulls appear intent on trying to keep him. "

I don't get this at all. The Bulls already have Thomas and Noah at the 4, Deng will play major minutes at the 3, plus Thabo Sefolosha is there as well. How do they plan on justifying giving Nocioni a big contract when there is practically no room on the roster at the 3 or the 4 to give him big minutes?

toosmallshoes
07-01-2007, 04:09 AM
considering that there's no way they will replace bowen this season, and they will need a new old timer to rally around now that Finley is old news, Hill might actually be a decent option. It's next offseason that they're looking to reshape the team. Considering he's one of the only players in the NBA who actually has a decent mid range game and can slash to the basket... I'd be curious to see how that might work out in our system.

naico
07-01-2007, 04:32 AM
I can't believe the FO doesn't want to make the team better. I mean JV, Bonner, it's all good you know but if you've got the opportunity to sign scola and other players who are clearly better than why wouldn't they?

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2007, 07:14 AM
I like Hill only if Barry is gone

Finley, Hill and Barry are too much

rascal
07-01-2007, 08:39 AM
No to Grant Hill. He is always injured and his best days way past. The spurs need to get younger.

The spurs need to start to address the age of the team and target some young players that have some upside.

exstatic
07-01-2007, 09:12 AM
BTW, Im correct on Nocioni, the Spurs don't give a shit about him cause they don't want to spend the money.

Except, if they go after Noccioni, it will be a S&T with existing contracts, plus other considerations like maybe the rights to Scola, not costing them an additional DIME in cap room.

SenorSpur
07-01-2007, 09:42 AM
If Hill wants easy practices and a run & gun offense, he should sign with the Suns. Besides, I don't know that he can stay healthy enough to endure a long post-season and an even longer regular season.

I'd rather see the Spurs opt for another swingman like Posey or Pietrus.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Yeah, we should have not re-signed him, then we could watch him suit up for Dallas against us in the playoffs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 09:56 AM

How cute, TPark has one of those Jumping to Conclusions mats from Office Space.

Steve-O-Matic
07-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Per Marc Stein....

Phoenix and San Antonio are offering only the veteran minimum salary for next season to Grant Hill: $1.2 million, with nearly $450,000 of that amount paid by the league office from a fund for veterans.

Detroit, Toronto and Orlando will be offering the 35-year-old much more.

Yet one source insisted early Sunday that he's already convinced that the injury-tortured Hill, having just completed a $93 million deal with Magic, is "going to Phoenix for sure."

That would be welcome news in the desert, since the Suns are desperate for savvy veterans to improve the team's overall IQ and since Hill is the only free agent Phoenix is looking to add to its hefty payroll.

The early indications, though, suggest Hill does want to consider all his options and won't rush into a commitment.

mowgli
07-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Finley, Hill and Barry are too much
x2

Honestly, though, I would still prefer Barry and Finley out of the three. But if one of the two were to leave, Hill would be a welcome replacement.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Hill would be cool, no complaints if signed but we we end up with Finley starting and Manu and White off the bench, I'd have no problem.

Buddy Holly, stick to San Antonio real estate. This team doesn't need an old swing man.

Quote: "and the Bulls appear intent on trying to keep him. "

I don't get this at all. The Bulls already have Thomas and Noah at the 4, Deng will play major minutes at the 3, plus Thabo Sefolosha is there as well. How do they plan on justifying giving Nocioni a big contract when there is practically no room on the roster at the 3 or the 4 to give him big minutes?

They're playing poker. The Bulls have a good front office, they're not going to come out and say 'we don't care about Nocioni, go ahead and make an offer to him'. He's a tradeable commodity, and they know this, and will talk trade for the right price.

considering that there's no way they will replace bowen this season, and they will need a new old timer to rally around now that Finley is old news, Hill might actually be a decent option. It's next offseason that they're looking to reshape the team. Considering he's one of the only players in the NBA who actually has a decent mid range game and can slash to the basket... I'd be curious to see how that might work out in our system.

If we are going to fill out our 15th roster slot with a swing man, it needs to be Marcus Williams (unless we go after Nocioni).

