PDA

View Full Version : Kapono a Raptor- WOW!!

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Details to follow...

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Free agent sharpshooter Jason Kapono has quickly reached an agreement Sunday to leave the Miami Heat and sign a four-year deal believed to be worth $24 million with the Toronto Raptors.

The NBA's free agent period commenced at 12:01 Sunday morning, with free agents unable to formally sign contracts before July 11.

"Jason is excited about this opportunity and intends to sign with the Raptors when the moratorium period ends," said Kapono's agent, Bob Myers.

Kapono, a second-round draft pick of the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003, led the NBA in 3-point percentage, and posted career-highs in points (10.9) and rebounds (2.7) this season.

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2922597

I knew BC was moving fast and furious and said he would overpay to get it done.

Brutalis
07-01-2007, 03:15 PM
He isn't anything huge, but should help a weak Raptors squad.

Bruno
07-01-2007, 03:16 PM
:lmao
$24M/4 years for Kapono. :rolleyes

El_Mago
07-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Nice.

Miami has flat out said they will not match deal for Kapono.

Toronto is making smart moves.

T Park
07-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Smart move?

:lmao

6 million a year for Jason Kapono?!?!!? :lmao

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:20 PM
It's a MLE deal for one of the few SF's out there whose team will let him go. It's a risk you take but the other option is sitting around for 3 weeks to sign offer sheets, and wait for teams to match.

El_Mago
07-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I feel it was a smart move.

Toronto plays "team ball" and Kapono is a "team" type of guy.

He brings Championship experience and hustles out there on the floor. Plus, he can knock down the three with ease.

They have a scorer inside in Bosh.

Thus, adding this years 3-pt Champion is relatively smart.

Plus, it is not like he broke the bank for Kapono.

Leetonidas
07-01-2007, 03:22 PM
He is one of the best three point shooters in the game. Not a bad deal.

kyleo
07-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I thought it was gratuitous at first...and then I remembered we pay Brent Barry $5.5 million.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Colangelo must have seen the name Kopono and thought he was from Europe.

T Park
07-01-2007, 03:25 PM
The whole MLE for Jason Kapono :lmao

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:26 PM
It's a lot of money, but you have the whole MLE available to get someone you want. Bryan has shown he likes to take care of things quickly, and I really don't think there was that much interest from the other SF's going to Toronto. As I said before, most of the RFA will stay where they are.

T Park
07-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I thought it was gratuitous at first...and then I remembered we pay Brent Barry $5.5 million.

Yeah, hopefully that can be changed with exchanging him to Chicago......

zekes
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Colangelo must have seen the name Kopono and thought he was from Europe.

:lol

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
ploto approves of this signing.

T Park
07-01-2007, 03:28 PM
a new white boy for Utah north.

Brutalis
07-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Like I said it was a good move for Toronto... they really don't have a lot to offer other than making trades to get better.

Brutalis
07-01-2007, 03:30 PM
a new white boy for Utah north.
:donkey

El_Mago
07-01-2007, 03:30 PM
BC is damn smart GM.

He's never been afraid of making bold moves, good scout, and is pretty good at evaluating talent.

This is what the Raptors needed.

T Park
07-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah trading for Nesterovic was just a fantastic move.

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:32 PM
When will teams learn not to overvalue shooters who play on a team with Shaq? This is going to turn out to be Damon Jones all over again.

Yeah, Kapono is a good shooter when he's open, but Shaq and Wade had a lot to do with that. As was evident the other years of his career, Kapono can't create shots for himself. He can hit open shots, but he'll see far fewer open shots on the Raptors than he will the Heat.

At least Bryan Colangelo has cemented himself as the most overrated GM in the game.

T Park
07-01-2007, 03:34 PM
He can hit open shots, but he'll see far fewer open shots on the Raptors than he will the Heat.

He'll be lucky if he averages 6 points a game with the Raptors.

Bruno
07-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Kapono can too grab 11 rebounds against Spurs. :lol

picnroll
07-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Not to mention he's possibly the worst defender at SF in the game.

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:40 PM
$24M for Jason freakin' Kapono? That's just ridiculous. Every shooter should sign with the team that has Shaq on it for one year and then cash in after they set a career-high in three-point percentage.

I guess there is always a sucker out there.

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:41 PM
The best news is that second round pick from the Raptors looks better already :hungry:

OldDirtMcGirt
07-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Not to mention he's possibly the worst defender at SF in the game.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_antawn_jamison.jpg

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:43 PM
For the record, Kapono is one of the nicest guys in the league. He's funny too. I wish the Spurs would have signed him.

