PDA

View Full Version : Mavs interested in Gerald Wallace

Ken Loomis
07-01-2007, 05:51 PM
The Mavericks' No. 1 target in free agency? Folks in Dallas might have been expecting Mavs killer Matt Barnes, but I'm told it's actually Charlotte's Gerald Wallace. ...

Surely you haven't forgotten the drill: Teams and free agents can reach verbal agreements at any time in the next 10 days, but new contracts can't actually be signed before July 11 while the league finishes determining the salary-cap figure for next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2922326

A signing like this makes the Mavs so much harder to beat!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Maybe sign & trade Wallace for $8.5M+Felton for Terry+Buckner+rights to Fazekas? I'm not good at trade scenarios for other teams so give me a break.

jdaveah
07-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Not a chance Charlotte would let Felton go.

mavs>spurs2
07-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Anyone think they are trying to get him as a Josh Howard replacement, if the Garnett rumors are true?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Anyone think they are trying to get him as a Josh Howard replacement, if the Garnett rumors are true?
I would make that assumption as well.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Soon to be followed by:

Mavs interested in KG.
Mavs interesteed in Kobe.
Mavs interested in Jermainse O'Neal
Mavs interested in the entire FA class of '08.

mavs>spurs2
07-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I would make that assumption as well.

I mean, what other reason would we need Wallace if we are planning on keeping howard? Wallace is a starter caliber player, I dont see him coming off the bench. And I especially don't see the mavs paying him 10 mill a year to come off the bench. The only explanation I see is the mavs getting ready to move Howard to bring in KG.

picnroll
07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
I mean, what other reason would we need Wallace if we are planning on keeping howard? Wallace is a starter caliber player, I dont see him coming off the bench. And I especially don't see the mavs paying him 10 mill a year to come off the bench. The only explanation I see is the mavs getting ready to move Howard to bring in KG.
Okay mavs>spurs how exaactly are you going to sign a 10 mill a year player? And while you at it, since it would require a S&T to get Wallace, who are you going to then trade to get KG? This should be good.

mavs>spurs2
07-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Okay mavs>spurs how exaactly are you going to sign a 10 mill a year player? And while you at it, since it would require a S&T to get Wallace, who are you going to then trade to get KG? This should be good.

I have no idea how they would make all this work, that's why it's speculation. I'm just wondering why we would have any interest in Wallace when we already have a similar player in Howard, that just doesn't make any sense.

And as far as the mavs making a move for KG, http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/teams/Dallas+Mavericks/nba.t.6

Any deal for Garnett would have to be centered around Howard plus picks.
Once again, these are all just rumors, no one actually knows how much truth is behind them.

Brutalis
07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Who isn't?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the yearly Mark Cuban goes after highly coveted free agent _______________ mediafest.

And the 30K millionaires living in Dallas will line up to kiss his ass, even when he doesn't bring anyone in.

BradLohaus
07-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I mean, what other reason would we need Wallace if we are planning on keeping howard? Wallace is a starter caliber player, I dont see him coming off the bench. And I especially don't see the mavs paying him 10 mill a year to come off the bench.

Can Howard play the 2? If so, you could move Terry in a 3 team deal if another team wants Terry and has players that the Bobcats could use.

Short of getting KG without giving up Dirk, I think getting this guy would be the best move Dallas could make.

Don Quixote
07-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Yes! Gerald Wallace is the player the Mavericks need to finally get over the hump, and win a championship. He is the missing piece.

I am sure that, upon signing Wallace, for KG for that matter, Dallas will run off a spectacular regular season and be poised to finally win it.

Findog
07-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Can Howard play the 2? If so, you could move Terry in a 3 team deal if another team wants Terry and has players that the Bobcats could use.

Short of getting KG without giving up Dirk, I think getting this guy would be the best move Dallas could make.

Howard shot 39% from 3-point range last year in his fourth season in the League. He gets better year after year. Honestly, considering how much we have to give up to make salaries work, and KG's cap figure if he doesn't waive his trade kicker, I'm not all that hot about bringing him in.

A sign and trade with Charlotte, with Terry as the centerpiece and Josh sliding over to the 2, I like that A LOT. Howard is our best defender and we suffered against the Warriors because of how much size we gave up in the backcourt to Richardson and Davis. Howard would solve that problem, and Wallace goes a long way towards solving some of the problems we have with teams like the Warriors and Suns that play up-tempo smallball. That has been our Achilles' heel. If we could pull that off, of course there are no guarantees, but given how much less it disrupts our core, and the lesser financial impact, I think it makes us better.

Findog
07-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Yes! Gerald Wallace is the player the Mavericks need to finally get over the hump, and win a championship. He is the missing piece.

He makes us better. There are no guarantees in life. I'm not sure how we get him though, it would take a SnT and I can't imagine the Bobcats will be outbid considering the capspace they have. Only way this works is if Wallace wants to go to a contender and is willing to take a bit less money.

I am sure that, upon signing Wallace, for KG for that matter, Dallas will run off a spectacular regular season and be poised to finally win it

I am sure that bringing in Wallace or standing pat, we'll be right back in the mix next year. As for the playoffs, who knows? We've been a real Jekyll and Hyde kind of team. You got Jekyll, the Heat and Warriors got Hyde.