Set aside Noc for a minute, let's talk about Williams. You don't reshape a team by putting a bunch of new guys on it, because it takes a while to get the Spurs system. They need to bring in someone to learn the Spurs system while not being relied on to win games, and he can also learn the veteran tricks of the trade from Bowen, Horry, and Finley.

You've got to build your team when you're still good so you're not starting with a clean slate (like the Spurs would if they waited until 2008 to do it).

Grant Hill doesn't give the Spurs anything new. He has the same skill set as Finley, Manu, and Barry. This team still needs to address the need of getting someone who can at least slow down Dirk in the post-season.

The Spurs are playing with fool's gold right now, thinking they don't have any needs to address to repeat, when the fact of the matter is they still need to address some needs to be ready for a showdown with Dallas in the playoffs next year (unless they know something we don't and Dallas will stuck playing GS for the foreseeable future).

The Spurs have a 3-4 year window with the core of Tim, Tony, and Manu to win more rings during the TD era. They'll be pissing one of them away next year if they stay put.

exstatic
07-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I just think it's funny that Hill's personal shooting coach is Chip Englland. I guess everyone fails now and then. Hill is truly abyssmal from beyond the arc.

naico
07-01-2007, 10:26 AM
looks like it's going to be a dissapointing off season if you ask me

texasqb2
07-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I'd be pretty confident that Hill will want to come to SA as his first choice if the Spurs want him. It makes much more sense than any other place. The Spurs are full of veterans. Pop doesn't play his players very much during the season unlike Phoenix who wants to play their starters every minute during the regular season. His shooting coach Chip is on our staff. Everyone who says Hill said he would prefer Phoenix in that radio segment didn't listen. Hill said he would want to go to San Antonio or Phoenix and then told Dan Patrick he couldn't make a decision like 3 different times when Patrick was trying to force him to. He just said "I don't know Phoenix," b/c Patrick wouldn't leave him alone.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Hill is better than Bary so if Spurs can get him great. If not I hope he stays with Orlando or goes to the Pistons. The Suns having one less decent rotation player is a good thing. They won't be filling out their thin roster with anyone that won't come at vet minimum.

mowgli
07-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Well, yes, in the sense that the Spurs are not associated with the cream of the free agent crop perenially because we are winners. If winning could have a downside, this would be it.

There is room for improvement among the smaller pieces that surround the big 3, but the FO may be content with our current roster coming off a championship season. This becomes a bigger issue, however, if the Spurs' main rivals improve themselves. Despite the Spurs walking through the playoffs last year, the margin for error in the Western Conference is still very thin.

Hence, minor yearly changes to the roster are sometimes necessary to extend dominance. Waiting to clear out cap room and then pursuing a big name is a risky strategy. Somehow, despite a recent history of winning, and Tim Duncan :worthy: still in his prime, the Spurs have been unable to attract another star to small-market San Antonio.

Nonetheless, next off-season should be highly entertaining. :toast

exstatic
07-01-2007, 10:52 AM
:lol:rollin

ONLY Spurfan could call this a disappointing offseason. Go get your picture taken with the trophies, or something.

Money316
07-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Finley, Hill and Barry are too muchAmen to that bro.

"Dab of white chocolate" has got to go.

T Park
07-01-2007, 12:48 PM
then did absolutely nothing the rest of the playoffs except a nice Game 2 of the Finals. Did he make a contribution in the Phx or Utah series that I missed?

And no, don't say the hip check, cos it's not like he predicted Amare would get himself suspended.

Uh against Utah he played great defense and rebounded quite well.

He also rebounded and defended well in game 1, 2, 3 of the Finals.

But heaven forbid anyone outside of Ginobili get praise. Fuck.

T Park
07-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Except, if they go after Noccioni, it will be a S&T with existing contracts, plus other considerations like maybe the rights to Scola, not costing them an additional DIME in cap room.

Doesn't sound to me, like they are going after ANYONE.

El_Mago
07-01-2007, 12:50 PM
No to HILL.

For the first time, I am in agreement with the Spurs to sticking to their guns.

