12-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Phoenix 121, Portland 99
Preview - Box Score - Recap

By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer
December 6, 2004

Photo
AP - Dec 5, 11:58 pm EST
More Photos
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Quentin Richardson used some long-range shooting to end the Phoenix Suns' short losing spell.

Richardson had his own 12-point run, on four 3-pointers, and scored 37 points to lift the Suns to a 121-99 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday.

He made eight 3s overall to help Phoenix (14-3) forget about its 97-93 loss Friday to Minnesota that snapped a nine-game winning streak.

``I definitely felt like I couldn't miss,'' Richardson said. ``The way those shots came down I didn't think I was going to miss.''

Richardson matched his career high for made 3-pointers, set against Boston last February, and equaled his career best with 12 attempts, reached twice before.

Shawn Marion had 16 points and 12 rebounds for the Suns, who led by as many as 25 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
``For us to regroup and get a good win over a good team, it says a lot about us, especially on the road,'' Marion said. ``Sometimes it takes a little bit more off of you on the road.''

The Blazers, coming off a 99-89 loss in Seattle on Saturday night, were led by Zach Randolph with 24 points and 11 rebounds. It was his ninth double-double of the season.

After the game, coach Maurice Cheeks huddled with his players. Later he suggested some lineup changes might be in store for the Blazers, who host Boston on Thursday.

``I'm not saying I'm going to do it but I'll be thinking about it,'' he said.

Forward Ruben Patterson, who plays in a reserve role, agreed that changes are needed for the 8-8 Blazers.

``Whatever happens, happens,'' Patterson said. ``But something has to happen because we're not winning.''

The teams went back and forth for most of the first half, until Richardson hit four straight 3-pointers to make it 55-47 for the Suns.

Photo
AP - Dec 5, 11:57 pm EST
More Photos
His first, with an assist from Steve Nash, gave Phoenix a 46-45 lead. After another with Nash's help, Portland's Damon Stoudamire answered with a jumper, but then Richardson hit his third, with an assist from Amare Stoudemire. His last in the streak came with help from Marion.

His next try, with 2:36 left in the half, just missed, but he made another with 1:26 to give Phoenix a 60-47 lead.

He was 6-for-9 from 3-point range in the first half, topping his season high of five accomplished at Cleveland on Nov. 10.

``Once he gets on a roll like that, he's very tough to stop,'' Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said.

Richardson was also 5-for-5 from the free-throw line, and the Suns made 20 of their 25 foul shots.

Stoudemire, who had 19 points, rubbed it in with an alley-oop dunk followed by another dunk that made it 89-66 for Phoenix in the third period.

Nash added 10 points and 11 assists for the Suns.

``I thought we would be a good team but I think it's important for us to realize that we're a long ways from being as good as we can be,'' Nash said.

Shereef Abdur-Rahim had 15 points and 11 rebounds for the Blazers.

Notes

Portland guard Nick Van Exel had to leave the game against the Sonics because of a hip pointer, but he was back against the Suns. ... The teams split four games with each other last season. ... Richardson has made multiple 3-pointers in five of his last six games. ... Richardson and Blazers forward Darius Miles are friends, dating to their childhood. They were featured in a documentary called ``The Youngest Guns,'' about their first two seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers.