PDA

View Full Version : Devin Brown to Denver?

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_6271956

Devin Brown fits role of hired help
Guard could sign as free agent
By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/01/2007 12:26:49 AM MDT

Today is the first day NBA teams can begin talking to free agents, and though the Nuggets are cash-strapped, Devin Brown has the team on his wish list, a league source said.

The Nuggets are likely to lose point guard Steve Blake to higher bidders and, additionally, are in search of deft perimeter shooters. Brown, a combo guard who played in 58 games with the New Orleans Hornets last season, has proven the ability to do both.

Brown, who was signed to a 10-day contract by the Nuggets during his rookie season of 2002-03, stepped in as the starting point guard in January with the Hornets when Chris Paul suffered a sprained right ankle. In the 12 games Brown started, the Hornets went 7-5, and the 6-foot-5, five-year pro averaged 13.7 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists.

Brown's averages of 11.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists last season ranked him in the top five on the team in those categories. Brown shot 35.7 percent from 3-point range. He played for San Antonio from 2003-05.

Signing free agents, however, is not a luxury the Nuggets have at the moment. With a payroll creeping toward $80 million, fiscal responsibility is the buzz phrase in the front office. The NBA's new salary cap and luxury tax threshold is due to be released in time for teams to start signing free agents on July 11.

Currently, the salary cap is $53.135 million and the luxury tax threshold is $65.42 million. Teams must pay a dollar for every dollar they are over the tax threshold. The Nuggets expect to be $10 million to $12 million in the red.

Teams over the salary cap can use a midlevel exception, if they would like, but barring significant changes Denver isn't expected to use its midlevel exception this summer.

J.R. update

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith attended his charity golf tournament Friday despite a report to the contrary, assistant coaches Mike Dunlap and Jamahl Mosley said.

Smith arrived late to the event but took part in the proceedings at Lakewood (N.J.) Country Club, which benefited the J.R. Smith Youth Foundation that provides academic scholarships. Dunlap and Mosley participated in the tournament.

Smith did not talk to media, but players and coaches have rallied around the 21-year-old, who was involved in a car accident on June 9 that resulted in the death of his friend, Andre Bell, who was in the vehicle.

"For the most part, he's dealing with it," said Nuggets center Marcus Camby, who attended a Rockies game with Smith on June 20 at Coors Field. "He's maintaining. We all know he's hurting a little bit. He may not show it in his face, but I know deep down inside he went through a traumatic experience. Hopefully he can overcome it and I'm sure he will.

"J.R. is like a brother to all of us, so we definitely want to see him on the right path."

exstatic
07-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Devin Brown >>> JR Smith

T Park
07-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Fuck...

Thats all they need is a player like Devin brown :pctoss

ObiwanGinobili
07-01-2007, 01:21 PM
can;t we kill beno and pick up Devin?

ManuTastic
07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I would LOVE Devin back in SA again.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-01-2007, 02:06 PM
can;t we kill beno and pick up Devin?

You had me at "Beno."

td4mvp3
07-01-2007, 03:46 PM
i guess that brent barry-jr smith deal is still dead? too bad.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Actually, I would think the Nuggets might give up JR Smith for whichever team picked up Denver's car insurance premiums for six months.

Bruno
07-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Nuggets are too looking at MoPete.

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Devin Brown is pretty damn clutch. A clutch shooter with size is the last thing I want the Nuggets to add to their roster. They are already going to be tough enough with AI and Melo getting more seasoning together ... plus Nene looks on his way to becoming a beast.

:depressed

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Devin Brown is pretty damn clutch. A clutch shooter with size is the last thing I want the Nuggets to add to their roster. They are already going to be tough enough with AI and Melo getting more seasoning together ... plus Nene looks on his way to becoming a beast.

True, but I wonder if Devin just might command (from some teams) a larger salary than the Nuggets are willing to get into. Plus, the two contracts that were agreed on today raise his value a little more.

T Park
07-01-2007, 04:07 PM
If Kapono is worth 6 friggen million...

What the hell is Devin Worth?

4? 5?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2007, 04:08 PM
If Kapono is worth 6 friggen million...

What the hell is Devin Worth?

4? 5?
10 :smokin

T Park
07-01-2007, 04:11 PM
I like Devin, but I wouldn't go that far :lol

AnkleBreaker21
07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
devin was great when he played for us, i would love to have him back.

Ken Loomis
07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Fuck...

:lmao :lmao :lmao

mikejones99
07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
denver gets kmart back too. they will be 2nd in west if they keep camby and phx breraks up

ShoogarBear
07-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Brown would be a good pickup for Denver, but at the same time Blake would be a big loss. Portland really wants him apparently, which I don't quite get either.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Portland really wants him apparently, which I don't quite get either.

They want Blake or Devin?

Because I can kind of see why they'd want Blake.

Blake / Jack / Rodriguez / Fernandez (with Franchise as the backup)
Oden

One ball, four points, one post.

Nate McMillan's wet dream.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2007, 06:10 PM
They want Blake or Devin?Blake.

Because I can kind of see why they'd want Blake.

Blake / Jack / Rodriguez / Fernandez (with Franchise as the backup)
Oden

One ball, four points, one post.

Nate McMillan's wet dream.:lol

lebomb
07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Ive said it for years now, that Devin was a good player. Almost everyone dissed me. :depressed

Darkwaters
07-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Ive said it for years now, that Devin was a good player. Almost everyone dissed me. :depressed

Devin definitely earned his keep with the Hornets last season. He was great.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2007, 01:33 AM
:smokin Let's hope this becomes reality

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Fuck...

Did you even read the article? It said Devin might want to go there, and then outlined why it won't happen from the Nuggets' end, and it won't. Try reading the article before you toss your computer... :rolleyes

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2007, 07:30 AM

JR folded like a deck of cards in round 1 - we don't want him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2007, 07:38 AM

Most people around here have been pretty high on him for years as far as I can tell.

I really enjoyed his work in 2005, and he was really good for the Hornets last year - I saw him from courtside when I was in SA in January! Have some good pics of him...

ManuTastic
07-02-2007, 07:45 AM

IF AI and Melo can mesh, then yes they'll be a pretty scary offensive team. But they still don't play enough defense to worry me. That said, I'd a lot rather have Devin come here and taking Barry's minutes, plus maybe a few of Bruce's, than going anywhere else, as long as it doesn't cost too much.