This crew got us here and there is nothing wrong with them.

If Hill comes, that will only set back James White.

I've seen White play numerous times before the Spurs signed him, and I have seen him grow a lot. The dude finally get's it and he is ready to bring it.

The Spurs are not going to be spending big time cash, so Pietrus, Nocioni, and any other player that will take up more than half of the MLE is out of the question.

Only way the Spurs do it is if they can trade away any combination of Barry, Beno, Elson, Bonner, and the rights to Scola.

But, even that is unlikely.

So, people need to get use to that when RC says this team is staying intact and going to defend the title.....that is propbably what is going to happen.

THE DRIVE FOR FIVE!

GO SPURS GO!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Doesn't sound to me, like they are going after ANYONE.

Because, every roster and off-season move the Spurs have done since Pop got here has been leaked to the press before it happened :tu

Good call, Tpark.

clubalien
07-01-2007, 12:57 PM
When you have the ability to add someone with the ability of jordan, grant hill for the vet min or the MLE you do it.. It makes the spurs more athletic. It is great to get these superstar vets insted of scrub vets. This is like adding kobe without having to trade manu (which i woud do) and without the assosated problemns with kobe. grant hill is a superstar with class the perfect fit for the spurs.

Bruno
07-01-2007, 12:59 PM
It's amazing how people want to complain about something.

You can't bitch about Spurs season because Spurs win it all.
You can't bitch about Spurs draft because Spurs draft was really solid (what would have been ST if Spurs had decided to sold their pick for cash like Suns :lol )
So you bitch about the FA period that has barely started. :rolleyes

Maybe Spurs will do bad moves/nothing this offseason, Maybe not. At least, wait to see what will happen this summer before going in "the end of the world" mode. It's pathetic to see people bitching about the future while they have no clue about what will happen.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 01:05 PM
This crew got us here and there is nothing wrong with them.

Except for the fact we still don't know that they can beat Dallas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 01:06 PM
When you have the ability to add someone with the ability of jordan, grant hill for the vet min or the MLE you do it.. It makes the spurs more athletic. It is great to get these superstar vets insted of scrub vets. This is like adding kobe without having to trade manu (which i woud do) and without the assosated problemns with kobe. grant hill is a superstar with class the perfect fit for the spurs.

Dude, I know you smoke a lot of crack, but the last time Grant Hill and superstar belonged in the same sentence was ten years ago.

This doesn't make us more athletic, this makes us older.

clubalien
07-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Did he make a contribution in the Phx
you have to be kinding right
he single handled suspended two suns players

ploto
07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I just think it's funny that Hill's personal shooting coach is Chip Englland. I guess everyone fails now and then. Hill is truly abyssmal from beyond the arc.
Yet he shot 52% FG this season- higher than Manu, Brent, Bruce, and Finley.

El_Mago
07-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Except for the fact we still don't know that they can beat Dallas.

True.

But, I honestly believe the Mavs are done.

Their window is closed.

Not talent wise, just mental wise.

I don't believe anyone will fear them anymore.

What are they going to do?

Reel in nearly 70 wins, have their star win the MVP award, and make everyone believe they are going to be unstoppable come playoff time?

Oh wait, they already did, and choked in the 1st round.

Nobody will fear them....nobody will respect what they do in the regular season serious.....it's not like they are SA where they can struggle throughout the season and turn it on come playoff time.

Dallas is no longer a concern in my eyes.

Our biggest weakness is beating ourselves, and thats exactly what we did in game 7 of the WCF when we played Dallas....via that Manu foul.

ploto
07-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Because, like, the Spurs totally like tell everyone what they're going to do and who they have out for trade offers in the press.

I suppose this is your pathetic attempt to question my intelligence, but sorry, that boat doesn't float, especially coming from an Aggie. I would be more than happy to compare GPA's, SAT's, GRE's or IQ's with anyone here.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I would be more than happy to compare GPA's, SAT's, GRE's or IQ's with anyone here.
Yeah. I was pretty sure you were a member of the Menses Society.