... back a couple years ago when he could have been had for the league minimum.

El_Mago
07-01-2007, 03:44 PM
So you don't think Bosh can demand doubles and and create open shots for his teammates?

Bruno
07-01-2007, 03:44 PM
The best news is that second round pick from the Raptors looks better already :hungry:

And Raptors won't try to overpay Oberto.

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:46 PM
So you don't think Bosh can demand doubles and and create open shots for his teammates?

Bosh isn't a low post player. He's more Garnett than Shaq. He'll create some looks but not nearly the amount of looks that Shaq and Wade created for Kapono.

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:46 PM
For the record, Kapono is one of the nicest guys in the league. He's funny too. I wish the Spurs would have signed him.

... back a couple years ago when he could have been had for the league minimum.
Spurs would have had him, too, had Finley not chosen San Antonio. He waited all summer for them.

Findog
07-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Key contributor for the Heat last year. Good to see.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
He's a good player but nowhere near $24M.

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Look, I already said they are spending alot, but you have to be realistic. The Raptors really need a SF, and most of the guys out there are restricted or not interested in going to Toronto. Jason will fit in there very well with the guys they have and chemistry has been the strongest suit for the Raptors this past year. When you have the MLE, what good does it do to hold back 1/4 of it when you don't have many roster spots to fill?

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Spurs would have had him, too, had Finley not chosen San Antonio. He waited all summer for them.

Not true.

Kapono signed with the Heat before Finley made his decision to sign with the Spurs.

I think that was your fantasy overtaking reality :)

Bruno
07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Not true.

Kapono signed with the Heat before Finley made his decision to sign with the Spurs.

I think that ploto is right, Kapono signed one week before the training camp.

OldDirtMcGirt
07-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Look, I already said they are spending alot, but you have to be realistic. The Raptors really need a SF, and most of the guys out there are restricted or not interested in going to Toronto. Jason will fit in there very well with the guys they have and chemistry has been the strongest suit for the Raptors this past year. When you have the MLE, what good does it do to hold back 1/4 of it when you don't have many roster spots to fill?

Posey and Nocioni are both much better players.

JamStone
07-01-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_antawn_jamison.jpg

1. He's a power forward
2. He defends better than Kapono
3. At least he rebounds

Bruno
07-01-2007, 03:53 PM
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=684392

Raptors fans reaction about this signing, overpaid is the most used word in this thread...

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2007, 03:53 PM
So much for that report on them saving the MLE for Pietrus.

OldDirtMcGirt
07-01-2007, 03:54 PM
1. He's a power forward
2. He defends better than Kapono
3. At least he rebounds

He's more a of a tweener. And Jamison is easily one of the worst defensive starters in the NBA.

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Not true.

I think that was your fantasy overtaking reality :)
Nope- Jason signed with Miami the first day of training camp after waiting for the Spurs to get their answer from Finley.

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I think that ploto is right, Kapono signed one week before the training camp.

Thanks a lot Bruno. I wanted to try to make ploto erupt.

:madrun

ploto
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Posey and Nocioni are both much better players.
Lots of people are better players but they aren't going to Toronto, so it does not matter.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM

I agree with this assessment. It's overpaying for him. But it's hard to lure someone to Toronto on the cheap. There's not much difference to their organization in the big picture from giving him $4M a year or $6M ... except that $6M will get him to come to Toronto.

timvp
07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Nope- Jason signed with Miami the first day of training camp after waiting for the Spurs to get their answer from Finley.

If Kapono was supposedly waiting on the Spurs, why'd it take him a month to move on?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Lots of people are better players but they aren't going to Toronto, so it does not matter.
They could've if they didn't sign Kopono. :p:

Bruno
07-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks a lot Bruno. I wanted to try to make ploto erupt.

:madrun

You should have said that one of Kapono greatfathers was black. ;)

timvp
07-01-2007, 04:01 PM

That's some weird logic. Why do you think Kapono signed so fast? I'm sure his agent got the outrageous offer and had Kapono sign it in five seconds.

Saving a couple million here and there can be the difference in having no cap room and enough cap room to steal a promising free agent. But then again, Colangelo doesn't know how to work cap room seeing as he ate an albatross of a contract for a player getting DNP-CD's in the playoffs.

You might have a point.

T Park
Finley signed in the middle of August....

Way way way overpaid this little sonic the hedgehog.

