PDA

View Full Version : The scout who botched Scolas contract

Fabbs
07-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey everyone, little help here please. I've tried search, can't find.

ST had a thread/posts telling of the scout assigned to Scola as part of his duties was supposed to research his contract and report back to Spurs FO what the situation was (length, buyout amount). He failed to find out about the 12 year contract with buyout $$$ and here we are today. Was posted that he was subsequently let go by the Spurs.

Anyone find these post(s), or better yet a link to the articles on said Scola scout if available.

Myself, ST and by extension Kori are being called a flat liar by an individual who claims to live in SA, be a lifetime Spurs rooter and says the above is pure fabrication.

Twisted_Dawg
07-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Shouldn't realistically this thread be called:"The Agent that Botched Scola's Contract?"

Big P
07-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I think you might be talking about Nocioni..the Spurs wanted to draft him, but a former scout(obviously no longer witht the team) told the Spurs that he was draft ineligible(which wasn't the case), causing the Spurs to pass on Nocioni.

ploto
07-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Sorry, but I think your stories are crossed. It was a Spurs scout who screwed up Nocioni's birthday and his eligibility for the draft.

Finding reliable background information on players also could be difficult. The Spurs had interest in Argentine forward Andres Nocioni, but thought he wasn't draft eligible because one of their scouts provided an incorrect birth date.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100106.01N.BKNspurs.main.1174dfe.html

boutons_
07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Wasn't the problem with Scola's contract :

1) it was very hard to find out what it really said?

and

2) it was changed for the worse by his club?

Vito Corleone
07-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Why do you want to know, do you plan to beat him up?

SequSpur
07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
wgaf....

Fabbs
07-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Shouldn't realistically this thread be called:"The Agent that Botched Scola's Contract?" No. Because if the scout did his duty and got reliable info the Spurs would not have drafted Scola.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 01:31 PM
The Spurs knew about Scola's buyout when they drafted him. There was no botching by the scout.

The botching was on Nocioni's birthdate, as others stated.

ploto
07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I think people knew that a reduction of Scola's buy out was dependent upon his being drafted in the first round. I have never heard that the Spurs did not know this.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
I think people knew that a reduction of Scola's buy out was dependent upon his being drafted in the first round. I have never heard that the Spurs did not know this.

Me either.

I think Fabbs is mixing up details of Nocioni with details of Scola (as you stated earlier).

Fabbs
07-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Me either.

I think Fabbs is mixing up details of Nocioni with details of Scola (as you stated earlier).
No i thought for sure we had thread on Scolas scout being let go because of not getting the correct details on the contract. Why the ___ would the Spurs have signed Scola knowing the buyout as it has been and is?

T Park
07-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Why would they? Cause where he was drafted, he was the best player available.

They also assumed I think last summer, he would be willing to come over for a reasonable salary, and he went hollywood and wanted more.

ploto
07-01-2007, 01:42 PM
They used a second round draft pick on a good basketball player- whose buy-out the past 2 summers has been no worse than the one Nocioni had. The Spurs have chosen not to give Scola the same kind of contract Nocioni got to off-set the buy-out.

They also assumed I think last summer, he would be willing to come over for a reasonable salary, and he went hollywood and wanted more.
You realize the Spurs have never even offered Scola a contract.

Fabbs
07-01-2007, 01:49 PM
They used a second round draft pick on a good basketball player- whose buy-out the past 2 summers has been no worse than the one Nocioni had. The Spurs have chosen not to give Scola the same kind of contract Nocioni got to off-set the buy-out.

You realize the Spurs have never even offered Scola a contract.
But wasn't the buyout the deal killer? The Spurs were willing to potentially offer Scola 3-4 million a year for 3 years (basically same as Fabs got) but not combined with the buyout price?

Back to the Scola scout, am i gonna have to eat crow? No Spurs scout ever botched Scolas contract details?

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 01:54 PM
But wasn't the buyout the deal killer? The Spurs were willing to potentially offer Scola 3-4 million a year for 3 years (basically same as Fabs got) but not combined with the buyout price?

Back to the Scola scout, am i gonna have to eat crow? No Spurs scout ever botched Scolas contract details?

If the Spurs were willing to pay Scola that much last year (or this year), he could probably handle the buyout and come over. He could probably just take out a loan or arrange to pay payments to Tau to cover his buyout. But as far as I know, the Spurs have never officially offered him any amount.

Years ago, Scola's buyout was in excess of $10M but according to recent reports, it's right around $3M. That's similar to the buyout Nocioni and other players have had when they have come over. It's not impossible to handle if the Spurs really want him here and he really wants to be here.

And no, a Spurs scout never botched the details of the contract.

Scola thought he would be drafted in the first round - there was a clause in his contract with Tau that his buyout would be automatically reduced (or even eliminated?) if he was. When he was drafted in the second round, he and the Spurs both knew he had a major buyout issue.

Fabbs
07-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Yes i remember now the key time was summer of 2005. Scolas buyout at that time was still 10 mil so thus Fabs won out over Scola.

Big P I think you might be talking about Nocioni..the Spurs wanted to draft him, but a former scout(obviously no longer witht the team) told the Spurs that he was draft ineligible(which wasn't the case), causing the Spurs to pass on Nocioni.
So Big P was correct all along. So was Nocioni within the Spurs grasp and did a scout get fired over the birthdate screw up? He ended up signing with the Bulls as an undrafted free agent in summer 2004.