T Park
07-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I suppose this is your pathetic attempt to question my intelligence, but sorry, that boat doesn't float, especially coming from an Aggie. I would be more than happy to compare GPA's, SAT's, GRE's or IQ's with anyone here

no need to show us. we already know how stupid you are.

ploto
07-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah. I was pretty sure you were a member of the Menses Society.
All the women here are members of the Menses Society- unless anyone is post-menopausal. :lol

And I do qualify for Mensa.

intlspurshk
07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Dallas is definitely a great concern unless they break up their team this summer. Those who believe otherwise is too arrogrant.

CosmicCowboy
07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
There is no question that Hill is a quality person and "team" kind of guy, but his window is closed and locked. He still has one of the sweetest mid range jumpers in the game but he's too slow now to create his own shot. I'm not saying that he couldn't score 15 a game for the Spurs in 30 minutes running him off picks and screens, but with the defensive attention that Duncan requires that could be said of a lot of players in the game. His 3 point shot is pathetic. His assist/turnover ratio is 1/1.

Thank you but no thank you. Hill needs to go back to Detroit where he came from and play out his career and get his jersey hung in the rafters when he retires. Hill was a joy to watch in Detroit before he broke his foot but he is just a shell of that former player now.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 02:08 PM
All the women here are members of the Menses Society- unless anyone is post-menopausal. :lol

Yes, most meet on a monthly basis. Then there are the bitter few that do it daily.

aaronstampler
07-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Uh against Utah he played great defense and rebounded quite well.

He also rebounded and defended well in game 1, 2, 3 of the Finals.

But heaven forbid anyone outside of Ginobili get praise. Fuck.

4 points and 4 rebounds. Be still my beating heart. And for the record, I'm rather fond of that Duncan fellow... :downspin:

T Park
07-01-2007, 03:35 PM
yup

stats tell the whole story :rolleyes

watch the games poindexter and you'd learn he was VERY big in helping win.

Jackass.

CosmicCowboy
07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
If Hill was a racehorse they would have already put him down.

timvp
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not too worried about Hill to Phoenix. Phoenix's pick and roll is so deadly because they spread the floor with three point shooters. Hill would be a player that you can help off of.

Plus it'd take a miracle for him to stay healthy all season.

texasqb2
07-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I think Hill fits best with SA and Detroit.....Phoenix's style makes no sense to have him

timvp
07-01-2007, 04:40 PM
If I'm Hill, I sign with the Spurs because I'd trust Pop to put me on the Robert Horry plan to save my ankle for the playoffs.

But if I'm the Spurs, I hesitate signing him. He's not a fantastic fit and the team is already full of veteran wings. Perhaps if a trade is made that lessens the wing rotation, things could change.

CosmicCowboy
07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
I know I've been dogging Hill but I can really see him coming to SA now that Babby has put the ball in the Spurs court by saying that "financial considerations are low on his priority list". Hill may have some serious holes in his game now but he is still a zone buster and it would be hard to say no if he would take a vet minimum contract.

ploto
07-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Everyone seems to be ignoring Detroit but a few days ago the rumor was that he wanted to go back there.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Finley was a darkhorse coming to SA rightt up until the surprising decison to sign here. Who knows where he'll go but Pop is a pretty amazing salesman. And there are a bunch of vets with rings in his portfolio.

spurster
07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't understand bringing Hill in when the Spurs already have their quota of slowing veterans who at least have the advantage of knowing the Spurs system. It wouldn't be until Hill's second year to mesh with the Spurs. Also, the Spurs need some balance with younger players else it will be 2001 all over again with aging vets falling down, but slow to get up.

T Park
07-01-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't understand bringing Hill in when the Spurs already have their quota of slowing veterans who at least have the advantage of knowing the Spurs system. It wouldn't be until Hill's second year to mesh with the Spurs. Also, the Spurs need some balance with younger players else it will be 2001 all over again with aging vets falling down, but slow to get up.

What younger players that are available should they sign? :rolleyes

CosmicCowboy
07-01-2007, 08:06 PM
If Hill really wants a ring he has a short list starting with S and ending before he gets to T. And the S stands for San Antonio and not Suns.