OldDirtMcGirt

I'm just saying that they could've gotten either one of them instead of Kapono.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm just saying that they could've gotten either one of them instead of Kapono.

Probably not. Many players refuse to play in Toronto.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Why not go after Walter Herrmann?

OldDirtMcGirt
07-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Probably not. Many players refuse to play in Toronto.

I would think that Nocioni would be good, because there's alot of international players in Toronto.

Bruno
07-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Why not go after Walter Herrmann?

He isn't a FA.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
He isn't a FA.
Good reason.

How about Spurs go after him. Beno + rights to Scola.

T Park
07-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Hes a RFA

and Herrmann >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kopono

BigBeezie
07-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Not a very wise move for signing this guy. He can shoot the three....but he had the pleasure of Shaq and D-Wade pulling most defenders to them.

kyleo
07-01-2007, 04:14 PM
In '05-'06 (Miami's Championship year), Kapono shot 44 % from the field, and 40% from three in 51 games. In '06-'07, with Shaq playing 40 games and D-Wade playing 51 games, Kapono shot nearly 50 % from the field, and over 50% from three-point range. He did that in 26 minutes over 67 games, which means he often shot well without Shaq or Wade drawing extra attention. As a GM, you see a sharpshooter who rose to the occasion when the "stars" were out, so I can see why they gave him that contract. However, he's an awful rebounder at the SF position, and, as has been mentioned, a poor defender. So if his three-point shot falls off a bit, he doesn't bring much else to he table. It's like Brent Barry without the playmaking ability.

exstatic
07-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I would think that Nocioni would be good, because there's alot of international players in Toronto.
It's not about the player mix, it's about the income tax rate.

Bruno
07-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Hes a RFA

No, he isn't.
Herrmann signed a two years contract with a team option on the second year last summer.
I don't think too that Herrmann is a good player.

Borosai
07-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Overpaid.

And what's wrong with Toronto? I'm sure it's a nice city... or am I thinking of Montreal? I'd play there. Hell, pay me $100,000 and I'll make 60% of my wide-open 3s too.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 04:28 PM

Nocioni will likely get more than the MLE.

Darkwaters
07-01-2007, 04:37 PM
This sucks. It will likely mean that trying to grab Posey will be just that much harder now.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
This sucks. It will likely mean that trying to grab Posey will be just that much harder now.
Posey ain't happening. It's vet minimum or S&Ts.

timvp
07-01-2007, 04:43 PM

The Heat have all but announced that they won't be able to compete for Posey. He's pretty much there for the highest bidder.

The problem is the Spurs will go deep into the luxury tax if they sign him. Either sign and trade or the Spurs would have to do some type of salary dump ... like Barry to a team with cap room or a trade exception for a pick.

JamStone
07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
He's more a of a tweener. And Jamison is easily one of the worst defensive starters in the NBA.

A tweener that STARTS and MOSTLY PLAYS power forward.

Caron Butler - SF
DeShawn Stevenson - SG

picnroll
07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I think the Spurs are signaling indirectly the don't intend to deviate from the '08 plan. Maybe for a Nocioni but maybe not even for him.

T Park
07-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I've been saying that.....

coachmac87
07-01-2007, 05:03 PM

ya we signed him...

coachmac87
07-01-2007, 05:05 PM
spurs need at least one free agent...we did win the championship but it doesnt mean our team needs improvement...

resistanze
07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I was hearing rumors about Pietrus, Grant Hill, Luke Walton...and we end up with KAPONO? For 24 million??

The last 24 million dollar signing I remember the Raptors making?

Michael "Yogi" Stewart.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Are we putting all FA signing on the Spurs board now? Or just the ones that give ploto orgasms?

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Are we putting all FA signing on the Spurs board now? Or just the ones that give ploto orgasms?

Anything noteworthy is fine.

A lot of signings by other teams will affect the Spurs.

This one is worth being here because the price tag might set the bar for other players this summer.

timvp
07-01-2007, 05:40 PM
This one is worth being here because the Spurs' second round draft pick from the Raptors next year just got juicier.

Fixed.

:hungry:

ShoogarBear
07-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Fixed.

:hungry:I dunno. They stopped playing Rasho, didn't they?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
It's a lot of money, but you have the whole MLE available to get someone you want. Bryan has shown he likes to take care of things quickly, and I really don't think there was that much interest from the other SF's going to Toronto. As I said before, most of the RFA will stay where they are.

We have a term for posts like this. It's called denial.

Your team blew its wad for a three point shooter.