B and P Cats
07-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Jordan has done it again! We are going to suck so bad this year! I can't believe they are going to let Wallace go. We were getting better too. There are several other good players that are unrestricted or restricted free agents this year that I don't see them doing anything about either. Anyone want them? :madrun

Findog
07-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Jordan has done it again! We are going to suck so bad this year! I can't believe they are going to let Wallace go. We were getting better too. There are several other good players that are unrestricted or restricted free agents this year that I don't see them doing anything about either. Anyone want them? :madrun

Wallace is definitely a keeper. They have the money to give him what he wants. Cats won 33 games and in the East they could've done even better if Hermann had gotten the Stache's minutes all year long. But we'll gladly take him off your hands. :p:

B and P Cats
07-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Wallace is definitely a keeper. They have the money to give him what he wants. Cats won 33 games and in the East they could've done even better if Hermann had gotten the Stache's minutes all year long. But we'll gladly take him off your hands. :p:

Sure they have the money to give to him! I am sorry they are not giving it to him. I was hoping to see them win more than 33 games this year and continue their upward trek. Now we'll have to see. I'm sure he would rather be with a contender anyway. He should help you if you get him.

Somewhere I heard that they were hoping to get a star player shortly that could come in and really contribute. For whatever that is worth.:wtf

MrChug
07-02-2007, 01:58 AM

I really REALLY would give the Mavs FO the biggest ups for this if it happened. The fact is though that Wallace is better than Howard. Far more upside, younger. I'd take his no-free throw shootin ass over howard in a heartbeat.

Amarelooms
07-02-2007, 07:42 AM
I really REALLY would give the Mavs FO the biggest ups for this if it happened. The fact is though that Wallace is better than Howard. Far more upside, younger. I'd take his no-free throw shootin ass over howard in a heartbeat.

You my friend are a moron :elephant

Testing
07-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Who'd be the Mavs backup PG if they trade Terry? I'm guessing Darris would permanantly move to the starting lineup...However, he is not very consistent.

Findog
07-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Who'd be the Mavs backup PG if they trade Terry? I'm guessing Darris would permanantly move to the starting lineup...However, he is not very consistent.

Probably something to address with the MLE...Steve Blake, perhaps? More burn for JJB?

monosylab1k
07-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Harris need to be the unquestioned starting PG and stay that way all season regardless of what happens to Terry.

Humble Billy Hayes
07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Here let me try this one out to see if he's a good fit -

"Gerald Wallace....... twooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shots!"

Wow, that sounded really good. Sign that motherfucker!

NBA Junkie
07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I might've taken this shit seriously if it was from a source other than ESPN.

They're not exactly based on facts, just rumors and speculation that their journalists just huddle around and make up.

StylisticS
07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
well Harris needs to be out there so he can become consistent. I, as well well as the majority of the fanbase, am getting tired of him being benched just because he makes the slightest mistake. How is he going to learn if you do that? If we have to take a step back for a year for him to become our main point guard, than so be it.

picnroll
07-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Cuban filling out his fantasy league team again this summer.

Hornet's doing Wallace in a S&T for Terry. :rollin

mardigan
07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Mavs target free-agent Wallace

11:33 PM CDT on Sunday, July 1, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The Mavericks were among the first half-dozen teams to inquire about free-agent swingman Gerald Wallace, but it will be a long, difficult journey to acquire him.

It's also possible that other free-agent targets will be more obtainable.

Still, Wallace is near or at the top of the Mavs' wish list, even though acquiring him will take much more than the mid-level exception, which is expected to be between $5.8 million and $6 million.

Wallace, who averaged 18.1 points and 7.2 rebounds for Charlotte last season, is considered one of the top-three free agents left on the board, along with Seattle's Rashard Lewis and Detroit's Chauncey Billups. He will command as much as $10 million annually, which means the Mavericks would have to work a sign-and-trade deal with the Bobcats.

"We're working the phones," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Sunday. "We were on it until 2:30 in the morning doing our jobs and knowing what's out there. We got a lot of lines out, and we don't know which one is going to hit.

"We're just going to take our time. It could be a day or it could be a month."

It will be difficult to get anything done with Wallace. Most insiders believe he will stay with Charlotte even though the Bobcats last week traded for Jason Richardson, who plays the same position as Wallace.

The Mavericks would have to ship contracts that match within 25 percent of the starting salary Wallace gets. And the Bobcats would no doubt want hefty value on the players coming their way.

Gerald Wallace (right) averaged 18.1 points and 7.2 rebounds for Charlotte last season. Wallace's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not immediately return phone calls.

The Mavericks are also interested in forward P.J. Brown, whose agent, Mark Bartelstein, also represents James Posey and Mikki Moore. Brown is contemplating retirement, but the Mavericks may be able to acquire him for their biannual exception, which is worth $1.8 million.

Others on the Mavs' board are Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus from Golden State.

On the home front, Nelson and Jerry Stackhouse's agent, Jeff Schwartz, indicated Sunday that both sides are hopeful to reach an agreement this week

Findog
07-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Don't see how it can happen, but if Wallace is insistent on going elsewhere, and the Bobcats see Terry as an upgrade over Felton, then I don't know why they wouldn't salvage something for him.

But there's a lot of other teams out there that want him too. I'd much prefer though to slide Josh over to the 2 and bring in Wallace to play the 3 than keep chasing after KG.