I can see Spurs offering a vet minimum contract and seeing which way he jumps.

He should really go back to Detroit and not get a ring but get his jersey retired instead.

El_Mago
07-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Udoka would be a nice choice.

spurster
07-01-2007, 08:14 PM
The Spurs already have White, Williams, and a growing overseas cache. The Nocioni idea is a good one, though unlikely. If you sign Hill, that means no chance for youth, and at some point, that is going to be worse than HITA.

However, signing Hill for the minimum though saves money and maintains the plan for another NO LIMIT summer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I suppose this is your pathetic attempt to question my intelligence, but sorry, that boat doesn't float, especially coming from an Aggie. I would be more than happy to compare GPA's, SAT's, GRE's or IQ's with anyone here.

Awesome, we've devolved into the "you're an Aggie" smack, and of course the SAT/GPA nonsense.

Look, all I know is unless the guy is white, you don't think he's that great. That alone tells me you're fucking dumber than a rock. I mean you're on here advocating how great Rasho, Beno, etc. are. I bet you think that Jack Haley is a better player than Jordan ever was.

I still don't understand how you're a Raptors fan, Utah has way more white boys than them.

ducks
07-01-2007, 09:59 PM
beno is to good to go to summer league?
wtf
he could go there
so people his talent and then be traded to go a team that would play him to get him a good contract offer next year
BENO HAS NO BRAINS

DR WU
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
scola's more help than hill. the last thing we need is another hobbled old man.

Sweetey
07-01-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm an Aggie and don't fuck with me, asshole ---- EVER !!! After you complete your GED -- if you do -- get back with me.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/jlo49/jackbauer.jpg

CosmicCowboy
07-01-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm an Aggie and don't fuck with me, asshole ---- EVER !!! After you complete your GED -- if you do -- get back with me

http://www.mtctickets.com/comedy/images/larry-the-cable-guy.jpg
Now thats funny I don't care who you are!

ploto
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm an Aggie and don't fuck with me, asshole ---- EVER !!! After you complete your GED -- if you do -- get back with me.

I'll make sure and invite you when I graduate with my Ph.D. It's next.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I'll make sure and invite you when I graduate with my Ph.D. It's next.

Doctorate in white boys. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Education smack. I love it.

CosmicCowboy
07-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Being educated doesn't necessarily make your posts worth a shit.

Just look at JimCS for a good example of that...:lol

T Park
07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
ooo burn.

nice one cc :lol

AFBlue
07-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Good article on possible destinations for Grant Hill...with San Antonio being among them. I still say it's not likely, but here's why it could happen and why it might not.

NBA teams' will to get Hill
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 2, 2007 10:04 PM

Grant Hill is pondering his free-agency options. These are his leading candidates. He is talking to teams and could reach a verbal agreement but can't sign until July 11.

Suns
Possible offer: The Suns could use all or part of the midlevel exception (about $5.5 million) or the biennial exception ($1.83 million) but will limit it to a veteran's minimum ($1,219,590) because of luxury tax issues.

Good for Hill: Hill would have a significant role as a scorer and distributor on a title contender. Light practices would help with his injury history.

Bad for Hill: The Suns' interest is not a knee-jerk reaction like signing Jalen Rose, but Hill must wonder if promises would be kept.

Detroit Pistons
Possible offer: The Pistons could do up to a midlevel exception but are pursuing Morris Peterson, too.

Good for Hill: Hill played with Pistons President and friend Joe Dumars. His best, healthy NBA days were in Detroit, also a title contender.

Bad for Hill: The Pistons are confident, but they were confident in 2000, too. There are bad memories with Detroit from unknowingly playing on a broken ankle in the 2000 playoffs. He would back up Tayshaun Prince.

San Antonio Spurs
Possible offer: The Spurs could do a midlevel but likely would not use it all for Hill.

Good for Hill: Hill's agent, Lon Babby, also represents Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen. His longtime shooting coach, Chip Engelland, is a Spurs assistant. San Antonio has rings to show off.

Bad for Hill: He would have to share time with wings Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley, Brent Barry and Bruce Bowen, and the system does not fit him as well.