I'm sure you think it's a great deal though, he's certainly the right skin color for you.

michaelwcho
07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Overpaid.

And what's wrong with Toronto? I'm sure it's a nice city... or am I thinking of Montreal? I'd play there. Hell, pay me $100,000 and I'll make 60% of my wide-open 3s too.

Ecstatic already mentioned it, but I believe it's because you pay more taxes in Canada than the US (significantly more), so the contract isn't worth as much.

Supergirl
07-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Prediction: He won't be anything close to the best 3-pointer shooter when he isn't playing on a team with Shaq/Zo.

ploto
07-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Prediction: He won't be anything close to the best 3-pointer shooter when he isn't playing on a team with Shaq/Zo.
In December and January, Kapono hit 50 per cent and 58.3 per cent of his threes, respectively, a stretch in which O'Neal played only four games.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070701.wsptraptors1/GSStory/GlobeSportsBasketball/home

Kori Ellis
07-01-2007, 11:36 PM
He's one of the purest shooters in the league. He will still hit a lot of 3's wherever he's playing.

BeerIsGood!
07-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Ecstatic already mentioned it, but I believe it's because you pay more taxes in Canada than the US (significantly more), so the contract isn't worth as much.

On that same note, you'd figure the Spurs/Rockets/Mavs would be great locations for FA since there is no state income tax, only Federal.

ploto
07-01-2007, 11:53 PM
I also think you have to look at the basic economics of the NBA. It is called the MLE for a reason. I would fathom that most would agree that taking into account all the aspects of his play that Jason Kapono is at least an average NBA player. Not all teams have the luxury of Cuban subsidizing one of its players or having a guy like Bruce who plays for much less and stays in SA.

Also every team either through cap space or the MLE has this same type deal to offer, and when you see who all ends up with the MLE this summer, this won't look so bad at all. Also, I don't believe he is getting the whole MLE- not that it really matters to me.

timvp
07-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I also think you have to look at the basic economics of the NBA. It is called the MLE for a reason. I would fathom that most would agree that taking into account all the aspects of his play that Jason Kapono is at least an average NBA player. Not all teams have the luxury of Cuban subsidizing one of its players or having a guy like Bruce who plays for much less and stays in SA.

Also every team either through cap space or the MLE has this same type deal to offer, and when you see who all ends up with the MLE this summer, this won't look so bad at all. Also, I don't believe he is getting the whole MLE- not that it really matters to me.

That said, is Rasho worth his contract? :stirpot:

ploto
07-02-2007, 02:28 AM
That said, is Rasho worth his contract? :stirpot:
When he signed with the Spurs, yes. It was below his market value at the time, in a year with a shortage of centers who would leave their current team. Contracts were longer then, too. That was just the way it was. For all people's bitching and moaning, it still turned out to be a better signing than Brad Miller or Kandi. The funny thing is, fans mostly griped that they thought he couldn't handle Shaq, who was the big threat at the time, and that ended up one of his strengths. Game 1 against the Lakers in 2004 will always be one of the highlights of his career.

When Toronto traded for him last year, I still say yes. Again, the alternatives were five year MLE deals to guys like Nazr- if they could even convince one of them to go to Toronto. The Raptors also gave up almost nothing to get him and managed to find a center without using any capspace, by using a trade. The Raptors had a certain role in mind and the length of Rasho's deal fit perfectly.

This year- of course not. But I continue to contend that if Rasho is still a Raptor in June, he will opt out and sign a new cheap deal to stay in Toronto and that final year of his contract won't matter.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2007, 02:31 AM
as overrated as pejas contract

ploto
07-02-2007, 02:33 AM
Peja got a whole lot more than Kapono.

Bruno
07-02-2007, 05:35 AM
This year- of course not. But I continue to contend that if Rasho is still a Raptor in June, he will opt out and sign a new cheap deal to stay in Toronto and that final year of his contract won't matter.

Is it based on something you've heard/read or is it just your feeeling/wishfull thinking ?

Admidave50
07-02-2007, 06:13 AM
LOL @ ploto being exstatic! Get laid dude, this trade sucks

Kamnik
07-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm sure you think it's a great deal though, he's certainly the right skin color for you.

bullshit statement

out of my favoruite players in the NBA 4 of 5 are white but it doesnt have anything to do with the fact they are white

some of you act like a bunch of fucking forum bullies

GROW UP, even ploto is entitled to an opinion

and i basicly agree with what ploto and Kori wrote; that it isnt such a terrible contract considering that is Toronto (not the most favourite destination), they really need a 3 AND a shooter.

If you want a terrible 3 spot contract take a look at the Hornets.

picnroll
07-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Game 1 against the Lakers in 2004 will always be one of the highlights of his career.
That game was fool's gold. Spurs went into the game with a plsn to front Shaq with Rasho and the Lakers used a bad angle on the entry pass for the entire game. So much for the coaching genius of Phil Jackson. The next game the Lakers adjusted and used a different angle on the entry pass and Rasho was useless.

velik_m
07-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Not a good signing, still not the worst of them either. The length of the contract is even more problematic than the size of it.
Still Kapono is an ok guy.

velik_m
07-02-2007, 09:05 AM

Yeah the Raptors are still crying over 20 win improvement over previous season. The trade really backfired on them.

timvp
07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
When he signed with the Spurs, yes. It was below his market value at the time, in a year with a shortage of centers who would leave their current team.Well below market value? Minnesota was offering a couple more million but it was far from "well below market value".

His market value was what he ended up getting from the Spurs give or take a couple million over the length of the deal.

For all people's bitching and moaning, it still turned out to be a better signing than Brad Miller or Kandi. I don't know about that. Rasho was $7M a year and Miller was $9M a year. Miller made an All-Star team along the way. That one is probably a wash but if forced to pick, most would go with Miller.

Kandi's deal turned out to be better than both of them. Yeah, Kandi sucked but his deal was cheap, short and was over fast.

The funny thing is, fans mostly griped that they thought he couldn't handle Shaq, who was the big threat at the time, and that ended up one of his strengths. Game 1 against the Lakers in 2004 will always be one of the highlights of his career.Game 1 was more a matter of Shaq being 3-for-13 from the line. I notice you didn't mention Game 2 and Shaq's 15-for-21 from the field as a career highlight. :lol

But yeah, Rasho's defense was better than expected. The problem was his offense was about 500 times worse than expected.

When Toronto traded for him last year, I still say yes. Again, the alternatives were five year MLE deals to guys like Nazr- if they could even convince one of them to go to Toronto. No the alternative was playing Bosh at center or biting the bullet and going with Bargnani a year early. Or, in other words, what they ended up doing in the playoffs.

The Raptors also gave up almost nothing to get him and managed to find a center without using any capspace, by using a trade. Without using capspace? :lol

You do realize that if Colangelo would have waited a year, he'd be about $15-20M under the cap right now, right? Instead, Colangelo blew his wad last summer and now this summer the result is he has to overpay a one-dimension jump shooter instead of having max money to go get a player to put with Bosh.

This year- of course not. But I continue to contend that if Rasho is still a Raptor in June, he will opt out and sign a new cheap deal to stay in Toronto and that final year of his contract won't matter. :lmao I know Rasho is a good guy and everything, but he's not going to throw away $8M.

Want to make a title bet? If Rasho opts out and signs a cheap deal with Toronto, I'll change my title to "Rasho and ploto own me". If that doesn't happen, your title becomes "I love Jackie Butler!"

Deal?

ploto
07-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Well below market value? Minnesota was offering a couple more million but it was far from "well below market value".

I don't know about that. Rasho was $7M a year and Miller was $9M a year. Miller made an All-Star team along the way. That one is probably a wash but if forced to pick, most would go with Miller.

:lmao I know Rasho is a good guy and everything, but he's not going to throw away $8M.

Want to make a title bet? If Rasho opts out and signs a cheap deal with Toronto, I'll change my title to "Rasho and ploto own me". If that doesn't happen, your title becomes "I love Jackie Butler!"

Deal?
First off- I never said WELL below market. Find where I said that- I simply said Below Market Value.

Second, I think most people would take the 2 years left on Rasho's deal over Miller's 3 years anyday of the week and twice on Sunday

Third, I will take the following bet- but it is contingent on Rasho being a Raptor on June 30, 2008. I will change my title to "I Love Jackie Butler" for 6 months if Rasho is still a Raptor at the end of June 2008 and he does not opt out. That is the only part over which he has control- as to what works out specificaly after that, that I can't bet on.

timvp
07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
First off- I never said WELL below market. Find where I said that- I simply said Below Market Value.

True. My bad.

But then again, considering the state taxes, the Spurs offer was actually more than the Timberwolves' offer. So it wasn't even really below market value at all.

Second, I think most people would take the 2 years left on Rasho's deal over Miller's 3 years anyday of the week and twice on Sunday

Don't know about that.