Orlando Magic
Possible offer: The below-cap Magic can make any offer but will stick to the minimum.

Good for Hill: Hill's family (his wife is expecting a second child) is rooted in Orlando. He may feel he owes the Magic after making $92 million off injury-riddled seasons. Hill liked the Stan Van Gundy hire. Orlando believes it can keep him if it snags Rashard Lewis.

Bad for Hill: Hill wants a title, and the Magic may be the furthest from having that chance of any of his suitors.

Miami Heat
Possible offer: The Heat could go up to the midlevel exception but also is unlikely to offer it.

Good for Hill: The Heat need a third scorer, especially after losing Jason Kapono, and Hill would start there. Miami would not be a long flight from his home in Orlando.

Bad for Hill: Pat Riley's famously long practices could deter him, but Riley has cut that back for some players. Hill and Alonzo Mourning supposedly are not fond of one another.

Other teams: Toronto is likely out of the mix now that the Raptors agreed to terms with Jason Kapono for $24 million over six years. A source said New Jersey might also pursue Hill, but the Nets have not been mentioned by Hill's camp.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0702sunsgrid-ON.html

ATRAIN
07-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Damn I started a new thread on this and didnt even see it when I browsed the first 5 pages.........its tuesday 9 a.m. im so damn sleepy. Sorry Kori :).

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2007, 09:33 AM
One thought about a possible addition of Hill is that he can handle the ball well enough to take over the point when TP is out. As covered above, his game doesn't fit exactly what you would want in a Spurs' swingman (mainly that he hasn't demonstrated consistent 3 point range in his career). If you were to find a spot on the floor where his talents to penetrate, create, and score would fit it would be the 1. The question then would be about his ability to defend the 1. He has size, but defense at the 1 is predicated on quickness. If he was willing to join the Spurs at a cheap price I think the Spurs would be hard pressed to turn that down. But obviously, the Spurs add Hill if they dispose of Barry.

Maybe they could play Hill at the 4 if they go small. I'm not as convinced about that though. Overall, he would give the Spurs more flexibility in their lineup and things could be worse than having Hill as your 10th or 11th man.

Don Quixote
07-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Shoot ... my question is, what's a PhD student doing posting dumb smack like this? Most of the PhDs, DMins, and candidates for those degrees that I know are far above beating down others with their education. And very few of them have the time to post, let alone, read such drivel in the first place.

As a relatively puny M.Div. student (93 hours, about 3 years), I know I don't have time to take seriously 99% of the crap that gets posted here, let alone reply to it.

BacktoBasics
07-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Why in the world Hill think his game fits Phoenix is beyond me. I guess being in a wheelchair after 40 is his prime objective.

Russ
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
The Spurs will probably dodge this bullet. The three teams Hill may go to (per ESPN this morning) are Orlando, Detroit or, most likely, Phoenix. :)

AFBlue
07-03-2007, 09:57 AM
The Spurs will probably dodge this bullet. The three teams Hill may go to (per ESPN this morning) are Orlando, Detroit or, most likely, Phoenix. :)

Tough to see him in Orlando after his starting spot just got taken...and they still have Turkoglu.

Russ
07-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Tough to see him in Orlando after his starting spot just got taken...and they still have Turkoglu.
Orlando is apparently trying to lay a guilt trip on him, i.e., "We paid you 92 million for seven years and we only got two years. We could use a little consideration now."

O-Factor
07-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Hill would be a waste of our time. We don't need him to ride Duncan, Parker, and Gino to another title. Besides, he was all over the suns nuts during the playoffs. He doesn't want to play D...

smeagol
07-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Education smack. I love it.
Man, I'm running some measuring systems smack in the troll forum :lol

Care to join me?

ATRAIN
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
I heard somewhere that HIll wouldnt even consider SA.............is he high?

ATRAIN
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Hill would be a waste of our time. We don't need him to ride Duncan, Parker, and Gino to another title. Besides, he was all over the suns nuts during the playoffs. He doesn't want to play D...

Your a waste of my time!! hahahahah IS my game next?