Third, I will take the following bet- but it is contingent on Rasho being a Raptor on June 30, 2008. I will change my title to "I Love Jackie Butler" for 6 months if Rasho is still a Raptor at the end of June 2008 and he does not opt out. That is the only part over which he has control- as to what works out specificaly after that, that I can't bet on.

Ok, so you withdraw the statement that he's going to sign a cheap deal with the Raptors after opting out?

Still looks like a deal to me. I'd be utterly shocked if Rasho left $8.5M on the table to opt out. Especially after next year when Bargnani moves into the starting lineup and Rasho plays either Elson or Butler level minutes.

spurscenter
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
kapono is my boy from ucla.

im glad for him

Slomo
07-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Deal?Please, please please God make Ploto be right!

I will personally change timvp's title and bug him about it for at leat the next week or so!
:p:
:lol

ploto
07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Ok, so you withdraw the statement that he's going to sign a cheap deal with the Raptors after opting out?

Still looks like a deal to me. I'd be utterly shocked if Rasho left $8.5M on the table to opt out. Especially after next year when Bargnani moves into the starting lineup and Rasho plays either Elson or Butler level minutes.
It is only because he does not have control over what the Raptors will want.

Rasho would like to stay in Toronto. If he picks up his option next summer, he is surely gone. If Toronto would like to keep him around, and I think they would, then what I said will come true.

So that is why I said- my wager is that Rasho will opt out if he is still on the Raptors next June (preferably to sign a new deal with Toronto-- but not definitely to sign a new deal with Toronto).

Truth is, if it had worked out with the Spurs, he would have done it in SA- opted out of the last year to save $ for the team and get a new deal in return for more years.

callo1
07-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Excellent, maybe the Heat have the need for a 3 pt shooter. Perfect opportunity to ship Brent off.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2007, 03:59 PM
More than likely yes.

wildchild
07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Peja got a whole lot more than Kapono.

:clap

RaptorsFan
07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
No the alternative was playing Bosh at center or biting the bullet and going with Bargnani a year early. Or, in other words, what they ended up doing in the playoffs.

Clearly you didn't watch many Raptor regular season games because Rasho was a vital cog on the defensive end for the Raps. In the playoffs, the wheels had come off the Raptors offense for whatever reason so Sam Mitchell went with the clear offensive upgrade in Bargnani over the defensive upgrade in Rasho. Since the Nets had pretty much no interior presence, there wasn't much point to having Rasho on the floor.

Without using capspace? :lol

You do realize that if Colangelo would have waited a year, he'd be about $15-20M under the cap right now, right? Instead, Colangelo blew his wad last summer and now this summer the result is he has to overpay a one-dimension jump shooter instead of having max money to go get a player to put with Bosh.

Thank god you're not the Raptors GM, because you clearly have no clue what the Raptors cap situation is. Bosh's max contract and TJ Ford's extension kicked in July 1st, and brought the Raptors well over the cap. It didn't matter if he traded for Rasho or not. The Raptors would have been over the cap this summer either way. Anyways, I'd rather have my GM "blow his wad" and make lower-profile astute signings like Anthony Parker and Jorge Garbajosa leading to an Executive of the Year award, rather than wait and sign Rashard Lewis to a near-max contract.

ploto
07-04-2007, 01:18 PM
didn't read the thread, but does that mean mo-pete is available?
Always was...

zekes
07-05-2007, 01:00 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2926378&univLogin02=stateChanged

Jason Kapono to Toronto (four years, $24 million)
Short-term C+, long-term C+
I was a bit taken aback by the money here -- $6 million a year for a player I judge inferior to both Carroll and Walton. Kapono had a good year in 2006-07, but he's also had several duds. His projected PER next year of 12.60 is not impressive (I'll have all the projections out in a little while, if you're wondering), and he's not going to add much at the defensive end either.

The reason the grade here isn't worse is because: (a) Kapono answers a short-term need, (b) he fits the system, and (c) they kept the deal short. The Raptors were running low on small forwards, especially with MoPete headed out the door, and Kapono was the best one available within their means. He also lets them space the floor with four shooters around T.J. Ford (Bosh, Bargnani and Parker being the other three), which should make him a good fit there.

But most importantly, they're not paying for his decline years. Kapono is 26 now and will be 30 when the contract ends; there's a huge difference between that and paying somebody like Walton or Carroll until age 33. So while I don't think Kapono is worth $6 million a year, or anything close to it, at least the Raptors limited their downside risk.

ploto
07-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Kapono is better than Carroll.